LTH Home

Ode to Feta cheese!

Ode to Feta cheese!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm
    Post #31 - August 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm Post #31 - August 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm
    Joy wrote:BaconButt, thanks for the tip about Saveur! The Saveur website has some great recipes including a ridiculously-easy-sounding feta tart.

I generally find Saveur recipes pretty hit or miss, but one of my biggest hits was the Shrimp with Feta. It cooks for a long time, which is odd for shrimp, but nevertheless is absolutely delicious.
  • Post #32 - August 25th, 2011, 3:30 pm
    Post #32 - August 25th, 2011, 3:30 pm Post #32 - August 25th, 2011, 3:30 pm
    I generally find Saveur recipes pretty hit or miss, but one of my biggest hits was the Shrimp with Feta. It cooks for a long time, which is odd for shrimp, but nevertheless is absolutely delicious.

We make a baked fish, shrimp, and feta casserole with stewed tomatoes, pearl onions, garlic, white wine, and parsley. Boil up some orzo pasta to use as base and it's really nice.
    Coming to you from Leiper's Fork, TN where we prefer forking to spooning.
  • Post #33 - August 26th, 2011, 7:28 am
    Post #33 - August 26th, 2011, 7:28 am Post #33 - August 26th, 2011, 7:28 am
    Rick T. wrote:

We make a baked fish, shrimp, and feta casserole with stewed tomatoes, pearl onions, garlic, white wine, and parsley. Boil up some orzo pasta to use as base and it's really nice.

I make something similar with orzo, garlic, green onion, pimento, basil, feta and shrimp. I found it in an old Cooking Light magazine but have varied it greatly depending on what I have on hand.
  • Post #34 - March 31st, 2022, 8:19 am
    Post #34 - March 31st, 2022, 8:19 am Post #34 - March 31st, 2022, 8:19 am
    Whipped goat/sheep feta on garlic rubbed toast topped with shallot, garlic, basil, red vinegar marinated cherry tomatoes. Tasty!

click to enlarge

Feta, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - March 31st, 2022, 9:25 am
    Post #35 - March 31st, 2022, 9:25 am Post #35 - March 31st, 2022, 9:25 am
    G Wiv wrote:Whipped goat/sheep feta on garlic rubbed toast topped with shallot, garlic, basil, red vinegar marinated cherry tomatoes. Tasty!

Feta, count me a Fan!

Looks delicious!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #36 - April 1st, 2022, 9:22 am
    Post #36 - April 1st, 2022, 9:22 am Post #36 - April 1st, 2022, 9:22 am
    Feta cheese commonly seen for sale of US origin is too sharp and salty usually.
    Fresh Farms Touhy has a very nice selection of Feta in bulk.
    We have settled on Dodonis, a sheep/goat Feta with barrel aged taste.
    another favorite is the Bulgarian Triple Cream.
    Note: this is not the common Dodonis brand Feta.
    You can get lost sampling the number of varieties of Feta at Fresh Farms!
    -Richard
  • Post #37 - April 1st, 2022, 9:39 am
    Post #37 - April 1st, 2022, 9:39 am Post #37 - April 1st, 2022, 9:39 am
    budrichard wrote:Feta cheese commonly seen for sale of US origin is too sharp and salty usually.
    Fresh Farms Touhy has a very nice selection of Feta in bulk.
    We have settled on Dodonis, a sheep/goat Feta with barrel aged taste.
    another favorite is the Bulgarian Triple Cream.
    Note: this is not the common Dodonis brand Feta.
    You can get lost sampling the number of varieties of Feta at Fresh Farms!
    -Richard

Re: Dodoni . . . at Fresh Farms, it's available in bulk at the deli counter, and also in several sizes in the prepackaged cheese section near the dairy, not the section near most of the other cheeses. It's also available at Costco, 28-ounce tub for ~$14, which is a very good price. Good stuff.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #38 - April 2nd, 2022, 6:50 am
    Post #38 - April 2nd, 2022, 6:50 am Post #38 - April 2nd, 2022, 6:50 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Re: Dodoni . . . at Fresh Farms, it's available in bulk at the deli counter

Ronnie, Budrichard,

This is what I typically use, Fresh Farms Niles, I like the goat/sheep combo.

Used leftover whipped feta in a breakfast omelette, plus a small ball of burrata for good measure = breakfast.

click to enlarge

Whipped feta, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - April 2nd, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Post #39 - April 2nd, 2022, 12:34 pm Post #39 - April 2nd, 2022, 12:34 pm
    For a mild, very creamy feta that's good as a spread on its own, the double cream often on sale at Shop-n-Save is darn good. I like the regular Bulgarian from there or Montrose Market for salads, or for mixing into yogurt cheese as a dip. But that's too salty for me to eat plain on bread, unless I'm seriously craving salt.

Isn't the sheep/goat blend at Fresh Farms from Denmark or somewhere in northern Europe? Not that that's a bad thing if it is.
  • Post #40 - April 2nd, 2022, 5:14 pm
    Post #40 - April 2nd, 2022, 5:14 pm Post #40 - April 2nd, 2022, 5:14 pm
    Fresh Farms has an extensive array of Greek Feta and the Dodonis is from Greece.
    I don't recall any Feta from Denmark?
    What I look for is a barrel aged sheep/goat Feta and Fresh Farms will give you taste to help you decision.
    -Richard
  • Post #41 - April 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm
    Post #41 - April 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm Post #41 - April 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm
    My feta go-to is the Bulgarian at Harvestime—I can’t get it as often as I used to, now that I’m living in Valpo, but it’s just the right amount of creaminess, tang and salt and definitely value-priced.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more