LTH Home

Beard Papa

Beard Papa
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 26th, 2010, 4:25 pm
    Post #31 - March 26th, 2010, 4:25 pm Post #31 - March 26th, 2010, 4:25 pm
    Shaggywillis wrote:No, are trying to be a smart ass? I like it.
    :lol:

    Went back today (yep used the pedway to hit the redline to meet friend @ Nordstroms). I tried the much loved strawberry. I now understand why they can't fill the mini cream puffs with strawberry. There are big chunks of actual strawberry in it. It was unreal.

    I think Beard Papa maybe too close to me. I'm glad I'm not nearby on the weekends. That means at least 2 days/week without Beard Papa.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #32 - March 30th, 2010, 3:10 pm
    Post #32 - March 30th, 2010, 3:10 pm Post #32 - March 30th, 2010, 3:10 pm
    Went again today, and tried the Paris Brest, which was pretty good and the original with chocolate custard this time. Both were really good, I prefer the actual cream puff round texture compared to the Paris Brest, to each their own. I also prefer the original vanilla custard filling vs. the chocolate. The chocolate is good, I just like the vanilla. I am also tempted to research their "Natural" comments in their advertisement. The word has me intrigued on what they really mean by "Natural".
  • Post #33 - March 31st, 2010, 3:09 pm
    Post #33 - March 31st, 2010, 3:09 pm Post #33 - March 31st, 2010, 3:09 pm
    Thanks for turning me on to this strawberry puff with fresh strawberries. It was like eating a strawberry cloud. Light and airy.
  • Post #34 - March 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm
    Post #34 - March 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm Post #34 - March 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm
    Have you seen the cartoon story of Beard Papa? If not, you must watch it. It makes me love them more.
  • Post #35 - April 29th, 2011, 1:14 pm
    Post #35 - April 29th, 2011, 1:14 pm Post #35 - April 29th, 2011, 1:14 pm
    I finally got to try BP.
    Just got back with a vanilla and a chocolate - both with the original pastry.

    Very good indeed, and only a 5 min walk from the office. Now that the sun will be out more this will be a regular stop.
  • Post #36 - January 14th, 2013, 12:09 pm
    Post #36 - January 14th, 2013, 12:09 pm Post #36 - January 14th, 2013, 12:09 pm
    Was saddened to discover Beard Papa is no mas. Tried to go yesterday and was told they closed in late Nov.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #37 - January 14th, 2013, 2:07 pm
    Post #37 - January 14th, 2013, 2:07 pm Post #37 - January 14th, 2013, 2:07 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Was saddened to discover Beard Papa is no mas. Tried to go yesterday and was told they closed in late Nov.

    I'd only discovered Beard Papa in the spring, so I was very sad when our love affair got cut short. Based on the owners' tweets, it sounds as if this was a franchised location and the owners relocated to Chicago from LA to open it. (I suspect those of us who have lived here for years would have seen red flags with the location.) In another tweet they say that they expect someone else will [url=in the]open a Beard Papa location elsewhere in Chicago[/url] at some point.
  • Post #38 - January 15th, 2013, 4:13 pm
    Post #38 - January 15th, 2013, 4:13 pm Post #38 - January 15th, 2013, 4:13 pm
    Yeah, it's too bad, I really like this place. Alas, I think block 37 (especially the section where beard papa was) is not a good location for storefronts. It always seems empty to me, even when state street itself is packed.
  • Post #39 - January 15th, 2013, 5:27 pm
    Post #39 - January 15th, 2013, 5:27 pm Post #39 - January 15th, 2013, 5:27 pm
    Suiname wrote:Yeah, it's too bad, I really like this place. Alas, I think block 37 (especially the section where beard papa was) is not a good location for storefronts. It always seems empty to me, even when state street itself is packed.


    No foot track because the movie theater fell through I suspect. Andy's custard closed the end of last year & I won't be surprised if Auntie Annie's (sp) & Thalia pack it in at the end of their leases as well. This would have been a food court perfect to anchor a "mall" with that theater driving traffic to those spots in the pedway and at the same time introducing them to the larger community.

    There was never a huge mob of folks, not even at the ABP or sandwich place.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #40 - August 15th, 2020, 11:18 am
    Post #40 - August 15th, 2020, 11:18 am Post #40 - August 15th, 2020, 11:18 am
    They're baaaack... :D

    marothisu wrote:Famous Japanese cream puff brand Beard Papa's is opening in Wicker Park on August 22nd. They used to be in Block 37 but that closed. This location is a former Forever Yogurt. They mainly serve cream puffs with some traditional flavors as well as ones like oreo, dulce de leche, and green tea. They also have a few other types of dessert such as cheesecake, as well as cream-based drinks.

    Their current stores in the US are in the NYC, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, and Boston areas. Re-add Chicago to the list.

    Opening August 22nd
    Beard Papa's
    1924 W North Ave
    (773) 904-7280

    https://beardpapas.com
  • Post #41 - August 15th, 2020, 6:19 pm
    Post #41 - August 15th, 2020, 6:19 pm Post #41 - August 15th, 2020, 6:19 pm
    Damn I was addicted to those things when they were in the loop. Can't wait.
  • Post #42 - August 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm
    Post #42 - August 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm Post #42 - August 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm
    I'll take whatever good news I can get
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #43 - August 17th, 2020, 5:08 pm
    Post #43 - August 17th, 2020, 5:08 pm Post #43 - August 17th, 2020, 5:08 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:They're baaaack... :D

    marothisu wrote:Famous Japanese cream puff brand Beard Papa's is opening in Wicker Park on August 22nd. They used to be in Block 37 but that closed. This location is a former Forever Yogurt. They mainly serve cream puffs with some traditional flavors as well as ones like oreo, dulce de leche, and green tea. They also have a few other types of dessert such as cheesecake, as well as cream-based drinks.

    Their current stores in the US are in the NYC, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, and Boston areas. Re-add Chicago to the list.

    Opening August 22nd
    Beard Papa's
    1924 W North Ave
    (773) 904-7280

    https://beardpapas.com


    I was just thinking about Beard Papa...yum!
  • Post #44 - August 17th, 2020, 7:26 pm
    Post #44 - August 17th, 2020, 7:26 pm Post #44 - August 17th, 2020, 7:26 pm
    stevez wrote:I had my first Beard Papas after the recent Loop Lunch at Ginza. Count me among the fans of this light yet satisfying pastry! I love the Asian sensibility of these cream puffs. Not too sweet and astonishingly light for as rich and delicious as they are. I tried both vanilla and strawberry. Both were great, and I'm not usually a fan of strawberry pastry items.


    This was my first thought when I heard this news...like to think that it’s a little gift from heaven, steve-z-style :)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #45 - August 18th, 2020, 2:33 am
    Post #45 - August 18th, 2020, 2:33 am Post #45 - August 18th, 2020, 2:33 am
    Well damn - now I'm sad again about Ginza :(
  • Post #46 - September 11th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Post #46 - September 11th, 2020, 2:41 pm Post #46 - September 11th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Beard Papa’s cream puffs return with the rise of a cute food boom in Chicago (Tribune)
  • Post #47 - September 11th, 2020, 3:31 pm
    Post #47 - September 11th, 2020, 3:31 pm Post #47 - September 11th, 2020, 3:31 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    stevez wrote:I had my first Beard Papas after the recent Loop Lunch at Ginza. Count me among the fans of this light yet satisfying pastry! I love the Asian sensibility of these cream puffs. Not too sweet and astonishingly light for as rich and delicious as they are. I tried both vanilla and strawberry. Both were great, and I'm not usually a fan of strawberry pastry items.


    This was my first thought when I heard this news...like to think that it’s a little gift from heaven, steve-z-style :)


    He wrote that post on my birthday. xx
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more