LTH Home

What are you making for dinner tonite?

What are you making for dinner tonite?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 46 of 48
  • Post #1351 - August 17th, 2021, 7:45 am
    Post #1351 - August 17th, 2021, 7:45 am Post #1351 - August 17th, 2021, 7:45 am
    G Wiv wrote:BLT. Messy construction but delicious.

click to enlarge

BLT, count me a Fan!

Very nice. I just smoked a slab of home-cured bacon on Saturday and the BLT is calling my name as well!
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #1352 - August 17th, 2021, 8:41 am
    Post #1352 - August 17th, 2021, 8:41 am Post #1352 - August 17th, 2021, 8:41 am
    We had BLTs last night as well! Our friend gifted us with some gorgeous tomatoes and this was the best use, outside of eating them while standing over the sink. ;-) No picture, but there was tomato juice running down our arms. I call that a success!
    -Mary
  • Post #1353 - August 17th, 2021, 7:01 pm
    Post #1353 - August 17th, 2021, 7:01 pm Post #1353 - August 17th, 2021, 7:01 pm
    Back at it after a rare Monday work/dinner event. Pork tenderloin a la RID . . .

Mise En Place & Enjin SRK8 Gyuto, 210mm
    (and don't forget the Henckels boning knife :P)
    A whole messa' peppers from our CSA box (Jimmy Nardello Red, Purple Tequila, Green Bell), pork tenderloin (trimmed, trussed, oiled & seasoned), homemade shrimp stock, minced garlic, onions, leeks, homemade spice blend, evoo, fermented soybean sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine.

Used evoo to sear the pork on all sides in a carbon steel saute pan until it had browned, then removed it. After that, used all the veg to lift the fond and allowed them to cook further and soften. Once they got close to where I wanted them, I added scant amounts of all the sauce components and mixed it all together. After that, I put the tenderloins back on top of the whole deal and put the saute pan in the oven.

Pork Tenderloin & Veggies
    After about 20 minutes in the oven at 375F convection roast. Internal temperature on the pork was 136F at that point.

Plated Up
    Garnished with chives and cherry tomatoes from our garden. Pretty tasty and all things considered, pretty quick, too. The most time consuming part was prepping the tenderloin. And we used up so many nice items from our CSA box, too.

Happy Tuesday! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1354 - August 18th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    Post #1354 - August 18th, 2021, 6:50 pm Post #1354 - August 18th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    Working through some leftovers and some week-old CSA items, somehow we ended up with a meal that would have made Oakland A's fans very happy . . .

Bean Mise En Place & Katayama SG2 Suminagashi Gyuto, 210mm
    Green & yellow beans, minced garlic, peanut oil, mature black vinegar, soy sauce and 4x gelatinous pork stock.

Stir Fried Mixed Beans
    These ended up right where I wanted them -- tender but not mushy, with a thick glaze that clung to the beans.

Squash Mise En Place & Katayama SG2 Suminagashi Gyuto, 210mm
    Baby squash, microplaned ginger & minced garlic, mirin, shoyu and homemade dashi. The sauce is 5 parts dashi, 1 part shoyu and 1 part mirin.

Donburi-Style Simmered Baby Squash
    Probably not the greatest plan to go right back into the wok after the beans were done. Everything tasted great but the sauce got pretty dark.

Leftover Ribless Roast
    Garnished with chives. Just to keep things absolutely all over the place, made Korean-style dipping sauce with toasted sesame oil and coarse salt.

Plated Up
    Not the most creative use of the roast, but leftover ribless roast isn't easy to deal with. There's lots of fat and it doesn't reheat well. Otoh, the veggies were stellar.

=R=
  • Post #1355 - August 19th, 2021, 10:16 pm
    Post #1355 - August 19th, 2021, 10:16 pm Post #1355 - August 19th, 2021, 10:16 pm
    Bela Sardines = Dinner

click to enlarge

Sardines, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1356 - August 20th, 2021, 3:49 pm
    Post #1356 - August 20th, 2021, 3:49 pm Post #1356 - August 20th, 2021, 3:49 pm
    Green curry paste
    A beer is critical to the process.
  • Post #1357 - August 21st, 2021, 5:53 am
    Post #1357 - August 21st, 2021, 5:53 am Post #1357 - August 21st, 2021, 5:53 am
    Oklahoma onion burgers

• Post #1358 - August 21st, 2021, 2:40 pm
    Post #1358 - August 21st, 2021, 2:40 pm Post #1358 - August 21st, 2021, 2:40 pm
    Another weekly slaw takes form . . .

Conehead Cabbage, Carrot & Katayama SG2 Suminagashi Gyuto, 210mm
    Pretty sure this is the end of my conehead hookup for the season. They're a great variety but available only briefly.

And for lunch, some tomatoes from our garden . . .

Green Zebra & Cherokee Purple
    It's that rare time of year when harvesting is better than cooking.

Mini Tomato Sammiches
    On baguette with mayo, salt and cracked black pepper.

=R=
  • Post #1359 - August 21st, 2021, 6:35 pm
    Post #1359 - August 21st, 2021, 6:35 pm Post #1359 - August 21st, 2021, 6:35 pm
    Went the other way on dinner (the slaw will hold), with a Thai-style curry; a lot of reward, relative to the effort it requires . . .

Mise En Place & Katayama SG2 Suminagashi Gyuto, 210mm
    Poached bamboo, Thai birds eye chiles & kaffir lime leaves, carrot, tofu noodles, Thai basil (from our garden), homemade shrimp stock, homemade 4x gelatinous pork stock, shallots & sweet onion, coconut milk, Maesri red curry paste, gapi, baby zucchini, fish sauce, peanut oil and chicken thigh meat.

Onion and carrot don't normally find their way into curry around here but I had them leftover after I made the slaw, so I decided to throw them in. That's the end of my stash of poached bamboo, which I greatly prefer over canned and will definitely buy again. And I guess I've settled on the Shrimp Brand fish sauce for curries (for now), though I prefer other brands for other dishes. Also wanted to use up the end of that tub of shrimp stock but there wasn't quite enough, so I filled in with the pork stock.

Plated Up
    Red curry chicken, garnished with chives, dried Thai birds eye chile powder and crispy shallots. I stumbled upon a small head of broccoli from our CSA box after I took the mise pic and decided to break it down and chuck it in there. Good call. Those florets soaked up a lot of the liquid and delivered it right where I wanted it! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #1360 - August 22nd, 2021, 6:14 pm
    Post #1360 - August 22nd, 2021, 6:14 pm Post #1360 - August 22nd, 2021, 6:14 pm
    Sunday, Sunday, kitchen fun day. :)

First up, dinner prep (per the subject of the thread) . . .

Mise En Place & Katayama SG2 Suminagashi Gyuto, 210mm
    9-pound, bone-in pork shoulder (obviously, home-trussed :oops:), celery ribs and leaves, onions, carrots, smashed garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, beer, apple juice and evoo.

Seasoned and seared off the roast in a 7.5-qt dutch oven. It barely fit but I crammed it in there. After it was browned on all sides, I removed it and sweated the mirepoix to lift all the fond. Once all that had softened, I added splashes of beer and apple juice and transferred everything to the Instant Pot for faster cooking. 3 hours on high pressure, which turned out to be just about right. The meat was tender but not washed out.

Thinking about it later, though, there was no reason to not have just cut that enormous shoulder into a few, smaller pieces. It would have been easier to handle. It wouldn't have required trussing. It would have cooked faster and more evenly. I'm such a BBQ guy at heart, I defaulted to keeping the shoulder whole, even though I wasn't barbecuing it. Always larnin'. In any case, back to the pork later.

Next, breaking down a 15-pound watermelon from Three Sisters Garden . . .

Watermelon & Kohetsu Blue #2 Addict, 240mm
    This was a biggun'. Quite sweet for a seedless. Definitely a good choice on the knife. It handled the taxing outer cuts and the delicate inner piece work with equal aplomb.

All that prep work builds up an appetite, so next, some actual eating . . .

Pinto Beans & Somewhat Sunnyside-Up Eggs
    Two of the three eggs stayed intact. And you can kind of see the end of this week's beans under them. It was a good run for those pintos. :)

Now, back to that pork shoulder . . .

After three hours in the IP, the meat was tender but not washed out. It was a pretty big chunk so I guessed right, even though, as I mentioned above, there were better ways to handle it. I removed it from the IP, cut off the strings, spread it out a bit on a sheet pan and broiled it for a few moments to crisp it up. Meanwhile, I strained and de-fatted the cooking liquid and reduced it on the stove top. Served the shredded pork over the mirepoix and the reduced cooking liquid . . .

Plated Up
    Garnished with chives and parsley from our garden, and served with more esquites. Not getting sick of fresh sweet corn just yet but I can feel that moment approaching. ;)

I have yet another work dinner tomorrow night, so let me just say it right now . . . Happy Sunday! :)

=R=
  • Post #1361 - August 24th, 2021, 7:12 pm
    Post #1361 - August 24th, 2021, 7:12 pm Post #1361 - August 24th, 2021, 7:12 pm
    Tuesday night, grilling skirt steaks in the rain. First up, though, more tomatoes and basil from the garden . . .

Tomatoes & Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue #2 Funayuki/Gyuto, 240mm
    Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple, Unknown Red variety. basil, evoo, balsamic, salt and black pepper. Unlike with corn, asparagus, etc., I'd never get sick of peak season tomatoes. I could eat them every day.

Skirt Steaks
    Bought these from a local grocery and they were pretty bad, with an unusual off flavor. Super disappointing.

Plated Up
    With leftover baby squash and glorious homegrown tomatoes. I did my part but the steaks didn't cooperate. :(

=R=
  • Post #1362 - August 25th, 2021, 5:53 pm
    Post #1362 - August 25th, 2021, 5:53 pm Post #1362 - August 25th, 2021, 5:53 pm
    It had been a while and I was in the mood, so mapo tofu . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue #2 Funayuki/Gyuto, 240mm
    Leeks, minced garlic, silken tofu, freshly-ground Sichuan peppercorns, broad bean paste, fermented black beans, scallion bottoms, scallion tops, corn starch (for slurry), coarsely ground pork, peanut oil, soy sauce, 4x gelatinous pork stock and granulated sugar.

When I first started making this, I always used canned stock/broth. Now, I tend to always make it with homemade and it really feels like a cheat how much it improves the dish.

Plated Up
    Garnished with scallion tops. Served with jasmine rice and some very ancient Sichuan-style cucumber salad that I found in the back of the fridge. It had actually started to ferment and it tasted amazing. Next time I make it, I may let it ferment on purpose.

=R=
  • Post #1363 - August 26th, 2021, 9:42 am
    Post #1363 - August 26th, 2021, 9:42 am Post #1363 - August 26th, 2021, 9:42 am
    Gotta say I love Mapo Tofu. Yours looks very good. I haven't made it lately but this inspired me to get moving on doing it. Usually been going to a place called NIHAO in Men. Falls area. They have an American and Chinese menu. They do a nice job. Maybe why I haven't made any lately. That is going to change very soon. Thanks.
  • Post #1364 - August 26th, 2021, 10:27 am
    Post #1364 - August 26th, 2021, 10:27 am Post #1364 - August 26th, 2021, 10:27 am
    Puckjam wrote:Gotta say I love Mapo Tofu. Yours looks very good. I haven't made it lately but this inspired me to get moving on doing it. Usually been going to a place called NIHAO in Men. Falls area. They have an American and Chinese menu. They do a nice job. Maybe why I haven't made any lately. That is going to change very soon. Thanks.

Thanks. I started making it regularly when it became harder to get my favorite restaurant versions. It was a dish I really missed but when it was easily available, I wasn't sufficiently motivated to learn it. If I'd had a reliable, nearby place that served it, that would have probably been the end of it. Now, it make it whenever I'm in the mood for it. The pinch points are leeks and ground pork. I don't typically keep them on hand. For me, the rest is pantry, as I always have tofu in the fridge. That said, canned stock/broth definitely works, but homemade really improves it. And even that can easily be kept on hand in the freezer (the pork too, for that matter).

=R=
  • Post #1365 - August 27th, 2021, 6:25 pm
    Post #1365 - August 27th, 2021, 6:25 pm Post #1365 - August 27th, 2021, 6:25 pm
    It had been a couple of weeks and I definitely felt the need to cook but I was looking for something simple, so back to Dinner 101, aka grilled chicken thighs. But first, side dish prep . . .

Mise En Place & Kuwabara White #2 Tall Petty, 115mm
    Garlic chives, minced garlic & grated ginger, Japanese eggplant, corn starch (for slurry), soy sauce, 5-year black vinegar, veg oil and 4x gelatinous pork stock.

Hadn't used the kuwabara in a few months. Fun but definitely in need of a sharpening before the next time out.

Stir Fried Eggplant
    Garnished with garlic chives.

Grilling
    Seasoned with Manale spice mix. These were pretty big and took nearly 30 minutes to cook, covered, on the indirect side of the fire.

Plated Up
    Long week at work. Felt good to put that on the shelf and disengage via a little cooking.

=R=
  • Post #1366 - August 27th, 2021, 9:33 pm
    Post #1366 - August 27th, 2021, 9:33 pm Post #1366 - August 27th, 2021, 9:33 pm
    Fried Dace with salted black bean in oil + Rice = Dinner

click on image to enlarge

Fried Dace with salted black bean, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1367 - August 28th, 2021, 8:15 am
    Post #1367 - August 28th, 2021, 8:15 am Post #1367 - August 28th, 2021, 8:15 am
    Have you used the fried dace as a base for fried rice? Chinese Food Demystified has a video on it. We have done it a couple of times and enjoyed it.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #1368 - August 28th, 2021, 8:35 am
    Post #1368 - August 28th, 2021, 8:35 am Post #1368 - August 28th, 2021, 8:35 am
    bw77 wrote:Have you used the fried dace as a base for fried rice? Chinese Food Demystified has a video on it. We have done it a couple of times and enjoyed it.

Yes, absolutely, its a terrific ingredient for fried rice or veg. Here are a coupe of sources I like, including the Chinese Food Demystified you mention.

Leela Punyaratabandhu https://tastecooking.com/youre-invited-join-cult-dace/

Chinese Cooking Demystified https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEC5ZfsOYp0 The quintessential Cantonese condiment - Fried Dace with Black Bean
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1369 - August 28th, 2021, 8:42 am
    Post #1369 - August 28th, 2021, 8:42 am Post #1369 - August 28th, 2021, 8:42 am
    Thanks!
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #1370 - August 28th, 2021, 4:05 pm
    Post #1370 - August 28th, 2021, 4:05 pm Post #1370 - August 28th, 2021, 4:05 pm
    We're having friends over tonight, so I decided to bust out another ribless roast on the Weber . . .

Trussed, Oiled & Seasoned
    Even boneless, this bigboi came in at just under 8 pounds.

15 Minutes In On The Kettle
    Destination 125F. I've got a small fire going of lump charcoal and oak. And once again, the high-tech aluminum foil baffling system.

Our friends are bringing salad, dessert, etc., but I figured mushrooms would go well with the ribless roast . . .

Mushroom Mise En Place & Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue #2 Funayuki/Gyuto, 240mm
    Creminis, shallots, red wine, minced garlic, 4x gelatinous pork stock, black pepper, salt and evoo.
    This is pretty much the default mushroom prep over here, especially when serving with beef.

Low & Slow
    The creminis will release their moisture then reabsorb all the flavors in the pot. When the final liquid is mostly reduced, mount with butter and serve.

Grill-Smoked Ribless Roast
    This took about 2.5 hours to get to 125F. I really like the B&B lump charcoal. It's typically very big, long-burning pieces, which are ideal for a longer cook. The B&B, combined with a couple of chunks of oak, was a great combination.

Hoping to check back in later with some results/plated photos but with friends coming over, that might be iffy.

=R=
  • Post #1371 - August 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm
    Post #1371 - August 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm Post #1371 - August 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hoping to check back in later with some results/plated photos but with friends coming over, that might be iffy.

Tonight's ribless roast turned out really well . . .

Plated Up
    Grill-Smoked ribless roast, slow-cooked mushrooms and an excellent 'ratatouille salad' that our friends brought. The greens were spinach and arugula, and it was topped with grilled pieces of squash, eggplant and tomato -- veggies typically found in a ratatouille -- and dressed with a nicely balanced vinaigrette.

p.s. Those B&B lumps have burned a long time. I started that half-chimney fire at 1 pm and now, nearly 12 hours later, the kettle is still too hot to cover.

=R=
  • Post #1372 - August 29th, 2021, 5:35 am
    Post #1372 - August 29th, 2021, 5:35 am Post #1372 - August 29th, 2021, 5:35 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Plated Up

Beautiful, nice plating. That steak knife is swoonworthy.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1373 - August 29th, 2021, 6:38 am
    Post #1373 - August 29th, 2021, 6:38 am Post #1373 - August 29th, 2021, 6:38 am
    You have probably said in the charcoal thread, but where do you purchase your B&B lump.
  • Post #1374 - August 29th, 2021, 8:51 am
    Post #1374 - August 29th, 2021, 8:51 am Post #1374 - August 29th, 2021, 8:51 am
    you can buy the B & B at mutual hardware at 22 and 41.

Ronnie- do you use the hickory blend or mesquite blend? the chunks in my bag of mesquite were huge, the hickory is more manageable, but my mesquite may have been an outlier.

-Will
  • Post #1375 - August 29th, 2021, 9:06 am
    Post #1375 - August 29th, 2021, 9:06 am Post #1375 - August 29th, 2021, 9:06 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Plated Up

Beautiful, nice plating. That steak knife is swoonworthy.

Thanks. My friends' salad made the plate. The Misen steak knives are okay. These are the AUS 8, non-serrated, which I don't believe they make anymore.

WillG wrote:you can buy the B & B at mutual hardware at 22 and 41.

Ronnie- do you use the hickory blend or mesquite blend? the chunks in my bag of mesquite were huge, the hickory is more manageable, but my mesquite may have been an outlier.

That's where I got it. I've used them all and prefer the Oak, in the brown bag. Yes, the pieces in all the types can be very big. Maybe not the best for chimney-started weeknight grilling but ideal for longer cooks, especially in the offset. Of course they can be broken into smaller pieces but I just can't make myself do that. ;)

=R=
  • Post #1376 - August 29th, 2021, 9:19 am
    Post #1376 - August 29th, 2021, 9:19 am Post #1376 - August 29th, 2021, 9:19 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:The Misen steak knives are okay. These are the AUS 8, non-serrated, which I don't believe they make anymore.

Ahhh, nice but not swoonworthy. I did not look close enough and initially thought pictured steak knife might be from your Lucas Gumbiner set. Now those are Swoonworthy!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1377 - August 29th, 2021, 11:14 am
    Post #1377 - August 29th, 2021, 11:14 am Post #1377 - August 29th, 2021, 11:14 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:The Misen steak knives are okay. These are the AUS 8, non-serrated, which I don't believe they make anymore.

Ahhh, nice but not swoonworthy. I did not look close enough and initially thought pictured steak knife might be from your Lucas Gumbiner set. Now those are Swoonworthy!

When you come over, I'll break out the Gumbiners. For these guys, that wasn't going to happen. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #1378 - August 29th, 2021, 5:58 pm
    Post #1378 - August 29th, 2021, 5:58 pm Post #1378 - August 29th, 2021, 5:58 pm
    A quickie stir fry for dinner . . .

Preliminary Mise En Place & Konosuke Fujiyama FM White #1 Gyuto, 210mm
    Left side, marinade (front to back): veg oil, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, salt, baking soda, corn starch and Shaoxing wine.
    Right side, sauce (front to back): soy sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, black bean garlic sauce and pork stock.

A bit of a gather but overall, not too ridiculous an ingredient count.

Mise En Place
    Long beans, red bell pepper, slivered garlic, marinated beef (pepper steak tenders, whatever those are), sliced ginger, scallions and veg oil.

The first time I made this, I used bitter melon, which I did not like because I found it way too bitter. I've done it a few times since then and now just use whatever veg I have on hand. So today, long beans and bell peppers.

Plated Up
    With some Zojirushi'd jasmine rice, and garnished with every bit of greenery that I'd already prepped earlier in the day. :D

=R=
  • Post #1379 - August 30th, 2021, 3:49 pm
    Post #1379 - August 30th, 2021, 3:49 pm Post #1379 - August 30th, 2021, 3:49 pm
    Had the kids (including the Kosher-keeping d-i-l) and grandkids (them too) over for dinner last night. Trader Joe's only had one 1lb package of chicken thighs, but had plenty of (bone in) turkey breast. Deboning them was more work than I wanted (and I ended up with a turkey slider to taste-test my seasonings from the meaty bits I couldn't cut cleanly), then cubed into shish kabob size.
    Marinade was garlic, cumin, coriander, powdered ginger, a little of my favorite sun-dried chile powder, paprika, allspice, lemon juice, olive oil, s&p.
    Made tahina sauce (tahina, water, lemon, garlic, salt), red zhoug trying to reproduce Pita Inn's hot sauce (tomato, bell pepper and red jalapeno from the garden, garlic, fresh ginger, olive oil, a little sherry vinegar and lemon juice, cumin, salt), and tried to make toum (garlic, lemon, salt, oil) but it wouldn't emulsify (I got a nice suspension, but it just wouldn't fluff, even after I added a little tahina), and bottled amba.
    Pita bread from Trader Joe's is not highly recommended -- dry and crumbly, can't stuff the pita.
    Toppings included diced tomatoes, cukes, and brussel sprout leaves from the garden plus red onion.
    I was very pleased with how the meat came out -- juicy and flavorful. Kosher brining may be a factor, as was standing over a hot grill pulling off pieces as they browned.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1380 - August 30th, 2021, 7:35 pm
    Post #1380 - August 30th, 2021, 7:35 pm Post #1380 - August 30th, 2021, 7:35 pm
    A mainly-leftovers Monday. I got home from work later than usual and just wanted to cook something . . .

Mise En Place & Kuwabara White #2 Tall Petty, 115mm
    Whole cumin seed, jalapenos & serranos, spice plate (ground cumin, turmeric, hing, garam masala, salt, Kashmiri chile powder), amchur powder, grated ginger & sliced garlic, dried fenugreek leaves, okra, buttermilk, canned tomatoes (didn't think this relatively long cook would be a good allocation of my homegrowns), ghee and yellow onion.

I did want/need to get RID of the okra but it was in much better condition than than it looks in this shot. It was from a few different sources, hence the variation in color. Started by blooming the cumin seeds in the ghee and building from there . . . fresh aromatics, spices (minus the amchur), okra, then liquids. Simmered low, partially-covered, for about 90 minutes, until the liquid was reduced and the okra was suitably soft. Dashed in the amchur at the very end.

Plated Up
    Okra 'Masala' - garnished with chives.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles