LTH Home

Did your le creuset dutch oven survive?

Did your le creuset dutch oven survive?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 30th, 2010, 10:31 am
    Post #31 - November 30th, 2010, 10:31 am Post #31 - November 30th, 2010, 10:31 am
    femalemadman wrote:i've never visited a le creuset outlet store but "hear" there are outlet/factory stores at the aurora outlet mall and in kenosha.
    can anyone tell me a little about how the pricing/selection is?
    any special holiday deals right now?
    thank you so much in advance! :)

After borrowing my old college roommate's dutch oven to make sure I would actually use it. I use it to make the infamous No-Knead Bread (Cook's Illustrated's version to be precise).

I went up to Kenosha and purchased it. I think you can contact them/get on their mailing list and they will send out offerings. Good Luck. The selection seemed pretty wide to me in Kenosha, both in terms of selection of pots & colors.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #32 - November 30th, 2010, 1:59 pm
    Post #32 - November 30th, 2010, 1:59 pm Post #32 - November 30th, 2010, 1:59 pm
    femalemadman wrote:i've never visited a le creuset outlet store but "hear" there are outlet/factory stores at the aurora outlet mall and in kenosha.

Don't go in expecting huge discounts -- I would say maybe 15-20% off of list (comparable to what you can find at many non-outlet retail stores). Where you can come away with good deals, however, is on discontinued colors and "seconds" (which are most often labeled as such due to aesthetic blemishes, sometimes things that you really cannot tell are off). I believe they also run sales around holidays (not just Christmas, but things like Veteran's Day (all red, white, or blue pieces 20% off or something like that)), so worth checking on that. Selection is quite good.
  • Post #33 - November 30th, 2010, 2:29 pm
    Post #33 - November 30th, 2010, 2:29 pm Post #33 - November 30th, 2010, 2:29 pm
    Even though I visited the Kenosha outlet many times, and they sometimes have great deals on certain items, the best prices for the more traditionnal Le Creuset's "cocottes" that you call "dutch ovens" can usually find at either Bloomingdale's or Macy's when they have their annual cookware sales. These are the 2 department stores where I bought my 2 Le Creuset cocottes. But when they have these special sales you better show up early since their sales items in stock are limited.
    Tuesday Morning stores also have sometimes great prices on Le Creuset cookware. But it is a pure matter of timing and luck.
    By the way of the 4 Le Creuset pieces of pots and pans that I use very frequently, none has ever been damaged. The only thing that might be disturbing is, after a few years, a slight discoloration of the enamel at the bottom. But that is totally normal . My mother used to cook in a used Le Creuset cocotte that my grandma had given her when she got married and the bottom was practically brown in color. Nevertheless she continued to use that pot for 30 more years....
    Last edited by alain40 on December 1st, 2010, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #34 - November 30th, 2010, 2:43 pm
    Post #34 - November 30th, 2010, 2:43 pm Post #34 - November 30th, 2010, 2:43 pm
    vickyp wrote:The only thing that my oft used and dishwasher cleaned 7.5 quart pot didn't survive was a four inch fall from the bottom shelf of the pot rack. My husband called me at work and said, "Babe, I broke the big le creuset." I said, "Gosh, you are strong if you can break IRON!" It must have hit just the right (or wrong way) on the floor and an entire section cracked right off. I took a picture of our sad pitiful pot and included it with a letter to the le creuset customer relations department. Within about 10 days I received a lovely call from them asking what color 7.5 quart pot I would like them to send to me!

I had the exact same thing happen and called Le Creuset. They sent me a box to send it back, then sent me a coupon for 20% off a new pan a few weeks later. :( I was surprised as it was a brand new pan subjected to a VERY short fall and the handle snapped off like it was made of legos upon hitting my ceramic tiled floor. No replacement for me, I'll just have to keep working on my mother to give me her set from the 70's. :wink:
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #35 - November 30th, 2010, 6:27 pm
    Post #35 - November 30th, 2010, 6:27 pm Post #35 - November 30th, 2010, 6:27 pm
    We've been in the market for a large dutch (Or french) oven.
    I've seen the factory seconds at TJMaxx, Home Goods and Marshalls. Large ovens, 8qt+, are $150-200. Some have major flaws but I couldn't find any blemishes on others. Some had probably been banged or dropped there at the store. One had a 'chip' in the enamel about the size of my hand!

I read somewhere during my research that they have a 2 tiered return policy. If the damage is covered under their generous warranty, a new piece is offered. If the claim is determined to be due to 'abuse', the claimant receives a 20% coupon - still not bad. Sorry, I can't find the link I saw discussing this at the moment.

I did buy a couple small ovens earlier in the fall. They are supposed to be 'old'. I was hoping someone here could help me date these:
    I don't have a shot of the bottoms but they are the familiar Le Creuset stamps. Model numbers are 24, 22 and 18 or 19, large to small.
  • Post #36 - November 30th, 2010, 9:48 pm
    Post #36 - November 30th, 2010, 9:48 pm Post #36 - November 30th, 2010, 9:48 pm
    BrendanR wrote:
    I did buy a couple small ovens earlier in the fall. They are supposed to be 'old'. I was hoping someone here could help me date these:
    I don't have a shot of the bottoms but they are the familiar Le Creuset stamps. Model numbers are 24, 22 and 18 or 19, large to small.

Hi Brendan,

Le Creuset has a line called the Heritage collection which "captures the original spirit of Le Creuset" This line has an oval oven that looks a lot like your round ones. According to their website, the design dates from the 1930-40s.

http://www.lecreuset.com/en-us/Whats-New/Heritage-Flame/Heritage-Cast-Iron/

Also, the numbers on the bottom are not indicative of any model, but rather the size of the pan/pot in centimeters.

Kim
  • Post #37 - December 1st, 2010, 2:59 pm
    Post #37 - December 1st, 2010, 2:59 pm Post #37 - December 1st, 2010, 2:59 pm

On 10/28 at the Kenosha location, the factory store was running an outstanding sale on the oval 6 3/4 qt in just about any color. I believe it was being sold for $128, whereas it regularly retails for ~$250. They also had general sales of 25% off all their other lines and an even bigger discount on some discontinued colors (ugly in my opinion).

You can call them up and ask them what deals they have. If it doesn't bother you, have them put you on their mailing list. They will give you advance notice of their big sales.

I've been in there twice and found the salespeople very pushy. Be warned.

Also, seeing as how they sell mostly second quality. Be sure to inspect your item and ask to see multiple to choose the one with the lesser defect. All enameled cast iron sold in the store, whether first or second quality, has the lifetime warranty.

Enjoy.
  • Post #38 - December 7th, 2010, 12:56 pm
    Post #38 - December 7th, 2010, 12:56 pm Post #38 - December 7th, 2010, 12:56 pm
    thanks, everybody (for the info re the outlets in kenosha and aurora).
    i called to be put on their mailing lists (it's via post not email . . . . ) - success!

In case anyone else would like to do the same, here is the contact info:

Kenosha Le Creuset - 262.857.3124

Aurora Le Creuset - 630.851.3100

Cheers!
    " . . . that makes me the ham!"
  • Post #39 - December 7th, 2010, 1:49 pm
    Post #39 - December 7th, 2010, 1:49 pm Post #39 - December 7th, 2010, 1:49 pm
    Just called to be added to list in Aurora and was told that if you're on their "preferred list", you can take an extra 35% off purchases of more than $100 until Jan. 31, 2011.
  • Post #40 - December 7th, 2010, 1:51 pm
    Post #40 - December 7th, 2010, 1:51 pm Post #40 - December 7th, 2010, 1:51 pm
    what does one need to do to be "on the preferred list?"
    great! :) thank you!
  • Post #41 - December 7th, 2010, 2:16 pm
    Post #41 - December 7th, 2010, 2:16 pm Post #41 - December 7th, 2010, 2:16 pm
    He said I was automatically on it when I joined their mailing list. So I guess all you have to do is call and ask. The gentleman launched into descriptions of the many cool products, but I had to cut him short because I'm at work. He was surely passionate about the products!
  • Post #42 - December 16th, 2010, 6:12 pm
    Post #42 - December 16th, 2010, 6:12 pm Post #42 - December 16th, 2010, 6:12 pm
    My mom went to the outlet store in Miramar, FL (near Naples) on a mission for me - after calling and registering to be on their mailing list/preferred mailing list.
    (I was after a gift for a friend!).
    She managed to get a 10 in sq skillet grill AND a 4 qt round dutch oven for a total bill of 176 bucks!
    SCORE.
    Thanks again, everyone!
    :)
  • Post #43 - December 16th, 2010, 6:28 pm
    Post #43 - December 16th, 2010, 6:28 pm Post #43 - December 16th, 2010, 6:28 pm
    I've been to the one in Kenosha. The selection is pretty good - better than what you'd find in a general cookware store in Chicago.

Through Jan. 2 they are running a promotion where you get 25% off any purchase of $100 or more in the factory store.
    See http://www.lcstores.com/
  • Post #44 - December 16th, 2010, 6:33 pm
    Post #44 - December 16th, 2010, 6:33 pm Post #44 - December 16th, 2010, 6:33 pm
    well it isn't a le crueset but our 6.5qt dutch oven from Sams Cub for 39bucks exceeds all expectations so far---good tool at a very nice price point!
  • Post #45 - December 17th, 2010, 7:37 am
    Post #45 - December 17th, 2010, 7:37 am Post #45 - December 17th, 2010, 7:37 am
    If anyone is still looking for dutchovens or other cast enemal, head over to Aldi's. DO's are $29 and roasters are $18. I bought a 5 qt braiser last year and it is wonderful. No troulbe with high oven heats and no chipping.
  • Post #46 - May 8th, 2016, 6:44 pm
    Post #46 - May 8th, 2016, 6:44 pm Post #46 - May 8th, 2016, 6:44 pm
    Does anyone here, maybe commercial chefs, have experience with the largest capacity Le Creusets? I am looking at the 13 quart round and the 15 quart oval online but have struck out finding a store in town with them in stock, so I can't tell how unwieldy they are -- wondering how folks feel about using them for large quantities, versus splitting the volume between two smaller dutch ovens.
  • Post #47 - May 8th, 2016, 6:50 pm
    Post #47 - May 8th, 2016, 6:50 pm Post #47 - May 8th, 2016, 6:50 pm
    annak wrote:Does anyone here, maybe commercial chefs, have experience with the largest capacity Le Creusets? I am looking at the 13 quart round and the 15 quart oval online but have struck out finding a store in town with them in stock, so I can't tell how unwieldy they are -- wondering how folks feel about using them for large quantities, versus splitting the volume between two smaller dutch ovens.

I have a 13.5 quart round one and it's great for big batches of stuff but it's effing heavy. I mean, even empty it's a challenge to lift. But there have been many times when I've been very grateful to have it.

I'd definitely choose it over 2 smaller ones (though, I have those, too) because sometimes you have a larger piece of meat that you don't want to split into 2 pieces. Plus, even though it's a bit unwieldy on the cleaning side, it's still better than cleaning 2 separate pieces and 2 lids. A professional chef, who might have someone else on dish duty, might feel differently. :wink:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #48 - May 8th, 2016, 10:47 pm
    Post #48 - May 8th, 2016, 10:47 pm Post #48 - May 8th, 2016, 10:47 pm
    annak,
    About 10 years ago, I treated myself to a Le Crueset 26 qt. round Dutch oven.
    A Canadian department store had an online sale, and I've never regretted ordering this pan. With the lid, it has to weigh 40 lbs...maybe a bit more. I love using it for large batches of chicken stock, which after cooking and straining, I freeze in 5-6 cup plastic containers. I also use it frequently for turkey and dumplings. Did I mention that I love this pan?

It just barely fits into my kitchen sink.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #49 - May 8th, 2016, 11:58 pm
    Post #49 - May 8th, 2016, 11:58 pm Post #49 - May 8th, 2016, 11:58 pm
    I have a 13.5 quart round Le Creuset bought years ago at the Le Creuset outlet in Kenosha, its heavy, huge and barely fits in my home sink. Unwieldy is a good descriptor. Terrific for making large size batches of chili oil, soup, stew though not really practical for most home cooks. It lives in my basement but I'm happy to have it in my kitchenware arsenal.

My 7.25 quart round lives on the stove top, very handy size for soup, stew etc.

Check Le Creuset outlet stores, Kenosha for example, they have sales, discontinued colors, additional discounts for signing up for email blasts and 2nds, typically virtually imperceptible imperfections, which can significant reduce price.

What Size is My Le Creuset Cookware
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #50 - May 9th, 2016, 8:30 am
    Post #50 - May 9th, 2016, 8:30 am Post #50 - May 9th, 2016, 8:30 am
    Ooh, thanks for these observations! I definitely want to keep company with you three! Even if I have to subcontract the hauling up from the garage, a big one sounds worth it.
  • Post #51 - May 9th, 2016, 3:00 pm
    Post #51 - May 9th, 2016, 3:00 pm Post #51 - May 9th, 2016, 3:00 pm
    Corrction....I have the 13.25 qt Dutch oven.
  • Post #52 - May 9th, 2016, 5:36 pm
    Post #52 - May 9th, 2016, 5:36 pm Post #52 - May 9th, 2016, 5:36 pm
    I have the 13.25 (#34) and have only used it a few times in nearly 20 years. Should have bought a giant braising pan or rondeau instead, I guess. It's parked next to an even bigger Sitram 40cm that has seen still less use. I think I once steamed a turkey in it, cuz Jacques Pepin. If I need to change the oil on a Peterbilt, I'm almost ready, so there's that.
  • Post #53 - May 10th, 2016, 8:24 pm
    Post #53 - May 10th, 2016, 8:24 pm Post #53 - May 10th, 2016, 8:24 pm
    Had the c. 7qt Le Creuset for years, then a couple of chips popped off the enamel on the bottom. Words with the factory had no effect. So I went to Walmart and bought a 6.5 qt Tramontina for c. $60. It is in every way comparable to the Le Creuset. I noticed just this moment that they've got the purple-coloured one on sale for $47 on the net.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #54 - May 16th, 2016, 3:48 am
    Post #54 - May 16th, 2016, 3:48 am Post #54 - May 16th, 2016, 3:48 am
    We were in the mood for soup today and didn't want to go out. What I really wanted was the "famous" Nuevo Leon amuse bouche of Caldo de pollo...so we made a pot. We didn't get a picture. Oh well...

I'm a big fan of one pot meals. Photos below are of my Turkey and dumplings, another frequent project for when I have the energy. I start out by poaching about 8-10 turkey wings (disjointed) and 7-8 lbs of rough cut mirepoix in chicken stock if I have any, or water (or a combination of the two). When the wings are tender, I pull the meat, set aside, and the skin/bones go back in the pot for a few hours. Fortified stock gets strained, bones and veg discarded, pot quickly cleaned out and returned to the stove, and brought back up to a boil with new mirepoix. Flat noodle like dumplings are carefully added, followed by the pulled turkey, a pinch of saffron for color and new mirepoix. This gets lowered to a simmer and cooked for about 30 minutes or until the dumplings are tender. Flour clinging to these dumplings thick the broth perfectly for my favorite one pot meal.

• Post #55 - February 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm
    Post #55 - February 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm Post #55 - February 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm
    From an America's Test Kitchen email:
    Dutch ovens are prone to staining, and while we’re not concerned with keeping ours pristine, staining is problematic when the bottom of the pot darkens so much that we can’t monitor browning. The best way to deep-clean a stained pot is to let it soak overnight in a solution of one part bleach and three parts water, and then wash thoroughly with soap and water.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #56 - February 9th, 2020, 2:45 am
    Post #56 - February 9th, 2020, 2:45 am Post #56 - February 9th, 2020, 2:45 am
    Neat tip. I always had the impression that the interior stains were a fact of life, and even though I've routinely bleached coffee and tea stains out of mugs since I was a kid, it never occurred to me to do the same with a Dutch oven. ATK has a video on their Facebook page with a satisfying before-and-after:

https://www.facebook.com/americastestki ... 370085565/
  • Post #57 - February 12th, 2020, 11:57 am
    Post #57 - February 12th, 2020, 11:57 am Post #57 - February 12th, 2020, 11:57 am
    My friend is on a first name basis with one of the staff at the outlet (not sure which one) and gets called when something in their preferred size and color is there. Over the years, if you are patient, you can build up a set at much less than full retail.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more