LTH Home

Balinese Long Pepper?

Balinese Long Pepper?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Balinese Long Pepper?

Post #1 - August 4th, 2009, 1:33 pm
    Post #1 - August 4th, 2009, 1:33 pm Post #1 - August 4th, 2009, 1:33 pm
    Do any of the local grocers carry Balinese long pepper? Or do I need to order it online? Thanks.
  • Post #2 - August 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm
    Post #2 - August 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm Post #2 - August 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm
    My first instinct was that Spice House most likely has it, but I can't seem to find it on their website. That doesn't mean they don't have it - my search-fu could be weak. I reccomend stopping in and looking anyway, if only because you'll definitely find something there you will want.

Spice House
    1512 North Wells Street
    Chicago, IL 60610
    312-274-0378

(Evanston, IL, Geneva, IL, and Milwaukee, WI locations also available.)
  • Post #3 - April 24th, 2016, 8:31 am
    Post #3 - April 24th, 2016, 8:31 am Post #3 - April 24th, 2016, 8:31 am
    Hi,

I just learned from Colleen Sen, who writes about Indian food, she found these peppers a few years ago on Devon Ave sold as herbal medicines.

I hope it is easier now to locate, though in a pinch it may not be on the food aisle.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #4 - November 17th, 2020, 11:33 am
    Post #4 - November 17th, 2020, 11:33 am Post #4 - November 17th, 2020, 11:33 am
    Hi,

Here is an idea: someone went to an Indian shop and could not find it, but then checked an Indian shop specializing in medicinal herbs, she found the long pepper immediately. She returned to the first store to show them what she was looking for, they then located it in their inventory, too.

Long pepper in India are often used for medicinal preparations. It may just be in the medicinal herb section rather than cooking.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #5 - November 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm
    Post #5 - November 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm Post #5 - November 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm
    Amazon has a number of choices.
    Coming to you from Leiper's Fork, TN where we prefer forking to spooning.
  • Post #6 - November 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm
    Post #6 - November 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm Post #6 - November 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm
    Rick T. wrote:Amazon has a number of choices.

Earlier today I was at a culinary discussion with people in Copenhagen, London and other far off places. The presenter had acquired her long pepper on a family visit to India. Everyone else who made a suggested recipe came up dry with the long pepper. Except for the person who checked medicinal spices after culinary spices did not pan out.

Long ago, Erik M spent considerable time looking for long pepper all over Chicago. This discussion today reminded me of his search. I wondered if checking medicinal rather than culinary might have found what he sought.

Back in 2005 or so, Amazon might not yet solved his needs for long peppers. I think he had someone coming in from Asia bring a quantity for this needs.

I thought looking at medicinal over culinary spices might solve other people's searches for something obscure.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #7 - November 17th, 2020, 9:42 pm
    Post #7 - November 17th, 2020, 9:42 pm Post #7 - November 17th, 2020, 9:42 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Back in 2005 or so, Amazon might not yet solved his needs for long peppers. I think he had someone coming in from Asia bring a quantity for this needs.

As I recall he had Spice House special order it. I wouldn't be surprised if I still have a little of his spice blend after all these years.

For a wide variety of pepper varieties, I've not seen anything like Spice Trekkers of Montreal. They sell two types of long pepper from India, one from Indonesia, another from Ethiopia, and 'green alder pepper' that looks like it must be related. They even have three types of voatsiperifery, a wild pepper from Madagascar that I've been playing around with recently. The recipes on their website are really worth a look. I haven't ordered from them, but discovered them recently when looking for information on voatsiperifery.
  • Post #8 - November 17th, 2020, 10:39 pm
    Post #8 - November 17th, 2020, 10:39 pm Post #8 - November 17th, 2020, 10:39 pm
    Rene G wrote:As I recall he had Spice House special order it. I wouldn't be surprised if I still have a little of his spice blend after all these years.

I recall he approached Spice House. He was also asking people to bring it from abroad. He was really searching high and low for this pepper. Did not think about it for a long time until this discussion today.

I do have some of the spice blend with the attached instructions and recipes. I consider it a historical artifact.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - November 18th, 2020, 1:48 am
    Post #9 - November 18th, 2020, 1:48 am Post #9 - November 18th, 2020, 1:48 am
    I used to source long pepper at the Old Town Spice House, I understand this is now a no go. FY Penzey's. The flavor is incomparable.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more