LTH Home

Evanston Farmers Market

Evanston Farmers Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 13 of 13 
  • Post #361 - June 5th, 2021, 11:40 am
    Post #361 - June 5th, 2021, 11:40 am Post #361 - June 5th, 2021, 11:40 am
    When I got to the market around 11:00, Jon First and Morlocks were out of strawberries, I went to Nichols to see how much their strawberries were, and they were $7 a pint, or 3/$20. Even though I love their strawberries, I won't pay that much money. I ended up getting a quart from Lyons for $8, and they were okay but not great. Hopefully Nichols will have cheaper strawberries next week, or Jon First will still have some when I get there. Jon still had tons of asparagus though. I wished he would have kept his bunches of asparagus in water though. Usually he has really good asparagus, but due to the hot weather, the ends were dried out. I also got some spinach, mesclun and a head of lettuce from Henry. Henry always does a really good job of keeping his stuff fresh. He also had lots left to sell when I left the market at 11:45.

I noticed the tables and chairs that they have set out for people to eat are located next to the Mexican restaurant, right near the parking garage. It looks like they were not very crowded. Gotta B Crepe and the Mexican restaurant had the longest lines again. It looks like a lot of people that went to the market last summer because of COVID, decided that it is okay to go back to Jewel to buy their produce.

I noticed that everybody in the main square was wearing masks, but when you went to the outer square I saw a few people that were not wearing masks, and there were alot of people that were not wearing their mask correctly, and people were not social distancing at Gotta B Crepes and the Mexican restaurant. The line at Nichols was smaller than usual today.
  • Post #362 - June 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm
    Post #362 - June 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm Post #362 - June 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm
    Hi- I just got my regular Thursday email from the city of Evanston, and one person here will be glad to hear that the city is taking away the mask requirement at all outdoor events including the farmer's market. The only places that masks will still be required are the public library, and any other building owned by the city such as Robert Crown, , the police station, and any of the other recreation centers such as the Levy center and the ecology center.

I also got an email from Henry's sister Terra telling people what Henry is bringing to the farmer's market this week. Due to the hot weather this is going to be the last week for spinach until this fall. Henry is going to have lots of lettuce this week. If you let him select your lettuce, Henry will sell you 2 bags of lettuce for $5. If you want to pick out your own, lettuce will be 2/$7. Henry will have the first of his basil for $3 a bunch. They are going to be small this week, but the size of the bunches will greatly expand as the summer progresses, but the price will remain the same.

Terra mentioned that several of Henry's helpers at the market toured the rest of the market last week, and they noticed that Henry is cheaper than all of the organic growers, and he is also cheaper than many of the conventional growers. Henry tries to price his produce so it is affordable to the average person. He also has a junior citizen discount for those people that are in their 20's or have a child under the age of 21 months. Those people get 20% off. Terra also mentioned that all of Henry's employees have been fully vaccinated.

I have been buying most of my produce so far this summer from Jon First and Henry because they are reasonable, and they always have nice stuff. This week though there should be lots more strawberries, and hopefully they will be cheaper. Last week all I got was one quart that I paid $8 for. Nichols usually have the best strawberries, but last week they were $7 a pint or 3/$20, and no way was I spending that much on strawberries. K & K farms should be there this Saturday with strawberries, but if you want strawberries from them, get there early. I suspect they will sell out by 11:00. There should still be lots of asparagus too. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #363 - June 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Post #363 - June 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm Post #363 - June 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    NFriday wrote:I just got my regular Thursday email from the city of Evanston, and one person here will be glad to hear that the city is taking away the mask requirement at all outdoor events including the farmer's market.
    I am pleased to hear my home town has gone in the direction of scientific consensus and common sense regarding outdoor events. Thanks for passing on the good news. Fingers-crossed they'll go back to the much more natural and functional setup of rows as opposed to the inefficient single entrance square with exterior rows soon.
  • Post #364 - June 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm
    Post #364 - June 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm Post #364 - June 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm
    I think they set up the farmer's market the way that they did to limit the number of people at the market at any one time. I much preferred it the way it was before, because I could make one quick run through at the market when I got there to see what everybody had, and then decide who I wanted to buy from. I don't know if we are allowed to touch the produce or not. I was told by Jon First a few weeks ago that we could, but when I asked on the market's Facebook page about it, I never got an answer, and my post got deleted. Nichols is still set up so you cannot touch the stuff, and Todd Nichols complained at the beginning of the season, that he was being forced to hire twice as many people to man his tent because his employees had to bag it for you. At Henry's they still don't let you touch the produce until you buy it, but at least they encourage you to bring your own bag, where as Todd Nichols does not give you that option. When I bought fruit from K & K Farms last summer for most people they just put the stuff in one of their bags, but Linda Keoningshof knows me, and if she waited on me, she would put the stuff on the end table minus the bag, and let me bag it myself.
  • Post #365 - June 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm
    Post #365 - June 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm Post #365 - June 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm
    I just checked the Facebook page for the Evanston market, and yes masks will not be required for people that are fully vaccinated, and there is not going to be a limit on how many people are going to be allowed in the market at any one time, but they are still keeping the set up of the market with the inner and outer square for the time being because it gives people more room to social distance. The vendors are now going to be given the option to let the customers pick out their own produce, which means that some vendors will change their set up and some won't. I hope Todd Nichols changes his set up. It is so hard to figure out what he has, and how much it is without getting in line. Last week he had sugar snap peas, but then I noticed that they were $10 a pound, and no thanks. Henry is going to have sugar snap and snow peas this week, and his is usually around $3 for a pint box.

There should still be some asparagus tomorrow and lots more strawberries. Hopefully K & K Farms will be there with strawberries, and Jon First should have plenty of strawberries, as well as Nichols and Morlocks. Nichols charged $7 a pint for strawberries last week though. Myra the market manager gave a plug for a new vendor that is selling potato donuts. They add mashed potatoes to their donuts. Apparently they participated in a donut competition in 2019 in Chicago, and came in first place. They even beat out Stan's donuts. The market is averaging 4,500 people per week. They now have a place for you to sit down and eat your donut or whatever. Tables and chairs are located next to the Mexican restaurant, near the parking garage. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #366 - June 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    Post #366 - June 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm Post #366 - June 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    I just got another email from Henry, and he has a loaded truck, which includes lots of greens, lettuce, spinach, Japanese turnips, broccoli, and kohlrabi. For all of his CSA customers he is now able to allow people to bag their stuff themselves. He asks that people follow the signs exactly about what to select, and if beets are supposed to be in your bag, but you don't like beets, he asks that you select a bunch of beets, but then take them to the exchange table he will have set up, and trade them for something else on the table. He did not say if he is going to allow non CSA customers to select their own produce or not. I personally hope that Nichols allows people to select their own stuff.
  • Post #367 - Yesterday, 1:05 pm
    Post #367 - Yesterday, 1:05 pm Post #367 - Yesterday, 1:05 pm
    Hardly anybody was wearing a mask at the market today, and everybody let you pick out your own produce, although at Nichols they picked out the strawberries for me. Their strawberries were a little cheaper. They were 5 pints for $20, which was a little bit more than I would normally have spent, but I got there late and a lot of the growers were out of strawberries. Nichols also had their lettuce marked down to $2 a bag, but I had already gotten two huge heads of romaine from Henry for $5. I also got some broccoli, sugar snap peas and a bag of spinach from Henry, and a bunch of asparagus from somebody in Michigan. Jon First was out of asparagus when I got there. Somebody told me that K & K Farms will be there starting next week. It seems like there were still lots of people there at 12:15. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more