LTH Home

Bari Foods Review (Reprint)

Bari Foods Review (Reprint)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 13th, 2009, 9:11 pm
    Post #31 - November 13th, 2009, 9:11 pm Post #31 - November 13th, 2009, 9:11 pm
    I stopped at Bari Foods for a late-lunch today. I've read glowing reports about the meatball sandwich and that's what I ordered.

Meatball Sandwich

It wasn't an enjoyable sandwich, sorry to say. Firstly, the usually excellent D'Amato bread didn't support the meat - it was soft and with little crusty crust and the interior was a bit too soft, maybe because of the tomato sauce. The meat was slightly pink and the structure of the meatballs didn't hold-up I began eating. The meat became almost mushy - very soft and moist as if it wasn't cooked adequately. Maybe this is the style of meatball Bari serves, but I didn't like it. With the meatballs I had the sandwich guys add some provolone cheese and hot giardiniera.

D’Amato Bakery Cannoli

After having eaten my sandwich along May St. on one side of D'Amato Bakery, I went into the bakery and picked-up a couple loaves of bread and two cannoli. The cannoli were very fresh but I didn't much like the thinner-than-I-remember-it-to-be ricotta filling.
  • Post #32 - September 5th, 2014, 5:00 pm
    Post #32 - September 5th, 2014, 5:00 pm Post #32 - September 5th, 2014, 5:00 pm
    A very nice Obituary for the founder of BARI Foods on Grand @ May.
    RIP..
    :(
    http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/dining/27592337-642/story.html
  • Post #33 - December 31st, 2015, 8:33 am
    Post #33 - December 31st, 2015, 8:33 am Post #33 - December 31st, 2015, 8:33 am
    Bari has been my go to for fresh sausage (Barese) or good Italian ingrds for quite awhile. Sandwich wise, I've always gotten the meaty Italian, but my love was in the mood for something a bit lighter so we decided to try the tuna (my go-to @ Fontano's on Polk which was closed). With that in mind, the difference was considerable. A small smear of tuna on a cold, hard, unappealing in any way, roll. The sandwich we envisioned was not to be.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #34 - December 31st, 2015, 9:17 am
    Post #34 - December 31st, 2015, 9:17 am Post #34 - December 31st, 2015, 9:17 am
    I've never had good luck with tuna at Italian delis. At best you get a can of decent tuna dumped on a roll. Not worth paying for imho.
  • Post #35 - December 31st, 2015, 9:28 am
    Post #35 - December 31st, 2015, 9:28 am Post #35 - December 31st, 2015, 9:28 am
    I'm happy to report that J.P. Graziano makes a terrific tuna sub, which I'm sure will come as no surprise to anyone who's had any of their sandwiches.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #36 - January 1st, 2016, 4:09 pm
    Post #36 - January 1st, 2016, 4:09 pm Post #36 - January 1st, 2016, 4:09 pm
    JimTheBeerGuy wrote:I'm happy to report that J.P. Graziano makes a terrific tuna sub, which I'm sure will come as no surprise to anyone who's had any of their sandwiches.

I second the nod to JPG's tuna sub. Made fresh to order, not from pre-made tuna salad.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #37 - January 1st, 2016, 4:31 pm
    Post #37 - January 1st, 2016, 4:31 pm Post #37 - January 1st, 2016, 4:31 pm
    Prefer Fontano's for a tuna sub w/provelone and giardinara.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #38 - January 1st, 2016, 7:33 pm
    Post #38 - January 1st, 2016, 7:33 pm Post #38 - January 1st, 2016, 7:33 pm
    JimTheBeerGuy wrote:I'm happy to report that J.P. Graziano makes a terrific tuna sub, which I'm sure will come as no surprise to anyone who's had any of their sandwiches.

I'm with JTBG and Kman here, Graziano's uses Italian tuna packed in oil, I prefer it not mixed with mayo, but he'll do it any way you like and, like you, I prefer it with giardinara. Its's my fav tuna sandwich have, Jimmy to make you one sometime and report back.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #39 - March 31st, 2021, 4:49 pm
    Post #39 - March 31st, 2021, 4:49 pm Post #39 - March 31st, 2021, 4:49 pm
    "There he is. How you doing?

"You know, living the dream, man. Living. The. Dream."

"You're a day late, bro. You playing some ball?"

"It's ball-playing weather. They're all playing ball now."

"They were playing yesterday and they're playing tomorrow. I mean, it's Opening Day tomorrow, so you know who was in here yesterday while your ass wasn't. You know what Opening Day means. He's gotta eat here."

"Who."

"Tony."

"Tony, the Champ?"

"The Champ, man."

"You could tell even he's got a mask on and glasses and cap down?"

"Tony. That guy's a frigging tree trunk. Sweet kid. We don't bother him when he comes in. Just hand him the 12 inch. Sometimes he takes a swing with it. Smiles. Couldn't see it yesterday, but the twinkle is in his eye, man."

"That guy's the best, man. One time I delivered his birthday present."

"Oh yeah what was that?"

"A feast. I was running a route for the guys around the corner. He's friends with the owner, Mike, you know, at Piccolo."

"Mike sends him a feast?"

"Every year for his birthday. A lot of those guys have guys, you know, but Tony's there to take it, share it with family."

"That guy is Chicago. He ain't even from here."

"That guy is Chicago."
  • Post #40 - April 1st, 2021, 6:39 am
    Post #40 - April 1st, 2021, 6:39 am Post #40 - April 1st, 2021, 6:39 am
    Love it.
  • Post #41 - May 25th, 2021, 4:19 pm
    Post #41 - May 25th, 2021, 4:19 pm Post #41 - May 25th, 2021, 4:19 pm
    My reward for spending a half day at the office today was a Bari sub. I like the prosciutto and fresh mozzarella with added marinated eggplant and giardiniera. It did not disappoint.
    -Mary
  • Post #42 - October 21st, 2021, 4:34 pm
    Post #42 - October 21st, 2021, 4:34 pm Post #42 - October 21st, 2021, 4:34 pm
    After seeing the line at Graziano's yesterday and a cash only policy blocking me from D'Amato's, I returned to Bari for the first time years to scratch my Italian sub itch. Not sure why they stopped using D'Amato's bread (rumor has it that it was out of spite over a tiny price increase), but the meats and cheeses at Bari aren't good enough to save the flavorless chewy bread they're using now. Not sure any meats and cheese could but the good not great stuff at Bari doesn't come close.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more