LTH Home

Coffee Maker Help

Coffee Maker Help
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 7th, 2021, 4:04 pm
    Post #31 - April 7th, 2021, 4:04 pm Post #31 - April 7th, 2021, 4:04 pm
    nr706 wrote:We've had a Breville coffee maker for four or five years. It has a built-in burr grinder, and bean storage. Brew strength is adjustable. It wasn't cheap, but it makes up for that by being generous with the number of decibels the grinder generates.

Good to know. :lol:
    -Mary
  • Post #32 - April 7th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Post #32 - April 7th, 2021, 6:52 pm Post #32 - April 7th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    The GP wrote:
    kafein wrote:I highly recommend the Zojirushi. This company is known for their rice makers and water kettles. The coffee gets brewed at a much higher temp.

The timer works like a charm and the basket holds plenty of grounds (I have had a Grind N Brew - I feel it's enough for 8 cups)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CAQ8gIwAA#

I also reviewed it here, note - I still have the same one. Well over a year and still kicking. And we make alot of coffee.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21892

This also caught my eye. Curious if anyone else has a Zojirushi coffee maker.

I had this zojirushi and it brewed well and kept coffee hot. However one out of every ten pots or so wouldn't drip into the carafe properly leading to some spillage.

May have been human error but happened enough that I just got rid of it. Now I've got a Braun brewsense and it works great. No metal carafe but in the days of working remote, that hasn't been an issue for me.
  • Post #33 - April 7th, 2021, 7:01 pm
    Post #33 - April 7th, 2021, 7:01 pm Post #33 - April 7th, 2021, 7:01 pm
    We've been quite happy with our Oxo 9-cup. Simple yet thoughtful design, reliable, good cup of coffee made at the right temperature. We like having the thermal carafe, but it doesn't stay hot for hours. We also have the Baratza Encore grinder and find it works well.
  • Post #34 - April 12th, 2021, 6:31 pm
    Post #34 - April 12th, 2021, 6:31 pm Post #34 - April 12th, 2021, 6:31 pm
    EvA wrote:We've been quite happy with our Oxo 9-cup. Simple yet thoughtful design, reliable, good cup of coffee made at the right temperature. We like having the thermal carafe, but it doesn't stay hot for hours. We also have the Baratza Encore grinder and find it works well.

A friend has a Zojirushi thermos that keeps coffee impressively hot. It possible to make coffee the night before and in the morning find the coffee impossibly hot to drink.

I know you were not looking for any recommendations, though it gave me an opportunity to suggest!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #35 - April 19th, 2021, 12:13 pm
    Post #35 - April 19th, 2021, 12:13 pm Post #35 - April 19th, 2021, 12:13 pm
    A Baratza Encore grinder and Technivorm Moccamaster are in the house after today's mail delivery. These burned up an Amazon gift card I received around the holidays. Updates to follow once I figure out how to use them.
    -Mary
  • Post #36 - April 19th, 2021, 1:21 pm
    Post #36 - April 19th, 2021, 1:21 pm Post #36 - April 19th, 2021, 1:21 pm
    The GP wrote:A Baratza Encore grinder and Technivorm Moccamaster are in the house after today's mail delivery. These burned up an Amazon gift card I received around the holidays. Updates to follow once I figure out how to use them.

Yay! Hope you’re as happy with them as I am.

While we’re at it, Methodical (https://methodicalcoffee.com/ has been my go-to roastery for the last year. Their descriptions are very accurate and since I dislike coffees with a pronounced fruit or floral profile and prefer those with nutty/chocolate flavors, this has been helpful. They also sell a really great decaf—not easy to find. Highly recommend them if you’re looking for some special beans to go with your new set up!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #37 - April 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Post #37 - April 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm Post #37 - April 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Yay! Hope you’re as happy with them as I am.

While we’re at it, Methodical (https://methodicalcoffee.com/ has been my go-to roastery for the last year. Their descriptions are very accurate and since I dislike coffees with a pronounced fruit or floral profile and prefer those with nutty/chocolate flavors, this has been helpful. They also sell a really great decaf—not easy to find. Highly recommend them if you’re looking for some special beans to go with your new set up!

Thanks for the roastery rec. We are big fans of the Borealis blend from Keweenaw Coffee Works. We were gifted some bags of beans and have enjoyed Groundswell and Counter Culture, among others. (Unfortunately I don't recall which roasts.)

https://www.keweenawcoffeeworks.com/
    -Mary
  • Post #38 - April 19th, 2021, 6:43 pm
    Post #38 - April 19th, 2021, 6:43 pm Post #38 - April 19th, 2021, 6:43 pm
    nr706 wrote:We've had a Breville coffee maker for four or five years. It has a built-in burr grinder, and bean storage. Brew strength is adjustable. It wasn't cheap, but it makes up for that by being generous with the number of decibels the grinder generates.
    (Should have added — it makes damn good coffee.)

We had the Breville Burr Grinder for several years. It's pricey but glorious. Went with a well researched, way less expensive other type of burr grinder(Baratza Encore) and have massive regrets.

I generally do small amounts so keep an Aeropress. I still roast beans. I have borrowed whatever someone would lend when I needed pots of coffee. The coffee was great, and I have even managed that in a borrowed Mr. Coffee.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #39 - April 20th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    Post #39 - April 20th, 2021, 8:25 pm Post #39 - April 20th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    I can highly recommend the new 8-cup model Oxo machine. It's been the star of this household's work-from-home scene since we purchased it back in November. It produces consistently great coffee day after day, both in 2-4 cup mode (Kalita 185 wave filters) and 4-8 cup mode (standard 8-cup flat bottom filters). It's simple, no clock/timer or grinder. There's 4 buttons: power, 2-4 cup brew, 5-8 cup brew and clean cycle. The design is clean, looks great on the counter. The water container is easy to fill and read. Filter basket pop-out with drip-stop engaged so you can walk the grounds over to the compost bin without dripping. The machine beeps once when the brew cycle ends and shuts off automatically (no warming plate). The thermal carafe does a decent job of keeping coffee warm. Though truth be told, we usually just fill a couple of large Stanley travel mugs first thing in the morning to keep our coffee hot for hours. Only (very minor) complaint: why bother with the power button as there's no warming plate? Seems like they could have designed it for 1-touch brewing.
  • Post #40 - April 21st, 2021, 6:46 am
    Post #40 - April 21st, 2021, 6:46 am Post #40 - April 21st, 2021, 6:46 am
    RobS wrote:I can highly recommend the new 8-cup model Oxo machine. It's been the star of this household's work-from-home scene since we purchased it back in November. It produces consistently great coffee day after day, both in 2-4 cup mode (Kalita 185 wave filters) and 4-8 cup mode (standard 8-cup flat bottom filters). It's simple, no clock/timer or grinder. There's 4 buttons: power, 2-4 cup brew, 5-8 cup brew and clean cycle. The design is clean, looks great on the counter. The water container is easy to fill and read. Filter basket pop-out with drip-stop engaged so you can walk the grounds over to the compost bin without dripping. The machine beeps once when the brew cycle ends and shuts off automatically (no warming plate). The thermal carafe does a decent job of keeping coffee warm. Though truth be told, we usually just fill a couple of large Stanley travel mugs first thing in the morning to keep our coffee hot for hours. Only (very minor) complaint: why bother with the power button as there's no warming plate? Seems like they could have designed it for 1-touch brewing.

Thanks for the review! Since we are spoiled with a timer on our coffee maker and love to wake up and pour a cup, how long is the cycle to run a 8 cup batch?
  • Post #41 - April 21st, 2021, 8:28 am
    Post #41 - April 21st, 2021, 8:28 am Post #41 - April 21st, 2021, 8:28 am
    HonestMan wrote:Thanks for the review! Since we are spoiled with a timer on our coffee maker and love to wake up and pour a cup, how long is the cycle to run a 8 cup batch?

It takes 6 minutes to brew 8 cups, about 3.5 minutes to brew 2 cups. We don't miss the timer at all.
  • Post #42 - April 21st, 2021, 8:32 am
    Post #42 - April 21st, 2021, 8:32 am Post #42 - April 21st, 2021, 8:32 am
    Our current favorite:

https://www.sputnikcoffeecompany.com/?g ... AQAvD_BwE#

Fresh Farms carries it as does Une Annee.
  • Post #43 - April 21st, 2021, 8:46 am
    Post #43 - April 21st, 2021, 8:46 am Post #43 - April 21st, 2021, 8:46 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Our current favorite:

Second this! Valli in Evanston carries it as well. Local too--Back of the Yards.
  • Post #44 - April 22nd, 2021, 10:24 am
    Post #44 - April 22nd, 2021, 10:24 am Post #44 - April 22nd, 2021, 10:24 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Our current favorite:

My first experience with Sputnik beans was from Fresh Farms. We weren't impressed. Might have to try them again with two hearty recommendations here.
    -Mary
  • Post #45 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:17 am
    Post #45 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:17 am Post #45 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:17 am
    I wanted to report back after using our new coffee maker and grinder for a few months. I'm happy with both. The Baratza Encore grinder does the job we need it to do. It's loud and a little messy but I'm much happier with it than I was with the Capresso. I love the Technivorm Moccamaster. It makes a wonderful pot of coffee and is fun to watch. I made the mistake one morning of forgetting to put the pot under the basket. :shock: Nothing like watching coffee slowly come out the top of the filter basket. I blame the lack of caffeine. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #46 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:25 am
    Post #46 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:25 am Post #46 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:25 am
    I grew to love the Senseo coffee maker with the paper pods. They discontinued them but I continue to buy them on ebay. I buy all the pods on Amazon and have them delivered to the house. I don't have time for grinding my own coffee and I don't like making pots of coffee either. If you are going to get a pot, I would go with thermal carafe type. I don't like the usual pod type coffee maker because of the plastic pods. I hear good things about the Nespresso. With the Senseo I can have a fresh small cup of coffee any time in seconds. No real clean up very easy and I think the coffee is reasonably good.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #47 - June 22nd, 2021, 3:19 pm
    Post #47 - June 22nd, 2021, 3:19 pm Post #47 - June 22nd, 2021, 3:19 pm
    The GP wrote:I wanted to report back after using our new coffee maker and grinder for a few months. I'm happy with both. The Baratza Encore grinder does the job we need it to do. It's loud and a little messy but I'm much happier with it than I was with the Capresso. I love the Technivorm Moccamaster. It makes a wonderful pot of coffee and is fun to watch. I made the mistake one morning of forgetting to put the pot under the basket. :shock: Nothing like watching coffee slowly come out the top of the filter basket. I blame the lack of caffeine. ;-)

First time I used mine, I didn’t realize that the filter basket wasn’t in the slot and watched coffee drop not so slowly off the back of the pot :)!!!

Glad you like it—I’ve been completely happy with mine.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #48 - December 2nd, 2023, 1:41 pm
    Post #48 - December 2nd, 2023, 1:41 pm Post #48 - December 2nd, 2023, 1:41 pm
    So I've had my Bonavita drip coffeemaker for many years now. I should be clear upfront: I think it's terrific. But it is aging and I'm pondering replacing it. My research has disclosed all kinds of interesting new (and older) stuff. My question relates to two very specific models which intrigue me: the Ratio Six and--to a lesser extent--the Cafe Specialty. I may well end up replacing the Bonavita with a newer Bonavita. (I already have decided that I will not get a Technivorm, fwiw.) But I want to see if anyone out there has actual, hands-on experience of these two other coffeemakers before I make my final decision. Thanks in advance!
    (To the extent it makes any difference, I have long had my Capresso Infinity grinder though I grow less enchanted with it as it ages. I am likely to replace that as well; I am in the final stages of deciding whether to replace it with a Baratza Virtuoso Plus or a Wilfa Uniform grinder. I have spent a lot of time researching and there are lots of plusses to both, it seems.)
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #49 - December 2nd, 2023, 4:20 pm
    Post #49 - December 2nd, 2023, 4:20 pm Post #49 - December 2nd, 2023, 4:20 pm
    What’s wrong with a Technivorm? I’ve had one for ten plus years and use and like it every day.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #50 - December 2nd, 2023, 5:35 pm
    Post #50 - December 2nd, 2023, 5:35 pm Post #50 - December 2nd, 2023, 5:35 pm
    G Wiv wrote:What’s wrong with a Technivorm? I’ve had one for ten plus years and use and like it every day.

4 years and ditto—easy to use & clean and makes absolutely perfect cups.
  • Post #51 - December 3rd, 2023, 6:08 am
    Post #51 - December 3rd, 2023, 6:08 am Post #51 - December 3rd, 2023, 6:08 am
    Glad you both like your Technivorms. They're not for me. Some of my reasons are subjective, some objective. The decisive factor for me is the lack of a pre-infusion function. My Bonavita offers the ability to either engage or disengage that function and periodically I make my coffee without engaging the function. I find that I can tell the difference in the brewed coffee and having that function is important to me.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #52 - December 3rd, 2023, 10:46 am
    Post #52 - December 3rd, 2023, 10:46 am Post #52 - December 3rd, 2023, 10:46 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Glad you both like your Technivorms. They're not for me. Some of my reasons are subjective, some objective. The decisive factor for me is the lack of a pre-infusion function. My Bonavita

I imagine the Bonavita is a good machine but, if you are counting out the Technivorm Moccamaster for lack of pre-infusion, that's not quite accurate. That is if I have the term correct.

Technivorm Moccamaster can pre-infuse at the start of the cycle simply by pulling the carafe out a little to disengage the drip function. Wait 20-seconds and slide back in.

To be honest, I thought the Technivorm had a 'blooming' cycle but it seems I was mistaken. Or maybe not, its kind of confusing frankly. All I know is I like the coffee from the Technivorm and it still works great after ten plus years.

Good luck with your quest.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #53 - December 3rd, 2023, 12:03 pm
    Post #53 - December 3rd, 2023, 12:03 pm Post #53 - December 3rd, 2023, 12:03 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Glad you both like your Technivorms. They're not for me. Some of my reasons are subjective, some objective. The decisive factor for me is the lack of a pre-infusion function. My Bonavita

I imagine the Bonavita is a good machine but, if you are counting out the Technivorm Moccamaster for lack of pre-infusion, that's not quite accurate. That is if I have the term correct.

Technivorm Moccamaster can pre-infuse at the start of the cycle simply by pulling the carafe out a little to disengage the drip function. Wait 20-seconds and slide back in.

Yes, this is what I do.
  • Post #54 - December 3rd, 2023, 12:31 pm
    Post #54 - December 3rd, 2023, 12:31 pm Post #54 - December 3rd, 2023, 12:31 pm
    Understood. I have two problems with that: one, I like to push the button and forget the coffee until it's finished, so I can go about doing other stuff. two, at my advanced age, I find I am increasingly forgetful and I have little doubt that that forgetfulness would extend to pulling the carafe out. I'm better off all the way around by having that part of the process automated.

In any event, that's only one of several things that lead me in other directions. I don't question the quality of (or the quality of the coffee from) Technivorm. It's just not for me.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #55 - December 3rd, 2023, 3:18 pm
    Post #55 - December 3rd, 2023, 3:18 pm Post #55 - December 3rd, 2023, 3:18 pm
    We decided to retire our Bunn VP 17 at the beginning of this year, not for any other reason than we were tired of looking at it... Compared the Technivorm and Bonavita drip machines, as well as the Oxo Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker. We chose to buy the Oxo based on reviews, form factor and cost. We are "set it and forget it" folks and we have been totally impressed by its performance.
    Here is a reasonably thorough review - did not want to include the current Amazon link, however it can be easily found and it is currently on sale for $135.
    https://www.cnet.com/reviews/oxo-8-cup- ... er-review/
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more