LTH Home

Trader Joe's - I don't get it

Trader Joe's - I don't get it
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 10 of 10 
  • Post #271 - February 6th, 2021, 7:27 pm
    Post #271 - February 6th, 2021, 7:27 pm Post #271 - February 6th, 2021, 7:27 pm
    I got to our TJ's about once a week, and it's always been as great and safe an experience as I'd like. Interestingly, I did find myself in a different Trader Joe's a few weeks back, and while equally cautious their safety precautions were still somewhat different than those at our local store. (For example: everyone checking out lined up snaking through the store, and when you reached the end they directed you to registers as they opened up, rather than have people line up, social distanced, in individual lanes, as they do at our local store). So I asked, and learned that apparently each store gets to set their own safety rules, at least to some extent, since I assume there must be some consistent requirements they all adhere to.

Anyway, I have not once been to TJ's this past year (!) and felt it teetering on the brink of chaos, as it's sometimes felt at more conventional supermarkets I've been to. So points for that, and if it means standing outside for five minutes, so be it. It beats the alternative.
  • Post #272 - February 6th, 2021, 7:43 pm
    Post #272 - February 6th, 2021, 7:43 pm Post #272 - February 6th, 2021, 7:43 pm
    Choosing to arrive during the last 15 minutes of senior hour usually will get you there during the quietest time of all. Usually NO waiting in line outside at all. There are also fewer people remaining inside from the early senior hour and if you are purposeful in your shopping you may be out of there before senior hour ends.
  • Post #273 - February 7th, 2021, 6:56 am
    Post #273 - February 7th, 2021, 6:56 am Post #273 - February 7th, 2021, 6:56 am
    I don't know, it probably has as much to do with the customer demographics of my nearest TJ's in Wheaton, but a recent trip there was the most fraught shop I've had since the beginning of the pandemic (well there was that anti-masker berating fellow shoppers at ALDI over the summer.) But the frozen aisle at TJ's was sardine-canned, the only shopping experience of the past 11 months when my body made contact with a stranger's. People just not paying any attention to the physical space of others. Not okay (even in non-pandemic times.) I had a slightly less harrowing, but similar experience at my one trip last year to Wheaton Whole Foods.

To Wheaton TJ's credit – the door was staffed with someone sanitizing carts and the check-out protocol was spaced out as mentioned above. It sure didn't seem like the count of guests was being regulated though.

TJ's isn't essential enough for us to take that risk. There's a handful of snacks we love – the sea salt and turbinado sugar dark chocolate almonds & the Thai lime and chili cashews and their Le Delice De Bourgogne is a favorite cheese bargain. Those are all indulgences though. Otherwise, canned tuna and kosher dills are probably the only staples that we seek out there. Oh and the gyoza a'int too bad.
  • Post #274 - February 7th, 2021, 8:51 am
    Post #274 - February 7th, 2021, 8:51 am Post #274 - February 7th, 2021, 8:51 am
    The stores that I have been the most apprehensive about being in since the pandemic started were Walmart and Sam's Club. I had to go to Walmart last June to pick up some potting soil because everybody else was out of the kind that I like. I am not crazy about Walmart, and back then they were limiting the number of people in the store, but the first time I went there, the store was closed, and I found out they closed at 5:00 because of all of the unrest here. When I finally made it into Walmart a few days later, they were limiting the number of people in the store, but I still felt uncomfortable because people were not social distancing. I have not been to Walmart since the end of June. I get all of my prescriptions at Sams Club, and so I am forced to go there. Every time I go there, I see all kinds of people who are not wearing their mask correctly, and I try to limit the amount of time I spend in the store. I don't have that experience with the Evanston Trader Joe's though. They are currently the only store limiting the number of people in their store.

I have found with Jewel when I go late in the evening the crowds are really small, and you are mostly just dealing with the night crew. Whole Foods unfortunately is only open until 9:00, and so it is harder to avoid large crowds, and yes they do have arrows on the aisles, but a lot of people don't follow them.
  • Post #275 - February 7th, 2021, 9:52 am
    Post #275 - February 7th, 2021, 9:52 am Post #275 - February 7th, 2021, 9:52 am
    At the 3 Trader Joe’s I have shopped at I have even seen customers regulate themselves outside. It’s a one person out, one person in system. One cart cleaner/door watcher/people counter started to give a nod to a very elderly couple waiting in the cold together and they shook their head “no” and gestured to the single person waiting in line behind them to go ahead of them. That person smiled, shook their head too and waited for a second person to exit so the very elderly couple could enter to shop together. That is the kind of thoughtfulness I see at Trader Joe’s.
    I assume the person at the door would have evened the count before allowing the next person it.
  • Post #276 - February 7th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    Post #276 - February 7th, 2021, 12:08 pm Post #276 - February 7th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    The staff at our Trader Joe's (Oak Park) was handing out water bottles to those in line last summer.

It's kind of amazing how much behavior can vary from village to village, town to town, city to city, store to store.
  • Post #277 - February 7th, 2021, 5:08 pm
    Post #277 - February 7th, 2021, 5:08 pm Post #277 - February 7th, 2021, 5:08 pm
    I simply refused to go to Traders Joe last summer. I was not willing to stand in the sun with no protection.

This winter has been no problem, because there is no line.

For those of you who don't consider this theater, I'm thrilled that you have a place to go. I can get by very easily without this store. I don't understand how Traders Joe represents less of a problem to you in shopping than Jewel.
  • Post #278 - February 7th, 2021, 6:44 pm
    Post #278 - February 7th, 2021, 6:44 pm Post #278 - February 7th, 2021, 6:44 pm
    I stood in line at the Evanston Farmer's Market most weeks when I bought something from Nichol's. It was worth it for me because I really like their stuff. I did not buy from them every week though. I am not as big of a Trader Joe's fan here as some people are. I think I have been there three times since the pandemic started. I mostly go to Jewel and Whole Foods and the farmers market, but I mostly go to Jewel after 8:00 in the evening when I mostly only have to deal with the night crew. I did go to Jewel and Whole Foods on New Years Eve, and I was not sure how late the store was going to be open, and so I went there at 5:00, and it was definitely busier at both stores than I would have liked. Out of the three times I went to Trader Joe's, I only had to wait in line very long in the beginning of the pandemic when everybody was hoarding. I would rather wait in line for a few minutes, than have to deal with tons of people at Jewel or Sam's Club or Walmart.

The Evanston Jewel on Chicago Avenue was limiting people in the store last Spring. I went to Jewel one Saturday afternoon in April, and never again. After the COVID cases got better during the summer they quit limiting the number of people in the store, and then when the cases went up again, nobody but Trader Joe's limited the number of people in the store. Back in May and June, Aldi's, Walmart, and Sam's Club were also limiting the number of people in the store.
  • Post #279 - February 7th, 2021, 11:47 pm
    Post #279 - February 7th, 2021, 11:47 pm Post #279 - February 7th, 2021, 11:47 pm
    Somewhat off topic, but following others' lead: I believe the greatest danger is being near the same person for an extended period of time. So, I'm less worried about quickly passing someone in an aisle than I am about standing in a line, whether to enter a store or at a checkout.

I was also dismayed when Walmart and Target had only one entrance open as that lead to more time spent traipsing through the store to get to the specific area of interest. Particularly at our local Target where the door in use was the one furthest from the service desk, essential to returning items from online orders. Yup, I know they said it was a necessary move for counting customers. Hard to believe that companies that spend billions on technology couldn't implement systems to add and subtract two numbers.
  • Post #280 - February 8th, 2021, 11:24 am
    Post #280 - February 8th, 2021, 11:24 am Post #280 - February 8th, 2021, 11:24 am
    Over at the Kosher Jewel on Howard in Evanston, they were open 24 hours before the pandemic, and I assume they have gone back to that They have two entrances at that store, but one of them is always kept locked over night. I think so they only have to keep track of one entrance. Only having one entrance open helps them keep track of who is not wearing a mask.
  • Post #281 - May 17th, 2021, 12:06 pm
    Post #281 - May 17th, 2021, 12:06 pm Post #281 - May 17th, 2021, 12:06 pm
    Hi- A friend of mine told me Saturday that Trader Joe's stopped limiting the number of people in the store a few weeks ago. She quit going there for a while, because she did not want to wait in line in the cold weather. I know some other people loved the store because of their COVID precautions. The only other complaint I have heard about them is that they don't do delivery, and don't want to start doing it.

In Trader Joe's stores nationally they also just got rid of the mask requirement, and so did Walmart and Costco, but in Illinois people still have to wear masks in those stores because the Illinois Public Health department still requires masks in all stores. Illinois is tentatively moving to stage 5 on 6/11, and I assume that means that they will get rid of the mask requirement then.
  • Post #282 - May 17th, 2021, 1:40 pm
    Post #282 - May 17th, 2021, 1:40 pm Post #282 - May 17th, 2021, 1:40 pm
    https://www.costco.com/coronavirus.html

May 14, 2021

Dear Costco Member,

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control recently announced new guidance regarding COVID-19 and vaccines. Among other things, the CDC now says that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask in most settings, except where required by state and local laws. People are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine.

Based on this new guidance regarding vaccine effectiveness, beginning May 14, 2021, we are modifying our policy regarding face coverings in some U.S. Costco locations.

U.S. locations with no state or local mask requirements - revised policy
    In Costco locations where the state or local jurisdiction does not have a mask mandate, we will allow members and guests who are fully vaccinated to enter Costco without a face mask or face shield. We will not require proof of vaccination, but we ask for members’ responsible and respectful cooperation with this revised policy. Face coverings will still be required in healthcare settings, including Pharmacy, Optical, Hearing Aid. Costco continues to recommend that all members and guests, especially those who are at higher risk, wear a mask or shield.

U.S. locations with state or local mask requirements - no policy change
    In those Costco locations where the state or local jurisdiction does have a mask mandate, we will follow the state or local regulations and continue to require members and guests to wear a face mask or face shield. Children under the age of 2 are exempt. If a member or guest has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, they must wear a face shield.

As before, our goal is to continue to provide a safe shopping environment for our members and guests and to provide a safe work environment for our employees, while following public health advice and applicable laws.

Thank you for your continued cooperation and support.

Craig Jelinek
    President and CEO
    Costco Wholesale
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more