LTH Home

Comparison of Porcini and King Oyster mushrooms?

Comparison of Porcini and King Oyster mushrooms?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - May 2nd, 2021, 11:29 pm
    Post #31 - May 2nd, 2021, 11:29 pm Post #31 - May 2nd, 2021, 11:29 pm
    Borowik(i) (packaging could also say “cepes”).

Spice House sells dried porcini for a lot, thought allegedly they’re of a high grade.
  • Post #32 - May 2nd, 2021, 11:53 pm
    Post #32 - May 2nd, 2021, 11:53 pm Post #32 - May 2nd, 2021, 11:53 pm
    lougord99 wrote:The last 2 times I shopped for dried Porcini, I came up dry. Any suggestions on where to get them ?

The bag I have, which is pretty decent, is from Tenuta's in Kenosha. I know you live north, so maybe that's not too far out of your way, and if you do go, you can certainly stock up on some other items. Needless to say, I'd call them first.

=R=

3203 52nd St
    Kenosha, WI 53144
    (262) 657-9001
    tenutasdeli.com
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - May 3rd, 2021, 7:00 am
    Post #33 - May 3rd, 2021, 7:00 am Post #33 - May 3rd, 2021, 7:00 am
    I've bought cellophane bags of dried Porcini, and 'wild mushrooms' at both Shop 'n' Save and Fresh Farms, and been reasonably pleased. I never use those as my sole flavoring though, so I can't say whether they were as advertised.

The best dried porcinis I ever had I snagged at the deli/bakery across from my hotel in Rome, just before we left for the airport (along with snacks for the plane). Price was low, flavor was high.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #34 - May 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am
    Post #34 - May 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am Post #34 - May 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am
    tjr wrote:Aren't some of the dried mushrooms in Polish grocery stores actually porcini? Anybody know the Polish word for those mushrooms? Google translate tells me it's "porcini".

Colloquially, I've always heard them referred to as prawdziwki (whose name I believe is derived from the Polish prawda, meaning "truth." So the name would mean something like "truthful ones/real ones.") I have several wreaths of them dried and double-bagged in my freezer. Now whether they are exactly the same as Italian porcini, I don't know; mycology is not my strength. Polish Wikipedia tells me it's more formally known as borowik szlachetny, and its taxonomic name is Boletus edulis, which, going back to English Wikipedia says it's known as "cep, penny bunny, porcino, or porcini" in English. At any rate, I've always called them porcini in English.

Edited to add: I just came back from Shop N Save, and the labeling for two brands was borowik szlachetny, with one of the brands also labeling it as porcini.
  • Post #35 - May 3rd, 2021, 11:31 am
    Post #35 - May 3rd, 2021, 11:31 am Post #35 - May 3rd, 2021, 11:31 am
    Hi,

I several packages of porcini mushrooms sitting in my kitchen, though I use them sparingly. I have some in jars from Russia and Poland brought as gifts.

I also have some porcini boullion cubes of Polish and Italian origin. I will use these to give a porcini flavor to dishes. Especially those I might think are good recipes but not porcini-worthy.*

Regards,
    Cathy2

Just ask Elaine from Seinfeld, it is a standard, though complicated to explain. You just know.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #36 - May 5th, 2021, 12:31 pm
    Post #36 - May 5th, 2021, 12:31 pm Post #36 - May 5th, 2021, 12:31 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: I will use these to give a porcini flavor to dishes. Especially those I might think are good recipes but not porcini-worthy.*
    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Just ask Elaine from Seinfeld, it is a standard, though complicated to explain. You just know.

Ha ha ha!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #37 - May 5th, 2021, 1:56 pm
    Post #37 - May 5th, 2021, 1:56 pm Post #37 - May 5th, 2021, 1:56 pm
    I bought porcini powder many years ago from Oregon mushrooms dot com. It was quite good, but I have not reordered, not really sure why. The price is reasonable in larger quantities. I also had some urbani porcini powder, again years ago, that was a bit better but much more expensive.

-Will
  • Post #38 - May 22nd, 2021, 8:17 am
    Post #38 - May 22nd, 2021, 8:17 am Post #38 - May 22nd, 2021, 8:17 am
    In my dried porcini experience, the mushrooms from Italy are more flavorful than the ones imported from Poland. I'm not sure I've had a big enough sample to claim this holds up for every mushroom.

Speaking of mushrooms imported from Poland, I was at the Shop and Save on Devon recently and they had an entire shelf of frozen mushrooms from Poland. A couple of varieties, but most of the labels were in Polish and I am no mycologist.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide