LTH Home

Evanston Farmers Market

Evanston Farmers Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 13 of 17
  • Post #361 - June 5th, 2021, 11:40 am
    Post #361 - June 5th, 2021, 11:40 am Post #361 - June 5th, 2021, 11:40 am
    When I got to the market around 11:00, Jon First and Morlocks were out of strawberries, I went to Nichols to see how much their strawberries were, and they were $7 a pint, or 3/$20. Even though I love their strawberries, I won't pay that much money. I ended up getting a quart from Lyons for $8, and they were okay but not great. Hopefully Nichols will have cheaper strawberries next week, or Jon First will still have some when I get there. Jon still had tons of asparagus though. I wished he would have kept his bunches of asparagus in water though. Usually he has really good asparagus, but due to the hot weather, the ends were dried out. I also got some spinach, mesclun and a head of lettuce from Henry. Henry always does a really good job of keeping his stuff fresh. He also had lots left to sell when I left the market at 11:45.

I noticed the tables and chairs that they have set out for people to eat are located next to the Mexican restaurant, right near the parking garage. It looks like they were not very crowded. Gotta B Crepe and the Mexican restaurant had the longest lines again. It looks like a lot of people that went to the market last summer because of COVID, decided that it is okay to go back to Jewel to buy their produce.

I noticed that everybody in the main square was wearing masks, but when you went to the outer square I saw a few people that were not wearing masks, and there were alot of people that were not wearing their mask correctly, and people were not social distancing at Gotta B Crepes and the Mexican restaurant. The line at Nichols was smaller than usual today.
  • Post #362 - June 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm
    Post #362 - June 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm Post #362 - June 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm
    Hi- I just got my regular Thursday email from the city of Evanston, and one person here will be glad to hear that the city is taking away the mask requirement at all outdoor events including the farmer's market. The only places that masks will still be required are the public library, and any other building owned by the city such as Robert Crown, , the police station, and any of the other recreation centers such as the Levy center and the ecology center.

I also got an email from Henry's sister Terra telling people what Henry is bringing to the farmer's market this week. Due to the hot weather this is going to be the last week for spinach until this fall. Henry is going to have lots of lettuce this week. If you let him select your lettuce, Henry will sell you 2 bags of lettuce for $5. If you want to pick out your own, lettuce will be 2/$7. Henry will have the first of his basil for $3 a bunch. They are going to be small this week, but the size of the bunches will greatly expand as the summer progresses, but the price will remain the same.

Terra mentioned that several of Henry's helpers at the market toured the rest of the market last week, and they noticed that Henry is cheaper than all of the organic growers, and he is also cheaper than many of the conventional growers. Henry tries to price his produce so it is affordable to the average person. He also has a junior citizen discount for those people that are in their 20's or have a child under the age of 21 months. Those people get 20% off. Terra also mentioned that all of Henry's employees have been fully vaccinated.

I have been buying most of my produce so far this summer from Jon First and Henry because they are reasonable, and they always have nice stuff. This week though there should be lots more strawberries, and hopefully they will be cheaper. Last week all I got was one quart that I paid $8 for. Nichols usually have the best strawberries, but last week they were $7 a pint or 3/$20, and no way was I spending that much on strawberries. K & K farms should be there this Saturday with strawberries, but if you want strawberries from them, get there early. I suspect they will sell out by 11:00. There should still be lots of asparagus too. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #363 - June 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Post #363 - June 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm Post #363 - June 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    NFriday wrote:I just got my regular Thursday email from the city of Evanston, and one person here will be glad to hear that the city is taking away the mask requirement at all outdoor events including the farmer's market.
    I am pleased to hear my home town has gone in the direction of scientific consensus and common sense regarding outdoor events. Thanks for passing on the good news. Fingers-crossed they'll go back to the much more natural and functional setup of rows as opposed to the inefficient single entrance square with exterior rows soon.
  • Post #364 - June 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm
    Post #364 - June 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm Post #364 - June 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm
    I think they set up the farmer's market the way that they did to limit the number of people at the market at any one time. I much preferred it the way it was before, because I could make one quick run through at the market when I got there to see what everybody had, and then decide who I wanted to buy from. I don't know if we are allowed to touch the produce or not. I was told by Jon First a few weeks ago that we could, but when I asked on the market's Facebook page about it, I never got an answer, and my post got deleted. Nichols is still set up so you cannot touch the stuff, and Todd Nichols complained at the beginning of the season, that he was being forced to hire twice as many people to man his tent because his employees had to bag it for you. At Henry's they still don't let you touch the produce until you buy it, but at least they encourage you to bring your own bag, where as Todd Nichols does not give you that option. When I bought fruit from K & K Farms last summer for most people they just put the stuff in one of their bags, but Linda Keoningshof knows me, and if she waited on me, she would put the stuff on the end table minus the bag, and let me bag it myself.
  • Post #365 - June 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm
    Post #365 - June 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm Post #365 - June 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm
    I just checked the Facebook page for the Evanston market, and yes masks will not be required for people that are fully vaccinated, and there is not going to be a limit on how many people are going to be allowed in the market at any one time, but they are still keeping the set up of the market with the inner and outer square for the time being because it gives people more room to social distance. The vendors are now going to be given the option to let the customers pick out their own produce, which means that some vendors will change their set up and some won't. I hope Todd Nichols changes his set up. It is so hard to figure out what he has, and how much it is without getting in line. Last week he had sugar snap peas, but then I noticed that they were $10 a pound, and no thanks. Henry is going to have sugar snap and snow peas this week, and his is usually around $3 for a pint box.

There should still be some asparagus tomorrow and lots more strawberries. Hopefully K & K Farms will be there with strawberries, and Jon First should have plenty of strawberries, as well as Nichols and Morlocks. Nichols charged $7 a pint for strawberries last week though. Myra the market manager gave a plug for a new vendor that is selling potato donuts. They add mashed potatoes to their donuts. Apparently they participated in a donut competition in 2019 in Chicago, and came in first place. They even beat out Stan's donuts. The market is averaging 4,500 people per week. They now have a place for you to sit down and eat your donut or whatever. Tables and chairs are located next to the Mexican restaurant, near the parking garage. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #366 - June 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    Post #366 - June 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm Post #366 - June 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    I just got another email from Henry, and he has a loaded truck, which includes lots of greens, lettuce, spinach, Japanese turnips, broccoli, and kohlrabi. For all of his CSA customers he is now able to allow people to bag their stuff themselves. He asks that people follow the signs exactly about what to select, and if beets are supposed to be in your bag, but you don't like beets, he asks that you select a bunch of beets, but then take them to the exchange table he will have set up, and trade them for something else on the table. He did not say if he is going to allow non CSA customers to select their own produce or not. I personally hope that Nichols allows people to select their own stuff.
  • Post #367 - June 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm
    Post #367 - June 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm Post #367 - June 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm
    Hardly anybody was wearing a mask at the market today, and everybody let you pick out your own produce, although at Nichols they picked out the strawberries for me. Their strawberries were a little cheaper. They were 5 pints for $20, which was a little bit more than I would normally have spent, but I got there late and a lot of the growers were out of strawberries. Nichols also had their lettuce marked down to $2 a bag, but I had already gotten two huge heads of romaine from Henry for $5. I also got some broccoli, sugar snap peas and a bag of spinach from Henry, and a bunch of asparagus from somebody in Michigan. Jon First was out of asparagus when I got there. Somebody told me that K & K Farms will be there starting next week. It seems like there were still lots of people there at 12:15. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #368 - June 18th, 2021, 10:02 pm
    Post #368 - June 18th, 2021, 10:02 pm Post #368 - June 18th, 2021, 10:02 pm
    Hi- Henry is going to have a different set up tomorrow where there will be a long table with a short table at either end of the long table. People will be allowed to pick their own produce, but Henry wants the line to only go one direction, and when people finish going through the displays, Henry will have seven helpers to ring people up. People are asked to social distance while they are in the line selecting their veggies. Henry has requested that people don't back track because they forgot something. The line will be the same for his regular customers and his CSA customers. Henry will be selling lettuce two bags for $5 tomorrow. In the email I got Wednesday Terra mentioned that Henry was going to have cabbage and spinach. But she did not list those on the email I just got. Henry will be bringing lots of greens, Japanese turnips carrots and kohlrabi. Henry is also bringing fava beans for the first time ever. He says they are wonderful. What do people do with fava beans?

For the first time since the pandemic started, farmers can now hand out samples. On 7/3 the kids club will start up again, and we will have entertainment again too on 7/3. Tomorrow we should have plenty of strawberries, and K & K Farms will be there with their strawberries I have been told. We should still have lots of asparagus too. Don't forget that if you have been vaccinated too, you do not have to wear a mask at the market. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #369 - June 24th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    Post #369 - June 24th, 2021, 8:25 pm Post #369 - June 24th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    I just talked to my sister that has the farm in SW Michigan, and she told me that strawberries are done for the year in her area because of all of the rain we had last Sunday. Nichols might still have some strawberries this Saturday though. Thankfully my sister's sweet cherries survived the rain, and did not major crack. She is upicking sweet cherries right now, but tomorrow might be the last day for upick cherries. She only has a third of a crop of cherries. She is going to have upick sour cherries I think on July 4th weekend, and she has a full crop of peaches, and she is going to have upick peaches starting approximately August 5th.
  • Post #370 - July 3rd, 2021, 2:12 pm
    Post #370 - July 3rd, 2021, 2:12 pm Post #370 - July 3rd, 2021, 2:12 pm
    Hi- I was going to post yesterday, but never got around to it. I never made it to the market last week because I was planning on going to a family reunion last Saturday in Michigan. When my sister from New Orleans and I headed out to go to the reunion, it was raining hard. We decided to go to it anyway. We got on Lake Shore Drive, and then got as far as Belmont, and decided to get off there and head on back to Evanston. Right after we got off LSD, I got the tornado warning on my phone.

Last Saturday was the first time in 10 years that the market closed early. Jon First told me today that the market stayed open after the tornado siren went off, but they finally decided to shut down the market because they could see the rain was not going to let up. He said he only had three dozen quarts of strawberries and two dozen eggs left by then, and he ended up giving them to Hillside. I am surprised that they even did pickup. I don't know where everybody went while the tornado warning was on.

A few people had blueberries, cherries and raspberries today. I decided to pass on all of those. I was not sure if the blueberries were any good yet, and one of the growers was charging $8 a pint for them. I got there too late for Henry's potatoes lettuce and garlic, but I bought a huge broccolini from Henry as well as some swiss chard and kale. I also bought a dozen eggs from Jon First for $5. They offered to sell me two dozen for $7, but it takes me a month to go through a dozen eggs, and so I passed. They were medium eggs with brown shells. It was really nice weather today. Nichols had lettuce for $5 or 3/$10, but I took a look at the lettuce, and it was not great. They also had sugar snap peas for $6 a quart, but that was more than what I wanted.

The blueberries should be a lot better next week, and hopefully they should be cheaper too. Stovers had a sign for strawberries today, but it looked like they were out. There should be sweet corn in about two weeks.

I noticed the sax players were back again. Hopefully they got enough donations today. It was good to hear music again. Hope this helps. Nancy
  • Post #371 - July 8th, 2021, 10:36 pm
    Post #371 - July 8th, 2021, 10:36 pm Post #371 - July 8th, 2021, 10:36 pm
    Terra Brockman just sent out an email telling people what Henry is bringing to market this Saturday. The city has now stopped the requirement that people line up to enter his tent, and only go in one direction. Now people will be able to enter his tent without lining up. It is going to be set up the same way it was before the pandemic. The only protocol Henry is keeping from last week is that he is going to have the cashiers located right outside the tent. You load your stuff in one of the baskets Henry provides, and then when you are done shopping, you head to one of the cashiers to pay for your purchases. I've noticed that if you prefer to pay with cash, Henry does not require you to pay exact cash anymore. If you buy $10 worth of produce, but all you have is a $20, Henry will give you change back. He does still take credit though. There are a few growers that prefer you pay with cash.

The only thing that will remain for the rest of the season is that the market will continue to have an inside and an outside square to give people more room to social distance.

Henry is bringing the last of the kohlrabi and carrots he has now. He will have more later in the season. Henry will have lots of garlic, leeks and basil this week, as well as lots of amaranth, cabbage and zucchini.

Hopefully Nichols will have their stall back to the way it was before the pandemic. It was hard to figure out what they had for sale.

There should be lots of blueberries and raspberries this week. I suspect the strawberries are all done for the year though. Cherries are done for the year in SW Michigan, but there might be a few cherries from Northern Michigan at the market. Apricots are going to be hard to come by this year, unless Northern Michigan has more of a crop of apricots than SW Michigan does. Hopefully there will be some sweet corn at the market on 7/17. Peaches should become available at that market too, but canning peaches will not be available until the beginning of August. The early peaches do not come easily off the pit. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #372 - July 9th, 2021, 9:38 pm
    Post #372 - July 9th, 2021, 9:38 pm Post #372 - July 9th, 2021, 9:38 pm
    Henry is bringing split cabbage and charging $.40 a pound for it. He says it will keep. You have to ask for it.

The farmers market starting tomorrow is providing free COVID tests. I am not sure if they are the instant ones or not. It would be nice if they offered vaccines too at the market. There is supposed to be apricots at the market tomorrow. I don't know who is bringing them and where they are from. Apricots do not survive well in frost, and my sister in SW Michigan does not have an apricot crop this year. The Traverse City area might have some apricots.
  • Post #373 - July 10th, 2021, 3:06 pm
    Post #373 - July 10th, 2021, 3:06 pm Post #373 - July 10th, 2021, 3:06 pm
    Did anybody get any apricots at the market today? I did not see any at K & K Farms today. I only get some from them when they have their slightly bruised apricots really cheap. I saw somebody from Berrien Springs had some, but I did not stop to see how much they were, and I did not make it into the inside square today. Stovers and a few other growers might have had some for lots of money. As it was I spent $32 on fruit. I bought a quart of cherries, and a quart of peaches, and two pints of blueberries. Henry was way cheaper in comparison. I got two heads of garlic, a quart of red kohlrabi, and a huge Japanese cabbage that has split, and I only paid $6.75 for all of that. Has anybody tried any of Henry's Japanese flat head cabbage yet? Henry was out of Amaranth and leeks when I got there, but he had plenty of cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, garlic and fennel.

I did not see the sax players there today. The only musicians I saw were a group of high school students playing classical music. They were not bad. I stopped at the COVID testing table, and the person manning the table referred me to their website for further information. They are called free covid care, and they are headquartered in Lincolnwood. They do offer rapid tests that show results in ten minutes. They also administer vaccines, but not at the farmer's market.
  • Post #374 - August 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm
    Post #374 - August 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm Post #374 - August 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm
    I did not realize it had been almost 4 weeks since I had posted about the market. The first week the market dropped the mask policy, maybe only 5% of the customers continued tp wear a mask. Last Saturday probably 25% of the customers wore a mask. Evanston has had 62 cases of COVID in the last week, compared to the 2 in one week that they had a month ago, and so I am sure that more people will be wearing masks tomorrow. The city is asking people to social distance, but they still don't have to wear a mask. Last week the musicians were not there, but hopefully they will be there tomorrow. They were talking about doing chef demos again, but so far they have not scheduled them.

There will be plenty of corn, tomatoes, blueberries and peaches tomorrow. You should maybe see some red haven peaches tomorrow. That is the most common peach variety grown in Michigan, and they are freestone, although the ones next week will be more freestone than the ones tomorrow. I used to get #2 peaches from K & K Farms for $3, and I have not seen any so far this year. Last week when I got there, they were out of peaches, and so I had to buy some from Jon First who I also bought blueberries from. Normally I buy all my corn from him, but he was out of corn, and so I had to buy corn from Nichols, which was actually cheaper, and was good. I also bought a decent melon from Nichols.

Henry is going to have lots of tomatoes tomorrow. I bought some tomatoes from him last week that he marked down to $3 by the time I got there, and they were good. He also had some #2 tomatoes for $2, but he was out of them by the time I got there. I also bought some basil he had on sale to make pesto, but I am not sure if he is going to have any basil this week. His basil got hit with some sort of virus or fungal infection. Henry is going to have the amazing wall of lettuce again this week. Normally he does not have lettuce this time of year, and so get some while you can. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #375 - August 6th, 2021, 7:35 pm
    Post #375 - August 6th, 2021, 7:35 pm Post #375 - August 6th, 2021, 7:35 pm
    I just got another email from Henry, and this is the last big week for fennel, and Henry is bringing up lots of basil, but he does not know how much longer he will have it. Henry is also bringing some Chinese chives that are supposed to be fantastic. Henry is also bringing a ton of tomatoes this week. I looked around to see who else had tomatoes last week, and Nichols tomatoes were comparable to Henry's, but they were charging $5 a pound for them, and Henry started out at $4, but marked his down to $3 by the time I got there at 11:30. Somebody else there in the inside square that does a lot of business had tomatoes for $3.50 a pound, but their tomatoes did not look nearly as inviting as Henry and Nichol's tomatoes. Jon First I believe charges $4 a pound for his heirloom tomatoes, and maybe $3 a pound for his conventional ones. He used to sell them really cheap right before he went home, but he only does that a few times a year now. He mostly gives away his left over tomatoes to the food pantry.
  • Post #376 - August 8th, 2021, 2:12 pm
    Post #376 - August 8th, 2021, 2:12 pm Post #376 - August 8th, 2021, 2:12 pm
    Well I never made it to the Evanston market yesterday, and so I went to the Skokie market today. I could have gone to Glenwood, but I was worried about parking, It was okay, but I still like Evanston a lot better. They only have about 30 sellers there, and nobody was organic today except for River Valley, and they are not certified organic. There were only two people there selling heirloom tomatoes, and one was charging $5 a pound, and the second person used to come to Evanston, but it was discovered that they were buying California strawberries on the Water Street wholesale market, and passing them off as home grown, and they were kicked out. They had heirloom tomatoes for $8 a quart, but I was nervous about the origin of those tomatoes, and so I passed on them.

The grower that was selling the $5 a pound tomatoes, M & D Farms told me they used to come to Evanston, but they got fed up with all of the rules. I am not sure if they actually came to Evanston last summer, but decided they did not want to put up with all of the COVID rules again this year, or if they decided not to come to the market last year. They said that they have been coming to Evanston for years. I told them that the market got rid of most of the rules, and the only one they still have is the inner and outer squares. They said they would be interested in coming back to Evanston if things reverted back to the way they were before COVID.

I know the person that manages the Evanston market was managing the Skokie market last year too, and I just assumed they were had the same protocol.
  • Post #377 - August 27th, 2021, 11:13 pm
    Post #377 - August 27th, 2021, 11:13 pm Post #377 - August 27th, 2021, 11:13 pm
    Hi- It is going to be hot tomorrow. People that are not vaccinated are required to wear masks while they are visiting the market. People are also encouraged to practice social distancing. Cocina Azteca and Bennison's are not going to be at the market tomorrow. There should still be lots of peaches tomorrow, as well as lots of tomatoes and corn. Blueberries should be winding down soon. I got the best corn I have had all summer from Nichols last week. I also got wonderful white fleshed peaches from K & K Farms. They had blushing star white fleshed peaches as well as red haven. Blushing Star is one of the varieties my sister Annette the peach breeder developed.

Henry is going to have the last of his watermelons tomorrow, and he will have a ton of tomatoes, and lots of edamame. I bought a quart last week, and they were good. You put them in a pot of boiling salted water, and boil them for five minutes.

Last week the Friends of the Evanston Farmers Market gave a synopsis of a survey they asked the vendors at the Evanston market to fill out. Apparently this last winter the city was considering moving the market to Fountain Square, and so the Friends of the Evanston Market though it would be appropriate to email the vendors a survey which they were asked to fill out. They asked them how important it was to have their truck close to their stand, and how long it took them to set up every week, as well as how much space they required. The great majority of the vendors felt that it was important to have easy access to their truck during the market.

Apparently the idea of moving the market to Fountain Square came about because it was felt that it might boost business in downtown Evanston in general, and some of the businesses in downtown Evanston might be interested in sponsoring the market. I personally think it would be a big mistake to move the market to Fountain Square. There is not nearly enough room to have it there, and the vendors would probably not be able to keep their truck near to their stall. There is some concern that the location where the market is currently held at is not owned by the city, and the owners of the property could decide to build something on the property, which would then make it unavailable to the market. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #378 - September 3rd, 2021, 11:23 pm
    Post #378 - September 3rd, 2021, 11:23 pm Post #378 - September 3rd, 2021, 11:23 pm
    Henry is literally going to have a ton of tomatoes this week. He is running a special on tomatoes. The number 2 tomatoes are going to be $2 a pound or 3/$5. Those have to be used up in a day. His heirloom tomatoes are going to be $4 a pound or 3/$10. His beefsteak tomatoes are going to be $3 a pound or 3/$7.50. Everybody is going to have lots of tomatoes this week. I picked probably at least four pounds of them in my community garden on Wednesday. I am making some salsa right now. This week is probably going to be the last week for the green soybeans. Last week I got a whole quart for $3. I am not use if that was what they were, or if the pints were supposed to be that price instead, and he did not charge me enough money. They were wonderful. You cook them in boiling water for five minutes. Henry is supposed to have some lettuce too this week, and some other greens including kale and komatsuna.

There should still be lots of peaches this week, but this should be the last big week for them, and also blueberries. Corn should be winding down soon too. There are still plenty of peppers. Last week Nichols had a semi deal on red peppers. I think they were maybe 10/$7, but they were huge. Does anybody have a favorite person they purchase melons from? I have been getting them from Jon First, but he did not have any last Saturday, and Nichols only had the tiny melons that were 4/$10. I ended up getting a honeydew from someone else, and it was not ripe enough. Green Acres used to have these fantastic Korean melons, but they are semi retired now and don't come to the market anymore.

Since Christmas presents are going to be more expensive this year, and harder to come by, people should consider giving a share in a CSA. It would be nice if some of the farmers markets sold gift cards that you could use at their market too next summer. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #379 - September 4th, 2021, 1:30 pm
    Post #379 - September 4th, 2021, 1:30 pm Post #379 - September 4th, 2021, 1:30 pm
    I asked Henry today if he had considered promoting CSA's as Christmas presents, and he said he had. He was not aware that Christmas presents are going to be hard to come by. I also suggested he offer gift cards as Christmas presents too.

I ended up getting a watermelon for $5 from Nichols. Both Nichols and Jon First had corn marked down to $5 for a dozen. Jon's corn looked better, and so I got a dozen corn. I am going to Jewel this afternoon, and a friend of mine is kind of on the way. Two years ago I gave her a ride to the farmers market maybe 10 times. Since the pandemic she is more apprehensive about going with me. I just called her up and offered her half a dozen corn, a few peaches, one of Henry's #2 tomatoes, and a few of my cherry tomatoes for $5. I am going to drop them off this afternoon to her. She said the corn at Jewel was awful this week and she passed.
  • Post #380 - September 10th, 2021, 7:48 pm
    Post #380 - September 10th, 2021, 7:48 pm Post #380 - September 10th, 2021, 7:48 pm
    Hi- Myra the market manager just posted on the market's Facebook page that the indoor winter market will take place this winter. I assume at the ecology center and at the Immanuel Lutheran church.

Jackie Mack a realtor in Evanston is giving part of her September commission to six deserving Evanston nonprofits. It is called the Commission Mission Award. The amounts awarded range from $5,000 to $500. People get to vote on her site for which ever nonprofit they want to win. One of the nonprofits nominated is the Friends of the Evanston market. Myra is hoping that people that love the Evanston market will vote for them. If they win one of the prizes, it will be used to help fund the LINK matching program at the Evanston market. This is for people who have a LINK account. The market will match 1:1 any sales at the market made using their LINK funds up to $25.

Henry will have lots of tomatoes tomorrow, and he will be having a few Golden Producer watermelons tomorrow, but you should get there early to get them, and he requests that everybody that purchases of these melons, save the seeds, and give them to Henry next week. Henry also will have some mesclun tomorrow, and will have a special on broccoli raab. 2/$5.

Corn and blueberries should be almost done for the year. Nichols I am sure will have corn tomorrow, but I am not sure if Jon First will have any more. I got a dozen ears of corn from him for $5 last week as the market was closing. Peaches should be winding down soon too.

Has anybody ordered anything online from Lyon's? They have started online ordering, and somehow I started receiving weekly emails from them encouraging me to order from them. I just got an email from them yesterday with a code for $5 off my next purchase. I assume this is only good for online orders, and can't be used to make purchases at the market.
  • Post #381 - September 16th, 2021, 10:18 pm
    Post #381 - September 16th, 2021, 10:18 pm Post #381 - September 16th, 2021, 10:18 pm
    I got an email from Henry today saying that he still has lots of tomatoes, and he is running a peck special, but you have to email him with your order by 3:00pm tomorrow as in Friday. You then go to his stand on Saturday, and see if you were one of the lucky ones to get a peck or two of tomatoes. He has both his #1 and #2 heirlooms and his # 1 and #2 beefsteak tomatoes in this deal. If you are in your 20's or have a child 29 months old or younger, you also get a 20% off jr citizen discount. I think a peck of the #1 beefsteak tomatoes is beefsteak tomatoes is $25, and a peck of the #2 is $12.50. If you factor in the 20% off it is a really good deal. Everybody who ever goes to the Evanston market should get on Henry's email list. Terra sends out a fantastic news letter every Thursday, and usually she sends out another one on Friday to say what Henry is bringing to the market that week.
  • Post #382 - September 18th, 2021, 12:35 pm
    Post #382 - September 18th, 2021, 12:35 pm Post #382 - September 18th, 2021, 12:35 pm
    I forgot to post this yesterday. The Friends of the Evanston Farmer's market is asking people to complete a survey about the farmer's market. It is available at the Friend's table at the market. Some people would like to see the market relocate to Fountain Square. They think it would help the businesses in downtown Evanston. The problem is if they relocate the market it will have to be downsized. There will be less sellers, and each seller will have his or her stall space downsized. The survey that the Friends is doing is asking market customers opinion on all of this. Everybody here that frequents the Evanston market needs to complete the survey, and let the city know that they do not want the market moved. If they move it to Fountain Square, parking will be further away from the market. Part of the problem with their current location is that the parking lot where it is currently located right now, is not owned by the city, and the lot could be developed, which means it would be unavailable for the city to use.

You should also go to the Evanston market's Facebook page, where you will find a link to Jackie Mack's website where you can decide which nonprofit groups in Evanston get her September commission check. Friends of the Evanston Farmer's Market is in the running, and they can win anywhere between $500 and $5,000.
  • Post #383 - September 24th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    Post #383 - September 24th, 2021, 10:01 pm Post #383 - September 24th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    Hi- Henry is bringing lots more tomatoes and more lettuce. His tomatoes are winding down though, and so get them while you can. He is running a 2/$5 special on brocolli raab. He is also running a special on lettuce. If you buy one head of crocoviensis lettuce, you get another head of lettuce of your choice for an additional $2. Henry is going to have lots of chinese cabbages, beets and radishes and peppers. The peppers are also winding down. Henry's sister Teresa is also coming to the market with apples and pears, including some asian pears.

This should be the end of the Michigan peaches, and the end of Nichols corn. The corn has to be cut off on the ends. All late corn has a tendency to have worms, and one of the ears that I got last week had a worm. It was still good corn, but I lost a quarter of it, when I had to chop off the ends where the worms had been feasting.

For those people who have not done the survey the Friends of the Evanston market is compiling should go to their table at the market, and fill it out. 700 people did last week. The Central Business District wants to take over the farmers market from the city, and relocate it to Fountain Square. If they do move it, the market will be downsized, and plus the farmers will be forced to park their trucks in the lot behind the Evanston library, and the market will not start until 10:00 am. The farmers do not want to get relocated, and parking for the market for customers will be further. The Friends is polling people about what they feel about moving the market to Fountain Square. Please fill out the survey, and let the city know that you do not want them to relocate the market. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #384 - September 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Post #384 - September 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm Post #384 - September 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    It looks like lots of people did the survey today. When I mentioned it to Henry's sister Teresa, she did not know that they were thinking about relocating the market, and about the possible 10:00 start time. I could see the number of shoppers dropping if they relocate it, because it is going to be much more crowded. I am sure the downtown business association wants to take it over and relocate it to Fountain Square because all the businesses in downtown Evanston will see an increase in sales. At 11:30 it looked like there were still tons of people shopping at the market today, although a lot of them were just getting crepes or Mexican food. Henry had lots of customers though still at 11:30, and he still had lettuce left by the time I got there, as well as lots of tomatoes and other stuff.
  • Post #385 - September 26th, 2021, 9:21 pm
    Post #385 - September 26th, 2021, 9:21 pm Post #385 - September 26th, 2021, 9:21 pm
    It just occurred to me if they do move the market to Fountain Square, how they are going to deal with the pandemic if it is still going on. If they do move the market, it won't happen until 2023 or later. Apparently some people that work for the city, would like to see the city hand over the market to another entity. The city is trying to focus on service delivery and the market does not fall under that umbrella. The city currently is making money on the market. The Downtown Evanston business association is hoping that moving the market to Fountain Square will increase sales at the businesses currently located near there. E commerce has really hurt a lot of businesses in downtown Evanston.
  • Post #386 - October 1st, 2021, 12:53 am
    Post #386 - October 1st, 2021, 12:53 am Post #386 - October 1st, 2021, 12:53 am
    Hi- I just got an email from Henry about what he is bringing to the market on Saturday. He will still have lots of tomatoes. Pecks of Romas are by preorder only, but if you want pecks of the other tomatoes, Henry will try to put together a peck at the market on Saturday. Henry will also have lots of lettuce and peppers, as well as lots of other greens such as kale and broccoli raab.

For those people that might be interested, on 10/9 at 1:00 pm at McCormick Auditorium at Norris center at Northwestern, the University will be showing Seasons on Henry's Farm, which is a documentary that somebody did a few years ago about Henry. When the movie is over, Henry and his wife, will be doing a Q & A with the audience.

Peaches are about over, although you might find a few at the market this week. Corn is about over too. You should find lots of apples and cider though, and last week I got some bosc pears from K & K Farms. You should also find lots of peppers. I got some peppers a few weeks ago from Nichols, when they had them on sale for 10/$5. There should still be some basil at the market. I still need to make some more pesto, and I will see if Jon First has some more fresh basil. He had some last week.

If anybody did not do the survey last week, please try and do it this week. They have the survey at the friends table, and also at the entrance to the farmers market where they used to count the people as they went in. If they do decide to move the farmers market, it will not happen until at least 2023. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #387 - October 9th, 2021, 7:56 am
    Post #387 - October 9th, 2021, 7:56 am Post #387 - October 9th, 2021, 7:56 am
    Hi- The Season's on Henry's Farm is going to be showing over at McCormick Auditorium at Norris center on Northwestern's campus today. It is located on the first floor of Norris. Norris is located right next to Pick Staiger. The movie starts at 1:00, and afterwards there is going to be a Q & A with Henry and his daughter, and the producer of the movie.

Henry is still going going to have some tomatoes today, but they are winding down. Henry is going to have lots of lettuce and greens such as kale. He is going to have the first of the broccoli too. Henry is going to have some split beets on sale for $1 a pound, and he is going to have some large Chinese cabbage. Henry's sister Teresa is also going to be there with her organic apples and pears. Last time Teresa came, she had #2 apples for $2.50 a quart.

I did buy some more corn from Nichols last week, but I think it is finally over for the year. There should be lots of apples and cider at the market today, and a few tomatoes and peppers. K & K Farms should have lots of raspberries today too. I bought a pint of their raspberries last week. If you have not made pesto yet, you should buy your basil soon. Basil does not tolerate frost at all.

If people have not filled out the survey concerning the market yet, they can head on over to the Evanston market's Facebook page, and there is a link for the survey. There is going to be a meeting taking place in a few weeks concerning whether the market is going to relocate to Fountain Square in a few years. I assume the meeting is going to be zoomed, but lovers of the market are encouraged to attend the meeting. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #388 - October 9th, 2021, 5:57 pm
    Post #388 - October 9th, 2021, 5:57 pm Post #388 - October 9th, 2021, 5:57 pm
    I went to Norris center to see The Seasons on Henry's Farm this afternoon, and I don't even think there were 100 people there. Henry and his daughter and the producer of the movie did a Q & A session after the movie. Somebody asked Henry how he ended up at the Evanston market, and he told her that he was deciding between Lincoln Park, Oak Park and Evanston. Oak Park did not have any openings, and so he decided to try Evanston , and maybe switch to another closer market in a few years. He had such good reception at the Evanston market, that he decided to remain there. Everybody was wearing a mask, and so I had a hard time understanding some of the questions.

I was going to get a half gallon of cider at the market today, and K & K had it for $7 and Jon First had it for $6. I will try to get a gallon next week instead. Henry had some second red peppers he had left over, and so he sold them to me for half price. I noticed that Nichols had spinach today, but I had already bought some mesclin from Henry. I also bought some more corn, but from a different grower. It looked better than what I bought last week from Nichols.
  • Post #389 - October 11th, 2021, 8:09 am
    Post #389 - October 11th, 2021, 8:09 am Post #389 - October 11th, 2021, 8:09 am
    Here is the link to the Evanston Farmers Market survey if anyone is interested in completing it.

Survey
    -Mary
  • Post #390 - October 14th, 2021, 11:03 pm
    Post #390 - October 14th, 2021, 11:03 pm Post #390 - October 14th, 2021, 11:03 pm
    Hi- I just got the email about what Henry is bringing to the farmer's market Saturday. In the email Henry's sister Terra also asks people to contact their Alderman, the city manager and the mayor of Evanston, to let them know that they do not want the city to move the market to Fountain Square. If the market gets relocated, it will move to a much smaller location, which means that the number of vendors will have to be cut. Vendors also will not be able to start setting up until 7:00am, and the market will take place from 10:00am-3:00pm. The vendors will be forced to park their trucks four blocks away at the lot behind the Evanston library. The group that will be taking over the farmer's market has no experience running a farmer's market either. I also don't know how the market would deal with another pandemic too. They would not be enough room for people to social distance.

People should also fill out the survey that the Friends of the Evanston market has put out. There is a link for the survey in the post immediately before this one. The city council is tentatively scheduled to meet this Monday 10/18 at 6:00. The live meetings are not open to the public yet, but they will have an open comment period that people who are signed on to the meeting on line can make via phone. You can also submit comments in advance of the meeting on the city's website.

Henry's tomatoes are winding down, but he is going to have lots of other stuff including lots of greens, purple and green broccoli, parsnips, turnips and winter squash. He is also going to have #2 peppers on sale for $15 a peck, but you must send Henry an email that you would like one. henbcarlo@gmail.com Henry is also going to have a small amount of cornmeal.

There should be a lot of apples, cider and pears at the market. Last week I noticed Nichols had bags of spinach for $5 after I had already bought some lettuce from Henry. There should be lots of raspberries too. I bought a pint of raspberries from K & K Farms last week for $7. I noticed a few growers still had a few watermelons too. There are only four more regular markets taking place. There will be a market the Saturday before Thanksgiving at Immanuel Lutheran church at 616 Lake in Evanston. They will alternate with the Ecology Center for the rest of the winter markets. They will all be held on Saturday mornings. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more