LTH Home

Evanston Farmers Market

Evanston Farmers Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 12 of 12 
  • Post #331 - December 14th, 2020, 5:27 pm
    Post #331 - December 14th, 2020, 5:27 pm Post #331 - December 14th, 2020, 5:27 pm
    Hi- Henry's sister sent out the email about what Henry is bringing to Evanston this Sunday if anybody wants to order anything. Most of the stuff you have to purchase five pounds worth, and a lot of the stuff he is bringing he is out of already. He is out of chinese cabbage, carrots, radishes, beets, and garlic braids. He does have some more cornmeal in case anybody was not able to get any last time. The cornmeal went really quick last time. It is going to be the same set up as it was last month where you drive to University Drive, and you then wait in line, and you give Henry a slip of paper with your name on it, and you then prop open your trunk, and one of his helpers puts your purchase in your trunk. It only took me five minutes to wait in line and then get my veggies. He is going to be there from 12:00-2:00 this Sunday. I am only getting some more garlic and some cornmeal. I love his black garlic, but I don't know if it is worth $15 to me.
  • Post #332 - December 14th, 2020, 9:36 pm
    Post #332 - December 14th, 2020, 9:36 pm Post #332 - December 14th, 2020, 9:36 pm
    Here’s the order form: https://form.jotform.com/203446490647157

Not much left, but if you’re a rutabaga fiend oh boy are you in luck.
  • Post #333 - December 15th, 2020, 1:45 am
    Post #333 - December 15th, 2020, 1:45 am Post #333 - December 15th, 2020, 1:45 am
    I just checked, and Henry still has lots of turnips and garlic left. I love his Japanese turnips, and he still has four packages of corn meal left, which I am surprised about, and he has some rutabaga, sunchokes, and burdock left.
  • Post #334 - December 16th, 2020, 12:23 pm
    Post #334 - December 16th, 2020, 12:23 pm Post #334 - December 16th, 2020, 12:23 pm
    I just checked, and Henry still has lots of turnips left as well as burdock and sunchokes. He also has lots of garlic as well as black garlic. You have to submit your order by midnight tonight, and then pick it up on Sunday at the same location he was set up at on University Drive last time.

BTW- The garlic grower from Wisconsin who came to the market for the first time this summer, and was in the square has some regular garlic and for sale at the Village Farmstand which is located on Dempster where Hewn used to be located. They also have River Valley mushrooms.
  • Post #335 - February 11th, 2021, 2:41 am
    Post #335 - February 11th, 2021, 2:41 am Post #335 - February 11th, 2021, 2:41 am
    Hi- I got an email from Teresa Brockman on Sunday with the list of plant starts she is going to have available this year. She just came up with a new website, and she is taking orders for plant starts now. She is going to be at the Evanston farmer's market on May 8th with all of the cool weather plants that people ordered, and she is going to be at the market again on May 22nd, with all of the warm weather plants. I just submitted my order two hours ago. Last year she was forced to only do online sales, and she sold out in a week. But that was in April when people had gardening on their mind. Right now she still has lots of plants left, although a few plants have 15 or fewer seedlings available. She only has 15 pink Brandywine plants left. She has tons of varieties to choose from. She has at least 50 tomato varieties to choose from, including many heirlooms. She also has pepper, eggplant, kale, swiss chard, broccoli, brussel sprout, squash, cucumber and lots of herb plants to choose from. All of her plants are $5. If you buy 10-29 plants, you get 10% off. If you purchase 30 or more plants, you get 20% off. All of her plants are organic, and are wonderful. She has an order form on her website. You do get charged for sales tax. I was charged $9.90 for sales tax for a order totaling $120. She takes credit/debit card or paypal. She still has plenty of plants available, but last summer everybody was gardening, and plants were hard to come by, and I am sure gardening is going to be hot again this summer. Here is a link to her website.

https://www.teresasunnylanefarm.com/pla ... t-overview
  • Post #336 - March 20th, 2021, 4:38 pm
    Post #336 - March 20th, 2021, 4:38 pm Post #336 - March 20th, 2021, 4:38 pm
    Hi- I just got a new email from Terra Brockman. Henry predicts he is going to come to the Evanston market starting 5/15. His first CSA pick up is going to take place on 5/29. He still has a few openings for his CSA downstate, but the Evanston CSA is full, but he might be able to squeeze a few people in once he sees how much he sells at the Evanston market, and so he encourages people to sign up for the waiting list. The Evanston market right now plans to operate the market this summer in similar fashion as they did last summer. That means the social distancing and everybody wearing masks, and you can not touch the stuff until you've bought it. I know this is going to turn some people off. Hopefully they will relax the rules as the summer evolves. Evanston only had two new COVID cases today, and I got my second shot on Thursday, and there are lots of openings with the city of Evanston for shots for Tuesday for people 65 or older. Go to the city's website to sign up.

They are showing the film about Henry at two different film festivals coming up. One of the festivals is free. On the email Terra just sent, Henry mentions about listening to Marketplace while in his tractor, and there was some big ad guy from Illinois that was mentioning how bad business had been for farmers since the pandemic. Henry thought it was ironic, because he had one of the best years he has ever had sales wise. This guy was mentioning that people were not buying meat and biofluids. This big ag person suggested that people visit restaurants, drive to work, and take long road trips to help the economy.

I also want to remind people that Teresa still has lots of plant starts for sale. You must purchase and pay for them online, and then she will deliver the cool season plants on 5/8, and the warm weather plants such as tomatoes and peppers on 5/22. Her plants are wonderful. There is a link to her website on the previous post I did in February. I tried to figure out how to post a link to Henry's email, but I could not unless without giving everybody access to all of my emails, which I am not willing to do. If anybody knows how to do it please post a link. You can go on his website, and sign up to get Terra's emails. I highly recommend them. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #337 - March 20th, 2021, 4:54 pm
    Post #337 - March 20th, 2021, 4:54 pm Post #337 - March 20th, 2021, 4:54 pm
    Here is a link to the Conservation film festival, which is going to show Henry's documentary from 3/24-28 for free. They have a ton of documentaries they are going to be showing. They are all free, but you have to preregister for them.

https://2021festival.eventive.org/films

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more