LTH Home

ISO Pasta Sauce that Doesn't Suck

ISO Pasta Sauce that Doesn't Suck
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • ISO Pasta Sauce that Doesn't Suck

Post #1 - February 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm
    Post #1 - February 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm Post #1 - February 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm
    Me: Loves watching the sun set, long dinners on the beach.
    You: A less salty, less sweet, less embittered version of my former sauces.
    Are you the one for me?

After disastrous jars of Rinaldi, bleh jars of Contadina, and Ragu and Prego (which is which again?), and overpriced, unimpressive, somewhat funky jars of Paul Sorvino's among others, is there a tasty, non-overpriced commercial sauce out there? The frozen pizza thread made me think of this. Paul Newman's is okay I guess. What do you folks like?

Note: I have a jar of Francesca's Hole in the Wall Chicken Bolognese purchased at Sunset which I have yet to try. As soon as I do, I'll post here with the results.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #2 - February 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Post #2 - February 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm Post #2 - February 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm
    I realize this isn't answering the question, and please don't take this as snide (it's not intended as such!), but why not just make a nice, big batch and freeze it? It's about as much active time as a wasted trip to the grocery store :-)
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #3 - February 9th, 2009, 4:23 pm
    Post #3 - February 9th, 2009, 4:23 pm Post #3 - February 9th, 2009, 4:23 pm
    pie lady-i love emeril's garlic pasta sauce. it is very, very garlicky and nicely spicy, a little chunky. not too many ingredients. justjoan
  • Post #4 - February 9th, 2009, 4:33 pm
    Post #4 - February 9th, 2009, 4:33 pm Post #4 - February 9th, 2009, 4:33 pm
    I make pasta sauce a couple of times a week at least, always making extra to freeze, but found myself at the grocery store recently needing to pick something up for a very quick dinner when my frozen reserves were depleted. I had never met a jarred sauce I liked--all too sweet or just acrid--but I tried Rao's marinara, and I thought it was really pretty good. To the point that I may try to replicate the recipe. Of course, it usually sells for $9 at Treasure Island, which probably qualifies as overpriced. Still, I found it so much better than any other jarred sauce, that I actually consider those $4 commercial jars more overpriced for what you get.
  • Post #5 - February 9th, 2009, 4:35 pm
    Post #5 - February 9th, 2009, 4:35 pm Post #5 - February 9th, 2009, 4:35 pm
    Dmnkly wrote:I realize this isn't answering the question, and please don't take this as snide (it's not intended as such!), but why not just make a nice, big batch and freeze it? It's about as much active time as a wasted trip to the grocery store :-)

No snideness taken. My schedule lately is insane, so I want to give quick ol' jarred sauce one more chance (there's got to be one good one out there, right?) before I go on to making my own. As soon as my schedule calms down a bit, I'll have more time to devote to cooking, which will also include making my own veggie stock again.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #6 - February 9th, 2009, 4:38 pm
    Post #6 - February 9th, 2009, 4:38 pm Post #6 - February 9th, 2009, 4:38 pm
    Maple Leaf wrote:Of course, it usually sells for $9 at Treasure Island, which probably qualifies as overpriced.

That depends. $9 for a 16oz jar sounds a bit expensive but for a 24- or 32-ounce jar it's not so bad, especially if it's as tasty as it sounds.

Pie Dude likes to drown his noodles, so 16oz doesn't go too far! :)

I write stuff.
  • Post #7 - February 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm
    Post #7 - February 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm Post #7 - February 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm
    in the time it takes to get the water to boil and cook your pasta, you can whip up a perfectly tasty tomato sauce. Briefly saute some chopped garlic in olive oil, add canned diced tomatoes, cook until your pasta is done, add some chopped fresh herbs, taste for seasoning.

Alternatively, simmer a can of crushed tomatoes with a half stick of butter and an onion for about 20 min or up to 40 min. This one is a Marcella Hazan recipe and it is pretty amazing.
  • Post #8 - February 9th, 2009, 7:24 pm
    Post #8 - February 9th, 2009, 7:24 pm Post #8 - February 9th, 2009, 7:24 pm
    I am a fan of Rao's marinara and the roasted eggplant (Siciliana) sauce. They sometimes go on sale at Treasure Island, Dominick's, and Jewel (not all Jewel stores carry them, but the one on Western does). I've seen them for $6.99 per jar on sale at Treasure Island. I find Rao's sauces to be complex, balanced, and even more flavorful than the sauce I make at home (using San Marzano tomatoes, of course). It pains me to admit this, but it's true.

Dell'Amore marinara (available at Whole Foods) is also very good. Of the cheaper supermarket sauces, I like Barilla Green and Black Olive and Newman's Own Bombolina (tomato/basil).
  • Post #9 - February 9th, 2009, 7:54 pm
    Post #9 - February 9th, 2009, 7:54 pm Post #9 - February 9th, 2009, 7:54 pm
    sarcon wrote:in the time it takes to get the water to boil and cook your pasta, you can whip up a perfectly tasty tomato sauce. Briefly saute some chopped garlic in olive oil, add canned diced tomatoes, cook until your pasta is done, add some chopped fresh herbs, taste for seasoning.

Alternatively, simmer a can of crushed tomatoes with a half stick of butter and an onion for about 20 min or up to 40 min. This one is a Marcella Hazan recipe and it is pretty amazing.

I haven't bought jarred sauce in about 5 years and have also converted my wife with a basic recipe that is just as fast as the jar (give or take 5 minutes).

Here it is and the consistency is similar to the jar sauce that is based on Italian-American sauces.

-1 small onion or 1/2 onion diced
    -2 cloves of garlic minced
    -1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
    -2 15 oz cans of tomato sauce
    -1 6 oz (or whatever the small can is) can of tomato paste
    -"Italian seasoning"
    -salt/pepper

Saute onion in olive oil until soft, add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes more. Add tomatoes and about 1-2 TBSP (or to taste) of Italian Seasoning (or dried oregano, basil, parsley to taste). That's it. It's fast and not sweet and doesn't have all the artificial flavorings/preservatives, etc that the jarred stuff has. Plus, there will be plenty for your significant other to drown their pasta if they so choose...
  • Post #10 - February 9th, 2009, 8:02 pm
    Post #10 - February 9th, 2009, 8:02 pm Post #10 - February 9th, 2009, 8:02 pm
    sarcon wrote:Alternatively, simmer a can of crushed tomatoes with a half stick of butter and an onion for about 20 min or up to 40 min.

I tried that, but the label came off and the butter and onion had a very metallic taste. Are you sure you don't mean to simmer the contents of a can of crushed tomatoes?
  • Post #11 - February 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm
    Post #11 - February 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm Post #11 - February 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm
    fleurdesel wrote:I am a fan of Rao's marinara and the roasted eggplant (Siciliana) sauce. They sometimes go on sale at Treasure Island, Dominick's, and Jewel (not all Jewel stores carry them, but the one on Western does). I've seen them for $6.99 per jar on sale at Treasure Island. I find Rao's sauces to be complex, balanced, and even more flavorful than the sauce I make at home (using San Marzano tomatoes, of course). It pains me to admit this, but it's true.

Don't let this pain you. Up until a month ago, I arrogantly believed that store bought pasta sauces were terrible and that no self-respecting cook would buy one. Of course, it had been more than a decade since I tried one. Then I was given a jar of Rao's Arrabbiata sauce as part of a holiday package. Initially, I thumbed my nose at the thought of using it, but then one night when I didn't feel like putting together my own sauce, I heated it up. I was stunned how good it was. I'll claim that I can do better, but I'm not 100% sure. It was very good and I'd buy it for myself without question (and I'd be willing to serve it to guests). And it really delivered a pretty good kick . . . I think I actually felt a few beads of sweat from the crushed red pepper. So anyway, I'll join your Friends of Rao's club. 8)
  • Post #12 - February 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm
    Post #12 - February 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm Post #12 - February 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm
    The only sauce I use when there is no time to make fresh is Pomi Marinara Sauce. I generally use it as is, but you can also use it as a base. It comes in a 26.445oz carton (box) and is now around $3.25. All natural ingredients from fresh tomatoes. Not from concentrate, imported from Parma. Not sure if they carry it at the Majors, but I know it is available at the independants like Caputo's, Tony's, Super Low etc. Also at small Italian Deli's. Carefull when you buy it as they also have stewed and chopped tomatoes in the same style box.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #13 - February 9th, 2009, 10:20 pm
    Post #13 - February 9th, 2009, 10:20 pm Post #13 - February 9th, 2009, 10:20 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    sarcon wrote:Alternatively, simmer a can of crushed tomatoes with a half stick of butter and an onion for about 20 min or up to 40 min.

I tried that, but the label came off and the butter and onion had a very metallic taste. Are you sure you don't mean to simmer the contents of a can of crushed tomatoes?

:lol: :lol:

I write stuff.
  • Post #14 - February 10th, 2009, 6:36 am
    Post #14 - February 10th, 2009, 6:36 am Post #14 - February 10th, 2009, 6:36 am
    fleurdesel wrote:I am a fan of Rao's marinara and the roasted eggplant (Siciliana) sauce. They sometimes go on sale at Treasure Island, Dominick's, and Jewel (not all Jewel stores carry them, but the one on Western does). I've seen them for $6.99 per jar on sale at Treasure Island.

On my shopping trip yesterday, I noticed it at the Skokie Jewel for $8. Not bad.

I write stuff.
  • Post #15 - February 10th, 2009, 6:40 am
    Post #15 - February 10th, 2009, 6:40 am Post #15 - February 10th, 2009, 6:40 am
    As far as jarred sauce goes, the Francesco's Hole in the Wall sauces are pretty decent. I like them because they are not loaded down with sugar.

I have seen them at Sunset and in the little Market at the EBC. I am sure they are available elsewhere.
  • Post #16 - February 10th, 2009, 11:46 am
    Post #16 - February 10th, 2009, 11:46 am Post #16 - February 10th, 2009, 11:46 am
    sarcon wrote:Alternatively, simmer a can of crushed tomatoes with a half stick of butter and an onion for about 20 min or up to 40 min. This one is a Marcella Hazan recipe and it is pretty amazing.

This is my "everyday" tomato sauce recipe and it is really good. No chopping (except for peeling and slicing in half an onion). I let it simmer for about 45 minutes, so about the time the water has come up to a boil and the pasta is done cooking, this sauce is ready to go.

I posted about Marcella Hazan's recipe here and it appears under my name in the recipe index.

I know it's not quite as easy as opening a jar, but it's about as easy as opening a can, and infinitely tastier than anything you'd get from a jar.
  • Post #17 - February 10th, 2009, 1:00 pm
    Post #17 - February 10th, 2009, 1:00 pm Post #17 - February 10th, 2009, 1:00 pm
    What size can of crushed tomatoes?
    thx

(nevermind, 28 oz)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #18 - February 10th, 2009, 1:30 pm
    Post #18 - February 10th, 2009, 1:30 pm Post #18 - February 10th, 2009, 1:30 pm
    Rao's is pretty much the only ready-made jarred sauce that I'll buy, but it's pretty pricey and I'll only buy it if I absolutely have no time to make my own.
  • Post #19 - February 10th, 2009, 8:30 pm
    Post #19 - February 10th, 2009, 8:30 pm Post #19 - February 10th, 2009, 8:30 pm

This is very similar to a Marcella Hazan recipe that has been one of our seven weekly dinners for the last twenty years.

I would suggest a very modest pinch of sugar. And, a shake or two of red pepper flakes.

The brand of tomatoes (obviously) makes a difference. Imported Italian. American "Italian style" gives a completely different result.

Our cooking time is closer to an hour. Don't cut the onion. It should be whole. Feel free to pierce it. At the end remove the onion and use an immersion blender to finish.

This is a spaghetti sauce. Long strand noodles. Not for the other shapes.

This isn't a base sauce to which you add meat.

If need be, you can cut back on the butter a bit.
  • Post #20 - February 10th, 2009, 10:38 pm
    Post #20 - February 10th, 2009, 10:38 pm Post #20 - February 10th, 2009, 10:38 pm
    Rao's, especially their marinara. It's the best jarred sauce I've had and, sadly, better than I've had in many restaurants and homes, as well.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #21 - February 11th, 2009, 12:01 am
    Post #21 - February 11th, 2009, 12:01 am Post #21 - February 11th, 2009, 12:01 am
    It doesn't exist to my knowledge. Lot of folks have named something, however, so they may know something I do not. Every jarred or canned sauce I've found tastes....horrid. Then again, many, if not most, restaurants sauces taste horrid.

Oh, forgot to say that I don't like red sauces. Well, not quite true. I never liked any I had until the day my future MIL fed me hers. Now I like it a few times a year and tolerate it many more.

I've discovered that red sauce is extremely personal. If you are Italian, I've discovered, you have your own family way of making it and other people's? Well, it just doesn't taste right and possibly tastes revolting.

I know you said you are crazy busy...I imagine that trying the suggestions upthread will help until the time that you are not. I also know several people still suggested to make your own. I won't suggest that....but if it were me? I'd avoid pasta until I wasn't busy.
  • Post #22 - February 11th, 2009, 2:52 pm
    Post #22 - February 11th, 2009, 2:52 pm Post #22 - February 11th, 2009, 2:52 pm
    It's hard to find "Crushed" tomatoes in the 14 oz. can size, usually you have to buy a 28 oz. can which is more than you need for 1-2 people.

I usually take the whole peeled tomatoes and crush them using the hand blender (boat-motor) in a separate bowl.

Don't store unused canned tomatoes open in the original can in the refrigerator, it can cause contamination.

BR wrote: Up until a month ago, I arrogantly believed that store bought pasta sauces were terrible and that no self-respecting cook would buy one. Of course, it had been more than a decade since I tried one. Then I was given a jar of Rao's Arrabbiata sauce as part of a holiday package. Initially, I thumbed my nose at the thought of using it, but then one night when I didn't feel like putting together my own sauce, I heated it up. I was stunned how good it was. I'll claim that I can do better, but I'm not 100% sure. It was very good and I'd buy it for myself without question (and I'd be willing to serve it to guests). And it really delivered a pretty good kick . . . I think I actually felt a few beads of sweat from the crushed red pepper. So anyway, I'll join your Friends of Rao's club. 8)

BR, I agree with you. Many of the premium bottled sauces are excellent and can be used in a pinch or in a hurry, or if someone doesn't want to bother with a mess before a party, etc. Throw some chopped basil on top and nobody will ever know. The prices are outrageous however.

Tomato sauces are simple things, it shouldn't be hard to find good bottled ones, and today there are some great ones.

The thing to do is read the list of ingredients, and if it contains CORN SYRUP (i.e. Prego), then avoid like the plague.
  • Post #23 - February 11th, 2009, 4:13 pm
    Post #23 - February 11th, 2009, 4:13 pm Post #23 - February 11th, 2009, 4:13 pm
    I also look out for tomato paste. I don't generally like tomato paste on a good day, but it has its place in the kitchen. Jarred sauces, however, using reconstituted tomato paste, are generally the worse for wear.

Marketplace on Oakton carries Pomi's products. They also had a jarred sauce that was about $4-5 a jar, but whose ingredients were startlingly similar to my homemade. I almost bought it (and then thought, you have that at home for about $2 a jar, stupid!)
  • Post #24 - February 11th, 2009, 5:10 pm
    Post #24 - February 11th, 2009, 5:10 pm Post #24 - February 11th, 2009, 5:10 pm
    I quit buying commercial sauces about a year ago. Now I just pay $12 at Sabatino's and they fill up one of those industrial sour cream containers.

:lol:
  • Post #25 - February 11th, 2009, 11:21 pm
    Post #25 - February 11th, 2009, 11:21 pm Post #25 - February 11th, 2009, 11:21 pm
    If one must buy jarred sauce, here's another endorsement for Rao's.
  • Post #26 - February 12th, 2009, 11:54 am
    Post #26 - February 12th, 2009, 11:54 am Post #26 - February 12th, 2009, 11:54 am
    Italian delicatessens such as Alpine Food Shop on North Avenue west of Harlem and Nottoli on Belmont west of Harlem have great frozen pasta sauce. About $3.00 for 16 oz and $5.50 for 32 oz. Other similar places in the same general area (Riviera, Geno's, etc.) probably have frozen sauce too.

Closer to the OP in Niles, I cannot confirm the other Nottoli on Harlem near Foster (same family -- different operation), but the frozen sauce is BAD at Rex Italian Specialties on Harlem near Montrose. It's better for sandwiches and other stuff.

Right in Niles, I would check Minelli's at Oak Mill Mall. Have only been there once, so not sure if they have sauce but they do have a freezer case with other pasta-type items -- lasagna, ravioli, etc.
  • Post #27 - February 12th, 2009, 3:24 pm
    Post #27 - February 12th, 2009, 3:24 pm Post #27 - February 12th, 2009, 3:24 pm
    Chicago Style™ wrote:...Right in Niles, I would check Minelli's at Oak Mill Mall. Have only been there once, so not sure if they have sauce but they do have a freezer case with other pasta-type items -- lasagna, ravioli, etc.

I can report that Minelli's does have sauce but I have no other review on it.

Minelli's Meat & Deli
    7900 N Milwaukee
    (847) 965-1315
    -Mary
  • Post #28 - November 6th, 2010, 10:49 pm
    Post #28 - November 6th, 2010, 10:49 pm Post #28 - November 6th, 2010, 10:49 pm
    Searching for a post about Rao's and turned this up...

I'll throw in my vote for Club Lucky's Marinara Alla Bava. It's available at many Chicago Whole Foods, and usually at the Binny's in Lincoln Park. It has really nice spice (I believe it contains cayenne). I like to simmer meatballs in it. Unfortunately, supply seems to be something of a problem, as the shelves are often empty. I generally buy 4-5 jars whenever I see it available.
  • Post #29 - November 6th, 2010, 11:10 pm
    Post #29 - November 6th, 2010, 11:10 pm Post #29 - November 6th, 2010, 11:10 pm
    I like the De Cecco pasta sauces, they are authentic and very inexpensive.
  • Post #30 - November 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
    Post #30 - November 7th, 2010, 9:38 am Post #30 - November 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
    Maple Leaf wrote:I make pasta sauce a couple of times a week at least, always making extra to freeze, but found myself at the grocery store recently needing to pick something up for a very quick dinner when my frozen reserves were depleted. I had never met a jarred sauce I liked--all too sweet or just acrid--but I tried Rao's marinara, and I thought it was really pretty good. To the point that I may try to replicate the recipe. Of course, it usually sells for $9 at Treasure Island, which probably qualifies as overpriced. Still, I found it so much better than any other jarred sauce, that I actually consider those $4 commercial jars more overpriced for what you get.

I bought a half dozen jars of Rao's sauce for about $1.50/ bottle at Jewel last month.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more