LTH Home

What are you cooking for Passover Seder?

What are you cooking for Passover Seder?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 9 
  • Post #241 - April 13th, 2022, 8:43 am
    Post #241 - April 13th, 2022, 8:43 am Post #241 - April 13th, 2022, 8:43 am
    HI,

I never really thought about the dynamics of what is involved in braising a whole brisket until the last week.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #242 - April 15th, 2022, 1:53 pm
    Post #242 - April 15th, 2022, 1:53 pm Post #242 - April 15th, 2022, 1:53 pm
    We're heading out later for a Passover seder and we offered to bring a potato kugel . . .

Mise En Place & Sakai Takayuki, Ryky Tran Edition Blue #2 Gyuto, 240mm
    Yellow onions, russet potatoes, salt, black pepper, eggs and schmaltz. This was mostly a food processor affair. I didn't feel like box-grating 2 onions and 5 pounds of potatoes. Peeling them all was plenty of work. So, I used the knife mainly to cut the peeled onions and potatoes down to food processor-friendly size.

It had been years since I last made this. Perusing the internet to refresh my memory, a lot of recipes/methods call for evoo but somehow, that just didn't seem appropriate. I decided that the rendered chicken fat was the way to go. I think that's how I used to do it.

As experience kugel makers will so often remind us, technique is really important here. Many say it's best to cook it in a glass baking dish, so the top, bottom and sides get really crispy, and so its brownness can be easily monitored as it bakes. The goal here (at least imo) is an ultra-crispy exterior and a naturally creamy interior. Some of the fat schmaltz (or fat of choice) goes into the baking dish and is preheated in the 425F oven until it's very hot. More fat gets heated on the stove top and is added to the mixing bowl with the grated potatoes/onions and eggs. If you do this right, the the bowl will sizzle when the melted fat is added (and you have to work fast to prevent the grated potatoes from oxidizing and turning brown). Mix it all together well and from there, the mixture gets dumped into the hot, schmaltzified baking dish and returned to the 425F oven for 60-90 minutes or until it looks something like this . . .

Potato Kugel
    For some groups, this might be considered a bit "well done." For ours, I think it'll go over quite well. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #243 - April 15th, 2022, 3:02 pm
    Post #243 - April 15th, 2022, 3:02 pm Post #243 - April 15th, 2022, 3:02 pm
    Looks good Mr. Suburban.

Here is a news story about the Maxwell House Haggadah in case anyone is interested.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #244 - April 16th, 2022, 8:56 am
    Post #244 - April 16th, 2022, 8:56 am Post #244 - April 16th, 2022, 8:56 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    EvA wrote:I just wrestled -- not an exaggeration -- with my prime brisket to get it browned and into the oven. It does appear to have a great deal of fat. I don't think I've made a prime one before, so we'll see what we think.

The Emeril Lagasse passover brisket began with broiling the brisket for 10-12 minutes per side. I thought this was in response to having a large brisket to deal with.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Emeril's brisket recipe is outstanding. Served it last night. Leftovers are on tonight's menu. Possibly sneaking some for lunch today. 8)
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #245 - April 2nd, 2023, 2:47 pm
    Post #245 - April 2nd, 2023, 2:47 pm Post #245 - April 2nd, 2023, 2:47 pm
    My Seder brisket is in the oven (bought the whole prime packer from Costco) with help from my son. It was over 12 lbs. prior to trimming, and we broiled it in on a rack in my largest roasting pan to brown. I browned the huge amount of onions called for in Nach Waxman's recipe in some of the rendered trimmed fat in my largest Dutch oven and deglazed with a little dry sherry. I also add more carrots and garlic to the recipe, but overall it's always a winner.

I'm sticking to our usual menu of gefilte fish paté, matzah ball soup, brisket, new potatoes, room temp asparagus (roasted or steamed depending how thick they are), hazelnut torte, and flourless chocolate cake for our Seder of 15 people. This year I am adding a Moroccan carrot salad -- something similar to irisarbor's here.

What are you making?
  • Post #246 - April 2nd, 2023, 4:47 pm
    Post #246 - April 2nd, 2023, 4:47 pm Post #246 - April 2nd, 2023, 4:47 pm
    i just watched alison roman's brisket video and braising does look good, but we're probably sticking with our one two punch of sous-vide and big-green-egg. order from Schlagel, RIP butcher & larder!

also making:
    gefilte fish pate indeed!
    pickle bar
    smitten matzoh ball soup
    roasted farm carrots (or maybe similar to the schmaltzy slow sautéed ones roman did)
    crunchy salad (usually fennel celery apple herbs kinda thing)
    bon appétit cauliflower kugel, a sleeper hit every year
    potato kugel
    deviled eggs (we just get a little goy and carried away)
    matzoh crack
    toasted coconut macaroons

i think our head count is 23 so i will need to calculate quantities and finish shopping
  • Post #247 - April 3rd, 2023, 6:33 am
    Post #247 - April 3rd, 2023, 6:33 am Post #247 - April 3rd, 2023, 6:33 am
    Any Sephardim having Seders? Just curious…
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #248 - April 3rd, 2023, 6:42 am
    Post #248 - April 3rd, 2023, 6:42 am Post #248 - April 3rd, 2023, 6:42 am
    Sticking with Emeril's brisket recipe. It'll be accompanied by M/B soup, moroccan potato pie, matzah crack, and a carrot salad. Guests are bringing another veggie and desserts.
  • Post #249 - April 5th, 2023, 2:50 pm
    Post #249 - April 5th, 2023, 2:50 pm Post #249 - April 5th, 2023, 2:50 pm
    Heading to my step-bro's house for Seder but made one item to bring with . . .

Potato Kugel
    Ready to roll. Wish I could try it now but it'll have to wait until later. 8-)

=R=
  • Post #250 - April 5th, 2023, 3:37 pm
    Post #250 - April 5th, 2023, 3:37 pm Post #250 - April 5th, 2023, 3:37 pm
    One (perfect) smoked brisket, one (pretty good) braised brisket and one (just okay) pulled jackfruit "brisket."
  • Post #251 - April 5th, 2023, 4:19 pm
    Post #251 - April 5th, 2023, 4:19 pm Post #251 - April 5th, 2023, 4:19 pm
    Going to a friends house ( My daughter from Minneapolis was supposed to be here be she got Covid :( ). I was tasked to make:
    Image Gifilte Fish

Topped with horseradish sauce. I pulverized the horseradish in the food processor on the stove top so I can have my vent hood on full blast. Added, wine vinegar, sour cream, salt, pepper and parsley.

Potato Kugel. It is in a split dish only because this was the only dish we could find that was the correct size. It is first time I have ever made a kugel and can't wait to try it.
  • Post #252 - April 5th, 2023, 4:51 pm
    Post #252 - April 5th, 2023, 4:51 pm Post #252 - April 5th, 2023, 4:51 pm
    Ronnie, Lou,

Couple of good looking kugel!

Kugel, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #253 - April 5th, 2023, 11:19 pm
    Post #253 - April 5th, 2023, 11:19 pm Post #253 - April 5th, 2023, 11:19 pm
    Question for those who make matzah crack: The recipes I see online are rather offhand - boil syrup for a certain time but no target temperature, melt chocolate with retained heat vs. spreading tempered chocolate. Is that the way y'all make it or do you use a more formal method?
  • Post #254 - April 5th, 2023, 11:25 pm
    Post #254 - April 5th, 2023, 11:25 pm Post #254 - April 5th, 2023, 11:25 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I was tasked to make:

Gifilte Fish

That looks great, Lou. Do you have a recipe you can share?

G Wiv wrote:Ronnie, Lou,

Kugel, count me a fan!

Thanks, Gary. It turned out pretty good.

=R=
  • Post #255 - April 6th, 2023, 4:44 am
    Post #255 - April 6th, 2023, 4:44 am Post #255 - April 6th, 2023, 4:44 am
    tjr wrote:Question for those who make matzah crack: The recipes I see online are rather offhand - boil syrup for a certain time but no target temperature, melt chocolate with retained heat vs. spreading tempered chocolate. Is that the way y'all make it or do you use a more formal method?

I've been using this recipe from Martha Stewart = https://www.marthastewart.com/319427/ho ... ate-matzah
  • Post #256 - April 6th, 2023, 5:41 am
    Post #256 - April 6th, 2023, 5:41 am Post #256 - April 6th, 2023, 5:41 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:I was tasked to make:

Gifilte Fish

That looks great, Lou. Do you have a recipe you can share?

G Wiv wrote:Ronnie, Lou,

Kugel, count me a fan!

Thanks, Gary. It turned out pretty good.

=R=

I am going to post the recipe in full rather than a link because I have no idea where I got the recipe. I have been using this recipe for at least 10 years. I use a ratio of 2/3 whitefish and 1/3 trout, which I get at Sunset in HP. They also give you for free ground carrot and onion and the heads and bones for making the stock.

• 7 to 7 1/2 pounds whole carp, whitefish, and pike, filleted and ground*
    • 4 quarts cold water or to just cover
    • 3 teaspoons salt or to taste
    • 3 onions, peeled
    • 4 medium carrots, peeled
    • 2 tablespoons sugar or to taste
    • 1 small parsnip, chopped (optional)
    • 3 to 4 large eggs
    • Freshly ground pepper to taste 1/2 cup cold water (approximately)
    • 1/3 cup matzah meal (approximately)

1. Place the reserved bones, skin, and fish heads in a wide, very large saucepan with a cover. Add the water and 2 teaspoons of the salt and bring to a boil. Remove the foam that accumulates.
    2. Slice 1 onion in rounds and add along with 3 of the carrots. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes while the fish mixture is being prepared.
    3. Place the ground fish in a bowl. In a food processor finely chop the remaining onions, the remaining carrot, and the parsnip; or mince them by hand. Add the chopped vegetables to the ground fish.
    4. Add the eggs, one at a time, the remaining teaspoon of salt, pepper, and the cold water, and mix thoroughly. Stir in enough matzah meal to make a light, soft mixture into oval shapes, about 3 inches long. Take the last fish head and stuff the cavity with the ground fish mixture.
    5. Remove from the saucepan the onions, skins, head, and bones and return the stock to a simmer. Gently place the fish patties in the simmering fish stock. Cover loosely and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Taste the liquid while the fish is cooking and add seasoning to taste. Shake the pot periodically so the fish patties won't stick. When gefilte fish is cooked, remove from the water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
    6. Using a slotted spoon carefully remove the gefilte fish and arrange on a platter. Strain some of the stock over the fish, saving the rest in a bowl.
    7. Slice the cooked carrots into rounds cut on a diagonal about 1/4 inch thick. Place a carrot round on top of each gefilte fish patty. Put the fish head in the center and decorate the eyes with carrots. Chill until ready to serve. Serve with a sprig of parsley and horseradish.
  • Post #257 - April 6th, 2023, 9:05 am
    Post #257 - April 6th, 2023, 9:05 am Post #257 - April 6th, 2023, 9:05 am
    lougord99 wrote:I am going to post the recipe in full rather than a link because I have no idea where I got the recipe. I have been using this recipe for at least 10 years. I use a ratio of 2/3 whitefish and 1/3 trout, which I get at Sunset in HP. They also give you for free ground carrot and onion and the heads and bones for making the stock . . .

Thanks, Lou! :)

=R=
  • Post #258 - April 6th, 2023, 10:26 am
    Post #258 - April 6th, 2023, 10:26 am Post #258 - April 6th, 2023, 10:26 am
    EvA wrote:My Seder brisket is in the oven (bought the whole prime packer from Costco) with help from my son. It was over 12 lbs. prior to trimming, and we broiled it in on a rack in my largest roasting pan to brown. I browned the huge amount of onions called for in Nach Waxman's recipe in some of the rendered trimmed fat in my largest Dutch oven and deglazed with a little dry sherry. I also add more carrots and garlic to the recipe, but overall it's always a winner.

I'm happy to say that the prime Costco brisket was delicious using the Waxman recipe. Yes, there's a great deal of fat to trim before braising and then again when separating the flat and the point, but that made it ridiculously tender. I braised it three hours, then refrigerated a few days, after which we defatted the sauce, trimmed and sliced the meat, put it back in the sauce, and reheated/cooked tightly covered with foil for maybe 1.5 hours before and during the Seder. Thirteen carnivores at the table almost finished it, and perhaps if we'd put all of it out, there'd be no leftovers at all.... I really recommend the Waxman recipe for its tastiness and simplicity.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more