LTH Home

Get apricots now!

Get apricots now!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Get apricots now!

Post #1 - July 10th, 2008, 7:48 am
    Post #1 - July 10th, 2008, 7:48 am Post #1 - July 10th, 2008, 7:48 am
    Maybe because last year's crop was relatively non-existent, I had forgotten just how wonderful freshly picked, ripe apricots are. They're abundant now at local farmers markets, and I just bought a quart of juicy, sweeter-than-candy golden fruit this morning at Daley Plaza. Eaten straight out of hand on my walk to work, these babies belong at the very top of the Best Thing You've Eaten Lately thread. Get 'em while they last. My recommendation: don't mess with them. No recipes, no cooking, no chopping or peeling. Just eat.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #2 - July 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm
    Post #2 - July 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm Post #2 - July 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm
    Kenny, you're killin me!

I just left Daley Plaza with both arms full of produce, and decided to SKIP the apricots (only seen at one vendor) because I remember thinking that last year they were mushy and bleah-tasting. I will pray someone has them at the Wicker Park market on Sunday and if so will take your advice to eat all of them on the walk home.

On a side note, the blueberries, raspberries and asparagus from northern Michigan I am enjoying for lunch are fabulous.

Susan
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #3 - July 10th, 2008, 2:53 pm
    Post #3 - July 10th, 2008, 2:53 pm Post #3 - July 10th, 2008, 2:53 pm
    I saw them, too, and opted not to buy because I could barely walk away with what I already had purchased. I'm hoping this vendor is at Federal Plaza on Tuesday.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #4 - July 10th, 2008, 3:07 pm
    Post #4 - July 10th, 2008, 3:07 pm Post #4 - July 10th, 2008, 3:07 pm
    there were actually 2 Michigan vendors today selling apricots - relatively cheap too. I paid 5 bucks for 2 boxes totalling about 30 apricots.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #5 - July 10th, 2008, 9:53 pm
    Post #5 - July 10th, 2008, 9:53 pm Post #5 - July 10th, 2008, 9:53 pm
    Having had one earlier this morning from I believe Hillside Orchards (the ones with the chestnut honey), it was awesome. I was so excited. Apricot-Lavender jam here we come.

Speaking of stone fruits, I had my first "local" peach this weekend from a NYC farmer's market. It too was awesome.
    MAG
    www.monogrammeevents.com

"I've never met a pork product I didn't like."
  • Post #6 - July 11th, 2008, 6:45 am
    Post #6 - July 11th, 2008, 6:45 am Post #6 - July 11th, 2008, 6:45 am
    MAG, are your jam/spice combinations your own invention? Apricots and lavendar sounds terrific!
  • Post #7 - July 11th, 2008, 7:01 am
    Post #7 - July 11th, 2008, 7:01 am Post #7 - July 11th, 2008, 7:01 am
    I was thinking the same thing! I bought a couple bunches of lavender and its perfume is amazing. It never occurred to me to use it in a jam, or in any cooking for that matter. I suppose that I could afford to be more adventurous with all the amazing produce...I'm just afraid of ruining it!

In any event, I'm praying for apricots to magically appear this weekend. Perhaps I'll have to head over to Green City Market tomorrow morning, if they're really that fantastic.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #8 - July 11th, 2008, 8:24 am
    Post #8 - July 11th, 2008, 8:24 am Post #8 - July 11th, 2008, 8:24 am
    I also got some at the Daley Plaza market on Wed. mmmmm! One of my favorite times of year - I love the combo of apricots and cherries. Sour cherry and apricot pie - delish AND good against gout!
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #9 - July 11th, 2008, 11:48 am
    Post #9 - July 11th, 2008, 11:48 am Post #9 - July 11th, 2008, 11:48 am
    Last year apricots in southwestern Michigan were badly damaged by the Easter freeze with many growers losing their entire crop. This freeze is also why some varieties of plums were missing.

Apricots have early, mid-season and late varieties and should be around at least well into August. Mick Klug had an early variety at Lincoln Square on Tuesday that was delicious after holding for a day per Mick's recommendation. He also goes to Green City and Lincoln Park but dropped out of Federal Plaza several weeks ago.
  • Post #10 - July 11th, 2008, 1:24 pm
    Post #10 - July 11th, 2008, 1:24 pm Post #10 - July 11th, 2008, 1:24 pm
    I've been on an apricot "kick" the past week. Last Saturday I stopped at one of the fruit stores on Devon Ave. and picked-up a dozen ripe ones, and went home and started the fixings for apricot ice cream. The fruit wasn't as flavorful as I'd hoped, but I don't think the produce was local. I added some apricot preserves to the custard mixture I made before pureeing the apricots which had sat in some sugar overnight and pouring the mixture into my Cuisinart ice cream maker. The results were good, not great - though I find it a challenge go make great ice cream from fresh fruit. Mango has been the one exception (consistently great ice cream). I'll try to make it to one of the farmer's markets over the weekend, to further quench my thirst for the apricot.
  • Post #11 - July 11th, 2008, 1:36 pm
    Post #11 - July 11th, 2008, 1:36 pm Post #11 - July 11th, 2008, 1:36 pm
    MAG wrote:Having had one earlier this morning from I believe Hillside Orchards (the ones with the chestnut honey), it was awesome. I was so excited. Apricot-Lavender jam here we come.

Speaking of stone fruits, I had my first "local" peach this weekend from a NYC farmer's market. It too was awesome.

The ones I bought were also from Hillside. Hillside had first-of-the-season white peaches at the Daley Center too, though I did not try those this week

About 1/4 of the apricots were ready to eat right away, 3/4 needed a day or two. There's a tremendous difference between an apricot at its peak of ripeness and one that' just short of it. Wait it out until they have quite a bit of give when pressed, and one is heavily rewarded.

Fuckerberg on Food

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more