LTH Home

Random recipe finds and recommendations

Random recipe finds and recommendations
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Random recipe finds and recommendations

Post #1 - January 12th, 2010, 7:13 pm
    Post #1 - January 12th, 2010, 7:13 pm Post #1 - January 12th, 2010, 7:13 pm
    Dinners with just Sparky and I are always difficult; while I'm grateful he's such a hardy dining companion, there's something about cooking for just the two of us that has me scrambling for ideas on the internet more often than not. I thought about posting on the "what are you making for dinner" thread, but then I realized that I'd like a thread of stuff we've culled off the WWW.

For instance, today I realized we had a half-bag of penne that I needed us to eat as it was barely enough for two servings - certainly not enough for when Dad is home. I'm really sick of our standard pasta-tomato-sauce-sausage routine, so I searched "penne." After an endless google search that yielded about a million versions of penne alla vodka, along with a few southern "penne with chicken" recipes, I decided to re-try my search on epicurious, and came up with a wealth of pastas. The second hit caused me to curse: penne with hazelnuts and green beans - I had just seconds before eaten our last handful of hazelnuts! I dispensed with a number of recipes involving cream and prosciutto, found a wealth of interesting recipes using broccolini (which I didn't have) and finally found this:
    Bag-O-Salad Penne!
    Score! It was delicious and beautiful - and Sparky liked it, even better! We didn't even have the correct type of bag-o-salad, but the one I had contained arugula and some red oak lettuce which worked out just fine. IMO, the pine nuts were crucial, but they're a pantry staple for me.

(BTW - for those of you who are single - this would be a really good one to impress a date. <Unless your date is the Marlboro Man.> It looks like magic - you have pasta, salad, nuts, garlic, butter and olive oil, and cheese - and you emerge from the kitchen with a hot, complete, healthy dish instead of a very one-sided cheese tray. Magic!)

In an oblation to the Internet Gods Who Saved Dinner, I offer up this thread as a repository for everyone's googled-in-the-nick-of-time recipes. I look forward to seeing what appears!
  • Post #2 - January 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm
    Post #2 - January 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm Post #2 - January 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm
    I have had the LTH forum index save me many nights.
  • Post #3 - January 12th, 2010, 8:36 pm
    Post #3 - January 12th, 2010, 8:36 pm Post #3 - January 12th, 2010, 8:36 pm
    Great idea for a thread, Michele!

There’s a certain time in the afternoon when my mind drifts from work and towards the eternal question, what am I cooking for dinner? Then I start searching the internet for a recipe.

Last night I too was alone with my son, about twice the age and size of Sparky. I had some leftover roast turkey breast and leftover broiled chicken, a few potatoes, and some leftover gravy, so hash was a no-brainer, especially since my son loves anything with a fried egg. However, I needed something else to make it a meal and thought of cream of tomato soup. Yes, he loves the Campbell’s version, but I wanted to make a better version sans high fructose corn syrup. Here’s the recipe I found, from the reliable Sara Moulton. It calls for true pantry staples—canned tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, carrot, and milk or cream—and was pretty quick to make. The soup was very good, although I found it needed just a touch of sugar to balance at least these particular canned tomatoes and double-strength tomato paste in the tube. The nicest thing was that my son cooked with me (he likes the stick blender—he’s still a boy). The second nicest thing was that I took the leftovers in for lunch today at the office.
  • Post #4 - January 13th, 2010, 7:51 am
    Post #4 - January 13th, 2010, 7:51 am Post #4 - January 13th, 2010, 7:51 am
    :D Motorized appliances. This would be why women 200 years ago couldn't get men into the kitchen - and now we can't get them out! :lol:
  • Post #5 - December 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm
    Post #5 - December 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm Post #5 - December 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm
    Sometimes, often times?, dinner is an internet search away.

Today's ideas surround the unlikely combo of cabbage and garbanzo beans ... Turmeric and Coconut-Braised Cabbage With Chickpeas. I did double the cumin and mustard seeds based on prior cook's comments.

Cleared space from the refrigerator and the pantry, though I never bothered making any rice.

It did not rank in my Dad's wishes for 20 dinners to be repeated often, though this topic will be addressed sometime soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #6 - December 11th, 2021, 4:10 pm
    Post #6 - December 11th, 2021, 4:10 pm Post #6 - December 11th, 2021, 4:10 pm
    In recent weeks, i have been following a different YouTuber, Ray Mack's Kitchen and Grill. This guy has some very good southern recipes and generally uses a lot of very basic ingredients. I came across his videos when looking for a good fried cabbage video. What he does very well is his spicing of food. The man uses a good number of spices in his cooking

Yesterday, I decided to make his Sausage, Cabbage and Potato Skillet. It was one of those recipes that I decided to make to get rid of the all of the scraps in my kitchen. I had a package of Earl Campbell's smoked sausage, half a head of cabbage, and one potato and one sweet potato. Since the recipe called for four potatoes and I only had two, I remembered that I had two cups of dehydrated potato slices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88I51k ... enandGrill

I have reviewed a number of Ray Mack's recpes and they are all generally pretty good and well seasoned.

I will admit that when I have ingredients to use up, YouTube is the place to go.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more