LTH Home

Shopping for a Smoker.

Shopping for a Smoker.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 10 of 10 
  • Post #271 - November 10th, 2020, 8:05 pm
    Post #271 - November 10th, 2020, 8:05 pm Post #271 - November 10th, 2020, 8:05 pm
    seebee wrote:Ummmm....sooooo.. a lil' embarrassed over here.

I had no idea these pellet grills were electric.
    I am soooo getting one for next spring for the fam.

As I posted above, the pellet is a happy medium. When we moved 6 or 7 years ago I left my natural gas Weber Genesis behind and returned to hardwood/hardwood charcoal with my Hasty Bake. I love it but it's more than my wife cares to deal with. My new pellet is dead simple, fill the hopper, set temperature and you get the benefits of wood smoke but no hassle.
  • Post #272 - November 11th, 2020, 9:40 am
    Post #272 - November 11th, 2020, 9:40 am Post #272 - November 11th, 2020, 9:40 am
    senoritap wrote:Hi all,
    Looking for advice for what type of smoker would be a good starter for a neophyte. He is interested in learning how to smoke but has no experience. This is a master's degree completion graduation gift and $ and space considerations aren't the biggest factors. I guess I'm looking to hear if you'd suggest something like The Big Green Egg or if you'd recommend for a newbie (who we aren't sure will love this pastime) an electric smoker to start. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

I love my BGE. It is more than a one trick pony. I use it to smoke, sear, grill, make pizzas, etc. The problem is cost. BGE's are quite expensive. If you buy it only to smoke, there are cheaper alternatives. If you buy it as a replacement for a grill and to smoke, it is well worth the investment. Now, due to the pandemic, I have been having diffuculty finding lump charcoal locally; with the exception of Coboy or Frontier.
  • Post #273 - November 22nd, 2020, 10:57 am
    Post #273 - November 22nd, 2020, 10:57 am Post #273 - November 22nd, 2020, 10:57 am
    So -
    Ol Seebee here wrapped up the research and targeted a Camp Chef Woodwind 24. after hemming and hawing for a while, a used one popped up, and I snagged it. Watched a few youtube vids and completed my first cook yesterday. Two spatchcocked (tee-hee) chickens: one jerk, and one with a homemade rub.

Smoked for 2 hours using the machine's high smoke setting (it regulates itself to vary temps up to something like 225 to create a decent amt of smoke.) Then I cranked it up to 275 to get the birds up to 165. The machine has two temp probe ports with a digital readout. I got side tracked while finishing up a freezer defrost / deep clean, and the birds went up to 173.

Jr has a wing from the home rub one, and said it was the best piece of chicken he ever had. Wife 1.0 said several times over that this was some damn fine yardbird. I was nervous about the temp being overcooked, but in the end, the breast was still damn juicy. I was hoping for a more robust smoke flavor, but with only two hours, it was still pretty decent. I have two pork butts that'll be my next long cook, and if I can find a Costco prime brisket under 3 bux/lb, my freezer is now ready to buy a few of 'em.

This one has the 900 degree sear box attached, so I have a few Flintstone NY strips that I'll do a reverse sear on in a few days.

For anyone researching these pellet grill thingies:
    When I first saw the name "Camp Chef," I kinda thought it might be a corny, cheap, off brand name compared to Traeger, or Weber. After more research, I found that some of their models are pretty well regarded, and have some well thought out features. This one will probably make it's way to our vacation house. I think my inlaws will be able to use this with very little issue.

I'll consider buying one for us once I get through all of this charcoal I hoarded last season for my Kamado, and the Weber Kettle.

I kinda like the Rec-Tec pellet grill look - their front handle is 2 stainless steel steer horns.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more