LTH Home

Milk chocolate and semi sweet chocolate: Are they the same?

Milk chocolate and semi sweet chocolate: Are they the same?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Milk chocolate and semi sweet chocolate: Are they the same?

Post #1 - December 11th, 2004, 8:07 pm
    Post #1 - December 11th, 2004, 8:07 pm Post #1 - December 11th, 2004, 8:07 pm
    Attempting to make chocolate chip cookies, but realized that I bought milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet chocolate chips... If I go ahead and use the milk chocolate chips, should I decrease the amount of sugar? Recipe is calling for 3/4 cup each of brown and white sugar....

Help??

PS I tried the Gingersnap cookie recipe here and it is actually pretty good...
  • Post #2 - December 11th, 2004, 8:13 pm
    Post #2 - December 11th, 2004, 8:13 pm Post #2 - December 11th, 2004, 8:13 pm
    HI,

Milk Chocolate chips is 1:1 exchange for the bittersweet chips, no need to adjust anything else in the recipe. You will simply have a different tasting cookie.

You're becoming quite the baker C!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - December 11th, 2004, 8:34 pm
    Post #3 - December 11th, 2004, 8:34 pm Post #3 - December 11th, 2004, 8:34 pm
    I knew you would come to my rescue...

Yes, my foray into pies has taken a detour to cookies... I tried calling you last night to see if I could substitute waxed paper for parchment paper... Well, at least now I know I shouldn't if I do not want to wash partially melted wax off my cookie sheets... =)
  • Post #4 - July 7th, 2020, 10:19 pm
    Post #4 - July 7th, 2020, 10:19 pm Post #4 - July 7th, 2020, 10:19 pm
    Is there a standard of identity for semi sweet chocolate? For example, is a chocolate that contains 55% cocoa solids considered semi sweet? Or do other attributes determine whether or not a chocolate is semi sweet? In the end, I'm not sure it really matters in practical terms. If I'm going to bake with a chocolate I like, it really doesn't matter what it can or cannot legally be called. But just for reference, I'd like to know what exactly it is that defines semi sweet.

Thanks,

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #5 - July 7th, 2020, 11:10 pm
    Post #5 - July 7th, 2020, 11:10 pm Post #5 - July 7th, 2020, 11:10 pm
    HI,

When I buy baking chocolate, I always buy unsweetened. It is cheaper to add sugar than to pay for the sugar already added to the chocolate.

You may want to consult this Cook's Illustrated article on How to substitute chocolates.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #6 - July 7th, 2020, 11:15 pm
    Post #6 - July 7th, 2020, 11:15 pm Post #6 - July 7th, 2020, 11:15 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

When I buy baking chocolate, I always buy unsweetened. It is cheaper to add sugar than to pay for the sugar already added to the chocolate.

You may want to consult this Cook's Illustrated article on How to substitute chocolates.

Thank you. That is generally useful but in the case of baking with chocolate chips (and wanting the chips to stay in chip form in the finished product), it wouldn't be applicable. Do you know what range of cocoa solids are considered to be semi sweet when it comes to baking chips? Again, I realize that this is probably more a matter of personal taste than anything else but I am curious. I seriously doubt that using any chips, especially ones you already know you like, is going to ruin a recipe.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #7 - July 8th, 2020, 5:06 am
    Post #7 - July 8th, 2020, 5:06 am Post #7 - July 8th, 2020, 5:06 am
    Hey Ronnie,

I'm not aware of a specific delineation for semisweet chocolate. There is a semi-specific standard for bittersweet chocolate - above 59/60% cacao - so I've always called anything under that percentage, but without milk solids, semisweet chocolate. If a chocolate has milk solids, it's automatically a milk chocolate. If it is darker than 40%, the term "deep milk" or "dark milk" is typically used.

For chocolate chips in recipes, they're probably fairly equivalent (maybe even if melted) as they have stabilizers added to them.

It's funny how much chocolate percentages can range. Hersheys special dark is sweeter than many high-end semisweet chocolates. (The internet just told me it's actually 45%).

Best,
    Katherine
    Katherine

Everyone has a price: mine is chocolate.
  • Post #8 - July 8th, 2020, 9:20 am
    Post #8 - July 8th, 2020, 9:20 am Post #8 - July 8th, 2020, 9:20 am
    Katherine_84f wrote:Hey Ronnie,

I'm not aware of a specific delineation for semisweet chocolate. There is a semi-specific standard for bittersweet chocolate - above 59/60% cacao - so I've always called anything under that percentage, but without milk solids, semisweet chocolate. If a chocolate has milk solids, it's automatically a milk chocolate. If it is darker than 40%, the term "deep milk" or "dark milk" is typically used.

For chocolate chips in recipes, they're probably fairly equivalent (maybe even if melted) as they have stabilizers added to them.

It's funny how much chocolate percentages can range. Hersheys special dark is sweeter than many high-end semisweet chocolates. (The internet just told me it's actually 45%).

Thanks, Katherine. This is super helpful. Some producers are very transparent with their cocoa solids percentages, while others seem to intentionally hide the information. That just makes comparisons and decisions even harder. I'm going to start by using what I have on hand and cross my fingers that the universe doesn't implode! :lol:

=R=

• Post #9 - July 8th, 2020, 9:37 am
    Post #9 - July 8th, 2020, 9:37 am Post #9 - July 8th, 2020, 9:37 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    ... I'm going to start by using what I have on hand and cross my fingers that the universe doesn't implode! :lol:

The universe is in favor of any chocolate. You'll be fine. :D
    -Mary
  • Post #10 - July 31st, 2020, 11:59 pm
    Post #10 - July 31st, 2020, 11:59 pm Post #10 - July 31st, 2020, 11:59 pm
    A very entertaining and informative video on tempering chocolate from Babish . . .

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events