Calling all yogurt makers...

Calling all yogurt makers...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Calling all yogurt makers...

Post #1 - June 13th, 2010, 2:18 pm
    Post #1 - June 13th, 2010, 2:18 pm Post #1 - June 13th, 2010, 2:18 pm
    LTH,

Back in the early seventies, I dabbled with homemade yogurt. My recollection is pretty hazy, due to huge clouds of smoke at that time, but I seem to remember it coming out thick and creamy. Never fooled around with a fancy yogurt maker. Just your basic saucepans and bowls and it worked just fine.

Yesterday, I made yogurt using the same basic method. Combine 7 or so cups water and the appropriate amout of nonfat dry milk. Bring to 180F and cool down to about 100F in a clean bowl before mixing in plain yogurt. (I used Stoneyfield Farms lowfat) 9 hours wrapped in a towel in an oven with light on.

The yogurt thickened fine and tastes great, but seems to be throwing off a lot of watery liquid. So I got the idea of draining it like typical Middle Eastern/Greek recipes. It's getting a lot creamier and thicker and throwing off lots of salty, tangy liquid, which I'm guessing is a pretty healthy thing to ingest.

I'm pleased with the results, but looking to refine the final product. I'm not particularly interested in adding light cream in order to increase the butterfat content. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

So... LTH yogurt makers, I would appreciate your feedback before I make my next batch.

Thanks,

Evil Ronnie
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #2 - June 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Post #2 - June 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm Post #2 - June 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Ron,

I'm not a yogurt maker, though I have made creme fraiche from time to time.

Why did you use dried milk over fresh?

My favorite Stoneyfield is the whole milk with the cream top.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - June 13th, 2010, 3:06 pm
    Post #3 - June 13th, 2010, 3:06 pm Post #3 - June 13th, 2010, 3:06 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Ron,

Why did you use dried milk over fresh?

Cathy,

Because that is how I learned to make yogurt back in the old days. I searched the internet for recipes and found recipes with many different combinations of organic...fresh...fresh + light cream...powdered...etc...Since I often use the powdered milk in baking bread and had it on hand, I thought I'd give the powdered a try.

By the way, the drained yogurt is fantastic - no surprise...even for low fat yogurt. I already have my next batch working. My new obsession.

I will use double the amount of the S.F. yogurt to start this batch.

:twisted:
  • Post #4 - June 14th, 2010, 9:36 pm
    Post #4 - June 14th, 2010, 9:36 pm Post #4 - June 14th, 2010, 9:36 pm
    I've recently made yogurt, actually, and started from milk. It was the simplest thing in the world. I started with some whole milk, added extra powdered nonfat milk to bump up the thickness, heated to 180, cooled to 100-110, added a tablespoon or two of Stoneyfield Farm organic yogurt, put it all into quart jars and then left it sitting in a crappy old griddle overnight on the lowest heat setting, after monitoring for adequate temperature for a couple hours to ensure my griddle didn't get it too hot (surprise, it didn't; stupid griddle). The griddle was my own devising, but everything else was advice from these ol' interwebs. I also recommend a styrofoam cooler outfitted with a 25 watt bulb on a dimmer switch; keep it towards the dim side and it'll keep the box very regularly 90-100 degrees.

Good luck with your yogurt!
  • Post #5 - June 15th, 2010, 5:08 am
    Post #5 - June 15th, 2010, 5:08 am Post #5 - June 15th, 2010, 5:08 am
    Your method sounds fine. I usually use whole milk. Let it boil and cool to about 100F then add the starter yogurt. Keep it a warm spot or in a low temp in the oven overnight. Eight out of ten times it turns out fine(the times it didn't turn out are when the starter was added to soon or too late). With the finished product, there usually is some whey on top but then just drain it or use the whey as a liquid substitute because it's full of health benefits too.
  • Post #6 - June 15th, 2010, 6:56 am
    Post #6 - June 15th, 2010, 6:56 am Post #6 - June 15th, 2010, 6:56 am
    Alton Brown has an episode on yogurt making - he recommends using an electric blanket or heating pad (like you use for a sore back) as the warmer. Interestingly, most recipes seem to have the addback of powdered milk: I wonder if commercial yogurts do, as well.

Yogurt has been on my list to make for some time now. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Post #7 - June 15th, 2010, 7:28 pm
    Post #7 - June 15th, 2010, 7:28 pm Post #7 - June 15th, 2010, 7:28 pm
    LTH,

When I went to strain that first batch, I couldn't find the cheesecloth, so I lined the colander with moistened paper towels, and that worked perfectly.

With yesterday's batch, I became distracted, strained it for too long, and before I knew it, I had labneh.

When I took the following batch out of the oven this morning, I was determined not to mess up the straining, and stayed close to the kitchen. The entire strainng process couldn't have taken more than thirty minutes.

I've been enjoying it topped with stewed prunes and some of the syrup, and then wheat germ sprinkled on top.

• Post #8 - June 16th, 2010, 3:37 pm
    Post #8 - June 16th, 2010, 3:37 pm Post #8 - June 16th, 2010, 3:37 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:I've been enjoying it topped with stewed prunes and some of the syrup, and then wheat germ sprinkled on top.

:shock: There is a point at which you should just break down and visit your doctor.
  • Post #9 - June 16th, 2010, 3:40 pm
    Post #9 - June 16th, 2010, 3:40 pm Post #9 - June 16th, 2010, 3:40 pm
    Mhays wrote:Interestingly, most recipes seem to have the addback of powdered milk: I wonder if commercial yogurts do, as well.

I am of the understanding that most American brands that don't include pectin or gelatin do indeed include powdered milk.
  • Post #10 - June 16th, 2010, 6:24 pm
    Post #10 - June 16th, 2010, 6:24 pm Post #10 - June 16th, 2010, 6:24 pm
    MincyBits wrote:
    Evil Ronnie wrote:I've been enjoying it topped with stewed prunes and some of the syrup, and then wheat germ sprinkled on top.

:shock: There is a point at which you should just break down and visit your doctor.

MincyBits,

I was waiting for a prune wisecrack. Thanks. I can't be the only LTHer who loves stewed prunes.

Thank G-d for FiberCon!

Actually, I want to use the yogurt next for this recipe. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127853185

• Post #11 - June 16th, 2010, 7:07 pm
    Post #11 - June 16th, 2010, 7:07 pm Post #11 - June 16th, 2010, 7:07 pm
    I LOVE yogurt and make Kefir quite often. I do spend a little extra money on the milk and buy Oberweiss milk as I am not a milk drinker and a half gallon will last a couple of days around my house. The runny yogurt has happend to me in the past if my fermentation temperature was a touch too warm or I let it go a couple of hours longer than needed. Also, skim or 2% seem to do the same. Kefir is even easier than milk as you make it on the counter top but you need to find someone whom is willing to share a crystal as the Kefir culture is kind of cultish (and cultured!). A while back I spent a little extra money and bought good cultures and have made butter milk, creme fraiche, and sourdoughs. I bought them at cultures for health and was happy with the vibrant starters. I use an excalibur dehydrator to make my ferments as it seems to hold a perfect temperature for sour doughs and yogurt but some strains you do not need to heat as the counter top is perfect.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/splash.php
  • Post #12 - February 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm
    Post #12 - February 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm Post #12 - February 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm
    HI,

I am making yogurt according to this Harold McGee article.

I heated the milk to 180 degrees, though I could have gone as high as 190 degrees. The milk is cooling, though I tasted it to find it tastes somewhat scorched. At what temperature will milk scorch?

To avoid this in the future, should I have been stirring the milk while heating? I was stirring it somewhat with a thermometer, though perhaps not enough.

I'm going to use it, because I hate the idea of wasting 6 cups of milk. I simply don't want to repeat this.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #13 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
    Post #13 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm Post #13 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
    Stirring might be it. I heat the milk to 185 and stir constantly to keep it from burning. Then I cool it to about 130 before I add some powdered milk (for body) and yogurt as starter. It is at about 125 when I put it into the yogurt maker. I use 2%, not whole milk, hence the powdered milk to make up for the lower fat.

Farmers is my favorite milk for yogurt making. If I need to buy a starter, I use a Greek yogurt.
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #14 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:12 pm
    Post #14 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:12 pm Post #14 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:12 pm
    HI,

Thanks.

I think I also impatiently turned up the heat too high. I should have been more patient.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #15 - February 3rd, 2011, 1:13 am
    Post #15 - February 3rd, 2011, 1:13 am Post #15 - February 3rd, 2011, 1:13 am
    Newbie, here. Guess I should introduce myself before I do my brain dump. ;) I love to cook and riff on recipes and food in general. I found this forum when searching for a recipe that got a hit here. Looked like a fun spot, so I registered :D .

Anyhoo, I learned to make yoghurt from a little, old (even at the time I bought it years ago) "Arab" cookbook which gave only the vaguest instructions based on how bedouins made it on their camels or something, IOW, wild, airborne cultures -- same as old timey sourdough starter.

The instructions were to "scald" the milk, then drain it. Hmmm. Ahem. :?

Based on that, I simply dumped my milk in a stainless steel stock pot, heated it over medium heat, with a minimum of stirring, just enough so it wouldn't scorch, until bubbles began to form around the edges. This was how I'd learned to scald milk at my granny's knee, when she was teaching me to make bread.

That first time was pretty exciting. I did a little extrapolating, could see it was going to need to firm up before I could drain it. So, I left it to rest until it started to set up. The book didn't say anything about covering it, of course, but I didn't think I wanted quite that much wild life in my yoghurt, so, I draped a layer or two of cheesecloth over the pot, put a giant rubber band on to hold it, and let 'er rip.

When it was "clotted" and beginning to crack, I drained it through a collander lined with more cheesecloth -- sometimes I add a little salt at this point. I now know to save the whey, but that first batch just went down the drain. Since I really only make yoghurt for yoghurt cheese, mine gets a long drain time. When it starts to get "solid" enough that I can twist the cheesecloth into a ball without squeezing my yoghurt out the mesh, I tie the corners together and suspend it in the stockpot by a slipping a wooden spoon through the knot.

After it drains at room temp overnight, I let it continue to drain in the fridge for a day, at least, maybe two, to firm it up enough for rolling into balls. I still do it that way. I did once add some natural Greek yoghurt to the scalded milk, and that batch set up faster and had a bit more tang to it, but for my purposes, it wasn't necessary.

From my experience, the higher fat content, of course the thicker and firmer the yoghurt, but also the milder. I'm guessing that's because it takes longer to get to yoghurt with lower fat content??? I did experiment with whipping cream once and got something that I called cream cheese, maybe not exactly, but close.
  • Post #16 - February 3rd, 2011, 9:43 am
    Post #16 - February 3rd, 2011, 9:43 am Post #16 - February 3rd, 2011, 9:43 am
    Hi,

Thanks for the additional information.

I kept the yogurt in my oven set to 'bread,' which maintained a steady 100 degrees. At about 3.5 hours, it was already quite firm. I took it out and put it in the refrigerator, based on this comment from the Harold McGee article:

Once the yogurt sets, refrigerate it to firm its structure and slow the continuing acid production. To make a thick Greek-style yogurt, spoon it into a fine-mesh strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth, and let the whey and its lactic acid drain into a bowl for several hours. (Don’t discard the whey, whose yellow-green tint comes from riboflavin. It makes a refreshing cool drink, touched up with a little sugar or salt.)

It was thicker this morning than when I last saw it last night. I have it straining through a cheesecloth on the counter. If I did not have that article's comments, I might have begun straining after I took it from the oven.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - February 12th, 2011, 10:22 pm
    Post #17 - February 12th, 2011, 10:22 pm Post #17 - February 12th, 2011, 10:22 pm
    HI,

I made a second batch of yogurt, this time I did not scorch the milk.

I reminded my family to leave 2-4 tablespoons in the container to allow a third batch. I returned this evening to find barely a teaspoon left. After I got over being somewhat annoyed, I realized I still had some active culture left. I had two options: 1) Scale down the volume of milk to make a new Mother-batch, or 2) Add 6 cups of milk, then let it sit much longer for the active culture population to build. Not quite sure how long it may take for option two to get to critical mass, I went with option one.

I learned you can buy active cultures specifically for making yogurt. A friend mentioned buying a dried yogurt starter in a healthfood store that made excellent yogurt. He said you can make three or four batches, before the carefully selected culture dilutes enough these special qualities effectively disapear.

Has anyone bought any yogurt cultures they can recommend?

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #18 - February 12th, 2011, 11:07 pm
    Post #18 - February 12th, 2011, 11:07 pm Post #18 - February 12th, 2011, 11:07 pm
    Cathy2 posted:
    Once the yogurt sets, refrigerate it to firm its structure and slow the continuing acid production. To make a thick Greek-style yogurt, spoon it into a fine-mesh strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth, and let the whey and its lactic acid drain into a bowl for several hours. (Don’t discard the whey, whose yellow-green tint comes from riboflavin. It makes a refreshing cool drink, touched up with a little sugar or salt.)

Cathy,

Based on my experience last year, you might want to go with much shorter draining time. Here is what I posted in this thread last June:

"When I went to strain that first batch, I couldn't find the cheesecloth, so I lined the colander with moistened paper towels, and that worked perfectly. With yesterday's batch, I became distracted, strained it for too long, and before I knew it, I had labneh.

When I took the following batch out of the oven this morning, I was determined not to mess up the straining, and stayed close to the kitchen. The entire strainng process couldn't have taken more than thirty minutes."

So, from my experience, more like 30 or so minutes to get to Greek yoghurt thickness. Hope this helps.

• Post #19 - March 1st, 2011, 9:28 am
    Post #19 - March 1st, 2011, 9:28 am Post #19 - March 1st, 2011, 9:28 am
    HI,

I gave up heating milk on the stove. I now heat it in the microwave. At the very least, I avoid scorched pots.

When I overdrained, I stirred back some of the wey to a preferred consistency.

I bought some homemade yogurt at a Greek store. It was too tangy for me. Presently I am liking the less tangy Indian yogurt where my culture derived from. I am now at least five generations from the Mother, is it really the same population? Not sure, not going to think about it too much. :)

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #20 - March 4th, 2012, 3:38 pm
    Post #20 - March 4th, 2012, 3:38 pm Post #20 - March 4th, 2012, 3:38 pm
    just made my first batch of homemade yogurt and it turned out great! I wish it had turned out a little more tangy, so i will ferment longer next time.

I set up a double boiler (large metal bowl over stockpot) to heat up the milk. whisked occasionally. (Kilgus 2% plus a splash of Kilgus heavy cream - I like full-fat yogurt)

in the meantime, i filled to about 2/3rds my little mini six-pack cooler with hot water and placed it on the floor near the radiator.

after heating the milk to 180 and then cooling it to 110, I mixed in a bit of Kalona Supernatural plain 5% yogurt for my starter. I put the mixture in a quart mason jar and lightly screwed on the lid.

After making sure the temp of the water bath in the cooler was down to near 110, I placed the jar in there. I couldn't close the cooler lid with the jar inside, so I covered it with foil then a towel weighted down with some dried beans.

8 hours later I put the jar in the fridge. Next morning it had a great cream layer and tasted mild and delicious. It was fairly thick at first then had a thinner consistency after I stirred in the cream layer.

Michael Ruhlman says to ferment for 18-24 hours. That sounds really long to me, but I do want a tangier yogurt, so i will ferment at least 12 hours next time.
  • Post #21 - March 5th, 2012, 8:51 am
    Post #21 - March 5th, 2012, 8:51 am Post #21 - March 5th, 2012, 8:51 am
    I used to do my own yogurt, and you've all inspired me to pick it up again. Love that Harold McGee article, thanks for the link!
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #22 - March 5th, 2012, 11:09 pm
    Post #22 - March 5th, 2012, 11:09 pm Post #22 - March 5th, 2012, 11:09 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I gave up heating milk on the stove. I now heat it in the microwave. At the very least, I avoid scorched pots.

Genius! How long did you cook in the microwave and at what temp? Oh and what quantity? I assume you used whole milk.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #23 - March 5th, 2012, 11:28 pm
    Post #23 - March 5th, 2012, 11:28 pm Post #23 - March 5th, 2012, 11:28 pm
    Hi,

On my microwave, there is a setting for heating water for coffee and tea.

I used a one quart glass measuring cup filled with milk. I set the microwave to heat milk for three cups instead of four, especially since I was heating to 180. Once the milk has finished this cycle, I take its temperature and may add some additional time. This additional time may be in 30-second shots.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - March 6th, 2012, 4:48 pm
    Post #24 - March 6th, 2012, 4:48 pm Post #24 - March 6th, 2012, 4:48 pm
    Back before my father died I made him yogurt with one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Milk-Cart ... 82&sr=8-35
    It couldn't be easier.

I often made "cheese" out of it with one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Donvier- ... pd_sim_k_2

There was also a set of mesh strainers that were just like a coffee filter but washable, but I cannot find them.

And for reference, I put the unhealthy cranrasins (full of sugar) in mine.
  • Post #25 - September 10th, 2012, 9:08 am
    Post #25 - September 10th, 2012, 9:08 am Post #25 - September 10th, 2012, 9:08 am
    Hi,

Looking to give a link on making sauerkraut to my sister, I found my favorite food preservation website has an article on making yogurt: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/yogurt.html

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #26 - September 10th, 2012, 9:40 am
    Post #26 - September 10th, 2012, 9:40 am Post #26 - September 10th, 2012, 9:40 am
    I was getting frustrated with how much of my yogurt was turning to whey and draining off (or puddling in the bowl), so I looked around to find ways to thicken it. My current weekly routine, which now results in a good, firm yogurt with a minimum of whey:

Bring 1/2 gallon whole milk to 180 degrees F (I use a thermometer with an alarm to alert me when it reaches the right temperature).
    Turn flame to as low as it goes and put a lid on the pot, and try to hold it at about 170-180F for about two hours.
    Turn off flame and let cool to 110F (I use an ice bath if I'm in a hurry)
    Stir in a few tablespoons of yogurt from my last batch.
    Strain into a glass bowl with a lid that seals, and put into insulated tote bag with a heating pad on Low wrapped in a towel for about 6 hours.
    Refrigerate.

It's not quite as thick as Greek yogurt, but it's got a bright, clear taste without mucking around with milk powder or gelatin or anything else.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #27 - September 10th, 2012, 9:55 am
    Post #27 - September 10th, 2012, 9:55 am Post #27 - September 10th, 2012, 9:55 am
    mamagotcha,

I don;t know if you checked my link.

This website is conservative, what surprised me was their expectation to heat the milk to no more than 165 degrees. Until I read it, I had also heated my milk to 180 degrees.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - September 10th, 2012, 10:46 am
    Post #28 - September 10th, 2012, 10:46 am Post #28 - September 10th, 2012, 10:46 am
    Hi, Cathy! Yes, I did check your link, which inspired me to post my recipe after six months of refinement. It's the holding-at-170 that seems to thicken the yogurt up so well, but next time I'll try 165 and see how it does. I don't want to muck about with adding milk powder, but I suspect that holding it at the high temp for a while before dropping to 110 for inoculation and the longer ferment results in some evaporation; essentially, it does the exact same thing as adding the dried milk... increases the ratio of milk solids to liquid.

Or was there something else I missed that you were hoping would penetrate my thick skull? :lol:

• Post #29 - September 10th, 2012, 12:03 pm
    Post #29 - September 10th, 2012, 12:03 pm Post #29 - September 10th, 2012, 12:03 pm
    HI,

Nope, it was the 165 temp I was pointing out.

I've never used powered milk for making yogurt, which some seem to use when using low to no fat milk. I usually use whole milk.

My oven has a bread proofing mode at 100 degrees, which I also use for yogurt. I see they suggest 110 degrees, well I hope for the best that 100 will also do the trick.

Regards,
  • Post #30 - September 11th, 2012, 11:00 am
    Post #30 - September 11th, 2012, 11:00 am Post #30 - September 11th, 2012, 11:00 am
    Hi all, I've been making yoghurt for the last couple of years using a wide-mouth Stanley thermos. I'll heat the milk (I like low pasteurized whole milk, and I can usually find the Kalona Super Natural brand around) to 165, let it cool to 110, add 1 tablespoon of my previous yoghurt / cup of milk into the thermos, and cap it overnight. Using the thermos keeps the heat in and you don't have to worry about keeping an oven / heater on all night. Super easy & I've had really good results. Although, after reading this thread I think I'll try heating the milk to 180 to see if I can get a thicker yoghurt.

Also, I just switched over to using a Greek yoghurt starter I bought online at culturesforhealth.com. I'm getting a slightly thicker, tangier product than I was using a scoop of regular store-brand. Also, I think I read it in a Sandor Katz book, but supposedly the heirloom cultures have a more varied and beneficial probiotic flora, and will last through more generations. My batch is still new, but so far I've been really pleased with the product.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more