LTH Home

Evanston Farmers Market

Evanston Farmers Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - July 6th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Post #181 - July 6th, 2019, 10:59 am Post #181 - July 6th, 2019, 10:59 am
    NFriday wrote:Evanston does not have peppers yet because they are not in season.
    ... The first week maybe the pickings were slim at the Evanston market because everything was late, but when I went two weeks ago, I spent $30 there. ... Peppers are going to be in season in 2-3 weeks, and the same with tomatoes.
    My complaint wasn't directed at the market's offerings in May, or even early June necessarily. Peppers have been available by mid-June in most years.

    I was there this morning ~9:20-9:40am. The selection was a little better, but the only peppers were small green bell peppers at Nichols, which didn't look very good. The Romaine offerings were pretty slim. Nichols had none, Henry's offering was worse than last week were it was 2 for $5 on decent size heads, it was $3/per, smaller, no deal for multiples. No one else had Romaine.

    As stated by Nancy, spinach is at it's end w/ places stating it was the last week of it (Nichols, and 1 other IIRC). I thought of trying Nichols's Spigarello to compare w/ rapini, but went with an Italian spinach at Green Acres (mostly organic vendor), whose season might last longer than other spinach. Thai basil looked like Green Acres' best deal at $3/bag, but I still have some from Fresh Farms. Next week. If the heirlooms sold by Nichols are indoor grown, so be it. They were in good shape at $4/lbs.

    I don't buy fruit really (been ordering peaches from "http://www.thepeachtruck.com", my god, so damn good!), but the sample strawberries of Lyons Fruit Farm were phenomenal. Carrots still only available at incredibly inflated prices; IMO 5x's supermarket price is too much to give in to.
  • Post #182 - July 6th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    Post #182 - July 6th, 2019, 12:40 pm Post #182 - July 6th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    I got a dozen eggs today from Jon First for $2 because the eggs somehow got frozen, and one of them was cracked. All the rest of his eggs were $5 a dozen. I also bought 2 quarts of strawberries for $7 from Jon and a pint of blueberries and a pint of cherries for $7 total too. While I was paying for those somebody asked me if I was interested in the eggs.

    They had some romaine at Green Acres for $3 a bag. They had a special on cauliflower and broccoli for $2 a small bag, and so I got that instead, and I also got a half pound of sugar snap peas from Nichols

    I got a bunch of swiss chard from Henry, but all of his lettuce was sold out. I saw a sign for 2/$5 lettuce, but all they had left was arugula. Henry has had a rough year this year. It rained almost every day in May and so he was late replanting his lettuce and most everything else, and then the beginning of June he got a really bad hail storm, which damaged most of his lettuce. His heads are smaller right now because he has had to remove at least the top two bunches of lettuce leaves from his lettuce because of the hale damage. What would normally be extra large heads, are now only medium heads.

    You should really go to Henry's Farm and sign up for the email his Sister Terra sends out on late Thursday evenings. She mentions what has been going on at the farm that week, and she also mentions what Henry is bringing that week, and she includes recipes. This week she had recipes for swiss chard. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #183 - July 6th, 2019, 1:17 pm
    Post #183 - July 6th, 2019, 1:17 pm Post #183 - July 6th, 2019, 1:17 pm
    NFriday wrote:I got a dozen eggs today from Jon First ...
    They had some romaine at Green Acres for $3 a bag. ...
    I got a bunch of swiss chard from Henry, but all of his lettuce was sold out. I saw a sign for 2/$5 lettuce, but all they had left was arugula. ...
    You should really go to Henry's Farm and sign up for the email his Sister Terra sends out on late Thursday evenings. She mentions what has been going on at the farm that week, and she also mentions what Henry is bringing that week, and she includes recipes.
    -When you say "John First" I assume it is the owner of 1st Orchards in the SW corner. For whatever reason (I guess saving characters helps in the digital age) he downplays the naming. If he runs a different stand, please let me know what he DBA.
    - Shame on me for not noticing Romaine at GA. I'd gone through their stuff my first trip around, thought I checked again when redoubling in a search for Romaine.
    - The 2 for $5 only applied to arugula, even when other stuff was present. The sign wasn't prominent and tight to the corner of the arugula shelf. I asked a staffer directly, and she said it was arugula-only, unlike last week.
    - It's probably a good idea to get on the email list, thanks. If for no other reason, recipes that utilize these greens are always welcome.
  • Post #184 - July 6th, 2019, 1:34 pm
    Post #184 - July 6th, 2019, 1:34 pm Post #184 - July 6th, 2019, 1:34 pm
    You can sign up for the newsletter at http://www.brockmanfamilyfarming.com

    They also have a fairly active Facebook page where they share pictures of what's being harvested.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #185 - July 6th, 2019, 2:50 pm
    Post #185 - July 6th, 2019, 2:50 pm Post #185 - July 6th, 2019, 2:50 pm
    Hi- Jon First is 1st Orchards. He is a good friend of my Sister that took over the farm when my Father died 30 years ago. I usually get to the market when they are winding down. You can get some really good deals then. Jon used to have a bag sale at the end of the day for $5 a bag for what ever he had left. He used to have heirloom tomatoes marked down to 3/$1 too. He still marks some of his stuff down at the end of the day like he did today with the fruit, but he quit the bag sales when Hillside food pantry started doing pick ups there. He donates more stuff than any other farmer there. He donates all of the asparagus he has left, and I am sure he donated the rest of the strawberries he had left today, although he sold the great majority of them. He also donates all of the tomatoes he has left. Hillside makes it really easy for farmers to donate. They go stall to stall and provide bins for the donated produce to go into. They usually show up around 12:30.

    One of the organic growers it starts with a K Kennibeck or something like that, has mixed lettuce in bags for $3. They keep it in a cooler and so it is always in good condition. I'll buy lettuce from them if Henry is out. I also buy heirloom tomatoes from them starting in August. If you go there after 12:00, they usually mark them down to $1 a pound. By then they have been picked over, and so you have to use them up in a day or two, but they are really good.
  • Post #186 - July 6th, 2019, 4:30 pm
    Post #186 - July 6th, 2019, 4:30 pm Post #186 - July 6th, 2019, 4:30 pm
    bw77 wrote:You can sign up for the newsletter at http://www.brockmanfamilyfarming.com
    Thanks. The link to Henry's on the EFM website's vendor list is nonfunctional. Ironically, because they have recipes on the website, I might not need emails as much.
    NFriday wrote:Jon First is 1st Orchards. ... I usually get to the market when they are winding down. You can get some really good deals then.

    One of the organic growers it starts with a K Kennibeck
    Thanks for confirming. Deals at closing is the smartest, most opportunistic approach, but I get burned b/c things I really want, like criminis at River Valley are sold out.

    Must've been Kinnikinnick. I usually associate them with meats & eggs. I'll have to keep an eye on greens now.
  • Post #187 - July 6th, 2019, 5:35 pm
    Post #187 - July 6th, 2019, 5:35 pm Post #187 - July 6th, 2019, 5:35 pm
    bw77 wrote:You can sign up for the newsletter at http://www.brockmanfamilyfarming.com
    Thanks. The link to Henry's on the EFM website's vendor list is nonfunctional. Ironically, because they have recipes on the website, I might not need emails as much.

    The Facebook page is under Henry's Farm rather than Brockman Farm. They got so much rain in May, it shows them planting rice.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #188 - July 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm
    Post #188 - July 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm Post #188 - July 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm
    Hi- Can anybody tell me if the farmer's market at the Evanston YMCA is taking place again this summer. I tried looking it up on the friends of the Evanston farmer's market site, but it is not listed. Ridgeville is listed for Wednesdays. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #189 - July 10th, 2019, 3:03 pm
    Post #189 - July 10th, 2019, 3:03 pm Post #189 - July 10th, 2019, 3:03 pm
    I asked several strawberry farmers last Saturday, and they told me that they won't have nearly as many strawberries this Saturday at Evanston. The hot weather kind of did them in. They should still have cherries and lots of blueberries, and hopefully some apricots. I am not sure how large the Michigan apricot crop is though due to the polar vortex, Hopefully corn will be coming either this Saturday or the following Saturday due to all of the hot weather we have been having. Henry even had a few tomatoes for his first 10 customers last Saturday,

    Yes there is a chance that the market will be out of some of the stuff you want if you show up late, but when I show up at 11:30, River Valley Ranch always has crimini. I usually don't buy it in the summertime though, because I can get it at the winter market all winter.

    Due to the hot weather lettuce should be harder to come by this Saturday, and so if you want any get there before 9:00. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more