LTH Home

Calling all yogurt makers...

Calling all yogurt makers...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - September 11th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Post #31 - September 11th, 2012, 11:15 am Post #31 - September 11th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:This website is conservative, what surprised me was their expectation to heat the milk to no more than 165 degrees. Until I read it, I had also heated my milk to 180 degrees.

The 165°F step is for pasteurization and is omitted when using commercial pasteurized milk. The NCHFP website recommends heating at 200°F (93°C) for protein denaturization, somewhat higher than usually suggested.

mamagotcha wrote:It's the holding-at-170 that seems to thicken the yogurt up so well, but next time I'll try 165 and see how it does. I don't want to muck about with adding milk powder, but I suspect that holding it at the high temp for a while before dropping to 110 for inoculation and the longer ferment results in some evaporation; essentially, it does the exact same thing as adding the dried milk... increases the ratio of milk solids to liquid.

Evaporation shouldn't be too significant if the pot is covered during heating. A major effect of this step is the thermal denaturation of whey proteins. This results in more stable gel formation as the pH decreases during the 110°F (43°C) incubation. There are other effects too.

In Food Microbiology, Adams & Moss wrote:Before addition of the starter culture, the milk is heated to 80-90°C [176-194°F] for about 30 min. Being well in excess of the normal pasteurization requirements for safety, this has a substantial lethal effect on the microflora. All but heat-resistant spores are eliminated so that the starter culture encounters little by way of competition. The heat process also improves the milk as a growth medium for the starter by inactivating immunoglobulins, expulsion of oxygen to produce a micro-aerophilic environment, and through the release of stimulatory levels of sulfhydryl groups. Excessive heating can however lead to the production of inhibitory levels of these compounds. Heating also promotes interactions between whey or serum proteins and casein which increase the yoghurt viscosity, stabilize the gel and limit syneresis (separation of whey).

mamagotcha wrote:Bring 1/2 gallon whole milk to 180 degrees F (I use a thermometer with an alarm to alert me when it reaches the right temperature).
    Turn flame to as low as it goes and put a lid on the pot, and try to hold it at about 170-180F for about two hours.

I'm curious why you heat your milk for two hours, significantly longer than usually recommended (though your temperature is slightly lower). If you're happy with your procedure, that's all that matters and you ought to stick with it but to some dairy scientists longer isn't better.

In Milk and Milk Products; Technology, Chemistry and Microbiology, Varnam & Sutherland wrote:A further important effect of heating is the increase in hydrophilicity [tendency to interact with water] of the proteins which reduces syneresis [expulsion of whey] and increases gel firmness. This is a consequence of the covalent attachment between κ-casein and β-lactoglobulin which results in a new surface structure with fewer exposed hydrophobic groups. Maximal hydration is obtained by heating milk to 85°C [185°F] for 30 min, the yoghurt produced after this treatment exhibiting true thixotropic [gel-like] behavior. Increasing the severity of heat treatment further increases hydrophobicity and leads to syneresis and a poor quality yoghurt.

Who knew making yogurt was so complex?
  • Post #32 - September 11th, 2012, 4:29 pm
    Post #32 - September 11th, 2012, 4:29 pm Post #32 - September 11th, 2012, 4:29 pm
    I don't think it's the 180 as much as the holding-it-for-an-hour-or-so that aids the thickening. I got the idea here: http://www.thekitchn.com/better-homemad ... ays-125442 (something I found when I was looking for ways to decrease the amount of whey I was finding, yet still not have runny yogurt).

I tried holding it longer after inoculation to thicken it, but it made the yogurt too sour for our tastes. I tried holding it at 170-175 (before inoculation) for one hour, and it was thicker but not ideal. I did it for two hours, and it turned out really creamy and lovely. I'm going to try holding it lower (165) for two hours next time I try it, and see if it makes for a less grucky pan.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #33 - September 18th, 2012, 9:30 am
    Post #33 - September 18th, 2012, 9:30 am Post #33 - September 18th, 2012, 9:30 am
    hey yogurt-makers, I wanted to share this with you: the Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer

my lovely husband gifted this to me for my birthday. It's basically a collapsible home proofing oven for bread dough. It's a box that can hold a relatively low consistent temp (70 - 120°F) for a very long time, and you can add water to make it a humid environment. I know it probably seems like an extravagant clunky uni-tasker, but I loved the bread I made in it over the weekend, and I can't wait to try it on yogurt. I'll let you know how it goes. It's also supposed to be good for tempering chocolate. I also used it to soften butter.
  • Post #34 - September 18th, 2012, 11:19 am
    Post #34 - September 18th, 2012, 11:19 am Post #34 - September 18th, 2012, 11:19 am
    Sorry if the post appears weird. For some reason it blanked out and I am retyping this.

While I *am* going to be looking into that proofer, (please post more reviews!), i have something close and far cheaper - an electric bisker. This is esentially an electric breadbox that in the humid south is used to keep crackers/chips/etc fresh. I put in my bread with a couple of cups of water and it works great. The last time I bought one as a wedding gift, it was $60. When I was living in the south they were $5 at yardsales.

This is what i am using for yoghurt these days
    http://www.harvestessentials.com/mimome72yoma.html?utm_source=amazonproductads&utm_medium=ppc
    Very easy/no cleanup, etc. this and a cheesemold have gotten me away from cream cheese for a spread as well.
  • Post #35 - September 18th, 2012, 1:10 pm
    Post #35 - September 18th, 2012, 1:10 pm Post #35 - September 18th, 2012, 1:10 pm
    will do! I might make a batch of yogurt tomorrow. Of interest to those pondering the holding-for-an-hour-at-180 question, the recipe booklet that came with the proofer recommends holding the milk at 195 for 10 min for a thick custard-like texture.
  • Post #36 - October 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am
    Post #36 - October 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am Post #36 - October 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am
    made a batch last night with the Brod & Taylor proofer, using organic whole milk and Brown Cow plain yogurt to inoculate. I followed the recipe exactly, making 2 16-oz jars of yogurt. One of the jars seems to have separated whey, the other seems solid. The separated one is the one I tilted a few times to check and see if it had firmed up - maybe that's what caused the separation.

For this particular method:
    - the milk was held at 195 for 10 minutes
    - cooled to 115
    - added yogurt
    - held at 120 for 1 hour
    - held at 86 overnight (recipe only indicates 1-4 hours at 86)

the recipe indicated it would set up at 86 after as little as an hour and up to 4 hours, I gave up after 2 hours and went to bed. we'll see how it turns out! Another variation holds the yogurt at 110 for 4-6 hours, skipping the hour at 120.
  • Post #37 - February 13th, 2014, 4:05 pm
    Post #37 - February 13th, 2014, 4:05 pm Post #37 - February 13th, 2014, 4:05 pm
    I bought a quart of Fage on Monday for just under $8. It was gone as of yesterday. An east coast FB friend is snowed in and mentioned making granola and crockpot yogurt. I bought a half gallon of organic whole milk today at Trader Joe's for $3.99. I bought a quart of Chobani whole milk yogurt for $6.49, I think I now know why I was big on making yogurt before.

1/2 gallon of milk is heating in microwave now.

In my best Dunkin' Doughnuts' Manager voice, It is time to make the yogurt!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #38 - February 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm
    Post #38 - February 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm Post #38 - February 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm
    And the end result was so thick and so creamy that you need another spoon to scrape it off of this one. Buying more milk this weekend.
    image.jpg Best Carly Simon singing voice," Anticipation."
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #39 - February 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    Post #39 - February 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm Post #39 - February 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    Looks delicious, Eva!
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #40 - February 18th, 2014, 1:59 pm
    Post #40 - February 18th, 2014, 1:59 pm Post #40 - February 18th, 2014, 1:59 pm
    The recipe and method I use is here. I do add a bit of dried milk powder as the writer used to before she changed her recipe.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #41 - February 22nd, 2014, 9:44 pm
    Post #41 - February 22nd, 2014, 9:44 pm Post #41 - February 22nd, 2014, 9:44 pm
    Made another batch today. Need to pick up some milk and make more on Tuesday. It appears I should use 3 gallons of milk to make yogurt over the weekend to last through the week without needing to hide it.

• Post #42 - February 28th, 2014, 1:29 pm
    Post #42 - February 28th, 2014, 1:29 pm Post #42 - February 28th, 2014, 1:29 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I bought a quart of Fage on Monday for just under $8. It was gone as of yesterday. An east coast FB friend is snowed in and mentioned making granola and crockpot yogurt. I bought a half gallon of organic whole milk today at Trader Joe's for $3.99. I bought a quart of Chobani whole milk yogurt for $6.49, I think I now know why I was big on making yogurt before.

based on the recipes i've seen, is the yield about half of the milk you start with? might start doing this, but if a quart of Chobani is $6.49 and 2 quarts (half gallon) of milk is $3.99, i might be ok with paying Mr. Chobani the 2.49 for labor/time.

further i think i saw that greek yogurt's yield is actually less than half, since you strain it? thanks
  • Post #43 - March 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm
    Post #43 - March 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm Post #43 - March 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm
    dudefella wrote:
    based on the recipes i've seen, is the yield about half of the milk you start with? might start doing this, but if a quart of Chobani is $6.49 and 2 quarts (half gallon) of milk is $3.99, i might be ok with paying Mr. Chobani the 2.49 for labor/time.

further i think i saw that greek yogurt's yield is actually less than half, since you strain it? thanks

It's Greek yogurt that yields about half. My recipe is about 1:1, 4 cups milk plus yogurt starter plus dry milk gives me (ish) 36 oz yogurt.
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #44 - March 2nd, 2014, 2:38 pm
    Post #44 - March 2nd, 2014, 2:38 pm Post #44 - March 2nd, 2014, 2:38 pm
    Diannie wrote:
    dudefella wrote:

It's Greek yogurt that yields about half. My recipe is about 1:1, 4 cups milk plus yogurt starter plus dry milk gives me (ish) 36 oz yogurt.
    . The labor is minimal.

Greek yogurt is half. Regular yogurt is about the same as the amount of milk used.

• Post #45 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:27 am
    Post #45 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:27 am Post #45 - March 3rd, 2014, 10:27 am
    dudefella wrote:and 2 quarts (half gallon) of milk is $3.99

I think I see the problem here.

I'm thinking of taking a stab at making my own yogurt too, but I personally wouldn't pay Trader Joe's $7.98 a gallon for organic milk to make it with.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #46 - March 3rd, 2014, 12:54 pm
    Post #46 - March 3rd, 2014, 12:54 pm Post #46 - March 3rd, 2014, 12:54 pm
    Diannie wrote:It's Greek yogurt that yields about half. My recipe is about 1:1, 4 cups milk plus yogurt starter plus dry milk gives me (ish) 36 oz yogurt.

ah thanks (and to pairs as well). i'll give it a try at least once, since i prefer standard yogurt to greek anyway.
  • Post #47 - March 4th, 2014, 5:00 pm
    Post #47 - March 4th, 2014, 5:00 pm Post #47 - March 4th, 2014, 5:00 pm
    If my math is right, using good milk produces great yogurt for enough less than one would pay in the supermarket.

Assume $5.00 1/2 gallon Kalona 2% (what I use) but I use only 4 cups, so $2.50

plus $.80 for 1 4 oz container of Stonyfield as starter, plus a few cents for 1/2 cup dry milk = $3.00 to produce 32 oz great organic (cream on top) yogurt.

Supermarket prices for one 32 oz container of Stonyfield is roughly $4.50 per.

Ok, I'm not going to get rich making my own yogurt, but the quality is better, I have more control over the ingredients and it happens overnight, while I'm sleeping anyway.
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #48 - July 21st, 2014, 10:44 pm
    Post #48 - July 21st, 2014, 10:44 pm Post #48 - July 21st, 2014, 10:44 pm
    Yogurt fact sheet from the National Center for Home Preservation

They suggest heating milk to no more than 165 degrees. Once culture has been introduced, to keep it at a temperature of 110 +/- 5 degrees for four to seven hours until set.

I have been heating milk to 197 degrees, adding culture once it was less than 130 degrees. This summer, I have wrapped a towel around it to retain heat. In winter, it was kept in an oven at 100 degrees.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #49 - July 22nd, 2014, 9:15 am
    Post #49 - July 22nd, 2014, 9:15 am Post #49 - July 22nd, 2014, 9:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Yogurt fact sheet from the National Center for Home Preservation

They suggest heating milk to no more than 165 degrees. Once culture has been introduced, to keep it at a temperature of 110 +/- 5 degrees for four to seven hours until set.

I was surprised enough by the 165°F recommendation that I checked the link to NCHFP you provide. Sure enough, the 165°F step is for pasteurization of non-commercial milk and is unnecessary when using pasteurized milk. They recommend the usual high-temperature step to partially denature the milk proteins, resulting in a thicker product.

In Fermenting Yogurt at Home, NCHFP’s Brian A Nummer wrote:Heat milk to 200°F, stirring gently and (a) hold for 10 minutes for thinner yogurt or (b) hold 20 minutes for thicker yogurt. Do not boil. Be careful and stir constantly to avoid scorching if not using a double boiler.

I had a sense of déjà vu while writing this post. Indeed, we had the same exchange above.

Rene G wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:This website is conservative, what surprised me was their expectation to heat the milk to no more than 165 degrees. Until I read it, I had also heated my milk to 180 degrees.

The 165°F step is for pasteurization and is omitted when using commercial pasteurized milk. The NCHFP website recommends heating at 200°F (93°C) for protein denaturization, somewhat higher than usually suggested.
  • Post #50 - July 22nd, 2014, 9:24 am
    Post #50 - July 22nd, 2014, 9:24 am Post #50 - July 22nd, 2014, 9:24 am
    This is what I get when I post something when tired, you're right.

Heat milk to 200°F, stirring gently and (a) hold for 10 minutes for thinner yogurt or (b) hold 20 minutes for thicker yogurt. Do not boil. Be careful and stir constantly to avoid scorching if not using a double boiler.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #51 - July 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am
    Post #51 - July 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am Post #51 - July 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am
    Thanks to you-all, I've been seduced into the world of yogurt makers. Here's a question-- can homemade yogurt (slightly thinned with milk as needed) completely replace cultured buttermilk? Both are acidic dairy products. My initial testing in pancakes yesterday indicated that thinned-yogurt makes a great substitute for buttermilk. Any thoughts on whether buttermilk and yogurt are redundant?

Cheers, Jen
  • Post #52 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm
    Post #52 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm Post #52 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm
    Pie-love wrote:Here's a question-- can homemade yogurt (slightly thinned with milk as needed) completely replace cultured buttermilk? Both are acidic dairy products. My initial testing in pancakes yesterday indicated that thinned-yogurt makes a great substitute for buttermilk. Any thoughts on whether buttermilk and yogurt are redundant?

Cultured buttermilk and yogurt have a lot of similarities but are fermented differently and have somewhat different flavor profiles. I'd expect the two would be interchangeable for many cooking applications.

Yogurt is usually made by incubating milk at around 110°F with Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, the former for acid production while the latter provides flavor. For buttermilk (and crème fraîche), various subspecies of Lactococcus lactis and sometimes Leuconostoc mesenteroides are often used and the incubation temperature is around 72°F. These bacteria are chosen for their ability to produce lactic acid as well as plenty of diacetyl, which gives the product its buttery flavor.

But it sounds like you've already answered your question. If it tastes good to you, who cares what others (especially dairy microbiologists!) think?
  • Post #53 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:23 pm
    Post #53 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:23 pm Post #53 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:23 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Pie-love wrote:Here's a question-- can homemade yogurt (slightly thinned with milk as needed) completely replace cultured buttermilk? Both are acidic dairy products. My initial testing in pancakes yesterday indicated that thinned-yogurt makes a great substitute for buttermilk. Any thoughts on whether buttermilk and yogurt are redundant?

Cultured buttermilk and yogurt have a lot of similarities but are fermented differently and have somewhat different flavor profiles. I'd expect the two would be interchangeable for many cooking applications.

Yogurt is usually made by incubating milk at around 110°F with Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, the former for acid production while the latter provides flavor. For buttermilk (and crème fraîche), various subspecies of Lactococcus lactis and sometimes Leuconostoc mesenteroides are often used and the incubation temperature is around 72°F. These bacteria are chosen for their ability to produce lactic acid as well as plenty of diacetyl, which gives the product its buttery flavor.

But it sounds like you've already answered your question. If it tastes good to you, who cares what others (especially dairy microbiologists!) think?

Great information, thanks! I think you're right that they're interchangeable for most cooked applications-- probably only drinking straight and things like buttermilk ranch dressing would show a difference. That would be a fun taste-test-- but it would be unfair to compare homemade yogurt to store-bought buttermilk-- I'll have to get some cultures from New England Cheesemaking next time I place an order.

Cheers, Jen
  • Post #54 - July 23rd, 2014, 12:44 am
    Post #54 - July 23rd, 2014, 12:44 am Post #54 - July 23rd, 2014, 12:44 am
    Pie-Love, I regularly substitute yogurt thinned with milk when a recipe calls for buttermilk and I don't have any on hand. I've been happy with the results.

Most guides that I have seen recommend using half yogurt and half milk. Sometimes my proportions are closer to 2/3 yogurt and 1/3 milk. The only time it should really matter is when a recipe uses buttermilk and baking soda for leavening. In that case, I stick to the half yogurt and half milk substitution.
  • Post #55 - January 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Post #55 - January 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm Post #55 - January 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Reviving...
    I've been making whole milk yogurt fairly often. I use a Eurocuisine yogurt maker:ImageSometimes I use the little jars, sometimes I put in a 1.5 qt Corningware casserole that fits perfectly. Mostly I turn the yogurt into yogurt cheese by straining it until almost no whey remains. Otherwise I use it for cooking and toppings. Since we always have vanilla Activia in the fridge (Ms. R swears by it for digestive problems) I made my starter by making a single jar with 3/4 c milk plus a teaspoon of Activia to eliminate the very strong vanilla taste. Then I've gone multiple generations without restarting.

Lately, to get firmer yogurt, I've been heating to 170-180 in the microwave and holding for around 15 minutes using low power. From the notes above, looks like I might want to go a little hotter and longer for max firmness. I use grocery store whole milk.

Anyone tried using yogurt whey as a starter? That would eliminate the need to sacrifice some cheese production for the next batch. And any advice on yogurt cheese is welcome too. I love the stuff on crackers and bread, just plain or with added herbs or peppers.
  • Post #56 - January 25th, 2023, 7:45 pm
    Post #56 - January 25th, 2023, 7:45 pm Post #56 - January 25th, 2023, 7:45 pm
    tjr wrote:Reviving...
    I've been making whole milk yogurt fairly often. I use a Eurocuisine yogurt maker:ImageSometimes I use the little jars, sometimes I put in a 1.5 qt Corningware casserole that fits perfectly. Mostly I turn the yogurt into yogurt cheese by straining it until almost no whey remains. Otherwise I use it for cooking and toppings. Since we always have vanilla Activia in the fridge (Ms. R swears by it for digestive problems) I made my starter by making a single jar with 3/4 c milk plus a teaspoon of Activia to eliminate the very strong vanilla taste. Then I've gone multiple generations without restarting.

Lately, to get firmer yogurt, I've been heating to 170-180 in the microwave and holding for around 15 minutes using low power. From the notes above, looks like I might want to go a little hotter and longer for max firmness. I use grocery store whole milk.

Anyone tried using yogurt whey as a starter? That would eliminate the need to sacrifice some cheese production for the next batch. And any advice on yogurt cheese is welcome too. I love the stuff on crackers and bread, just plain or with added herbs or peppers.
    While I haven't used whey, I've read it works just fine.

This 30 minute video might provide you some tips.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #57 - January 27th, 2023, 12:28 pm
    Post #57 - January 27th, 2023, 12:28 pm Post #57 - January 27th, 2023, 12:28 pm
    Thanks, Xexo. My takeaways from the Sandor Katz portion of the video:
    • The discussion of a mixed heritage starter vs. starting with commercial yogurt. His experience is that starters made from commercial yogurt can be used for very limited numbers of generations.
    • He heats the milk to 180F and then cools right away, relatively rapidly.
    • He doesn't skim the solidified pieces after scalding. At one point, you can see him stirring these in while cooling.
    • He uses .5% starter to milk.
    • He mentions dehydrating yogurt to make a "gnawable" product. Sounds interesting!

There's another guy who comes on at the end of the video to recap the yogurt making directions. He mentions holding the yogurt at 180F for 10 minutes to 2 hours, experimenting within that range to get a desired texture. But I don't believe Sandor mentions doing so; he shows cooling the milk in a cold water bath right after it reaches temperature.

On the first point, I've found that, while Sandor was limited to 3 or 4 max generations from a commercial yogurt starter, I've gone much farther than that with my Activia starter. That could be due to the supposedly Activia-specific bacteria. Now I'm kind of interested in trying a heritage culture.
  • Post #58 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 pm
    Post #58 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 pm Post #58 - January 27th, 2023, 12:44 pm
    M. TJR, I was reading late last summer and found that White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt was highly recommended to use as a starter, and that it lasts for generations. I found it at the local organic health food store. It made a good yogurt. I used the BBC Slow Cooker bio Yogurt method. It did take a lot longer than the times they listed to get to temp and to cool down with my slow cooker. Also almost 24 longer to actually make the yogurt.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #59 - January 27th, 2023, 12:48 pm
    Post #59 - January 27th, 2023, 12:48 pm Post #59 - January 27th, 2023, 12:48 pm
    Has anyone here tried making yogurt in an Instant Pot yet? I want to try it soon, so this thread's refresher on milk and starter choices is helpful.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #60 - January 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm
    Post #60 - January 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm Post #60 - January 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm
    Xexo wrote:I was reading late last summer and found that White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt was highly recommended to use as a starter, and that it lasts for generations.
    In this area, available at FreshMarket, both whole and nonfat @ $5.99/pint.

Instant Pot is an interesting option. My knockoff Power Quick Pot has an automated yogurt cycle where it heats the milk to 180F, then cools and alarms to add starter at 110F, then ferments for 10 hours. It also has a sous vide feature that could be used to ferment yogurt in jars in a water bath. I haven't tried either.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more