LTH Home

2 Terrific WI Cheesemakers come to Green City Market

2 Terrific WI Cheesemakers come to Green City Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • 2 Terrific WI Cheesemakers come to Green City Market

Post #1 - August 20th, 2008, 12:55 pm
    Post #1 - August 20th, 2008, 12:55 pm Post #1 - August 20th, 2008, 12:55 pm
    Hidden Springs Creamery & Nordic Creamery are now sharing a stall at the market. Both have outstanding products that aren't much like anything else being sold at Green City.

Hidden Springs cheeses are all pure sheep’s milk. The fresh cheese is soft, spreadable, creamy and herbaceous. It would make an outstanding ravioli filling with some roasted cherry tomatoes, but also terrific eaten alone or on some toast. I tasted only the plain, but there was also one flavored with honey/ lavender and another with basil and sea salt. I bought an aged cheese made with raw, unpasteurized sheep’s milk. It's semi-hard, and the texture is smooth and luscious. Same herbaceousness as the fresh cheese, with more tang.

Nordic makes goat cheeses as well as goat/ cow combos. I tasted and bought something called Capriko - a semi-hard, very rich goat milk cheese flavored with cumin and clove.

Hidden Springs & Nordic are very welcome additions to the Green City Market. Their products will be on tonight's dinner table along with some outstanding local grapes from Ellis Farm.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #2 - August 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm
    Post #2 - August 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm Post #2 - August 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm
    I'm a big fan of Hidden Springs cheeses, especially the fresh cheeses. The plain Drifless goes well with the season's finest tomatoes.

For a while, Whole Foods was carrying the Driftless tubs, but I do not believe they do now. Marion St. Cheese in OP has both the plain and the aged Hidden Springs cheeses.

Grapes :?:
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - August 20th, 2008, 3:30 pm
    Post #3 - August 20th, 2008, 3:30 pm Post #3 - August 20th, 2008, 3:30 pm
    Vital Information wrote:Grapes :?:

Grapes have indeed arrived. Phenomenal, juicy, simultaneously very sweet and very tart. I went through a giant bunch with ease during the workday. Just a few left for the aforementioned dinner table.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #4 - August 3rd, 2009, 4:56 pm
    Post #4 - August 3rd, 2009, 4:56 pm Post #4 - August 3rd, 2009, 4:56 pm
    Nordic Creamery now sells butter at the Green City Market. I picked up a 12oz container for $5.50 (You can buy two for $10, if I recall). It is lightly salted and tastes amazingly good.
  • Post #5 - August 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm
    Post #5 - August 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm Post #5 - August 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm
    Kenny, I'm curious: what kind of grapes, and from whence? [I'm a loonnng-time grape grower, and I'm extremely very curious to find out about what you've gotten hold of.] Pix?

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #6 - August 4th, 2009, 3:20 pm
    Post #6 - August 4th, 2009, 3:20 pm Post #6 - August 4th, 2009, 3:20 pm
    Mick Klug (at Green City Market, among other places) also has several varieties of grapes. I don't remember all of the varieties, but I'm pretty sure that concord grapes were one. I think there were two or three others. They should be arriving soon - the grapes on the vines in my backyard are almost ready.
  • Post #7 - August 4th, 2009, 3:25 pm
    Post #7 - August 4th, 2009, 3:25 pm Post #7 - August 4th, 2009, 3:25 pm
    Klug had a bunch of varieties last year which were asskickingly fourth-dimensionally good, in fact, they made my top ten. One of the things I am eagerly awaiting this summer.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #8 - August 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm
    Post #8 - August 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm Post #8 - August 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm
    Geo wrote:Kenny, I'm curious: what kind of grapes, and from whence? [I'm a loonnng-time grape grower, and I'm extremely very curious to find out about what you've gotten hold of.] Pix?

Geo

hmm, I wonder if you realize my post was a year ago :)

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #9 - August 4th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    Post #9 - August 4th, 2009, 3:45 pm Post #9 - August 4th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    Duh. Sorry! I should be a bit more careful about dates... :oops:

But I'm still interested in whence those grapes. I've got three dozen in my backyard—winegrapes—and as noted (whenever!), nothing beats homegrown grapes for sweetness and flavor. Unfortunately, there's heavy competition for those backyard grapes. Here's what I have to do:

That was taken yesterday morning. My vines should be ripe in 3 weeks to a month.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #10 - August 8th, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Post #10 - August 8th, 2009, 4:41 pm Post #10 - August 8th, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Nordic Creamery now sells butter at the Green City Market. I picked up a 12oz container for $5.50 (You can buy two for $10, if I recall). It is lightly salted and tastes amazingly good.

Wow. Incredible stuff...

with French breakfast radishes on Semolina bread from Fox and Obel...

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #11 - August 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm
    Post #11 - August 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm Post #11 - August 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm
    I picked up a cup of that butter today. Holy cow is it hard not to just eat that stuff right out of the container. It did go well on some sweet corn though, also purchased at today's market.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #12 - August 8th, 2009, 9:55 pm
    Post #12 - August 8th, 2009, 9:55 pm Post #12 - August 8th, 2009, 9:55 pm
    jesteinf wrote:I picked up a cup of that butter today. Holy cow...

Indeed, and according to the farmer, the cream for that butter was still inside that holy cow on Wednesday of this week. Talk about fresh.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #13 - August 9th, 2009, 10:29 am
    Post #13 - August 9th, 2009, 10:29 am Post #13 - August 9th, 2009, 10:29 am
    Kenny, where did you get those gorgeous radishes??

Geo
  • Post #14 - August 9th, 2009, 10:40 am
    Post #14 - August 9th, 2009, 10:40 am Post #14 - August 9th, 2009, 10:40 am
    Geo wrote:Kenny, where did you get those gorgeous radishes??

Geo

Genesis Growers at the Green City Market. They are crunchy and intensely peppery, and came with hearty greens I plan to use in a salad with anchovy dressing.

Fuckerberg on Food

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more