LTH Home

homemade pizza gallery (and notes, tips, etc.)

homemade pizza gallery (and notes, tips, etc.)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 22 of 22 
  • Post #631 - June 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm
    Post #631 - June 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm Post #631 - June 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm
    Hi,

I used bread flour. I bought 10 pounds before shutdown. I just cracked open the second bag for this recipe. I might have used it far earlier, but for a while I kept winning bread via Jewel's Monopoly season.

If I did not have bread flour available to me, I would buy gluten to bring up the protein content.

Quite often you have to work with what you have available. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #632 - June 26th, 2020, 9:45 pm
    Post #632 - June 26th, 2020, 9:45 pm Post #632 - June 26th, 2020, 9:45 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:If I did not have bread flour available to me, I would buy gluten to bring up the protein content.
    Can you tell me more? What specific product would you buy?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #633 - June 26th, 2020, 11:10 pm
    Post #633 - June 26th, 2020, 11:10 pm Post #633 - June 26th, 2020, 11:10 pm
    Hi,

I last purchased wheat gluten at Whole Foods. This product is used to make seitan for vegetarians and vegans.

You need to collect information on the percentage of protein you wish to have in your flour. You may want to aim at what King Arthur has in their product.

You need to read the bag of your A-P flour to learn what percent protein is in your flour on hand.

Do the calculations to measure enough gluten to increase the protein content of your A-P flour to bring it up to Bread flour.

I learned about this from a presenter at Culinary Historians who reverse engineered how to make the House of Pancakes German apple pancake. They use a high protein flour unavailable to consumers. To attain the results he wanted, he had to add gluten to the bread flour spelled out in his recipe.

For those who attended, I bought gluten and measured out enough for people to make two German apple pancakes. I guessed people would want to try this at home, but might not want to buy a pound to support their curiosity. For some people, once your curiosity is satisfied, you may never make another. For others, it may convince them to buy for future baking projects.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #634 - June 27th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    Post #634 - June 27th, 2020, 2:07 pm Post #634 - June 27th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    That's all very helpful. Thanks very much!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #635 - June 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm
    Post #635 - June 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm Post #635 - June 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:...I learned about this from a presenter at Culinary Historians who reverse engineered how to make the House of Pancakes German apple pancake. They use a high protein flour unavailable to consumers. To attain the results he wanted, he had to add gluten to the bread flour spelled out in his recipe. ...

Cathy, is this recipe available on line some where? I've been trying to figure out the Original Pancake House Apple pancake recipe with out much luck. Most Apple pancake recipes I found, have the apples floating up into the batter. Thanks.
  • Post #636 - June 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm
    Post #636 - June 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm Post #636 - June 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm
    Hi,

Send me your email via PM, I will send it to you.

It is in the Chicago Tribune archive, but they changed two ingredients. It is over that this person flew in from Washington, D.C. to set the record straight with us.

I have the unadulterated recipe.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #637 - June 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm
    Post #637 - June 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm Post #637 - June 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Send me your email via PM, I will send it to you.

It is in the Chicago Tribune archive, but they changed two ingredients. It is over that this person flew in from Washington, D.C. to set the record straight with us.

I have the unadulterated recipe.

Regards,
    Cathy2

You are most kind, PM on the way.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide