LTH Home

Sun Sun Snack Shop

Sun Sun Snack Shop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sun Sun Snack Shop

Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 9:46 am
    Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 9:46 am Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 9:46 am
    Sun Sun Snack Shop (located under the Argyle Red Line stop) makes fresh rice noodle sheets, using a very large apparatus back behind the counter (unfortunately not in operation when I stopped by). I picked up a package this morning - ones rolled up with bits of dried shrimp and scallion - and they were quite good.

I don't really know much about how thick different fresh rice noodles are supposed to be, but I feel like these are more like chow fun than the noodle sheets used in banh cuon. It's possible that they make ones of different thickness levels for different uses, I didn't have time to inquire while running off to the train.

The only options I've seen are packages of plain noodle rolls or dried shrimp/scallion, though I've only been there twice now. They also sell a few varieties of steamed buns - I picked up a pack of bbq pork ones today, but haven't tried them yet.

Sun Sun Snack Shop
    1117 W Argyle St (under the Red Line)
    Chicago, IL 60640
    (773) 769-5122

-Dan
  • Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 10:53 am
    Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 10:53 am Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 10:53 am
    The rolled up ones with shrimp and scallions, pan fried (in its rolled up state), served with light soy, sesame oil, sweet bean sauce (not hoisin, but close-ish) and some watered down peanut sauce... Brings back memories of growing up in HK. :)

Thanks for reminding me about Sun Sun. I will definitely have to pick up a pack the next time I'm up by Argyle!
  • Post #3 - November 27th, 2009, 9:16 am
    Post #3 - November 27th, 2009, 9:16 am Post #3 - November 27th, 2009, 9:16 am
    dansch wrote:The only options I've seen are packages of plain noodle rolls or dried shrimp/scallion, though I've only been there twice now. They also sell a few varieties of steamed buns - I picked up a pack of bbq pork ones today, but haven't tried them yet

I'm partial to the dried shrimp/scallion, which I typically buy on Argyle St at Chiu Quon or Viet Hoa. I simply pan fry until crisp and sauce with a bit of soy/chili oil or sweet soy, though CrazyC's sweet bean sauce or peanut sauce sounds tasty.

Mike G has a nice pic, fourth one down, ---> here.

I haven't been in Sun Sun for a while, though it is a nice little shop. Last time I was there I started to take a picture and I thought the counter woman was going to jump over the counter and bash my head in with a bao.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Chiu Quon Bakery
    1127 W. Argyle
    Chicago, IL
    773-907-8888

Viethoa Plaza
    1051 W Argyle St
    Chicago, IL 60640
    773-334-1028
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - November 27th, 2009, 11:55 am
    Post #4 - November 27th, 2009, 11:55 am Post #4 - November 27th, 2009, 11:55 am
    Gary,

I hadn't had the ones at Chiu Quon before, so I just walked down and grabbed a package of them. They're good, but I think I prefer the ones at Sun Sun. I found Chiu Quon's to be oily, sloppily rolled, and the dried shrimp kind of mushy. The noodles themselves lacked a nice chew and had just melded together in to a log. Pan-fried they're definitely better (eating them right now with some soy and sriracha, but next time I have a hankering, I'll go back to Sun Sun.

For some reason I've just never been a fan of Chiu Quon - I want to like the place, but I'm just never happy with their products. I picked up some bao there (along with some Sun Sun bbq pork ones) the other day for a coworker I'm trying to wean off of Wow Bao and thought Chiu Quon's fillings were mushy and overly sweet (particularly the bbq pork/egg/sausage). On my quest for Argyle's best curry beef bun for a different coworker, we both found Chi Quon's to be at the bottom of the pile.

-Dan
  • Post #5 - May 1st, 2011, 6:24 pm
    Post #5 - May 1st, 2011, 6:24 pm Post #5 - May 1st, 2011, 6:24 pm
    I was up on Argyle on Saturday for the first time in quite a while and saw the windows at Sun Sun papered over. I tried calling their number and it's disconnected. Hopefully they just moved elsewhere - I'd hate to see them disappear. Anyone have any insight?

-Dan
  • Post #6 - May 2nd, 2011, 8:02 am
    Post #6 - May 2nd, 2011, 8:02 am Post #6 - May 2nd, 2011, 8:02 am
    dansch wrote:I was up on Argyle on Saturday for the first time in quite a while and saw the windows at Sun Sun papered over. I tried calling their number and it's disconnected. Hopefully they just moved elsewhere - I'd hate to see them disappear. Anyone have any insight?

-Dan

Dan-

There seems to be a full-scale renovation of vendors under the L tracks. It may be that they are temporarily closed. Up at the Berwyn stop, a convenience store and dry cleaners both closed in mid-April with signs saying they'd be reopening soon.
    -Mary
  • Post #7 - May 2nd, 2011, 8:49 am
    Post #7 - May 2nd, 2011, 8:49 am Post #7 - May 2nd, 2011, 8:49 am
    Thanks - I'll swing back by in a few weeks and see if there's any change. I sure would miss the fresh rice noodles, char siu bao, and Chinese fried dough fresh from the fryer...

-Dan

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more