LTH Home

What are you cooking for Passover Seder?

What are you cooking for Passover Seder?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 9
  • Post #211 - April 5th, 2020, 4:04 pm
    Post #211 - April 5th, 2020, 4:04 pm Post #211 - April 5th, 2020, 4:04 pm
    Our son did our Passover shopping, which included a visit to the Jewel on Howard in Evanston, known locally as the "kosher Jewel." Saturday is the best day to go because one doesn't have to compete with the Orthodox customers. :mrgreen:

When he called me to check on exactly what I wanted in the Passover aisle, he told me that the aisle was full of young guys like him, all on the phone with their mothers! :lol:

For those of you who are zooming their Seders, as we are, here is a bit I cribbed from a friend's FB post:

The Torah Speaks of Four Kinds of People Who Use Zoom:

The Wise
    The Wicked
    The Simple
    The One Who Does Not Know How to “Mute”

The Wise Person says: “I’ll handle the Admin Feature Controls and Chat Rooms, and forward the Cloud Recording Transcript after the call.”

The Wicked Person says: “Since I have unlimited duration, I scheduled the meeting for six hours—as it says in the Haggadah, whoever prolongs the telling of the story, harei zeh ‘shubach, is praiseworthy.”

The Simple Person says: “Hello? Am I on? I can hear you, but I can’t see you.”
    [Jerusalem Talmud reads here: “I can see you, but I can’t hear you.”]

The One Who Does Not Know How to Mute says: “How should I know where you put the keys? I’m stuck on this stupid Zoom call with these idiots.”

To the Wise Person you should offer all of the Zoom Pro Optional Add-On Plans.

To the Wicked Person you should say: “Had you been in charge, we would still be in Egypt.”

To the Simple Person you should say: “Try the call-in number instead.”

To the One Who Does Not Know How to Mute you should say: “Why should this night be different from all other nights?”
    -author unknown

I wish everyone a good Seder and good luck with your Zooming!
  • Post #212 - April 6th, 2020, 3:37 pm
    Post #212 - April 6th, 2020, 3:37 pm Post #212 - April 6th, 2020, 3:37 pm
    I love it.
  • Post #213 - March 23rd, 2021, 11:01 pm
    Post #213 - March 23rd, 2021, 11:01 pm Post #213 - March 23rd, 2021, 11:01 pm
    The Turkish Passover Recipes Shared by Five Generations of Women

Recipe Roots: Izmir, Turkey > Mexico City > New York City

Twenty years ago, when Alexandra Zohn was packing up her life in Mexico City to move to New York City, she brought just two kitchen items with her: a tortilla press and a heavy pan with small circular indentations. The pan, which was a gift from her grandmother Rita, is used for just one recipe in their family: buñuelos de Pesach, a sweet and savory matzo meal fritter served during Passover.

Alexandra is the fifth generation of women in her family to enjoy the buñuelos recipe. It traces back to Rosa Cohen, her great-great-grandmother who was born in Izmir, Turkey and immigrated to Mexico around 1920. Alexandra never met Rosa, but her recipes and stories of her still sustain the family through her granddaughter Rita, who is now 93-years-old.

Rosa was “a woman who taught herself to read when she was 60, because she hated that she couldn't read the newspapers and participate in conversations with others,” Alexandra explains.

It's midnight, I'm hungry and Jewel is closed. The picture of Mina de Espinaca (Spinach, Cheese and Matzo Pie) looks mighty good. If I only had some matzo!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #214 - March 24th, 2021, 7:55 am
    Post #214 - March 24th, 2021, 7:55 am Post #214 - March 24th, 2021, 7:55 am
    The Turkish Passover Recipes Shared by Five Generations of Women

Thanks for posting this, Cathy!
  • Post #215 - March 26th, 2021, 7:11 pm
    Post #215 - March 26th, 2021, 7:11 pm Post #215 - March 26th, 2021, 7:11 pm
    I prepped a 15-pound brisket for tomorrow's seder at my sister's house. This is all I'm making, as everyone else is bringing the rest of the meal . . .

Brisket Set Up
    Trimmed, prime brisket on a bed of carrots and onions, along with kosher salt, granulated garlic and Hungarian sweet paprika. I did this outside to avoid covering my kitchen in paprika.

Seasoned Up
    Before braising, I some poured some water and a little gelatinous beef stock in the bottom of the pan to create a braising liquid. At the halfway point, I basted it, added some dots of ketchup and a very light sprinkling of brown sugar.

Braised
    This was a big boy and needed just over 5 hours covered @ 275F.

Sliced Brisket & Takeda Classic Sujihiki/Yanagiba, 310mm
    My grandfather worked at a Kosher butcher shop when he first came to the U.S. and I can guarantee you, this is not my grandfather's knife! :lol:

I'll separate out some of the carrots and onions for serving on the side and puree the rest of them into the defatted and reduced braising liquid to make a thickened sauce. Once that's where I want it to be, I'll pour the sauce back over the sliced brisket and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow, 1 hour covered at 275F should be just about right to get it ready for service. As I mentioned above, my family members are prepping/bringing the rest of the meal.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #216 - March 27th, 2021, 12:47 pm
    Post #216 - March 27th, 2021, 12:47 pm Post #216 - March 27th, 2021, 12:47 pm
    looks delicious; love the idea of pureeing the carrots and onions into the sauce!

we did a brisket in red wine and thyme in the sous vide; will finish over cherrywood charcoal grill this evening. i made a tomato-ginger jam to complement, but it isn't super saucy.

made stock and schmaltzy matzo balls for a a simple soup we'll top with fresh dill and lemon zest

smitten's potato kugel w creme fraiche and chives

roasted carrots

fennel-celery-parsley-apple salad for brightness and crunch

matzo crack with toasted almonds for dessert

not a big menu, but we can't yet be a crowd. so eager for festive dinners in the coming months! happy passover to all.
  • Post #217 - March 27th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    Post #217 - March 27th, 2021, 1:09 pm Post #217 - March 27th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    annak wrote:looks delicious; love the idea of pureeing the carrots and onions into the sauce!

we did a brisket in red wine and thyme in the sous vide; will finish over cherrywood charcoal grill this evening. i made a tomato-ginger jam to complement, but it isn't super saucy.

made stock and schmaltzy matzo balls for a a simple soup we'll top with fresh dill and lemon zest

smitten's potato kugel w creme fraiche and chives

roasted carrots

fennel-celery-parsley-apple salad for brightness and crunch

matzo crack with toasted almonds for dessert

not a big menu, but we can't yet be a crowd. so eager for festive dinners in the coming months! happy passover to all.

Right back at you! Your menu looks great. I always make my braised brisket the exact same way -- as taught to me by my friend Josh decades ago -- but your plans make me feel like I should branch out from time to time.

That blended sauce is great and it seems so obvious to me now but I actually learned it from another friend, who happens to be a professional chef.

=R=
  • Post #218 - March 27th, 2021, 1:43 pm
    Post #218 - March 27th, 2021, 1:43 pm Post #218 - March 27th, 2021, 1:43 pm
    For an intimate dinner for two at Seder:
    Grilled flank steak
    Scalloped potatoes
    Grilled asparagus
    Gefilte fish
    Matzah Crack - both white and dark chocolate
    Fresh fruit
    Chag Sameach!
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #219 - March 27th, 2021, 5:11 pm
    Post #219 - March 27th, 2021, 5:11 pm Post #219 - March 27th, 2021, 5:11 pm
    Smoked brisket out of the freezer
    Roasted potatoes, carrots, onions and parsnips
    Matzoh ball soup (stock made from 49c/# wing tips from Joong Boo)
    Haroset
    Cheesecake with nut crust for dessert
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #220 - March 30th, 2021, 5:38 pm
    Post #220 - March 30th, 2021, 5:38 pm Post #220 - March 30th, 2021, 5:38 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:The Turkish Passover Recipes Shared by Five Generations of Women

Recipe Roots: Izmir, Turkey > Mexico City > New York City

Twenty years ago, when Alexandra Zohn was packing up her life in Mexico City to move to New York City, she brought just two kitchen items with her: a tortilla press and a heavy pan with small circular indentations. The pan, which was a gift from her grandmother Rita, is used for just one recipe in their family: buñuelos de Pesach, a sweet and savory matzo meal fritter served during Passover.

Alexandra is the fifth generation of women in her family to enjoy the buñuelos recipe. It traces back to Rosa Cohen, her great-great-grandmother who was born in Izmir, Turkey and immigrated to Mexico around 1920. Alexandra never met Rosa, but her recipes and stories of her still sustain the family through her granddaughter Rita, who is now 93-years-old.

Rosa was “a woman who taught herself to read when she was 60, because she hated that she couldn't read the newspapers and participate in conversations with others,” Alexandra explains.

It's midnight, I'm hungry and Jewel is closed. The picture of Mina de Espinaca (Spinach, Cheese and Matzo Pie) looks mighty good. If I only had some matzo!

Regards,
    Cathy2

I made this for dinner tonight. Fantastic!
  • Post #221 - March 31st, 2021, 10:01 am
    Post #221 - March 31st, 2021, 10:01 am Post #221 - March 31st, 2021, 10:01 am
    As much as I love smoking brisket, every once in a while only braised brisket will do. The "set it and forget it" aspect is a bonus. My other Passover ritual is matzah pizza. Doesn't matter how old I get, the simplicity of the preparation reminds me of my youth and still satisfies the itch for a snack. Nothing preventing me from making it the other 51 weeks a year but then it feels like a pale imitation of the real thing.
  • Post #222 - April 8th, 2022, 8:31 pm
    Post #222 - April 8th, 2022, 8:31 pm Post #222 - April 8th, 2022, 8:31 pm
    We are very much looking forward to a larger group for Seder this year on April 15! As of now, we'll be 14 people. I'm pretty much making the traditional items (see the very first post in this thread) because we've missed being together. After futzing around with many different brisket recipes, I've come back to the classic Noah Waxman version but with some extra carrots. Current brisket prices are, as my kids used to say, ridonculous. If anyone has a good lead on a good price, please do tell! I'm still debating my veg choices, which are different every year.

Are you having a big Seder this year? And what are you cooking? Please share.
  • Post #223 - April 8th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    Post #223 - April 8th, 2022, 9:59 pm Post #223 - April 8th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    At cookbook club this week, one member raved about Emeril Lagasse's Passover Brisket. I followed the method though I used a 2-3 pound pot roast. This will be our dinner on Saturday or Sunday.

From the various food sections this week, only Sunset Foods listed their brisket price at $10.99 per pound.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #224 - April 8th, 2022, 10:14 pm
    Post #224 - April 8th, 2022, 10:14 pm Post #224 - April 8th, 2022, 10:14 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:From the various food sections this week, only Sunset Foods listed their brisket price at $10.99 per pound.

Thanks, Cathy. Eeeek on that price! Costco last week was $8.99 for flats, less (can't recall, maybe $6.99?) for whole.
  • Post #225 - April 9th, 2022, 5:21 am
    Post #225 - April 9th, 2022, 5:21 am Post #225 - April 9th, 2022, 5:21 am
    "Sliced Brisket & Takeda Classic Sujihiki/Yanagiba, 310mm"

Sharpest knife we have!!!
    Shosui has become so popular that he no longer takes orders and only sells through Dealers and they are usually all Sold Out.
    -Richard
  • Post #226 - April 9th, 2022, 7:07 am
    Post #226 - April 9th, 2022, 7:07 am Post #226 - April 9th, 2022, 7:07 am
    We are so excited that it is safer to host this year. For 20 people (including kids), our plan is to make a couple of goat shoulders using some combo of sous vide and big green egg; plus the excellent gefilte fish pate recipe i learned from one of you here years ago, smitten matzo ball soup, bon appetit cauliflower kugel, deviled eggs, pickle tray, roasted carrots, matzoh crack and coconut macaroons. Maybe there should be a crunchy salad in there - I saw Carla Lalli Music make a celery caesar recently...
  • Post #227 - April 9th, 2022, 11:29 am
    Post #227 - April 9th, 2022, 11:29 am Post #227 - April 9th, 2022, 11:29 am
    Cathy2 wrote:From the various food sections this week, only Sunset Foods listed their brisket price at $10.99 per pound.

Might be worth trying a GFS store, especially if you can use a whole brisket. Last I looked, which was a while back, their prices were still reasonable.

Did you like the chuck roast as a substitute? Probably in the minority here, but I'm always put off by the amount of waste on brisket.
  • Post #228 - April 9th, 2022, 12:50 pm
    Post #228 - April 9th, 2022, 12:50 pm Post #228 - April 9th, 2022, 12:50 pm
    Whole prime briskets $2.99/lb at costco.
  • Post #229 - April 9th, 2022, 1:00 pm
    Post #229 - April 9th, 2022, 1:00 pm Post #229 - April 9th, 2022, 1:00 pm
    Hi,

I am not Jewish, so using a pot roast as a stand-in for the brisket was fine. I just wanted to try this recipe after hearing how wonderful it was.

We just had the Passover pot roast for lunch with Boxty, an Irish potato pancake, and cauliflower gratin. Just two pancakes left for another meal, which is fine with me.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #230 - April 9th, 2022, 8:07 pm
    Post #230 - April 9th, 2022, 8:07 pm Post #230 - April 9th, 2022, 8:07 pm
    WillG wrote:Whole prime briskets $2.99/lb at costco.
    Versus non-Black Angus (as opposed to at Sunset and Mariano's) choice chuck at Jewel for $7.49/lb. Interesting times. Guess I'm going to Costco to buy prime brisket!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #231 - April 10th, 2022, 5:11 am
    Post #231 - April 10th, 2022, 5:11 am Post #231 - April 10th, 2022, 5:11 am
    tjr wrote:

Might be worth trying a GFS store, especially if you can use a whole brisket. Last I looked, which was a while back, their prices were still reasonable.

Did you like the chuck roast as a substitute? Probably in the minority here, but I'm always put off by the amount of waste on brisket.

GFS = $3.99/lb in this morning’s email to me.
  • Post #232 - April 10th, 2022, 6:52 am
    Post #232 - April 10th, 2022, 6:52 am Post #232 - April 10th, 2022, 6:52 am
    WillG wrote:Whole prime briskets $2.99/lb at costco.

Funny, Mount Prospect it was $3.99 yesterday.

At these prices (versus the trimmed flats) they're a bargain even with the amount lost. Especially for smoking where the extra fat makes them nearly foolproof.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #233 - April 10th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Post #233 - April 10th, 2022, 1:38 pm Post #233 - April 10th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    I bought an absolutely massive whole prime brisket--what was available--at Costco for $3.99/lb. We've bought them from GFS in the past, but I believe they're Choice. I may need a crane to turn this hunk of meat...
  • Post #234 - April 12th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Post #234 - April 12th, 2022, 12:34 pm Post #234 - April 12th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    In case anyone needs ideas for Passover Seder, The Washington Post has some ideas for you.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #235 - April 12th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Post #235 - April 12th, 2022, 2:14 pm Post #235 - April 12th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    EvA wrote:We've bought them from GFS in the past, but I believe they're Choice.

I believe that's true. I've always wondered if Prime briskets have too much fat, and that's why they go for no premium price, vs. other cuts where Prime is priced much higher than Choice. I haven't tried a Prime brisket. Seems like Walmart sold them for very reasonable prices years ago.
  • Post #236 - April 12th, 2022, 2:22 pm
    Post #236 - April 12th, 2022, 2:22 pm Post #236 - April 12th, 2022, 2:22 pm
    tjr wrote:
    EvA wrote:We've bought them from GFS in the past, but I believe they're Choice.

I believe that's true. I've always wondered if Prime briskets have too much fat, and that's why they go for no premium price, vs. other cuts where Prime is priced much higher than Choice. I haven't tried a Prime brisket. Seems like Walmart sold them for very reasonable prices years ago.

The amount of inter-muscular fat in the flat of a typical prime brisket is exceptional, compared to lesser grades. It normally makes a huge difference in a braise or a smoke. I don't think the same pronounced difference exists between the different grades when it comes to the points.

In my experience, packer cuts of prime vs choice are usually about the same price per pound (with prime usually just a bit higher) but the difference in per-pound pricing between the grades is significant when it comes to flats, with the prime sometimes being nearly double.

=R=
  • Post #237 - April 12th, 2022, 2:40 pm
    Post #237 - April 12th, 2022, 2:40 pm Post #237 - April 12th, 2022, 2:40 pm
    I just wrestled -- not an exaggeration -- with my prime brisket to get it browned and into the oven. It does appear to have a great deal of fat. I don't think I've made a prime one before, so we'll see what we think.

By the way, GFS in Evanston is closing. The last day it will be open is this Saturday, April 16. I was in there today to pick up some foil pans, of which they have been a reliable source. The shelves were pretty picked over at this point, but I could still get the large size loaf pans and lids that are very hard to find. I use them when I make Aunt Louise's gefilte fish paté.
  • Post #238 - April 12th, 2022, 3:18 pm
    Post #238 - April 12th, 2022, 3:18 pm Post #238 - April 12th, 2022, 3:18 pm
    EvA wrote:I just wrestled -- not an exaggeration -- with my prime brisket to get it browned and into the oven. It does appear to have a great deal of fat. I don't think I've made a prime one before, so we'll see what we think.

The Emeril Lagasse passover brisket began with broiling the brisket for 10-12 minutes per side. I thought this was in response to having a large brisket to deal with.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #239 - April 12th, 2022, 4:40 pm
    Post #239 - April 12th, 2022, 4:40 pm Post #239 - April 12th, 2022, 4:40 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    EvA wrote:I just wrestled -- not an exaggeration -- with my prime brisket to get it browned and into the oven. It does appear to have a great deal of fat. I don't think I've made a prime one before, so we'll see what we think.

The Emeril Lagasse passover brisket began with broiling the brisket for 10-12 minutes per side. I thought this was in response to having a large brisket to deal with.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I browned it under the broiler in a giant aluminium pan. It wouldn't fit in my biggest roasting pan.
  • Post #240 - April 12th, 2022, 6:52 pm
    Post #240 - April 12th, 2022, 6:52 pm Post #240 - April 12th, 2022, 6:52 pm
    I do my browning (of onions as well as the brisket) in a large wok
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more