LTH Home

Popcorn/Popping Corn

Popcorn/Popping Corn
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - December 13th, 2020, 11:18 pm
    Post #91 - December 13th, 2020, 11:18 pm Post #91 - December 13th, 2020, 11:18 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Nope, rarely a burnt kernel.
    Is it possible your popcorn is stale? If it has lost moisture it might not pop.
    I bought new from the store, so I hope it was fresh. I'll try again. Thanks.

Sounds like it might be a thermostat issue with the popper. If it's too hot, kernels will burn before they pop. Do you have a way of measuring its temperature?

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #92 - December 13th, 2020, 11:38 pm
    Post #92 - December 13th, 2020, 11:38 pm Post #92 - December 13th, 2020, 11:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Xexo wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Nope, rarely a burnt kernel.
    Is it possible your popcorn is stale? If it has lost moisture it might not pop.
    I bought new from the store, so I hope it was fresh. I'll try again. Thanks.

Sounds like it might be a thermostat issue with the popper. If it's too hot, kernels will burn before they pop. Do you have a way of measuring its temperature?

=R=
    Yes, yes I do. I'll check on that as well. Might be time for a switch out to the, whispers so G. Wiv can't hear, wok.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #93 - December 14th, 2020, 5:06 am
    Post #93 - December 14th, 2020, 5:06 am Post #93 - December 14th, 2020, 5:06 am
    Xexo wrote:Yes, yes I do. I'll check on that as well. Might be time for a switch out to the, whispers so G. Wiv can't hear, wok.

Is one able to pop tasty popcorn in a wok, of course. I've wok popped pop corn any number of times. I've even popped delectable popcorn using off-brand popcorn from a Quick-Mart camping in the middle of nowhere over an open fire using a metal coffee tin (shout out Eight O'Clock Coffee).

Does this mean you should? Woks, like coffee tins, are thin metal and susceptible to scorching popcorn. Unless you are going for wok hay popcorn. Speaking of which, I went through a short phase of purposely burning the bottom layer of popcorn black carbonized. I liked the crunchy bitter taste with butter and hot sauce.

Popcorn is forgiving, like sex and tacos, even when bad it pretty darn good. Though if you are going to the effort of sourcing quality popcorn may as well utilize proper on-hand tools to enhance the experience, i.e. heavy lidded pot, preferably with a handle to facilitate shaking.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #94 - December 23rd, 2020, 3:56 pm
    Post #94 - December 23rd, 2020, 3:56 pm Post #94 - December 23rd, 2020, 3:56 pm
    Hi,

For reasons I cannot explain, we have not had any popcorn in a very long time. I finally did try the method of making popcorn with ghee, which gives a nice buttery taste. I used 'Lady Finger' popcorn bought for $1.53 a pound in an Amish store somewhere in Indiana. .

I found a description: "If you like small, hulless, tender popcorn, you definitely will want to try this. This tiny kernel is the tenderness around. Ladyfinger kernels are the smallest kernels that the Amish grow. Pops Yellow."

I made Dana Cree's Popcorn ice cream for my Dad's birthday. To hide the fact I was popping corn for a present. I ended up making a big batch because now people could smell it.

The Popcorn ice cream has a subtle buttery popcorn flavor. I will be curious if it is requested after the initial batch.

This was also the initial batch of ice cream made with the KitchenAid ice cream bowl. I let it spin for 30 minutes, then collected the ice cream to freeze. One person commented it was not very fluffy ice cream. I advised commercial ice cream is over processed to whip air into it.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #95 - December 28th, 2020, 10:54 am
    Post #95 - December 28th, 2020, 10:54 am Post #95 - December 28th, 2020, 10:54 am
    Wow didn't realize there could be so much to know about popcorn. For a pedestrian like me, Air popped in an Orville Redenbacher popper,
    ( never burnt and most every kernel popped). Pump sprayed Avocado oil and lightly sprinkled with Chili Powder. Works for me!
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #96 - December 30th, 2020, 3:20 pm
    Post #96 - December 30th, 2020, 3:20 pm Post #96 - December 30th, 2020, 3:20 pm
    A couple of years ago, on our way back to Montréal from NYC, we stopped off at CIA for dinner, alighting for a wait in their bar first. The bar snack was popcorn, popped in bacon grease.

I remembered this a few days ago, and tried it, finishing off with garlic salt.

Oh boy, count me a fan!!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #97 - December 30th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    Post #97 - December 30th, 2020, 3:48 pm Post #97 - December 30th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    Geo wrote:The bar snack was popcorn, popped in bacon grease.

I'm going to have some duck fat in a few days, maybe I will give that a whirl, too!

Thanks for the idea.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #98 - December 30th, 2020, 4:06 pm
    Post #98 - December 30th, 2020, 4:06 pm Post #98 - December 30th, 2020, 4:06 pm
    Made duck fat yesterday. Popcorn may be in my future.
  • Post #99 - December 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm
    Post #99 - December 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm Post #99 - December 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm
    C2 and louggord--

That sounds like a fiendishly good idea! Given how good duck-fat fries are, I can't but imagine how great ducky popcorn would be! Ummmm!

On the list now! Tnx folks!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #100 - December 30th, 2020, 8:08 pm
    Post #100 - December 30th, 2020, 8:08 pm Post #100 - December 30th, 2020, 8:08 pm
    You'll get ducked better by pouring it over the popped popcorn than popping it w/it.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #101 - December 31st, 2020, 8:07 am
    Post #101 - December 31st, 2020, 8:07 am Post #101 - December 31st, 2020, 8:07 am
    BTW, just as a sidelight on popcorn...

I've been learning to grow mushrooms since COVID. The first stage is to innoculate a hydrated, sterile grain with a liquid culture of spores in order to form a colony of grain spawn. The grain spawn is then 'seeded' into a substrate--soybean hulls, sawdust, logs, etc.--where the mushroom mycellium grows out and prepares to fruit. The mushrooms themselves are the fruit.

Well. I use popcorn for my grain! It's cheap, it's easily available, and the various mushroom cultures love it. I hydrate the popcorn in my pressure cooker, load it in mason jars, which I then sterilize in the cooker, and then innoculate with the liquid culture.

Yet another virtue of popcorn! Who knew?

Geo
  • Post #102 - December 31st, 2020, 8:24 am
    Post #102 - December 31st, 2020, 8:24 am Post #102 - December 31st, 2020, 8:24 am
    Geo wrote:BTW, just as a sidelight on popcorn...

I hydrate the popcorn in my pressure cooker, load it in mason jars, which I then sterilize in the cooker, and then innoculate with the liquid culture.

Is it popped first?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #103 - December 31st, 2020, 8:51 am
    Post #103 - December 31st, 2020, 8:51 am Post #103 - December 31st, 2020, 8:51 am
    JoelF--

No, I just dump the package of popcorn in the pressure cooker, cover with the requisite amount of water, and pressure cook for half an hour or so.

Almost any sort of grain can be used. Serious home growers tend to use rye: it's a good compromise between cost, availability, and ease of use. But it's hard to find in small amounts, and you have to keep large bags of it around. Other folks use bird seed, or millet, or just about anything. Me, I use popcorn because it's the best compromise.

Geo
  • Post #104 - December 31st, 2020, 8:58 am
    Post #104 - December 31st, 2020, 8:58 am Post #104 - December 31st, 2020, 8:58 am
    Jazzfood wrote:You'll get ducked better by pouring it over the popped popcorn than popping it w/it.

While ago I did a week of consulting in Philadelphia. They served Quite a bit of bacon and saved every drop of grease as popcorn topping. Served in brown paper bags the popcorn simply dripped bacon fat, turned the bag opaque and, on the surface, was gross as sh*t. In actual form the bacon grease topped popcorn tasted heavenly. Though 2-3 bags a day would send you to heaven early. :)

They popped the corn in neutral oil feeling, as Alan says, you get more bang for your buck as topping.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #105 - January 2nd, 2021, 5:32 am
    Post #105 - January 2nd, 2021, 5:32 am Post #105 - January 2nd, 2021, 5:32 am
    Will My Popcorn Explode?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/scie ... ticleShare
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #106 - January 2nd, 2021, 10:32 am
    Post #106 - January 2nd, 2021, 10:32 am Post #106 - January 2nd, 2021, 10:32 am
    G Wiv wrote:In actual form the bacon grease topped popcorn tasted heavenly. Though 2-3 bags a day would send you to heaven early. :)

Hog heaven, I presume.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more