LTH Home

Coffee Maker Help

Coffee Maker Help
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Coffee Maker Help

Post #1 - January 30th, 2010, 9:38 am
    Post #1 - January 30th, 2010, 9:38 am Post #1 - January 30th, 2010, 9:38 am
    Well, it looks like my trusty Braun coffee maker is on its last legs. It's served me well for many years. We've agreed that it's time to move on.

I'm looking for a smallish moderately priced machine that has a built-in grinder. My biggest peeve is that it keeps the pot hot after brewing.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dave148 on January 30th, 2010, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - January 30th, 2010, 11:09 am
    Post #2 - January 30th, 2010, 11:09 am Post #2 - January 30th, 2010, 11:09 am
    I don't have specific recommendations, but there are a bunch that brew into thermos-like pots that are better at keeping the coffee hot than a burner that will alter the taste as the coffee continues to "cook". You might limit your search to these sort of models.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #3 - January 30th, 2010, 11:26 am
    Post #3 - January 30th, 2010, 11:26 am Post #3 - January 30th, 2010, 11:26 am
    Be aware: some high-end coffeemakers have a vacuum thermos that is stainless steel on the outside, but glass on the inside. Cuisinart is the biggest offender.

I don't have a grinder with my coffeemaker, but one of my criterion was a fully stainless-steel vacuum thermos. Doesn't break, doesn't overheat.
  • Post #4 - January 30th, 2010, 11:30 am
    Post #4 - January 30th, 2010, 11:30 am Post #4 - January 30th, 2010, 11:30 am
    Thanks for the tips.
  • Post #5 - January 30th, 2010, 1:39 pm
    Post #5 - January 30th, 2010, 1:39 pm Post #5 - January 30th, 2010, 1:39 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Well, it looks like my trusty Braun coffee maker is on its last legs. It's served me well for many years. We've agreed that it's time to move on.

I'm looking for a smallish moderately priced machine that has a built-in grinder. My biggest peeve is that it keeps the pot hot after brewing.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

If you have the room I would go online to EBay and look for a Bunn Pour-over commercial unit, (I was able to get my 3 element unit with 2 glass carafes and one stainless carafe for under $125.} Sams club has air-pots for around $20 that will keep your coffee warm and a grinder will cost between $10-$20. Green coffee cherries run about $5-$6lb and you can roast your own in an old-fashioned stove-top popcorn popper ($10-$20 on Ebay).

Equipment investment - $185
    25lb. Green Costa-Rica coffee cherries - $112
    6 months worth of home-roasted to-order gourmet coffee, (not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself) - Priceless! :mrgreen:
    You can't prepare for a disaster when you are in the midst of it.

A sensible man watches for problems ahead and prepares to meet them. The simpleton never looks, and suffers the consequences.
    Proverbs 27:12
  • Post #6 - January 30th, 2010, 1:54 pm
    Post #6 - January 30th, 2010, 1:54 pm Post #6 - January 30th, 2010, 1:54 pm
    tortminder wrote:If you have the room I would go online to EBay and look for a Bunn Pour-over commercial unit, (I was able to get my 3 element unit with 2 glass carafes and one stainless carafe for under $125.} Sams club has air-pots for around $20 that will keep your coffee warm and a grinder will cost between $10-$20. Green coffee cherries run about $5-$6lb and you can roast your own in an old-fashioned stove-top popcorn popper ($10-$20 on Ebay).

Equipment investment - $185
    25lb. Green Costa-Rica coffee cherries - $112
    6 months worth of home-roasted to-order gourmet coffee, (not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself) - Priceless! :mrgreen:

A tad too big. But thanks anyway.
  • Post #7 - January 30th, 2010, 7:49 pm
    Post #7 - January 30th, 2010, 7:49 pm Post #7 - January 30th, 2010, 7:49 pm
    I fear you have opened a huge can of worms here. Everyone will have opposing opinions. I am very happy with the Cuisinart grind and brew. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=14725660 just google to find all different prices. I have given up glass carafes. I swish some hot water in the thermal and then brew my coffee. The only con is the noise of the grinder. I use all of the other features. I had the old Cuisinart grind and brew and the engineering was horrible as the beans got all moist, but this new is great.
  • Post #8 - January 30th, 2010, 8:43 pm
    Post #8 - January 30th, 2010, 8:43 pm Post #8 - January 30th, 2010, 8:43 pm
    Thanks for the suggestion. :)
  • Post #9 - January 31st, 2010, 4:59 pm
    Post #9 - January 31st, 2010, 4:59 pm Post #9 - January 31st, 2010, 4:59 pm
    I highly recommend the Zojirushi. This company is known for their rice makers and water kettles. The coffee gets brewed at a much higher temp.

The timer works like a charm and the basket holds plenty of grounds (I have had a Grind N Brew - I feel it's enough for 8 cups)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CAQ8gIwAA#

I also reviewed it here, note - I still have the same one. Well over a year and still kicking. And we make alot of coffee.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21892
  • Post #10 - January 31st, 2010, 5:12 pm
    Post #10 - January 31st, 2010, 5:12 pm Post #10 - January 31st, 2010, 5:12 pm
    One coffee maker you may want to check out is the Capresso Coffee Team TS. It has a good quality burr grinder and a thermos.

Here is a somewhat old review from a good website: http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/fi ... eteamtherm

I don't have this unit, but I have a Capresso burr grinder that I like very much. I believe it is the same grinder integrated into the above coffee maker. Capresso coffee makers generally get very good marks.

By the way, two good websites for prices, reviews, etc are coffeegeek.com (reviews only) and wholelattelove.com (a retailer that has good info on their website).

I definitely recommend that you get a unit in which you brew into a thermos. Is there a reason you want a built-in grinder, rather than just buying a separate grinder?
  • Post #11 - January 31st, 2010, 8:15 pm
    Post #11 - January 31st, 2010, 8:15 pm Post #11 - January 31st, 2010, 8:15 pm
    Thanks guys! I'll check out the links. This is almost as painful as car shopping! :)
  • Post #12 - February 1st, 2010, 9:14 am
    Post #12 - February 1st, 2010, 9:14 am Post #12 - February 1st, 2010, 9:14 am
    Dave I agree. It took me months to make my decision, but it came down to a couple of things; price, if the grinder would be close to the water source or steam, thermal container, and counter space, I have a condo. All have pros and cons, I decided to live with the grinding noise for 20 sec.
  • Post #13 - February 1st, 2010, 11:00 am
    Post #13 - February 1st, 2010, 11:00 am Post #13 - February 1st, 2010, 11:00 am
    I hear ya. I'm going to kick a few tires at Bed Bath & Beyond to see them in person.
  • Post #14 - November 17th, 2011, 3:55 pm
    Post #14 - November 17th, 2011, 3:55 pm Post #14 - November 17th, 2011, 3:55 pm
    Hi- I was just in Big Lots today on Dempster and Harlem, and I noticed that they have a big Cuisinart sale on right now. These are all reconditioned machines, and the price ranges from $19 for a waffle maker to $99 for one of the coffee makers, and an espresso maker. The $99 coffee maker has a vacuum sealed pot. They also have a 4 cup mini prep food processor for $25, and an immersion blender, as well as several other types of coffee makers. They might have a large food processor too. You can see the display, as you walk in the store. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #15 - November 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm
    Post #15 - November 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm Post #15 - November 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I was just in Big Lots today on Dempster and Harlem, and I noticed that they have a big Cuisinart sale on right now. These are all reconditioned machines, and the price ranges from $19 for a waffle maker to $99 for one of the coffee makers, and an espresso maker. The $99 coffee maker has a vacuum sealed pot. They also have a 4 cup mini prep food processor for $25, and an immersion blender, as well as several other types of coffee makers. They might have a large food processor too. You can see the display, as you walk in the store. Hope this helps, Nancy

Nancy-did they have a nice inventory? I was thinking about getting my son a food processor for Christmas and this sounds perfect for him. I could go in a few minutes and check them out but don't want to drive all that way if their inventory was small
  • Post #16 - November 17th, 2011, 4:25 pm
    Post #16 - November 17th, 2011, 4:25 pm Post #16 - November 17th, 2011, 4:25 pm
    Hi- Yes they have a large supply of Cuisinart at Big Lots. They have a large sign up in the window, and you can't miss the display. It is right inside the entrance to the store. Even though they are reconditioned, I believe the machines still carry a warranty. I know they had some 12 cup coffee makers for $40 too. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #17 - November 17th, 2011, 5:51 pm
    Post #17 - November 17th, 2011, 5:51 pm Post #17 - November 17th, 2011, 5:51 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- Yes they have a large supply of Cuisinart at Big Lots. They have a large sign up in the window, and you can't miss the display. It is right inside the entrance to the store. Even though they are reconditioned, I believe the machines still carry a warranty. I know they had some 12 cup coffee makers for $40 too. Hope this helps, Nancy

Thanks! I did run over there and pick up a 4 cup food processor for 25 - which is the perfect size for him. He's looking to start making pizza dough. They had 2 sizes of coffee makers-the 10 cup and the 12 cup with the grinder.
  • Post #18 - November 17th, 2011, 6:04 pm
    Post #18 - November 17th, 2011, 6:04 pm Post #18 - November 17th, 2011, 6:04 pm
    Hi Diane- I am glad that you were able to get one. I have an Oskar food processor that I inherited from my mother, and it does an adequate job, but I am sure that the Cuisinart mini preps would do a better job. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #19 - April 6th, 2021, 1:40 pm
    Post #19 - April 6th, 2021, 1:40 pm Post #19 - April 6th, 2021, 1:40 pm
    I've gone down the rabbit hole in research. I've read all the relevant threads on LTH that I could find plus a few of the frequently mentioned sites (wholelattelove, coffeegeek, etc.). We are simple folk and just want good coffee from our freshly ground beans. What's your current recommended drip coffee maker for 10-12 cups?

If you want to include your burr grinder rec too, that would be welcome. We're back to our Cuisinart blade grinder after too many lousy experiences with our Capresso burr grinder.
    -Mary
  • Post #20 - April 6th, 2021, 3:21 pm
    Post #20 - April 6th, 2021, 3:21 pm Post #20 - April 6th, 2021, 3:21 pm
    Cook's Illustrated recommends Capresso Infinity, and they had it on sale yesterday, but it sounds like that you are not happy with yours.
  • Post #21 - April 6th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Post #21 - April 6th, 2021, 3:29 pm Post #21 - April 6th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    I love my technivorm, praised heavily in this thread. Though expensive, it will last a very, very long time. It is among the few coffee makers that heats the water to the proper temperature (which you probably already know all about from your research on those sites).

I'd buy a model with a thermal carafe, not a glass carafe with a heating element. The thermal carafe keeps coffee hot for hours. A glass carafe lets air circulate and the coffee ends up tasting a bit stale (but hot!).

I can't really help with the grinder (other than to support your decision to get a burr grinder). I use a Rancilio Rocky, which is amazing and designed for grinding for espresso. It's overkill over brewed coffee. I also have the Capresso Infinity and was very happy with it. The other lower-priced burr grinder that gets great reviews is the Baratza Encore.
  • Post #22 - April 6th, 2021, 3:55 pm
    Post #22 - April 6th, 2021, 3:55 pm Post #22 - April 6th, 2021, 3:55 pm
    NFriday wrote:Cook's Illustrated recommends Capresso Infinity, and they had it on sale yesterday, but it sounds like that you are not happy with yours.

We got ours a few years ago. I'm not sure if it had a name. I suspect the Infinity is an improved model.
    Darren72 wrote:I love my technivorm...

That is one of the contenders.
    -Mary
  • Post #23 - April 6th, 2021, 8:26 pm
    Post #23 - April 6th, 2021, 8:26 pm Post #23 - April 6th, 2021, 8:26 pm
    I love my technivorm —it may be the kitchen appliance I’d be least likely to part with if forced to choose one.

I also loved my Chemex and you can’t beat it for the money, but the pouring was hurting my wrist (getting old suxxxx) and the consistency and perfect balance in every cup makes the Technivorm worth every penny.

Right behind it would be my Baratza grinder, which is a 7 years old beast and flawless (after going thru 2 Capressos in 4 years).

Come out to Valpo and visit and I’d be happy to demo them for you :)!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #24 - April 6th, 2021, 9:42 pm
    Post #24 - April 6th, 2021, 9:42 pm Post #24 - April 6th, 2021, 9:42 pm
    For several years I've used a Kitchenaid Coffee Siphon vacuum brewer. The vacuum brewing method ensures that the brewing water is plenty hot. I find it quite economical on coffee - a small amount of ground coffee makes a lot of cups. And after a few thousand pots, I still find the sight and sound kind of entertaining.

Another interesting machine is this Delonghi: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/delonghi-8 ... Id=6350923 It appears to boil the water then dump it into the filter in a pour over way, rather than using a pump with its disadvantages.

And Krups used to make a giant moka pot: https://www.krupsusa.com/accessories-st ... 8000035468 but I think it's been discontinued for a while.
  • Post #25 - April 7th, 2021, 4:50 am
    Post #25 - April 7th, 2021, 4:50 am Post #25 - April 7th, 2021, 4:50 am
    Having spent way too much time down that particular rabbit hole, I can only say that I ended up buying a Bonavita maker--which I have had several years and am totally happy with. (I do not recall the max capacity since I usually make a bit less.) I read a ton of stuff and it came down to either the Bonavita or the Technivorm. I decided I'd go with the Bonavita for a number of reasons but could have gone the other way without much trouble.
    Having relied on my Capresso Infinity for more years than I want to think about, I'm thinking it's time to either replace it with another or look into what I should replace it with. The gear setting has gotten irretrievably loose-ish at the settings I most commonly use and though it still works fine, its adjustability has been compromised for some time. Still, considering the years of service I've gotten from it, I have zero complaints. I suspect, in fact, I'll probably just get another one.
    Let us know what you decide...and good luck!
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #26 - April 7th, 2021, 8:08 am
    Post #26 - April 7th, 2021, 8:08 am Post #26 - April 7th, 2021, 8:08 am
    Lots of people love their Technivorm but, try as I might, I couldn't get a decent cup of coffee from mine so I returned it. For $300, a coffeemaker should make great coffee, easily. I mainly make pour over these days, so I don't have a good recommendation for a drip coffeemaker.

I can recommend the Oxo burr grinder, which has served me well for the past several years. It's a great grinder for any brewing method other than espresso -- easy to adjust and consistent grind. It also looks nice on the counter, isn't *too* loud and costs $99, which isn't cheap but is far less than high-end grinders.
  • Post #27 - April 7th, 2021, 8:25 am
    Post #27 - April 7th, 2021, 8:25 am Post #27 - April 7th, 2021, 8:25 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote: I'm thinking it's time to either replace it with another or look into what I should replace it with. The gear setting has gotten irretrievably loose-ish at the settings I most commonly use and though it still works fine, its adjustability has been compromised for some time.

If you do get a new grinder, would you please consider donating the old one to me? I had 2 thoughts: First, I use a fairly coarse grind for the vacuum pot which might be different from your settings; second, I'm pretty good at kludging together fixes for household stuff. Thanks in advance!
  • Post #28 - April 7th, 2021, 8:54 am
    Post #28 - April 7th, 2021, 8:54 am Post #28 - April 7th, 2021, 8:54 am
    Some years ago I used a Technivorm KBT for a few weeks and thought it's pretty nice. I usually make small amounts of coffee at a time so never considered buying a similar device for myself.

At the same time I also used a Capresso Infinity grinder and liked it well enough. One thing I didn't like was the lack of a pulse button. I found the timer dial annoying to use for small batches.

I now have a Baratza and can hardly imagine buying another brand (I came close to getting an OXO). The grinder itself is great, but a huge selling point is the company's product support and customer service. The machine I have (a precursor to the Encore) was made from 2004-09 and they still sell parts for it (not that I've needed any). I'm so impressed with Baratza's 'Don't Dump It, Fix It' philosophy. In addition to a large catalog of reasonably-priced parts, they maintain an extensive library of troubleshooting and repair guides, and a related YouTube channel. They also do repairs and sell refurbished grinders. It's really a shame this sort of product support is so rare, particularly for small appliances.
  • Post #29 - April 7th, 2021, 1:39 pm
    Post #29 - April 7th, 2021, 1:39 pm Post #29 - April 7th, 2021, 1:39 pm
    kafein wrote:I highly recommend the Zojirushi. This company is known for their rice makers and water kettles. The coffee gets brewed at a much higher temp.

The timer works like a charm and the basket holds plenty of grounds (I have had a Grind N Brew - I feel it's enough for 8 cups)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CAQ8gIwAA#

I also reviewed it here, note - I still have the same one. Well over a year and still kicking. And we make alot of coffee.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21892

This also caught my eye. Curious if anyone else has a Zojirushi coffee maker.
    -Mary
  • Post #30 - April 7th, 2021, 4:02 pm
    Post #30 - April 7th, 2021, 4:02 pm Post #30 - April 7th, 2021, 4:02 pm
    We've had a Breville coffee maker for four or five years. It has a built-in burr grinder, and bean storage. Brew strength is adjustable. It wasn't cheap, but it makes up for that by being generous with the number of decibels the grinder generates.
    (Should have added — it makes damn good coffee.)
    Last edited by nr706 on April 7th, 2021, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more