LTH Home

Restaurant Depot

Restaurant Depot
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - May 28th, 2010, 9:54 am
    Post #61 - May 28th, 2010, 9:54 am Post #61 - May 28th, 2010, 9:54 am
    A good trip to RD to stock up on some items last night for some upcoming endeavors.

    - RO lump still about $8 a 17.6 lb bag

    - bb Ribs $3.24/lb, kind of expensive still compared to earlier this year

    -Leons smoked natural casing polish sausage links for ABT's. about $13 for 5 lbs. I think

    -commercial oven mitts(or smoker mitts), $3.33/ea.

    - some spices, and condiments(sriracha, L & P worstershire, etc.

    I will have to go back next Thursday to get a case of jalapenos for the pig roast.
  • Post #62 - February 20th, 2014, 11:25 am
    Post #62 - February 20th, 2014, 11:25 am Post #62 - February 20th, 2014, 11:25 am
    Nadig Newspapers is reporting RD is opening on the NWside at Pulaski and Bryn Mawr:

    http://nadignewspapers.com/2014/02/19/r ... aski-road/
  • Post #63 - February 20th, 2014, 11:57 am
    Post #63 - February 20th, 2014, 11:57 am Post #63 - February 20th, 2014, 11:57 am
    Sorry if this is off topic but what is the motivation for places like RD to require a business license? Does it have to do with taxes or something?
  • Post #64 - February 20th, 2014, 12:08 pm
    Post #64 - February 20th, 2014, 12:08 pm Post #64 - February 20th, 2014, 12:08 pm
    kenji wrote:Nadig Newspapers is reporting RD is opening on the NWside at Pulaski and Bryn Mawr:

    http://nadignewspapers.com/2014/02/19/r ... aski-road/


    This is slated for the former Jung Boo/Chicago Food Corp property.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #65 - February 21st, 2014, 10:07 am
    Post #65 - February 21st, 2014, 10:07 am Post #65 - February 21st, 2014, 10:07 am
    Isn't Joong Boo still there? Someone mentioned in a post just a few weeks ago that they stopped in for dumplings.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #66 - February 21st, 2014, 10:18 am
    Post #66 - February 21st, 2014, 10:18 am Post #66 - February 21st, 2014, 10:18 am
    Pie Lady wrote:Isn't Joong Boo still there? Someone mentioned in a post just a few weeks ago that they stopped in for dumplings.


    The Joong Boo store on Kimball is still there and going strong. This is their warehouse property on Pulaski just south of Peterson where they had a massive fire a year or so ago and never rebuilt.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #67 - February 21st, 2014, 10:25 am
    Post #67 - February 21st, 2014, 10:25 am Post #67 - February 21st, 2014, 10:25 am
    zoid wrote:Sorry if this is off topic but what is the motivation for places like RD to require a business license? Does it have to do with taxes or something?

    Since all the end-users are selling to the public, the tax is applied to the final consumer.

    By requiring a resale certificate, the burden of collecting and administering taxes is solely their customer's responsibility. Taking this detail away probably allows less overhead thus they can keep their prices just a bit lower.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #68 - February 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
    Post #68 - February 21st, 2014, 10:43 am Post #68 - February 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
    not everyone is an end user selling to the public... I paid sales tax on each of my purchases at RD back in the day. Things I purchased were for my use never for resale.

    Pretty easy to get a membership... All I did was create a bbq company that would never sell anything and get a business license from the state of Illinois - took maybe a week. I do have to file taxes for the "company" each year(takes about 30 seconds on the internet).... lets see, what is the governments cut of $0...? (i know that might be a trick question nowdays...) :lol:

    In the end RD didnt work for me, probably havent been in over a year. Their IBP pork works for a large party or competition, but not for a 1 or 2 slab or butt cook, etc.
  • Post #69 - February 21st, 2014, 11:04 am
    Post #69 - February 21st, 2014, 11:04 am Post #69 - February 21st, 2014, 11:04 am
    stevez wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:Isn't Joong Boo still there? Someone mentioned in a post just a few weeks ago that they stopped in for dumplings.

    The Joong Boo store on Kimball is still there and going strong. This is their warehouse property on Pulaski just south of Peterson where they had a massive fire a year or so ago and never rebuilt.

    The Joong Boo website wrote:Hi-Mart [5800 N Pulaski] opened its door to the general public in January of 2001; however, in April of 2004, a fire destroyed the building. Hi-Mart reopened its doors on December 18, 2006. It is located a mile West from the Peterson Ave exit of I-94. Hi-Mart offers one of the largest variety of rice cookers, china, gift sets, pots, pans, cutlery, restaurant supplies, and much more.

    Hi-Mart/Joong Boo was open at 5800 N Pulaski as of June 2013 when I wandered around in amazement looking at some truly bizarre merchandise. Did it burn down again since then? Where will I go now for my HeadSpa™ massagers and cupping sets?

    Image
  • Post #70 - February 21st, 2014, 11:11 am
    Post #70 - February 21st, 2014, 11:11 am Post #70 - February 21st, 2014, 11:11 am
    No. It burned down again a couple of years ago. There is/was a small building left standing after the fire, and that's what you visited, but the warehouse was never rebuilt. My neighborhood sources tell me that the small Hi-Mart store will soon be moving, if it hasn't already, to another location and that the Restaurant Depot will be built on the property. Obviously, it will be much larger than the existing building that Hi-Mart occupies.

    Nadig News wrote:Chicago Food, which sells Asian groceries, restaurant supplies and sundries, has moved to a warehouse at 5825 N. Tripp Ave.


    This location (5800 N. Pulaski) is right around the corner from my office and I will drive onto the property today to check on the status of the Hi-Mart store. It may already be gone.

    P.S. You can find HeadSpa™ massager and cupping set style merchandise all around the perimeter of H-Mart any time you need it.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #71 - February 21st, 2014, 11:38 am
    Post #71 - February 21st, 2014, 11:38 am Post #71 - February 21st, 2014, 11:38 am
    jimswside wrote:not everyone is an end user selling to the public... I paid sales tax on each of my purchases at RD back in the day. Things I purchased were for my use never for resale.

    Pretty easy to get a membership... All I did was create a bbq company that would never sell anything and get a business license from the state of Illinois - took maybe a week. I do have to file taxes for the "company" each year(takes about 30 seconds on the internet).... lets see, what is the governments cut of $0...? (i know that might be a trick question nowdays...) :lol:

    In the end RD didnt work for me, probably havent been in over a year. Their IBP pork works for a large party or competition, but not for a 1 or 2 slab or butt cook, etc.

    Jim,

    I thought of you as I was writing this earlier. You gave the impression you were going into BBQ catering.

    I agree you can get a resale number and pay the taxes yourself.

    I do have a resale number, but I don't want to use it this way.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #72 - February 21st, 2014, 12:48 pm
    Post #72 - February 21st, 2014, 12:48 pm Post #72 - February 21st, 2014, 12:48 pm
    stevez wrote:This location (5800 N. Pulaski) is right around the corner from my office and I will drive onto the property today to check on the status of the Hi-Mart store. It may already be gone.


    Indeed it is gone, but it's moved only a short drive away ("next door" is actually a 4 - 5 block drive).

    Image
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #73 - June 1st, 2014, 4:49 pm
    Post #73 - June 1st, 2014, 4:49 pm Post #73 - June 1st, 2014, 4:49 pm
    Does anyone know the accepted payment methods at RD? Do they take credit cards? If so, which ones?

    I can't find the information on their website (and may have missed it here) and they're closed for the day.

    Thanks,

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #74 - June 1st, 2014, 5:18 pm
    Post #74 - June 1st, 2014, 5:18 pm Post #74 - June 1st, 2014, 5:18 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Does anyone know the accepted payment methods at RD? Do they take credit cards? If so, which ones?

    I can't find the information on their website (and may have missed it here) and they're closed for the day.

    Thanks,

    =R=


    I know they take AMEX.
  • Post #75 - June 1st, 2014, 10:26 pm
    Post #75 - June 1st, 2014, 10:26 pm Post #75 - June 1st, 2014, 10:26 pm
    NeroW wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Does anyone know the accepted payment methods at RD? Do they take credit cards? If so, which ones?

    I can't find the information on their website (and may have missed it here) and they're closed for the day.

    Thanks,

    =R=


    I know they take AMEX.

    Good to know. Thank you.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #76 - June 2nd, 2014, 7:50 am
    Post #76 - June 2nd, 2014, 7:50 am Post #76 - June 2nd, 2014, 7:50 am
    stevez wrote:My neighborhood sources tell me that the small Hi-Mart store will soon be moving, if it hasn't already, to another location and that the Restaurant Depot will be built on the property. Obviously, it will be much larger than the existing building that Hi-Mart occupies.


    Ground has been broken and construction has begun on the new Restaurant Depot. It doesn't look like they're in much of a hurry to build, judging by the pace of the construction that has taken place so far, but at least progress is being made.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #77 - June 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm
    Post #77 - June 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm Post #77 - June 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm
    Construction update:

    Things are in full swing now. The property is now completely fenced off as a construction site, ground has been broken and there are giant mountains of sand and building materials on site. You can no longer reach Hi-Mart from the Pulaski side of the property.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #78 - June 24th, 2014, 10:35 am
    Post #78 - June 24th, 2014, 10:35 am Post #78 - June 24th, 2014, 10:35 am
    We have one of these in Milwaukee (near the airport) and I just found out that my cousin works there. I wonder if they have an employee discount. :) :)
  • Post #79 - June 24th, 2014, 10:44 am
    Post #79 - June 24th, 2014, 10:44 am Post #79 - June 24th, 2014, 10:44 am
    I was somewhat underwhelmed at my recent first visit to the store in Des Plaines on Mannheim Rd. I definitely liked the equipment, supplies, kitchen gear & tools, and some of the dry goods. But fresh ingredients -- meats, fish, seafood, produce and cheeses were pretty low end. In fact, I saw grades of meat there I never even knew existed before. There seemed to be few or none of the items posted about upthread by Jim. From a quantity perspective, RD offers quite an impressive array of perishable ingredients (and myriad other supplies) but from a quality perspective, Costco seems exponentially superior . . . as long as they have what you're looking for.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #80 - June 24th, 2014, 10:47 pm
    Post #80 - June 24th, 2014, 10:47 pm Post #80 - June 24th, 2014, 10:47 pm
    Ronnie, the Des Plains store is by far their weakest in Chicagoland. I've only ventured there one time...all for the promise of a stop by Paradise Pup, and then to find out they were closed. If the opportunity presents, try their Lombard location, much better representation of what they offer.
    D.G. Sullivan's, "we're a little bit Irish, and a whole lot of fun"!
  • Post #81 - June 24th, 2014, 10:56 pm
    Post #81 - June 24th, 2014, 10:56 pm Post #81 - June 24th, 2014, 10:56 pm
    D.G.Sullivan wrote:Ronnie, the Des Plains store is by far their weakest in Chicagoland. I've only ventured there one time...all for the promise of a stop by Paradise Pup, and then to find out they were closed. If the opportunity presents, try their Lombard location, much better representation of what they offer.

    Oh yeah. I remember that post. Thanks, for the heads up. Des Plaines is under 10 minutes from my office, so I can hit it easily at lunch time. But I will definitely give the Lombard location a try the next time I'm out that way.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #82 - June 25th, 2014, 8:07 am
    Post #82 - June 25th, 2014, 8:07 am Post #82 - June 25th, 2014, 8:07 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I was somewhat underwhelmed at my recent first visit to the store in Des Plaines on Mannheim Rd. I definitely liked the equipment, supplies, kitchen gear & tools, and some of the dry goods. But fresh ingredients -- meats, fish, seafood, produce and cheeses were pretty low end. In fact, I saw grades of meat there I never even knew existed before. There seemed to be few or none of the items posted about upthread by Jim. From a quantity perspective, RD offers quite an impressive array of perishable ingredients (and myriad other supplies) but from a quality perspective, Costco seems exponentially superior . . . as long as they have what you're looking for.

    =R=


    Charcoal.

    Big bags of Royal Oak for $8
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #83 - June 25th, 2014, 10:15 am
    Post #83 - June 25th, 2014, 10:15 am Post #83 - June 25th, 2014, 10:15 am
    Vital Information wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I was somewhat underwhelmed at my recent first visit to the store in Des Plaines on Mannheim Rd. I definitely liked the equipment, supplies, kitchen gear & tools, and some of the dry goods. But fresh ingredients -- meats, fish, seafood, produce and cheeses were pretty low end. In fact, I saw grades of meat there I never even knew existed before. There seemed to be few or none of the items posted about upthread by Jim. From a quantity perspective, RD offers quite an impressive array of perishable ingredients (and myriad other supplies) but from a quality perspective, Costco seems exponentially superior . . . as long as they have what you're looking for.

    =R=


    Charcoal.

    Big bags of Royal Oak for $8

    You know, I bought 2 bags and both contain almost nothing but little tiny pieces. It seems like it was handled very poorly. :(

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #84 - June 26th, 2014, 7:11 am
    Post #84 - June 26th, 2014, 7:11 am Post #84 - June 26th, 2014, 7:11 am
    You know, I bought 2 bags and both contain almost nothing but little tiny pieces. It seems like it was handled very poorly.


    Have recently been buying lump charcoal from Berger Bros. on Goose Island. Ask for Rancher, comes in a 35lb. bag. Most of the pieces are so large they need to be broken down with a hammer !
  • Post #85 - June 26th, 2014, 7:23 am
    Post #85 - June 26th, 2014, 7:23 am Post #85 - June 26th, 2014, 7:23 am
    JSM wrote:
    You know, I bought 2 bags and both contain almost nothing but little tiny pieces. It seems like it was handled very poorly.


    Have recently been buying lump charcoal from Berger Bros. on Goose Island. Ask for Rancher, comes in a 35lb. bag. Most of the pieces are so large they need to be broken down with a hammer !


    Even the Royal Oak at Berger Bros. (which is what I buy there) has large pieces. Common wisdom is that because Berger Bros. is the distributor, the charcoal hasn't been handled very much so the pieces remain undamaged. Most of the time, the charcoal I buy there is taken right from the original pallet.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #86 - April 24th, 2015, 9:54 am
    Post #86 - April 24th, 2015, 9:54 am Post #86 - April 24th, 2015, 9:54 am
    Per a letter I received today, a new Restaurant Depot is scheduled to open on May 6 at 5836 N. Pulaski.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #87 - April 24th, 2015, 5:40 pm
    Post #87 - April 24th, 2015, 5:40 pm Post #87 - April 24th, 2015, 5:40 pm
    I have never quite understood. Can us mortals go into Restaurant Depot and purchase?
  • Post #88 - April 24th, 2015, 6:29 pm
    Post #88 - April 24th, 2015, 6:29 pm Post #88 - April 24th, 2015, 6:29 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I have never quite understood. Can us mortals go into Restaurant Depot and purchase?

    You need a resale certificate or a friend with a resale certificate. They don't collect tax, which you need to do on your own.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #89 - April 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm
    Post #89 - April 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm Post #89 - April 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:I have never quite understood. Can us mortals go into Restaurant Depot and purchase?

    You need a resale certificate or a friend with a resale certificate. They don't collect tax, which you need to do on your own.

    Regards,

    From their website . . .

    Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #90 - April 25th, 2015, 11:05 am
    Post #90 - April 25th, 2015, 11:05 am Post #90 - April 25th, 2015, 11:05 am
    HI,

    The for-profit reseller's holder, it is expected they will eventually collect tax for the final product served to their customer. Exceptions are if the product is delivered business-to-business (now the receiving business will submit taxes), sent across state lines or exported.

    If an entity uses the goods for in-house use (or convert purchased goods for personal use), they are expected to ultimately pay taxes directly to the state.

    What Restaurant Depot does not do is collect taxes. As always, somewhere down the line the tax man will take his due.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more