LTH Home

What are you making for dinner tonite?

What are you making for dinner tonite?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 61 of 63
  • Post #1801 - April 8th, 2022, 7:25 pm
    Post #1801 - April 8th, 2022, 7:25 pm Post #1801 - April 8th, 2022, 7:25 pm
    I swear that's the same brand my mom would use when I was a kid. No clue if the recipe is similar, that recipe is gone with her.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1802 - April 8th, 2022, 8:11 pm
    Post #1802 - April 8th, 2022, 8:11 pm Post #1802 - April 8th, 2022, 8:11 pm
    JoelF wrote:I swear that's the same brand my mom would use when I was a kid. No clue if the recipe is similar, that recipe is gone with her.

We always had Pillar Rock in the house, which I'm not sure anyone ever touched. In fact, it may have been the same few cans sitting in our cabinet for the entirety of my childhood. It was my paternal grandmother who made salmon patties and I'm pretty sure she also used Pillar Rock but I don't really know for sure. What I do remember is that, as a kid, it was my most dreaded dinner.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1803 - April 9th, 2022, 6:09 pm
    Post #1803 - April 9th, 2022, 6:09 pm Post #1803 - April 9th, 2022, 6:09 pm
    Pretty straightforward beef & veg stir fry tonight . . .

Mise En Place & Sukenari ZDP189 Hairline Gyuto, 210mm
    4x gelatinous beef stock, leftover steamed broccoli (tossed this in at the very end), toasted sesame oil, veg oil, minced ginger, sliced garlic, Shaoxing cooking wine, oyster sauce, marinated pepper beef tenders (soy sauces, Shaoxing, oyster sauce, corn starch, sesame oil, veg oil), corn starch, shoyu, dark/mushroom soy sauce, yellow chives, sliced shiitakes and scallion greens & whites.

Plated Up
    Beef, broccoli and shiitake stir-fry. Garnished with gochugaru. Leftover/reheated jasmine rice, garnished with chives.

=R=
  • Post #1804 - April 9th, 2022, 9:57 pm
    Post #1804 - April 9th, 2022, 9:57 pm Post #1804 - April 9th, 2022, 9:57 pm
    Bride took note of a recipe, handed it to me and said "please make this" She has good taste in both men and recipes.

Lemon Posset, via the magnificent Jacques Pepin, was wonderful. Bonus points for using Ellen's mothers lovely serving glasses.

click to enlarge

Lemons, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1805 - April 9th, 2022, 9:58 pm
    Post #1805 - April 9th, 2022, 9:58 pm Post #1805 - April 9th, 2022, 9:58 pm
    Tonight was my version of Doner Kebab. Here's the meat part:
    This is seasoned ground chicken roasted on the Sunbeam Carousel vertical axis rotisserie = the poor man's gyros roaster.
    Homemade pita breads:
    Finished sandwich garnished with lettuce, tomato, tzakis made with homemade labne, avjar and, for those who eat them, onions:
  • Post #1806 - April 10th, 2022, 10:59 am
    Post #1806 - April 10th, 2022, 10:59 am Post #1806 - April 10th, 2022, 10:59 am
    tjr wrote:Tonight was my version of Doner Kebab . . .

Looks good. How did you season the meat?

=R=
  • Post #1807 - April 10th, 2022, 2:34 pm
    Post #1807 - April 10th, 2022, 2:34 pm Post #1807 - April 10th, 2022, 2:34 pm
    This was dinner a couple of nights ago, but I made two batches of pierogi, so the freezer would be well stocked. I learned a few things along the way.

Starting with the dough. I wanted to go with a semi-hot water pastry crust — not flaky, but sturdy enough to hold everything together. I started by melting butter in water, to just below the boil. Image194° seemed about right. The butter-water mixture was poured into AP flour, and a little salt, then mixed. On the second batch, I also added a bit of sour cream, which made for a much more cooperative dough. ImageBeing relatively lazy, I relied on my old KitchenAid mixer (older than most of my nieces and nephews) for mixing and kneading. Despite its age, it did a nice job of producing a silky, non-sticky dough.
    For batch #1, I rolled out the dough by hand, guessing on the correct thickness. Since I’d divided the dough into quarters, some of the rolled out pieces worked better than others. Batch #2 went much better when I pulled out the pasta machine, rolled to #4. Image
    Before rolling, I prepared a variety of fillings. ImageLeft to right, top row — mashed potatoes with cheese, sauerkraut, and spinach. Left to right, bottom row — sautéed onion, ground pork, sautéed mushrooms (in the leftover pork fat).
    I was using a dumpling press that makes ridiculously large pierogi — two pierogi makes an adequate serving. Not traditional, I know, but easier than making them by hand. And the dumpling press also cuts the dough to the right size. Image
    I mixed and matched fillings to stuff each one, typically three ingredients. The most common combo was sauerkraut, mushrooms and pork. The only single-ingredient pieróg were the potato-stuffed ones.
    Once they were sealed in the dumpling press, they went into boiling water. Image
    Seal one, throw it in the water, seal a second, throw it in the water, seal a third, and by this time the first has been floating a while, and ready to come out. (Each one gets flipped at least once so the dough on both the top and bottom gets cooked through.) And so on.
    Before serving, each pieróg got fried in butter. Image
    After frying, and ready to serve with a dollop of sour cream. Image
    Of course, since large batches were made, most went into the FoodSaver and then the freezer. Thawing them and then frying makes for a quick dinner on a busy night.
  • Post #1808 - April 10th, 2022, 3:27 pm
    Post #1808 - April 10th, 2022, 3:27 pm Post #1808 - April 10th, 2022, 3:27 pm
    That is just a WOW!!
  • Post #1809 - April 10th, 2022, 5:30 pm
    Post #1809 - April 10th, 2022, 5:30 pm Post #1809 - April 10th, 2022, 5:30 pm
    Ditto! Those pierogi look delicious!

Does it work to re-roll the scraps from cutting circles or are they too small to bother with?
    Last edited by tjr on April 10th, 2022, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #1810 - April 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm
    Post #1810 - April 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm Post #1810 - April 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: tjr wrote:Tonight was my version of Doner Kebab . . .

This is a rough recipe as I sort of wing it, adapted from one for boneless chicken breast doner:
    1.5 lb ground chicken
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp urba biber pepper (can substitute Aleppo or other red pepper)
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    juice of 1/4 lemon
    Beat together vigorously. The ground chicken will absorb any juice from the package and become stiff or tacky as the salt is mixed in thoroughly. Allow to stand for a few minutes and beat again - that will increase the stiffness. (Really, it's making a big skinless sausage.) Taste by putting a teaspoonful into a ramekin and microwaving for several seconds to cook. Correct seasoning if desired. Form into a ball and put in rotisserie. Roast until at least 160F internally.

I just realized I forgot the tomato paste yesterday. And normally I use mixed ground chicken but this time I had all-white-meat. Usually the meat is a darker color.
  • Post #1811 - April 10th, 2022, 6:28 pm
    Post #1811 - April 10th, 2022, 6:28 pm Post #1811 - April 10th, 2022, 6:28 pm
    nr706 wrote:This was dinner a couple of nights ago, but I made two batches of pierogi, so the freezer would be well stocked. I learned a few things along the way.

Gorgeous, Tom. Looks like a ton of work that was well worth it. :)

tjr wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: tjr wrote:Tonight was my version of Doner Kebab . . .

This is a rough recipe as I sort of wing it . . .

Thanks, for sharing this. It looks really good. I've made gyros from dark meat chicken that turned out really well, so this seems like it'd work out well, tomato paste or not. :wink:

I already know we're not having lamb next Sunday for Easter (our host usually serves ham and beef), so figured I'd try an experiment and smoke a boneless leg of lamb on the offset . . .

Boneless Leg Of Lamb
    Rubbed this exclusively with with za'atar, which I've never used in a bbq application before. Between that and never having smoked any cut of lamb before, it was a double experiment.

And, while the lamb smoked, of course there was side-dish prep . . .

Rancho Gordo French Green Lentils

Lentil Mise En Place & Sukenari ZDP189 Hairline Gyuto, 210mm
    Salt, black pepper, rinsed lentils, parsley leaves, minced garlic, evoo, 4x gelatinous beef stock, celery, carrot, bay leaf and onion. Used the remainder of the concentrated stock and topped off with water as needed.

Cucumber Salad Mise En Place & Sukenari ZDP189 Hairline Gyuto, 210mm
    Salt, black pepper, minced garlic, yogurt, mint leaves, fresh dill, evoo, dried oregano, tomatoes, sliced English cucumber (salted), and lemon.

~55 degrees F, sunny and a gentle breeze -- a beautiful day to fire up the offset cooker . . .

Horizon 20" Ranger Offset Cooker
    Burning at a nice and even ~275F most of the way. Hard to believe it but I'm coming up on my 10th anniversary of owning this rig. The green bottle is a mister filled with a "mop" of apple juice and splashes of a couple of different types of vinegars.

Smoking
    A quick peek inside -- and a spritz -- at the 2.5-hour mark. Looking good. I ended up wrapping it in butcher paper not long after this and leaving it on the smoker for another few hours, until it got tender.

Plated Up
    With some homemade bbq sauce. In the end, I thought the smoked lamb was just okay. Leg's not a great cut for smoking. It took the smoke well, had nice flavor -- the za'atar worked great -- and got tender but it's relatively lean, which produced a drier final product than I would have liked. Really glad I tried it but if I smoke lamb again, I'll have to find something fattier than leg.

=R=
  • Post #1812 - April 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm
    Post #1812 - April 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm Post #1812 - April 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm
    I bought some halal lamb shoulder the other day from Lebanese Meat Mkt @ 4657 N Kedzie. He took out the primal, asked me how much I wanted and cut it w/a bandsaw to my specs. I ended up 2 full shoulders and it was superb. I would suggest that. It was also quite reasonable. 18 lbs cost $105.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #1813 - April 10th, 2022, 10:56 pm
    Post #1813 - April 10th, 2022, 10:56 pm Post #1813 - April 10th, 2022, 10:56 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Really glad I tried it but if I smoke lamb again, I'll have to find something fattier than leg.

Lamb breast is one of my favorite things to smoke. As is lamb breast is the same cut as spare ribs from a piggy. Cut off the breast bone/tips and you have Denver ribs, same as Saint Louis Ribs. Retail I buy mine at Fresh Farms on Touhy.

click to enlarge

Lamb Breast, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1814 - April 10th, 2022, 11:00 pm
    Post #1814 - April 10th, 2022, 11:00 pm Post #1814 - April 10th, 2022, 11:00 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Really glad I tried it but if I smoke lamb again, I'll have to find something fattier than leg.

Lamb breast is one of my favorite things to smoke. As is lamb breast is the same cut as spare ribs from a piggy. Cut off the breast bone/tips and you have Denver ribs, same as Saint Louis Ribs. Retail I buy mine at Fresh Farms on Touhy.

Bingo! Thank you. In the end, I re-learned a lesson that I kind of already knew and apparently, had forgotten. There are essentially 2 paths for leg of lamb, roasting or braising. Even with mopping, the slow, dry cook did not produce a great result. I wish I'd remembered that when the haunch hit 130F while it was in the smoker. I think it would have been much, much better if I'd just taken it out then. I've made bacon from lamb breast before and I will definitely pick some up next time I feel like smoking some lamb.

=R=
  • Post #1815 - April 11th, 2022, 7:30 am
    Post #1815 - April 11th, 2022, 7:30 am Post #1815 - April 11th, 2022, 7:30 am
    G Wiv wrote:

You've stirred up memories of one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten, from just over 40 years ago. Northwestern University has (had?) a spring festival they called Armadillo Day. The Greek Club (as opposed to the fraternities) was spit-roasting a lambs, basting them with olive oil using a sprig of oregano. They handed me a rib, and to this date it's probably on my top ten bites list. Along with live music by Muddy Waters, a very memorable day.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1816 - April 11th, 2022, 8:33 am
    Post #1816 - April 11th, 2022, 8:33 am Post #1816 - April 11th, 2022, 8:33 am
    BBQ mutton is a specialty of Owensboro, KY, and it can be pretty darn good. I think some of the Owensboro pitmasters just smoke the whole sheep, or big hunks of it. The larger size probably keeps the whole business more moist. Not sure where you'd find mutton, unless you know a farmer.

A fattier cut makes sense but, as I understand it, you're doomed to cut off much of the exterior fat to avoid an overly gamy taste. Wrap in foil or parchment once it's partially smoked? I know "real bbq" guys turn up their noses at doing so, but it does work and really doesn't take away that much from the flavor.
  • Post #1817 - April 11th, 2022, 9:32 am
    Post #1817 - April 11th, 2022, 9:32 am Post #1817 - April 11th, 2022, 9:32 am
    tjr wrote:BBQ mutton is a specialty of Owensboro, KY, and it can be pretty darn good. I think some of the Owensboro pitmasters just smoke the whole sheep, or big hunks of it. The larger size probably keeps the whole business more moist. Not sure where you'd find mutton, unless you know a farmer.

A fattier cut makes sense but, as I understand it, you're doomed to cut off much of the exterior fat to avoid an overly gamy taste. Wrap in foil or parchment once it's partially smoked? I know "real bbq" guys turn up their noses at doing so, but it does work and really doesn't take away that much from the flavor.

Yeah, Moonlite, Old Hickory, etc. are known for it but I would guarantee you they're not starting out with anything close to the lean leg meat I had. Mutton is older, fattier and gamier than what is typically sold as lamb these days. I'm not jonesing for this as much as I was just trying to do something new with a piece of meat I had on hand. Someday, I'll take another stab at it, probably with the lamb breast Gary mentioned upthread.

=R=
  • Post #1818 - April 11th, 2022, 11:08 am
    Post #1818 - April 11th, 2022, 11:08 am Post #1818 - April 11th, 2022, 11:08 am
    tjr wrote:Does it work to re-roll the scraps from cutting circles or are they too small to bother with?

Plenty of scraps, and they re-roll well — especially with the pasta machine.
  • Post #1819 - April 11th, 2022, 6:06 pm
    Post #1819 - April 11th, 2022, 6:06 pm Post #1819 - April 11th, 2022, 6:06 pm
    It had been a while, so went with a Monday red curry chicken . . .

Mise En Place, Sukenari ZDP189 Hairline Gyuto, 210mm & Takeda NAS Honesuki 160mm
    Fish Sauce, de-boned, skin-on chicken thigh, lita squash, Thai basil leaves, sliced shiitakes, Thai birds eye chiles & kaffir lime leaves, 4x gelatinous pork stock, gapi, Maesri red curry paste, bamboo shoots, coconut milk, shallots, Bangkok blend and veg oil.

Not sure I needed to bust out the honesuki but all I had were whole thighs that needed to be de-boned before I cut them up. Having to navigate around the bone and cartilage, I figured the honesuki was the right tool for the job. It's one of only a couple left-handed knives I own, so I'm always happy to have an excuse to use it. Just a light sprinkle of the Bangkok blend on the chicken before I seared it off in veg oil.

Plated Up
    With leftover/reheated jasmine rice.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=
  • Post #1820 - April 11th, 2022, 6:26 pm
    Post #1820 - April 11th, 2022, 6:26 pm Post #1820 - April 11th, 2022, 6:26 pm
    Looks good, Ronnie. It's been a while since I made any curry.

Where did you get your Thai basil ?
  • Post #1821 - April 11th, 2022, 6:35 pm
    Post #1821 - April 11th, 2022, 6:35 pm Post #1821 - April 11th, 2022, 6:35 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Looks good, Ronnie. It's been a while since I made any curry.

Where did you get your Thai basil ?

Thanks, Lou. For a while there, I was making curry ~2x a month. I never got sick of it but my family did kind of did. So, this was only the second time I've made it this year and the first red curry of 2022.

Got the basil at Richwell Market on Dempster, as it's on my route to and from work. I think it's labeled as Vietnamese basil there. Grabbed a big bunch for just under $2. I sometimes get it at H-Mart, which is also pretty close to my office. I think it's a bit more expensive there.

=R=

Richwell Market
    6120 Dempster St
    Morton Grove, IL 60053
    (847) 929-2228

Super H-Mart
    801 Civic Center Dr
    Niles, IL 60714
    (847) 581-1212
  • Post #1822 - April 12th, 2022, 5:01 am
    Post #1822 - April 12th, 2022, 5:01 am Post #1822 - April 12th, 2022, 5:01 am
    I just can't keep Richwell at the top of my mind. It is a small gem.
  • Post #1823 - April 12th, 2022, 8:56 am
    Post #1823 - April 12th, 2022, 8:56 am Post #1823 - April 12th, 2022, 8:56 am
    lougord99 wrote:I just can't keep Richwell at the top of my mind. It is a small gem.

Yes, it really is.

Re: Thai basil, I should also mention that I've found it at Fresh Farms (Touhy, Wheeling), though availability there seems a bit more sporadic.

=R=
  • Post #1824 - April 12th, 2022, 9:48 am
    Post #1824 - April 12th, 2022, 9:48 am Post #1824 - April 12th, 2022, 9:48 am
    Grilled bone-in skin-on air-chilled chicken thighs. Marinade: Labne, lemon juice, olive oil, s/p, Spice House Chicago Fire (aka Gary Wiviott rub). 5-hours in fridge, grill. Served with grilled asparagus, eat, enjoy, repeat.

click to enlarge

Chicken, coune me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1825 - April 12th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    Post #1825 - April 12th, 2022, 3:00 pm Post #1825 - April 12th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    I've been going through cupboards and examining the freezer to find out what needs to be used. Had a package of Cincinnati Chili mix that is at least a few years old, a pound of ground venison that has been in the freezer for at least a year (so not ancient, but the usual freezer isn't designed for eons of storage), and tomato paste that had not yet outdated but was only a week way from that date. The two not old things were palm heart "spaghetti" and shredded sharp cheddar. Have to tell you, venison is great in Cincinnati chili, and with the palm hearts. it's really wonderful.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #1826 - April 12th, 2022, 6:37 pm
    Post #1826 - April 12th, 2022, 6:37 pm Post #1826 - April 12th, 2022, 6:37 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Grilled bone-in skin-on air-chilled chicken thighs. Marinade: Labne, lemon juice, olive oil, s/p, Spice House Chicago Fire (aka Gary Wiviott rub). 5-hours in fridge, grill. Served with grilled asparagus, eat, enjoy, repeat.

Yowza! That looks great, Gary.

G Wiv wrote:Chicken, count me a Fan!

It may surprise you to learn this but . . . me too! :D

Chicken thighs + charcoal + leftovers = dinner . . .

Grilling
    Seasoned with with a combo of homemade Manale spice mix and Penzey's Fox Point rub. ~24 minutes on the indirect side.

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled chicken thighs with leftover/reheated lentils and a blob of the weekly slaw.

=R=
  • Post #1827 - April 14th, 2022, 6:40 pm
    Post #1827 - April 14th, 2022, 6:40 pm Post #1827 - April 14th, 2022, 6:40 pm
    Quickie, charcoal-grilled shrimp and steamed broccoli tonight . . .

Marinade
    u8-12 shrimp, toasted sesame oil, furikake, togarashi and liquid shio koji. First time out with the liquid koji and I liked it. Tasted it on its own and got a nice, complex blast of intense umami, salty and slightly smokey. Didn't use much in the marinade but a little went a long way. Total marination time was about 45 minutes.

Steamed Broccoli Mise En Place & Sakai Takayuki, Ryky Tran Edition Blue #2 Gyuto, 240mm
    Broccoli florets, shiro miso and unsalted butter. Made an emulsion with the butter and miso to create a very addictive topping for the broccoli.

Back in the day, Ryky's youtube channel was the very first one I ever subscribed to, and I learned a ton about sharpening from watching his videos. Later, when he released these knives, I bought one to support him and his channel.

Grilling
    Just a couple minutes on each side and they were done. In the end, I guess these were u13. :D

Plated Up
    With leftover/reheated jasmine rice.

=R=
  • Post #1828 - April 16th, 2022, 2:24 pm
    Post #1828 - April 16th, 2022, 2:24 pm Post #1828 - April 16th, 2022, 2:24 pm
    Once again, weekly slaw, which will be part of our dinners (and lunches) for the next several days . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue #2 gyuto, 240mm

=R=
  • Post #1829 - April 16th, 2022, 6:30 pm
    Post #1829 - April 16th, 2022, 6:30 pm Post #1829 - April 16th, 2022, 6:30 pm
    I had so much fun with the offset smoker last weekend, I figured I'd give it another shot today, this time with chicken . . .

Smoked Chickens - 30 minutes in
    Brined them for a few hours, then rinsed, dried, trussed, oiled and seasoned them. The nearer/darker one has my homemade bbq rub. The far one is a tasty, mustard-forward commercial rub made by a friend's company. It still smelled and tasted great but the stash he gave me is getting kind of old (clumpy), so I thought it'd be a good idea to use it up. Smoking at about 250F over a combination of lump charcoal, extruded coconut and apple wood. Every 30 minutes or so, I flipped the birds and/or gave them a quick misting of apple juice, cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar . . .

Smoked Chickens - 120 minutes in
    Here, they were just about done, with an internal temp of 155F at the thigh. At this point, I opened the fire box damper all the way and let them go for another half hour or so.

Plated Up
    Smoked chicken (leg quarter and a portion of breast), leftover/reheated potato kugel & lentils, mache/arugula salad with homemade buttermilk/chive/shallot dressing. The meat was great -- juicy and smokey -- but cooking chicken low and slow, I've never really solved the rubbery skin conundrum. Some of the skin was actually crispy but I wish it all had been. Still, a really successful rep on the smoker.

=R=
  • Post #1830 - April 17th, 2022, 7:44 am
    Post #1830 - April 17th, 2022, 7:44 am Post #1830 - April 17th, 2022, 7:44 am
    Tacos Al Pastor inspired by Rick Bayless
    ImageThis is a pretty simple dish. Thin cut pork shoulder steaks, achiote paste, Chipotle chilis in adobo, red onion, oil and pineapple. In a blender make a smooth sauce from Achiote, Chipotle, Adobo sauce, water and oil. Marinate the meat in the sauce for a couple of hours.
    ImageSlice pineapple and onions into thick rings and grill until charred. Move to the cool side and let finish cooking. Make sure the fire is very hot. I want to thank Ronnie for turning me on to B&B lump charcoal. It makes a very hot fire. Fish out the pork from the sauce and char on the hot side of the grill.
    ImageSlice everything up and serve.
    Last edited by lougord99 on April 17th, 2022, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more