LTH Home

What are you making for dinner tonite?

What are you making for dinner tonite?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 50 of 51
  • Post #1471 - October 29th, 2021, 6:50 am
    Post #1471 - October 29th, 2021, 6:50 am Post #1471 - October 29th, 2021, 6:50 am
    Anywhere that you guys get just a pound or 2 of pork shoulder rather than a whole butt roast ?
  • Post #1472 - October 29th, 2021, 7:22 am
    Post #1472 - October 29th, 2021, 7:22 am Post #1472 - October 29th, 2021, 7:22 am
    lougord99 wrote:Anywhere that you guys get just a pound or 2 of pork shoulder rather than a whole butt roast ?

If a butcher shop doesn't have pork shoulder steaks precut, I ask them to cut one and have never been turned down. Guessing they can cut it into a smaller roast form as well
  • Post #1473 - October 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
    Post #1473 - October 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm Post #1473 - October 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:Anywhere that you guys get just a pound or 2 of pork shoulder rather than a whole butt roast ?

If a butcher shop doesn't have pork shoulder steaks precut, I ask them to cut one and have never been turned down. Guessing they can cut it into a smaller roast form as well

Good idea. Additionally, I occasionally see smaller pieces of butt or shoulder in the meat cases at various grocery stores. Thinking Sunset and Fresh Farms.

~Six weeks since our last curry, so it was time. And as is tradition, used it as an opportunity to get RID of quite a few items that were hanging around in the fridge . . .

Mise En Place & Takamura Migaki SG2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Fish sauce, veg oil, Japanese eggplant, 4x gelatinous pork stock, zucchini, Thai birds eye chiles & kaffir lime leaves, mung bean sprouts, basil leaves, scallion, red jalapeno, gapi, shallots, cremini mushrooms, chicken thigh meat, coconut milk, bamboo shoots, Maesri red curry paste and redbore curly kale.

Plated Up
    Red curry chicken with leftover/reheated brown jasmine rice. My serving garnished with a light dusting of Thai chile powder.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1474 - October 30th, 2021, 7:29 pm
    Post #1474 - October 30th, 2021, 7:29 pm Post #1474 - October 30th, 2021, 7:29 pm
    Tonight was an OMG night.

I made hamburgers. I almost always grind my own - grinding your own meat takes it to another level. The meat that I had was a little shy on the fat so I went down to my chest freezer to see what I could come up with. I knew that I had some chunked up pork shoulder, but it turned out to be a single mass and to much effort to just get a little fat.

Then I realized that I had a bag of cut-offs from my bacon ( the short ends and last of the big pieces that I just couldn't slice into strips. I cut them up into chunks and put them into a zip lock) I took a big handful, getting the fattiest ones and ground them with the beef.

I will never again be making hamburger without grinding bacon along with the beef. Amazing flavor.
  • Post #1475 - October 30th, 2021, 9:07 pm
    Post #1475 - October 30th, 2021, 9:07 pm Post #1475 - October 30th, 2021, 9:07 pm
    Jewel had T-bones at $6.99/lb, the last of the garden shishitos and a tomato, along with dinner kale and chives, a wilting head of lettuce I was able to get two wedges out of, bacon, blue cheese, red onion... and it was steakhouse night.

Grilled the steak and the shishitos, crumbled bacon and made blue cheese dressing, a miso dipping sauce, creamed kale.

Mmmmm.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1476 - October 30th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    Post #1476 - October 30th, 2021, 9:29 pm Post #1476 - October 30th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    JoelF wrote:Jewel had T-bones at $6.99/lb, the last of the garden shishitos and a tomato, along with dinner kale and chives, a wilting head of lettuce I was able to get two wedges out of, bacon, blue cheese, red onion... and it was steakhouse night.

Grilled the steak and the shishitos, crumbled bacon and made blue cheese dressing, a miso dipping sauce, creamed kale.

Mmmmm.

Sounds very nice. And smart move on the iceberg salvage. Tiny heads were $4/each at Fresh Farms today.

=R=
  • Post #1477 - October 31st, 2021, 8:47 am
    Post #1477 - October 31st, 2021, 8:47 am Post #1477 - October 31st, 2021, 8:47 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:... a wilting head of lettuce I was able to get two wedges out of...

Sounds very nice. And smart move on the iceberg salvage. Tiny heads were $4/each at Fresh Farms today.

=R=

Ouch! We go through salad cycles, this has been a down period, where greens are more likely to rot.

The kale was more than I could eat at dinner, it became the foundation (atop English muffins and below prosciutto) for fried eggs this morning. Probably one of the best Benedict variations I've ever had (brisket with red chile hollandaise I had in Santa Fe is still the top)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1478 - October 31st, 2021, 2:49 pm
    Post #1478 - October 31st, 2021, 2:49 pm Post #1478 - October 31st, 2021, 2:49 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:... a wilting head of lettuce I was able to get two wedges out of...

=R=

Ouch! We go through salad cycles, this has been a down period, where greens are more likely to rot.

The kale was more than I could eat at dinner, it became the foundation (atop English muffins and below prosciutto) for fried eggs this morning. Probably one of the best Benedict variations I've ever had (brisket with red chile hollandaise I had in Santa Fe is still the top)

I had my all time favorite Beni mutation
    a few years ago, in Baltimore. Each muffin half was topped with an in season pan fried soft shell crab, poached egg and hollandaise. And a side of house made scrapple.

Enjoyed at Chef John Shield’s Gertrude’s at The Baltimore Museum of Art.
    "Bass Trombone is the Lead Trumpet of the Deep."
    Rick Hammett
  • Post #1479 - October 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm
    Post #1479 - October 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm Post #1479 - October 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:I had my all time favorite Beni mutation
    a few years ago, in Baltimore. Each muffin half was topped with an in season pan fried soft shell crab, poached egg and hollandaise. And a side of house made scrapple.

Enjoyed at Chef John Shield’s Gertrude’s at The Baltimore Museum of Art.

Wow - that does sound great!

Since I was able to locate one on the bone, I had to take another shot at smoke-grilled turkey breast. This time, I had enough lead-time to marinate it . . .

Sake, Turkey Breast & Shiro Miso
    Basically, just used a big blob of the miso and mixed in enough sake to achieve a marinade-like consistency. Then, I put the turkey breast in a ziptop bag, poured the marinade over it and chilled it for ~30 hours, rotating it occasionally. After that, I wiped off the excess marinade and then, it was onto the grill . . .

Miso/Sake-Marinated Smoke-Grilled Turkey Breast
    Cooked this indirect over lump charcoal and oak chunks. I rotated it a few times during the cook. It only took about 90 minutes until the temperature in the thickest part of the breast reached 140F. From there, I tented it loosely with foil and let it rest until carving time . . .

Plated Up
    Served with shirodashi-sauteed spinach and Mrs. Suburban's 'world-famous' roasted cauliflower.

If my goal was to burn out on turkey before Thanksgiving, I believe I'm well on my way. :D

=R=
  • Post #1480 - November 1st, 2021, 6:38 pm
    Post #1480 - November 1st, 2021, 6:38 pm Post #1480 - November 1st, 2021, 6:38 pm
    It had been a while, so I decided to throw down some spaghetti (well, linguini) and meatballs. I'm not opposed to using jarred sauce -- there's one brand in particular that I like -- but this time, I really felt like making my own . . .

Sauce Mise En Place & Sukenari SG2/R2 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm
    Evoo, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, dried oregano, crushed San Marzano tomatoes, parmesan rinds, minced garlic and yellow onion. Not pictured was some red wine, which I remembered a bit later on. Let that simmer for a few hours and while it did, it was meatball time . . .

Meatball Mise En Place & Sukenari SG2/R2 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm
    This is Lidia Bastianich's recipe, which has always served me well: panko (Lidia uses fine bread crumbs), black pepper, salt, crushed garlic, finely grated parmigiano reggiano, minced parsley, eggs, ground pork and ground beef.

Convection Roasted Meatballs
    I'm too lazy to flour and fry the balls, so I usually form them, then convection roast them at 375F for about 20 minutes, rotating them halfway through. After that, they're ready for a swim in the sauce. These balls were 75-80g each, which seems like a good size.

Plated Up
    Linguini, meatballs & tomato sauce, garnished with parsley leaves (still from our garden, yay!), grated parmesan and romano. Served with a romaine/arugula salad, dressed with some leftover homemade dressing from last week.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=
  • Post #1481 - November 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am
    Post #1481 - November 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am Post #1481 - November 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am
    Cooked and enjoyed Lions Mane mushrooms last night.

I had never had them prior. Sliced them into 1" slices and dry sauteed. Once the slices started to turn brown and some of the mushrooms moisture had cooked off, I put in a couple pats of butter and seasoned with touch of salt, crushed black pepper and a bit of garlic powder.
    The verdict? Terrific! I can see how some describe a crab like texture. If one is a mushroom fan I hope you get to try making these at home, well worthwhile.

Served the shrooms with the main of grilled swordfish with a side of chilled bruschetta mixed with goat cheese crumbles (feta does nicely as well). I realize fish & seafood might not sound the best but this mix is excellent !
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #1482 - November 2nd, 2021, 6:39 pm
    Post #1482 - November 2nd, 2021, 6:39 pm Post #1482 - November 2nd, 2021, 6:39 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:Cooked and enjoyed Lions Mane mushrooms last night . . .

Nice! Prep sounds good. I've only had Lion Manes a few times but hope I get some more opportunities to cook them. A really unique flavor and texture.

Over here, back to a familiar favorite. This one started out for us many months ago as beef and bitter melon. However, it only took one trial for us to realize that bitter melon was way too bitter for us. But I loved the sauce and the prep, and figured it would work well with other vegetables. So, over the past few months, it's morphed a bit. Always beef -- not that other proteins wouldn't also work well -- and whatever veg we happen to have on hand or be in the mood for. Tonight, it was beef, long beans, Ancient Peppers and aging cremini mushrooms . . .

Mise En Place & Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Marinated pepper beef tenders (soy, dark soy, Shaoxing, corn starch, baking soda, salt and veg oil), cremini mushrooms, minced ginger & minced garlic, veg oil, corn starch (for final slurry), fermented black beans, Ancient peppers (tasted like very sweet bell peppers), fermented black beans, long beans and in the pyrex, sauce (soy sauce, 4x gelatinous pork stock, LKK black pepper sauce, oyster sauce and later, the corn starch slurry).

This seems like a lot but honestly, I've done it enough times that I can really rip through it. The meat needs to marinate for 15-30 minutes, so during that time, I can prep everything else. Once the mise is set, it's maybe another 15-20 minutes of wok time and boom, done!

Plated Up
    Stir-fried beef, long beans, peppers and mushrooms over jasmine rice. Garnished with scallion greens and homemade G Wiv-recipe chili oil.

=R=
  • Post #1483 - November 5th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Post #1483 - November 5th, 2021, 6:52 pm Post #1483 - November 5th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Back in the kitchen after a couple of days away but didn't really have time to shop. So, I worked some leftover carry-out charsiu pork into yet another stir-fry that incorporated a bunch of other things that I had sitting around in the fridge . . .

Mise En Place & Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Napa cabbage, 4x gelatinous pork stock, corn starch (for slurry), Sichuan peppercorns (freshly ground), Shaoxing wine, red onion, zucchini, minced garlic & grated ginger, fried tofu, fermented black beans, charsiu pork, scallion bottoms & tops, broad bean paste, Japanese eggplant, white pepper, dark soy and soy sauce.

In just trying to get RID of stuff, I may have gotten carried away. But deciding what to use in a stir-fry is becoming a little bit less of a guessing game. There's always a certain amount of surprise at the end, after I've winged it on a stir-fry. But, I'm getting better at predicting how various combinations will turn out. This one worked out really well.

I don't use a lot of hoisin (this jar is years old) but a couple of youtube videos I watched recently showed it being combined with Sichuan flavors, so I decided to try that here. The hoisin also picked up the flavors of the charsiu really well. Predictably, the cabbage kind of melted away into a soft tangle that provided a nice textural foundation for the dish. IMO, corn starch is to stir-fry what wrapping in foil is to BBQ -- a crutch. But I'm fairly new to this, so I deploy it pretty often. :D

Plated Up
    Garnished with scallion tops and homemade chili oil. Served with reheated jasmine rice. A really nice dish and several ingredients successfully gotten RID of. :)

=R=
  • Post #1484 - November 6th, 2021, 7:21 pm
    Post #1484 - November 6th, 2021, 7:21 pm Post #1484 - November 6th, 2021, 7:21 pm
    Happily, dinner did not include any ham bologna. Decided it was time for a pot of lentil soup . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Gyuto, 210mm
    Green lentils, redbore curly kale, evoo, 4x gelatinous pork stock, yellow onion, bay leaves, celery ribs, minced garlic, carrot, smoked ham hocks, celery leaves, black pepper and salt.

Pretty standard prep, which made use of the stick blender after the hocks were removed and before the kale was added. After that, it was just a reduce/wait/re-season situation.

Plated Up
    Garnished with picked ham hock meat, celery leaves, parsley leaves and scallion tops. Served with a really lousy piece of toasted/buttered sourdough, which I did not finish! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #1485 - November 7th, 2021, 4:43 pm
    Post #1485 - November 7th, 2021, 4:43 pm Post #1485 - November 7th, 2021, 4:43 pm
    Was upstairs in my office feeling a bit peckish. Realized I had Ritz, Valentina and a can of Matiz on hand without going downstairs. Bob's yer Uncle, Sardine Sunday!

Maybe the fact I had not had a can of sardines in a few weeks but these truly hit the spot. Meaty, plump, light salt, good tasting oil and just the merest hint of smoke. Maybe I should have titled this Sunday Sardine Satisfaction

Click to enlarge

Sardine Sunday, count me a Fan!!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1486 - November 7th, 2021, 5:04 pm
    Post #1486 - November 7th, 2021, 5:04 pm Post #1486 - November 7th, 2021, 5:04 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Was upstairs in my office feeling a bit peckish. Realized I had Ritz, Valentina and a can of Matiz on hand without going downstairs.

Admitting you keep sardines upstairs is the first step to recovery
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #1487 - November 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm
    Post #1487 - November 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm Post #1487 - November 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:Was upstairs in my office feeling a bit peckish. Realized I had Ritz, Valentina and a can of Matiz on hand without going downstairs.

Admitting you keep sardines upstairs is the first step to recovery

LOL, no! This, I love. In fact, don't forget to restock. And the Bugout is a nice touch, too.

In spite of the beautiful fall day, I've been bumming about the end of daylight saving time. It sucks but I used the extra hour to try something fun today: scallion pancakes. This is a recipe/method that I saw Gao demonstrate recently on her Magic Ingredients youtube channel. Of course, she made it look a lot easier than it was because, well, she turns a mostly passive, multi-hour process into a 5-minute video. Still, though, it was pretty straightforward . . .

Mise En Place & CCK Small Carbon Cleaver
    Ingredients for the dough on are on the right: AP flour, water, yeast/sugar/salt.
    Ingredients for the filling on are on the left: Scallion bottoms and tops, AP flour, salt, baking soda, freshly ground Sichuan peppercorn, homemade Chinese 5 Spice powder and my own Chinese-inspired spice rub (which I decided to throw in there), veg oil.

The scallion bottoms are heated in the oil until they become aromatic and just begin to soften . . .

Scallion Bottom Saute

Next, while it's still hot, the sauteed scallion bottoms are poured over the dry ingredients to form a paste. While the paste is still warm, the scallion tops get worked into the paste. The baking soda keeps the scallions green, even after they've been cooked. The completed filling gets divided into 6 equal parts . . .

Scallion Paste Filling Balls

From here, 6 equal balls are made from the kneaded dough (which proofed for about 90 minutes). Each ball gets flattened out, filled with a portion ball of stuffing and rolled/folded a few times to create some layers. Once rolled to a certain point, each of the 6 pieces is cut in half, to create 12 pancakes. After that, the pancakes are lightly fried in oil on the stove top until they're golden brown and they look something like this . . .

Scallion Pancakes & Dipping Sauce
    Yeah, they look just like the ones from a restaurant . . . made by a guy on his first day! :lol: But they really hit the mark. They were lightly crisp on the outside and tender/flaky on the inside. Over the half-dozen or so recipes of hers I've made, Gao has never steered me wrong.

Main course was Sichuan-style cold, poached chicken, which is a conglomeration of a few recipes/methods I gleaned from various sources, online and off. It starts with the poaching of the bird . . .

Chicken Mise En Place & CCK Small Carbon Cleaver
    Shaoxing cooking wine, dried red chiles, chicken thighs, smashed ginger root, smashed garlic cloves, leek tops (freezer stock), and leeks roots, which impart some flavor and help collect some of the scum that forms during the poach. This is helpful, since I plan on cleaning up and reducing the poaching liquid for use down the road in other dishes.

Sauce Mise En Place & CCK Small Carbon Cleaver
    Homemade (G Wiv-recipe) chili oil, scallion tops, black vinegar, soy sauce, cilantro, minced garlic, sesame paste, Chinese celery ribs & leaves, grated ginger, salt/sugar/msg, roasted peanuts, freshly ground Sichuan peppercorns, gochugaru and toasted sesame oil.

Most of this is combined to create the sauce that's poured over the sliced, poached chicken. I held back the peanuts and some of the celery for the plating. And the reason the sesame oil is still in the bottle -- and not measured out -- is because a little goes a long way, so whenever I use it, I typically wait until everything is in, then add a wee trickle of the sesame oil to taste, so that it doesn't end up overwhelming.

Plated Up
    Sichuan-style cold, poached chicken with scallion pancake.

=R=
  • Post #1488 - November 7th, 2021, 9:36 pm
    Post #1488 - November 7th, 2021, 9:36 pm Post #1488 - November 7th, 2021, 9:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Sichuan-style cold, poached chicken with scallion pancake

In the words of the great Sarah Silverman in Jesus is Magic.
    “F*uck my Tuchus”

That looks fantastic!!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1489 - November 7th, 2021, 9:51 pm
    Post #1489 - November 7th, 2021, 9:51 pm Post #1489 - November 7th, 2021, 9:51 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Admitting you keep sardines upstairs is the first step to recovery

Is that a sardine in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1490 - November 8th, 2021, 7:37 pm
    Post #1490 - November 8th, 2021, 7:37 pm Post #1490 - November 8th, 2021, 7:37 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Sichuan-style cold, poached chicken with scallion pancake

In the words of the great Sarah Silverman in Jesus is Magic.
    “F*uck my Tuchus”

That looks fantastic!!

Thanks, Gary. I've made it a few times now and think it's a great dish to make at home. Plus, after the chicken poached, I reduced the poaching liquid down to a single quart of very aromatic, gelatinous, golden stock, some of which I used when I cooked dinner tonight.

Annoyingly, I had to take a very ill-timed work call after I started prepping dinner. When I went back to the kitchen, I'd forgotten that I hadn't taken any pictures, so I'm starting with the finished side dish . . .

Sauteed Lita Squash
    Evoo, salt, black pepper, minced garlic and a small splash of the concentrated, aromatic stock.

SausageFest!
    Charcoal-grilled cevaps, fresh Polish and unspecified lamb sausage (think wannabe merguez). It's not as much fun grilling in the dark but at least the weather was warm and the tech (cordless LED desk lamp) is in place to make it relatively easy.

Plated Up
    With a blob of the weekly slaw and some homemade sambal, which has replaced mustard as my condiment of choice with charcoal-grilled sausages.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=
  • Post #1491 - November 9th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Post #1491 - November 9th, 2021, 7:22 pm Post #1491 - November 9th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Super simple steakhouse-style . . .

Mushroom Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Red wine, evoo, black pepper, salt, 2 tubs leftover sliced onions and jalapenos from today's Indian carry-out office lunch, minced garlic, ultra-concentrated aromatic chicken stock and quartered cremini mushrooms. No one ate the onions and not wanting to waste them, I brought them home and incorporated them into our dinner.

Grilling
    Ribeyes from the butcher shop over lump charcoal. It had been a while since I'd had some proper steaks. I think that LED desk lamp and I are going to spend quite a bit of outdoor time with each other this winter. :D

Plated Up
    With sauteed spinach (evoo, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes).

=R=
  • Post #1492 - November 10th, 2021, 7:26 pm
    Post #1492 - November 10th, 2021, 7:26 pm Post #1492 - November 10th, 2021, 7:26 pm
    More fun with restaurant leftovers . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Eggs, leftover basmati rice from yesterday's carry-out lunch at work, minced garlic and grated ginger, scallion bottoms, ultra-concentrated, aromatic chicken stock, scallion tops, sliced leeks, veg oil, soy sauce, dark soy, oyster sauce and leftover char siu pork.

Felt very good make use of the leftover rice (this was just one of the three pans that went completely untouched at our lunch) and the char siu pork, which was leftover from last week. Basmati worked especially well in this application, since the grains are relatively firm and they tend not to clump. As for the liquids, to keep the finished dish from getting mushy, I used them very sparingly, only about a tablespoon of each.

Plated Up
    Char siu pork fried rice. Garnished with scallions.

=R=
  • Post #1493 - November 10th, 2021, 7:58 pm
    Post #1493 - November 10th, 2021, 7:58 pm Post #1493 - November 10th, 2021, 7:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Char siu pork fried rice. Garnished with scallions.

Looks wonderful.

The last few times with fried rice I've been making variations of Golden Fried Rice. Incorporating egg yolks in with the rice, whites separately cooked. Adds a nice richness to the the fried rice, I dig it.

Lucas Sin, Golden Fried Rice
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1494 - November 10th, 2021, 11:52 pm
    Post #1494 - November 10th, 2021, 11:52 pm Post #1494 - November 10th, 2021, 11:52 pm
    G Wiv wrote:The last few times with fried rice I've been making variations of Golden Fried Rice. Incorporating egg yolks in with the rice, whites separately cooked. Adds a nice richness to the the fried rice, I dig it.

Fascinating. I'll definitely give it a try one of these days. The method seems so counterintuitive but it looked good and as always, I trust your judgment. Thanks for the link.

=R=
  • Post #1495 - November 11th, 2021, 5:28 am
    Post #1495 - November 11th, 2021, 5:28 am Post #1495 - November 11th, 2021, 5:28 am
    Hi,

I made Korean egg rice last week. I don't know the proportions, though I had a small quantity of rice: one egg stirred into leftover rice until it was absorbed. Literally stir fry in a pan to make sure the rice does not clump. Success is the rice is not clumped, the egg is cooked (though hardly perceptible it is there), then add some soy sauce. Optionally, slivered green onions, sesame seeds, and such.

If you are not in the throw in the kitchen sink mood of making Chinese fried rice, this Korean egg rice is quite acceptable. I will certainly do it again.

In the same minimalist reheat the rice, I prefer the Filippino garlic rice more. I notice I put far more garlic than I encounter when it is made by Filippinos. It goes so well with a fried egg in the morning.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1496 - November 11th, 2021, 6:56 am
    Post #1496 - November 11th, 2021, 6:56 am Post #1496 - November 11th, 2021, 6:56 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Fascinating. I'll definitely give it a try one of these days. The method seems so counterintuitive but it looked good and as always

The egg yolk coats each grain of rice helping to keep them separate. Egg yolk also toasts up nicely giving a subtle texture to the grains. An ersatz wok hay without the super high heat of a dedicated wok burner. Don't leave out the sprinkle of sugar/salt, it seems the catalyst to bring it all together.

I've been making the first simple version on the video, super clean flavor with a surprising amount of depth.

Also, lately, I've been using the Chinese restaurant trick of adding a wee bit of chicken powder. Just one additional layer of "authentic" Chinese restaurant flavor.

Golden Fried Rice
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1497 - November 11th, 2021, 7:38 am
    Post #1497 - November 11th, 2021, 7:38 am Post #1497 - November 11th, 2021, 7:38 am
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7HjwOQPcuA

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1498 - November 11th, 2021, 8:13 am
    Post #1498 - November 11th, 2021, 8:13 am Post #1498 - November 11th, 2021, 8:13 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Korean egg rice

Just watched the video, looks very good. Simple, clean, delicious. I really like the golden fried rice I posted but this version, with the yolk and white added initially seems well worth a try.

The beginning reminded me of Tamago Gohan
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1499 - November 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Post #1499 - November 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm Post #1499 - November 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    The last few times with fried rice I've been making variations of Golden Fried Rice. Incorporating egg yolks in with the rice, whites separately cooked. Adds a nice richness to the the fried rice, I dig it.

Thanks for the video, Gary. Made it tonight and it indeed is a different and very good variation on fried rice. I added cut up shrimp.
  • Post #1500 - November 11th, 2021, 11:45 pm
    Post #1500 - November 11th, 2021, 11:45 pm Post #1500 - November 11th, 2021, 11:45 pm
    Beef rendang over cilantro rice
    Kale with Berger's country ham
    Baked apples and cherries

Before I made beef rendang from scratch, I used an Indofood spice package. The flavor was excellent. However, I had to add some corn starch after the sauce would not thicken.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more