LTH Home

homemade pizza gallery (and notes, tips, etc.)

homemade pizza gallery (and notes, tips, etc.)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 23 of 24
  • Post #661 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:12 am
    Post #661 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:12 am Post #661 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:12 am
    AlekH wrote:dang :D

What he said.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #662 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:13 am
    Post #662 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:13 am Post #662 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:13 am
    Oh, and here's my set-up:

I broke the tile off by hand before realizing that I had an actual tile-cutter in the garage, hence the jagged bottom edge. (d'oh!)

Lots of great looking pies in this thread, and lots of ways to get there! And -- for those wondering -- I think that's about $10 worth of tile there, if that. I bought around $20 worth, half for the grill, half for the oven, and I have a couple left over.
  • Post #663 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am
    Post #663 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am Post #663 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am
    Binko wrote:A couple weeks ago, the Shop & Save at Archer and Central had some flour in their clearance bin. It was "Selzione Casillo Farina di Grano Tenero Tipo 00" for a buck twenty-nine a kilo. Seemed like a good deal for 00 flour, so I bought two.

Exactly what I did, though it was 69 cents a package last Saturday.

BTW - I made your Chicken Paprikash a few days ago, because I had not made any all winter.

Thank you for your contributions. I appreciate your notes on the use of this flour.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #664 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:34 am
    Post #664 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:34 am Post #664 - April 23rd, 2021, 8:34 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Binko wrote:A couple weeks ago, the Shop & Save at Archer and Central had some flour in their clearance bin. It was "Selzione Casillo Farina di Grano Tenero Tipo 00" for a buck twenty-nine a kilo. Seemed like a good deal for 00 flour, so I bought two.

Exactly what I did, though it was 69 cents a package last Saturday.

BTW - I made your Chicken Paprikash a few days ago, because I had not made any all winter.

Thank you for your contributions. I appreciate your notes on the use of this flour.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Sixty-nine cents! That's a steal! I was tempted to snatch them all up at $1.29, but only bought two because I wasn't sure how it'd perform, as I know not all 00 flours are equal. But this one did fine.

Glad you're getting mileage out of the paprikash! During the fall/winter, I've probably made it on average twice a month. Served with plenty of homemade spaetzle/galuska/nokedli, it's so soul satisfying. And easy to make. And frugal.
    Last edited by Binko on April 23rd, 2021, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #665 - April 23rd, 2021, 9:44 am
    Post #665 - April 23rd, 2021, 9:44 am Post #665 - April 23rd, 2021, 9:44 am
    HI,

Yes, in fact the sticky price tag was over another for 99 cents, so 69 cents last weekend.

For the paprikash, I had spaetzle in the freezer from a big batch I had made the week before. This is something I intend to do in the future, because it is an impulse decision to include a meal.

Thanks!

Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #666 - April 26th, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Post #666 - April 26th, 2021, 4:13 pm Post #666 - April 26th, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Binko wrote: white pizza [sour cream, garlic] with walnuts, rosemary, bacon, black pepper, the above mix of cheeses, finished with fresh scallions

Hope you don't mind but this combo sounded so good, I had to riff on it...

White pie (whipped cream base) with rosemary, walnuts, roasted shitakes, charred scallions, mozzarella di bufala, fontina, goat gouda

Thanks for the inspiration, Binko. It was our favorite pizza of the night!
  • Post #667 - April 27th, 2021, 8:47 am
    Post #667 - April 27th, 2021, 8:47 am Post #667 - April 27th, 2021, 8:47 am
    Looks great! I like the idea of the shiitakes and the cheese selection. I have yet to try that whipped cream base -- I'll have to look upthread for the details. I just did thinned out sour cream. Might be worth culturing some creme fraiche for the next go.
  • Post #668 - May 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
    Post #668 - May 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am Post #668 - May 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
    It's morel season!!!! Love this time of year! We found 17 this weekend (mainly black with a few half morels). Here's the first few.

We made a morel/asparagus pizza last night with whipped cream base, local asparagus, sautéed morels with a little cream, mozzarella di bufala and fontina.

I also made a pizza with half whipped cream, leftover herb roast fingerlings from Lula and bacon, mozz and half bacon, red sauce and cheese.

The 3rd pizza was loosely inspired by a tartine recipe from The Splendid Table: white pie with, Mexican chorizo, goat cheese mixed with herbs (marjoram, rosemary, sage, chives, mint), and shitakes. Drizzled with a little honey at the end.

• Post #669 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:29 pm
    Post #669 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:29 pm Post #669 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:29 pm
    Quite possibly I will achieve reviled pariah status:Image
    Two French bread pizzas, one artichoke/black olive/tomato, another mushroom/ancient pepper. Needed something quick and light tonight using ingredients that were around the house.
  • Post #670 - May 5th, 2021, 7:03 am
    Post #670 - May 5th, 2021, 7:03 am Post #670 - May 5th, 2021, 7:03 am
    Is there a primer on posting pictures? I tried for an hour yesterday without success. I also looked on the site for directions.....no joy. Help!
  • Post #671 - May 5th, 2021, 9:07 am
    Post #671 - May 5th, 2021, 9:07 am Post #671 - May 5th, 2021, 9:07 am
    Is there a primer on posting pictures?

Here's some info: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30179
  • Post #672 - May 5th, 2021, 9:20 am
    Post #672 - May 5th, 2021, 9:20 am Post #672 - May 5th, 2021, 9:20 am
    dukesdad wrote:Is there a primer on posting pictures? I tried for an hour yesterday without success. I also looked on the site for directions.....no joy. Help!

Unfortunately, internal image hosting is still currently under construction. .jpg images hosted elsewhere (public image hosting sites like google, flickr, imgur, etc.) can be linked here to display in posts by placing the url/link to the image in your post and bracketing it with [img]and[/img]. Images must be no wider than 800 pixels in order to display correctly.

If you need additional assistance, please let us know. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #673 - May 5th, 2021, 12:33 pm
    Post #673 - May 5th, 2021, 12:33 pm Post #673 - May 5th, 2021, 12:33 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Images must be no wider than 800 pixels in order to display correctly.

Ah! Well that explains why some of my images bleed over the edge. The message board software will accept photos up to 1200px a side, so I always assumed that was the maximum.
  • Post #674 - May 5th, 2021, 3:54 pm
    Post #674 - May 5th, 2021, 3:54 pm Post #674 - May 5th, 2021, 3:54 pm
    dukesdad wrote:Is there a primer on posting pictures? I tried for an hour yesterday without success. I also looked on the site for directions.....no joy. Help!

If you would like a primer on Imgur hosting and adding your photos, PM me.
  • Post #675 - May 5th, 2021, 4:01 pm
    Post #675 - May 5th, 2021, 4:01 pm Post #675 - May 5th, 2021, 4:01 pm
    Binko wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Images must be no wider than 800 pixels in order to display correctly.

Ah! Well that explains why some of my images bleed over the edge. The message board software will accept photos up to 1200px a side, so I always assumed that was the maximum.

Yeah, 900 will work but they also spill over a bit (anything larger is a mess). In the new configuration, image uploads should be possible in any size and will automatically be resized to format correctly.

=R=
  • Post #676 - October 10th, 2021, 4:18 am
    Post #676 - October 10th, 2021, 4:18 am Post #676 - October 10th, 2021, 4:18 am
    How to turn any home oven into a pizza oven
    Cathy2

• Post #677 - December 22nd, 2021, 6:08 pm
    Post #677 - December 22nd, 2021, 6:08 pm Post #677 - December 22nd, 2021, 6:08 pm
    I got an Ooni Fyra 12 from SueF as a birthday present, and finally got the chance to run it live (fired it up to burn off manufacturing residues on Monday).

Used a dough from Serious Eats engineered for these kinds of ovens, that I put up to cold-ferment on Sunday -- it easily doubled in the fridge. Made sauce at lunchtime: two cloves of minced garlic sauteed in olive oil, a good squirt of tomato paste from a tube, a little less than a half-can of crushed Red Gold leftover from something else, a splash from an open bottle of rose, salt, pepper, dry basil.

What, no mozzarella? But hey, a ball of queso oaxaca, that's even better.
    Mine went on first: lightly sauced, torn cheese, dots of sausage and kale (blanched and frozen from my garden). But there wasn't enough cornmeal on the peel, it sort of squished, then didn't want to move around on the stone. Got rather singed on one side (chopped off before photo).

Came out delicious, if a little bready from being squished thicker.

After that lesson, we used a LOT more cornmeal, stretched SueF's dough more (pepperoni and mix of green and kalamata olives). Hers worked perfectly: just a couple char blisters, thin and chewy.

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #678 - January 5th, 2022, 8:47 am
    Post #678 - January 5th, 2022, 8:47 am Post #678 - January 5th, 2022, 8:47 am
    We made a really nice pizza last week with a new combo--leftover PQM porchetta (we had ordered a porchetta for the holidays to cook at home), roasted shitakes and pistachios/olive oil on a whipped cream base with fontina and mozzarella.

• Post #679 - January 5th, 2022, 10:51 am
    Post #679 - January 5th, 2022, 10:51 am Post #679 - January 5th, 2022, 10:51 am
    thaiobsessed wrote:We made a really nice pizza last week with a new combo--leftover PQM porchetta (we had ordered a porchetta for the holidays to cook at home), roasted shitakes and pistachios/olive oil on a whipped cream base with fontina and mozzarella.

That looks pretty awesome. The carnitas I whipped up the other day would probably work too. I wonder how that whipped cream base works with the 800F+ temps of my Ooni -- will it just vaporize?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #680 - January 5th, 2022, 10:54 am
    Post #680 - January 5th, 2022, 10:54 am Post #680 - January 5th, 2022, 10:54 am
    thaiobsessed wrote:We made a really nice pizza last week with a new combo--leftover PQM porchetta (we had ordered a porchetta for the holidays to cook at home), roasted shitakes and pistachios/olive oil on a whipped cream base with fontina and mozzarella.

Wow - absolutely gorgeous! They look so delicious. :)

=R=
  • Post #681 - January 5th, 2022, 2:31 pm
    Post #681 - January 5th, 2022, 2:31 pm Post #681 - January 5th, 2022, 2:31 pm

I am always impressed by your pizzas.
  • Post #682 - January 7th, 2022, 10:54 pm
    Post #682 - January 7th, 2022, 10:54 pm Post #682 - January 7th, 2022, 10:54 pm
    Made my first attempt at a Quad Cities Style Pizza tonight. The dough, I thought, was interesting — involved adding pepper, oregano, and paprika, but the hallmark of the dough is its maltiness. I didn’t have any malt syrup, so I substituted DME with a little more liquid.

Topped with a thin layer of tomato sauce, some onions, mushroom, fennel-based sausage, and komatsuna, with mozzarerlla on top.Image

Baked at 450° on my brand new pizza steel, it was a bit overdone. (I was used to using a pizza stone, which finally cracked into too many pieces to save it.) The heat retaining capacity was apparently somewhat greater than the stone.

It got the traditional Quad Cities long strip cut.Image

Tasted pretty good — the maltiness of the crust really came through. (Based on a Washington Post article adapted from a recipe from Roots Handmade Pizza in Chicago.)
    (If images don't show, make sure any ad blockers will allow you to accept stuff from advertising-marketing.com.)
  • Post #683 - March 27th, 2022, 7:40 am
    Post #683 - March 27th, 2022, 7:40 am Post #683 - March 27th, 2022, 7:40 am
    JoelF wrote:
    I wonder how that whipped cream base works with the 800F+ temps of my Ooni -- will it just vaporize?

We're typically baking our pies between 850 and 900 and the whipped cream holds up just fine.

Here's some recent pies inspired by the need to clean out the freezer:

The 'Gringa': Leftover pork al pastor, grilled scallions, pickled red onions, mozzarella, cotija, cilantro on a whipped cream base

Leftover Thai red curry pork shoulder, roasted cauliflower, pickled jalapeños, pickled red onion, basil, mozz on a whipped cream base

• Post #684 - December 29th, 2022, 8:11 pm
    Post #684 - December 29th, 2022, 8:11 pm Post #684 - December 29th, 2022, 8:11 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Anko wrote:First attempt at Kenji's new Detroit-style pizza recipe:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/how-to-make-detroit-style-pizza.html

This stood out when I read through the article:
    Detroit pizza is unusual in two ways when it comes to cheese. The first is the use of Brick cheese, a high-fat aged cheese from Wisconsin with a uniquely tangy, salty, buttery flavor that's hard to replace with alternatives. The second is the edges. If you've ever been to Pequod's or Burt's Place in Chicago, or, better yet, had a pizza from Windy City Pie in Seattle (incidentally, the best Chicago-style pan pizza I've ever had anywhere, including in Chicago), then you're familiar with the concept of a crispy, blackened cheese crust—the shelf of crisp, lacy cheese that surrounds the edge of the pizza. This is where the real magic of Detroit-style pizza lies, and, as I found out, getting it is not exactly straightforward.

Woke up this morning to discussion about Detroit pizza on the radio. I made the dough and tomato sauce. No need to run to the store, because I already had pepperoni and brick cheese waiting for this day.

I did a mash up between Cook's Country/ATK and SeriousEat's Kenji Lopez recipes for Detroit-style pizza.
    - I used the dough from Kenji, but let it rise in the pan per ATK.
    - I made the ATK sauce (+ Kenji's onion and garlic powder), but to Kenji's proportions (otherwise I would have had an orphan amount of tomato sauce left).
    - I did not use Monterey Jack cheese suggested by ATK, I used brick. I used Kenji's heat recommendation of 550 for 15 minutes and let it rest per ATK for five minutes.

My Dad thought it was too saucy initially. Later once the cheese cooled more, it was ok.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #685 - December 30th, 2022, 7:37 pm
    Post #685 - December 30th, 2022, 7:37 pm Post #685 - December 30th, 2022, 7:37 pm
    I make the Cook's Country version every couple months. I use very mild brick like Torkellson's, and a lower temperature than the max. One nice thing about this style of pizza is that there is no need for a pizza stone.

The two key factors in this style of pizza, to me, are brushing plenty of olive oil onto the pan that the dough will rise in, and doing the sauce in narrow stripes so that plenty of cheese is exposed. One more sort of obvious tip: additional toppings need to be restricted so that the weight of the toppings don't smash down the fluffy crust.

I use a couple of old 9x13 tin plated cake pans that are nicely blackened. Recently I wanted to buy some new pans to put together a Detroit style gift set for a friend and was unable to find reasonably priced tinned steel cake pans that would blacken over time.

This could be a very different pie using different styles of brick, such as Widmer's cello brick. And I really wouldn't want the edges to be as black as the Serious Eats photo - I shoot for a golden brown on all the exposed cheese.
  • Post #686 - November 21st, 2023, 2:52 pm
    Post #686 - November 21st, 2023, 2:52 pm Post #686 - November 21st, 2023, 2:52 pm
    My attempts to make Antioch/Waukegan style pizza grew out of a few discussions on a pizza making forum which suggested that pizza up on the cheddar border is slightly different from south side thin crust (If you ask me, here it's a little thicker and softer, and the square cut thing is less dogmatic):
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index ... ic=64897.0
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index ... c=48952.20

To add to this, local kids seem to think Quonset is the best thin crust around here, or even best pizza overall, with Kaiser's and Fatman's just a little lower. More west, Antioch Pizza (multiple locations) is pretty similar. I, and for that matter most of the locals, haven't been to Wells Bros in suburban Racine to see if that beats them all in a similar style. Perhaps an expedition this winter break.

My recipe for 3 10" pies:
    Crust:
    320 g Ceresota or Dakota Maid all purpose flour
    150 g warm water
    6 g salt
    24 g corn oil
    2 g instant dry yeast
    Knead just until uniform, refrigerate 1-2 days, roll/stretch very thin with no or minimal added flour. I roll and stretch flat with a minimal rim.

Sauce:
    3 Tbsp tomato paste
    6 Tbsp water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    Black & red pepper + oregano to taste

Sauce goes on first followed by cheese and toppings of choice.

I start baking these on flat aluminum pans on a stone at 550F. Once they're set I finish directly on the stone until the crust is just crispy. With better peel skills it should be possible to bake directly on the stone - dough is not very sticky - if there aren't too many toppings.
  • Post #687 - November 21st, 2023, 2:59 pm
    Post #687 - November 21st, 2023, 2:59 pm Post #687 - November 21st, 2023, 2:59 pm
    Hi,

I have a friend whose family farm was on the WI-IL border. I am going to make this pizza for her sometime.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy
    Cathy2

• Post #688 - December 21st, 2023, 10:47 am
    Post #688 - December 21st, 2023, 10:47 am Post #688 - December 21st, 2023, 10:47 am
    ImageSort of Napolean crust refrigerated for 24 hours. Topped with mashed potatoes ( white potatoes with garlic cream and butter) homemade bacon, parmesean and after cooking green onions
  • Post #689 - December 21st, 2023, 11:57 am
    Post #689 - December 21st, 2023, 11:57 am Post #689 - December 21st, 2023, 11:57 am
    lougord99 wrote:ImageSort of Napolean crust refrigerated for 24 hours. Topped with mashed potatoes ( white potatoes with garlic cream and butter) homemade bacon, parmesean and after cooking green onions

What did you think of this preparation and taste?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #690 - December 21st, 2023, 12:41 pm
    Post #690 - December 21st, 2023, 12:41 pm Post #690 - December 21st, 2023, 12:41 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Sort of Napolean crust . . .

Sorry in advance for this . . . :lol:

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events