LTH Home

Pimento Cheese

Pimento Cheese
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - July 31st, 2019, 12:10 pm
    Post #31 - July 31st, 2019, 12:10 pm Post #31 - July 31st, 2019, 12:10 pm
    the dill pickle food coop (i'm a member/owner) carries zingerman's pimiento cheese, as well as tubs of their fresh goat cheese and liptauer cheese. each is $7.49 for 6 ounces.

(their parking lot is well hidden under the building, through the alley off spaulding)
    Dill Pickle Food Co-op | 2746 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60647 |
    (773)252-COOP | community@dillpickle.coop
  • Post #32 - May 3rd, 2021, 3:58 pm
    Post #32 - May 3rd, 2021, 3:58 pm Post #32 - May 3rd, 2021, 3:58 pm
    Do not under any circumstances get the version sold by Aldi. I was hungry when I stopped in for milk the other day and a container of their pimento cheese ended up in my bag. Thin texture, overly sweet, simply gross. Consider yourselves warned.
    -Mary
  • Post #33 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:38 pm
    Post #33 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:38 pm Post #33 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:38 pm
    The GP wrote:Do not under any circumstances get the version sold by Aldi. I was hungry when I stopped in for milk the other day and a container of their pimento cheese ended up in my bag. Thin texture, overly sweet, simply gross. Consider yourselves warned.

Thank you for taking one for the team.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #34 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm
    Post #34 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm Post #34 - May 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm
    The GP wrote:Do not under any circumstances get the version sold by Aldi.

Not surprised. I've had poor experiences with many Aldi brand cultured dairy products including yogurt (runny, sour), sour cream (ditto), cottage cheese (watery) and cream cheese (separated and whey-sodden.) Many Aldi brand foods range from good to excellent, but not that category.
  • Post #35 - May 6th, 2021, 10:28 am
    Post #35 - May 6th, 2021, 10:28 am Post #35 - May 6th, 2021, 10:28 am
    Standard Market (Westmont) sells pimento cheese by Zingermans.
  • Post #36 - May 6th, 2021, 1:44 pm
    Post #36 - May 6th, 2021, 1:44 pm Post #36 - May 6th, 2021, 1:44 pm
    I'd also vouch for the versions at both All Together Now and Beautiful Rind.
  • Post #37 - May 11th, 2021, 8:29 am
    Post #37 - May 11th, 2021, 8:29 am Post #37 - May 11th, 2021, 8:29 am
    The bacon and pimento cheese at Beautiful Rind is an excellent sandwich.
  • Post #38 - May 11th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    Post #38 - May 11th, 2021, 10:01 pm Post #38 - May 11th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    The Calabrian cheese spread from Eataly is my current favorite, love the heat from the chiles. Will look forward to trying Beautiful Rind's version. We had a delightful cheese & charcuterie board delivered from B.R. a few months ago, and are excited to visit in person
  • Post #39 - May 12th, 2021, 6:57 am
    Post #39 - May 12th, 2021, 6:57 am Post #39 - May 12th, 2021, 6:57 am
    SueF has been experimenting with pimento cheese and a couple key ingredients that make for the best are a dash of worcestershire sauce, and a little minced olive. Too much olive overpowers easily, but both those kick up the salt and umami.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #40 - May 12th, 2021, 11:46 am
    Post #40 - May 12th, 2021, 11:46 am Post #40 - May 12th, 2021, 11:46 am
    Une Annee has s pretty good homemade version. We generally add it to our smoked meat to-go order.
  • Post #41 - February 5th, 2023, 4:43 pm
    Post #41 - February 5th, 2023, 4:43 pm Post #41 - February 5th, 2023, 4:43 pm
    Jonesing for Pimento Cheese for months. About $6 for 5oz “Price’s” at Da Jewel. Chef of The Everglades Club, on Worth Ave, Palm Beach used “Palmetto.” This one is mighty tasty, with Eric M’s not so secret tweak and freshly made mayo. Stiffened up nicely in the fridge overnight
    https://www.southernliving.com/food/dai ... nto-cheese
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #42 - February 6th, 2023, 8:52 am
    Post #42 - February 6th, 2023, 8:52 am Post #42 - February 6th, 2023, 8:52 am
    Here is a way to make Pimento Cheese at home that just might allay your concerns about commercial brands. It is easy to make – just mix everything in one bowl – and it tickles whatever fancy you wish to indulge at the time.
    As written, it is spicy, savory and addictive. You might be surprised to find yourself using it in ways you would not have considered (in summer, it makes a great Cheese & Tomato sandwich) and it melts nicely.
    This is a Zombie Recipe that never dies – it just gets made differently depending on your mood at the time. If you become stricken with the need to ADD-IN some ingredient that tickles your fancy, then do it. Hence the growing list at the end.
    SPICY PIMENTO CHEESE
    • 1 pound grated Cheddar
    • ½ pound grated Provolone
    • 1 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, diced and with juice (the juice adds flavor and cuts down on the mayonnaise)
    • 1 t granulated garlic
    • 1 t granulated onion (or, onion powder)
    • About 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • ¼ t cayenne
    • 5 roasted Hatch green chiles, diced (or as much of whatever fresh hot peppers you wish)
    • 1/3 C mayonnaise (just enough to mix properly)
    Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    ADD-INS:
    Smoked paprika – celery seed – smoked gouda – pickled jajapenos – piquillo peppers – peppadews – sriracha – chili powder – harissa – mustard – dill – adobo sauce/chipotles
  • Post #43 - February 6th, 2023, 8:54 am
    Post #43 - February 6th, 2023, 8:54 am Post #43 - February 6th, 2023, 8:54 am
    Thank you.

Saving this recipe
  • Post #44 - February 6th, 2023, 9:23 am
    Post #44 - February 6th, 2023, 9:23 am Post #44 - February 6th, 2023, 9:23 am
    While I had heard of Pimento Cheese, I've never eaten any. I did some Googling about it after reading the article in Southern Living. Seems everyone refers to a recipe by Jane Hegner in Good Housekeeping in 1908 that uses cream cheese, mustard, chives, and minced pimento as a start that eventually evolved into Pimento Cheese. No one that I can find reproduces the recipe or the article. It may just say to mix those ingredients without giving any proportions. I've tried to find the article, but my Google-Fu isn't good enough for finding it. Oh well. Thanks for the diversion from washing dishes. :mrgreen:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #45 - February 6th, 2023, 9:41 am
    Post #45 - February 6th, 2023, 9:41 am Post #45 - February 6th, 2023, 9:41 am
    Southern Foodways did a Pimento Cheese recipe contest at one of their conferences. I think the recipes are online. While Pimento Cheese can be very basic, then others have an overload of ingredients.

At an LTH holiday party, there was an appetizer of toasted bread spread with pimento cheese and topped with chili jelly, like from Tabasco. It was really good. So much so my sister borrowed the idea to make at home.

Regards,
    CAthy
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #46 - February 6th, 2023, 9:44 am
    Post #46 - February 6th, 2023, 9:44 am Post #46 - February 6th, 2023, 9:44 am
    It has many regional variations from the purist (cheddar/pimientos/Dukes):

https://discoversouthcarolina.com/articles/how-its-done-south-carolina-pimento-cheese

To the secret recipe of the Masters:

https://golf.com/lifestyle/food/how-make-augusta-nationals-famous-pimento-cheese-sandwich/
  • Post #47 - February 6th, 2023, 12:11 pm
    Post #47 - February 6th, 2023, 12:11 pm Post #47 - February 6th, 2023, 12:11 pm
    jimd wrote:Here is a way to make Pimento Cheese at home that just might allay your concerns about commercial brands. It is easy to make – just mix everything in one bowl – and it tickles whatever fancy you wish to indulge at the time.
    As written, it is spicy, savory and addictive. You might be surprised to find yourself using it in ways you would not have considered (in summer, it makes a great Cheese & Tomato sandwich) and it melts nicely.
    This is a Zombie Recipe that never dies – it just gets made differently depending on your mood at the time. If you become stricken with the need to ADD-IN some ingredient that tickles your fancy, then do it. Hence the growing list at the end.
    SPICY PIMENTO CHEESE
    • 1 pound grated Cheddar
    • ½ pound grated Provolone
    • 1 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, diced and with juice (the juice adds flavor and cuts down on the mayonnaise)
    • 1 t granulated garlic
    • 1 t granulated onion (or, onion powder)
    • About 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • ¼ t cayenne
    • 5 roasted Hatch green chiles, diced (or as much of whatever fresh hot peppers you wish)
    • 1/3 C mayonnaise (just enough to mix properly)
    Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    ADD-INS:
    Smoked paprika – celery seed – smoked gouda – pickled jajapenos – piquillo peppers – peppadews – sriracha – chili powder – harissa – mustard – dill – adobo sauce/chipotles

While I’m certain that I’d be all over this at a Super Bowl party, this Southern Boy prefers simplicity.
    Have fun!
  • Post #48 - February 6th, 2023, 2:05 pm
    Post #48 - February 6th, 2023, 2:05 pm Post #48 - February 6th, 2023, 2:05 pm
    Hi,

I will admit to making my Pimento Cheese in a food processor.

JustJoan hand grates her cheddar on a fine grater. Stirs everything together, so all ingredients are visible.

I like it either way.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #49 - February 6th, 2023, 2:45 pm
    Post #49 - February 6th, 2023, 2:45 pm Post #49 - February 6th, 2023, 2:45 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I will admit to making my Pimento Cheese in a food processor.

JustJoan hand grates her cheddar on a fine grater. Stirs everything together, so all ingredients are visible.

I like it either way.

Regards,
    CAthy2

…and I use coarse grating Cuisinart blade, then soften a bit of cream cheese in the Kitchenaid ( Eric M approved) before combining. A bit of bread ‘n butter pickle juice, L&P, Tabasco are non negotiable. Xtra sharp cheddar is preferred.
    Thanks
  • Post #50 - February 6th, 2023, 4:07 pm
    Post #50 - February 6th, 2023, 4:07 pm Post #50 - February 6th, 2023, 4:07 pm
    This is a tried and true recipe that I got from Pigmon and Trixie-Pea many years ago (not sure if they're the original source). Definitely from the 'less is more' school. And every time I read it, I crack up at the reference to using mayonnaise "responsibly." :lol:

on a scroll many years ago, Pigmon & Trixie-Pea wrote:Pimento Cheese
    4 lbs high-quality sharp cheddar grated
    1 1/2 - 2 large jars pimentos drained, diced fine
    2-3 jalapenos finely minced
    1/2 - 1 clove garlic (micrograted)
    2 - 3 tbs worcestershire
    Hellman's mayo to taste

In a large mixing bowl, mix worcestershire, jalapeno, garlic, and some of the mayo. I like to use much less mayo than most recipes (maybe 1/4th as much). Slowly add grated cheese and the pimento to integrate. If you feel that the overall mixture is too dry after really working in the cheese, responsibly add more mayo being careful not to overdo it. As you go along, keep tasting the mixture and add remaining ingredients to desired taste.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #51 - February 6th, 2023, 4:22 pm
    Post #51 - February 6th, 2023, 4:22 pm Post #51 - February 6th, 2023, 4:22 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This is a tried and true recipe that I got from Pigmon and Trixie-Pea many years ago (not sure if they're the original source). Definitely from the 'less is more' school. And every time I read it, I crack up at the reference to using mayonnaise "responsibly." :lol:

on a scroll many years ago, Pigmon & Trixie-Pea wrote:Pimento Cheese
    4 lbs high-quality sharp cheddar grated
    1 1/2 - 2 large jars pimentos drained, diced fine
    2-3 jalapenos finely minced
    1/2 - 1 clove garlic (micrograted)
    2 - 3 tbs worcestershire
    Hellman's mayo to taste

In a large mixing bowl, mix worcestershire, jalapeno, garlic, and some of the mayo. I like to use much less mayo than most recipes (maybe 1/4th as much). Slowly add grated cheese and the pimento to integrate. If you feel that the overall mixture is too dry after really working in the cheese, responsibly add more mayo being careful not to overdo it. As you go along, keep tasting the mixture and add remaining ingredients to desired taste.

=R=

Pretty much textbook south of The Mason-Dixon Line…
  • Post #52 - February 6th, 2023, 6:34 pm
    Post #52 - February 6th, 2023, 6:34 pm Post #52 - February 6th, 2023, 6:34 pm
    i'd be happy to share my recipe for pimento cheese, too. i thought i already did years ago, but i just checked the recipe index and couldnt find it:
    JOAN’S PIMENTO CHEESE SANDWICH RECIPE

1/2lb. extra sharp cheddar (i use tillamook black waxed cheddar from costco)
    1 large red pepper, roasted and skinned (should weight 4oz.after skinning and seeding it)
    1/4c. mayo
    a splash of worcestershire sauce
    a little cayenne (do NOT use red pepper flakes) maybe 2-3 shakes
    a little chopped onion (1/4 of a small one)
    1 loaf white bread, preferably pepperidge farm THIN SLICED SANDWICH bread

put pepper, mayo, worcestershire, cayenne, onion in processor and pulse till smooth. using the small holes on a box grater, NOT a shredding disc, grate the cheese by hand. THEN add cheese to processor and mix briefly to combine; be careful not to puree it, it should retain some texture. then spread on bread, make a sandwich, and slice into 2 triangles. or serve on salt free crackers or pita chips. i can’t explain why, but it doesn’t taste right to me if it’s grated/shredded/chopped in the food processor….and i prefer the taste of fresh red pepper rather than jarred pimento, though it is not authentically southern my way. it just tastes damn good....
  • Post #53 - February 6th, 2023, 11:25 pm
    Post #53 - February 6th, 2023, 11:25 pm Post #53 - February 6th, 2023, 11:25 pm
    justjoan wrote:i'd be happy to share my recipe for pimento cheese, too. i thought i already did years ago, but i just checked the recipe index and couldnt find it:
    JOAN’S PIMENTO CHEESE SANDWICH RECIPE

1/2lb. extra sharp cheddar (i use tillamook black waxed cheddar from costco)
    1 large red pepper, roasted and skinned (should weight 4oz.after skinning and seeding it)
    1/4c. mayo
    a splash of worcestershire sauce
    a little cayenne (do NOT use red pepper flakes) maybe 2-3 shakes
    a little chopped onion (1/4 of a small one)
    1 loaf white bread, preferably pepperidge farm THIN SLICED SANDWICH bread

put pepper, mayo, worcestershire, cayenne, onion in processor and pulse till smooth. using the small holes on a box grater, NOT a shredding disc, grate the cheese by hand. THEN add cheese to processor and mix briefly to combine; be careful not to puree it, it should retain some texture. then spread on bread, make a sandwich, and slice into 2 triangles. or serve on salt free crackers or pita chips. i can’t explain why, but it doesn’t taste right to me if it’s grated/shredded/chopped in the food processor….and i prefer the taste of fresh red pepper rather than jarred pimento, though it is not authentically southern my way. it just tastes damn good....

Nice. We love the Tillamook cheeses, and they also produce Kirkland butter. A trombonist pal in Seattle sends me Tillamook yogurts every winter, including boysenberry, marionberry and others,
  • Post #54 - February 7th, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Post #54 - February 7th, 2023, 12:58 pm Post #54 - February 7th, 2023, 12:58 pm
  • Post #55 - February 7th, 2023, 1:15 pm
    Post #55 - February 7th, 2023, 1:15 pm Post #55 - February 7th, 2023, 1:15 pm
    Cookie cuttered bread, toasted? And watercress?
  • Post #56 - February 7th, 2023, 3:43 pm
    Post #56 - February 7th, 2023, 3:43 pm Post #56 - February 7th, 2023, 3:43 pm
    tjr wrote:Cookie cuttered bread, toasted? And watercress?

Hi tjr,
    Correct. Usually commercial “ brioche,” cheese piped in precise circles (for speed) and a neutral micro green garnish like watercress.
  • Post #57 - March 6th, 2023, 9:18 am
    Post #57 - March 6th, 2023, 9:18 am Post #57 - March 6th, 2023, 9:18 am
    Gonna try and make a batch of pimento cheese and thought giardinera would be an interesting substitute. Question, what sort of liquid are pimentos jarred in? Ive never purchased it so I'm not familiar.
  • Post #58 - March 6th, 2023, 12:02 pm
    Post #58 - March 6th, 2023, 12:02 pm Post #58 - March 6th, 2023, 12:02 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Gonna try and make a batch of pimento cheese and thought giardinera would be an interesting substitute. Question, what sort of liquid are pimentos jarred in? Ive never purchased it so I'm not familiar.

Usually just water (salt added).
  • Post #59 - March 6th, 2023, 12:14 pm
    Post #59 - March 6th, 2023, 12:14 pm Post #59 - March 6th, 2023, 12:14 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Gonna try and make a batch of pimento cheese and thought giardinera would be an interesting substitute. Question, what sort of liquid are pimentos jarred in? Ive never purchased it so I'm not familiar.

Perfect. Thank you!
  • Post #60 - March 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm
    Post #60 - March 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm Post #60 - March 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:

... or you could roast your own red pepper. I don't think the jarred ones taste very good and this is the perfect time of year for sweet red peppers. I got organic ones yesterday at fresh thyme for $1.99/lb.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more