LTH Home

In desperate need of better cookie sheets

In desperate need of better cookie sheets
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • In desperate need of better cookie sheets

Post #1 - November 21st, 2010, 7:51 am
    Post #1 - November 21st, 2010, 7:51 am Post #1 - November 21st, 2010, 7:51 am
    We got some cookie sheets from Williams Sonoma a few years ago, and we hate them. It appears that once we spray them with Pam, it later hardens and never washes off. Same for some jelly roll pans we received at the same time. When I don't spray the cookie sheet, there is forever a mark left on them where the baked cookies were prior to being removed with a spatula. I also don't think things bake so well on them, but that could be the fault of the baker. :oops:

Does anyone have recommendations for a great cookie sheet? I haven't tried Silpat, so I suppose that's an option, but surely there has to be some traditional cookie sheet out there that's good. I vaguely recall using some darker brown cookie sheets in my youth that worked great (maybe by Chicago metallic), and I'd love to find something like those, but have no idea what brand they were.

Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Post #2 - November 21st, 2010, 9:14 am
    Post #2 - November 21st, 2010, 9:14 am Post #2 - November 21st, 2010, 9:14 am
    Hi,

I've had my Doughmakers cookie sheets and jellyroll pan for about 8 years and they are still in great shape. Trick is not to spray or grease them in any way as they are designed to be non-stick. I always hand wash them as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Doughmakers-Grand ... B0000CFTWY
  • Post #3 - November 21st, 2010, 10:28 am
    Post #3 - November 21st, 2010, 10:28 am Post #3 - November 21st, 2010, 10:28 am
    rehorn wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for a great cookie sheet? I haven't tried Silpat, so I suppose that's an option, but surely there has to be some traditional cookie sheet out there that's good. I vaguely recall using some darker brown cookie sheets in my youth that worked great (maybe by Chicago metallic), and I'd love to find something like those, but have no idea what brand they were.

Any ideas? Thanks!

For most cookies and such we use simple Vollrath half sheet pans. We picked them up for $5/each at northwestern cutlery a couple years back. They're cheap, but thick enough that they're durable and conduct heat evenly. We always use parchment paper, never spray, but these would probably work fine either way.

We also have (and love) Chicago Metallic's 13.5x9.5 cookie sheets, both nonstick and regular. These get much less use, but they're excellent pans.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #4 - November 21st, 2010, 10:57 am
    Post #4 - November 21st, 2010, 10:57 am Post #4 - November 21st, 2010, 10:57 am
    We got some of the Lincoln foodservice half sheet pans a few years ago and they have held up well with LOTS of use. I think we got them off Amazon. I don't use non-stick but I have a couple half-sheet Silpats that I often use with these.
  • Post #5 - November 21st, 2010, 3:05 pm
    Post #5 - November 21st, 2010, 3:05 pm Post #5 - November 21st, 2010, 3:05 pm
    thaiobsessed wrote:We got some of the Lincoln foodservice half sheet pans a few years ago and they have held up well with LOTS of use. I think we got them off Amazon. I don't use non-stick but I have a couple half-sheet Silpats that I often use with these.

i'd also recommend buying lincoln food service 1/2 sheet pans (online). cook's illustrated magazine recently rated cookie sheets and picked lincoln over all others. i have them myself and am very happy with them. whatever sheets you use, try parchment paper rather than PAM. that stuff is hard to remove. justjoan
  • Post #6 - November 21st, 2010, 5:14 pm
    Post #6 - November 21st, 2010, 5:14 pm Post #6 - November 21st, 2010, 5:14 pm
    Thanks so much for all the great responses!!
  • Post #7 - December 23rd, 2021, 11:59 am
    Post #7 - December 23rd, 2021, 11:59 am Post #7 - December 23rd, 2021, 11:59 am
    If you have muffin pans, you may not need the cookie sheets. The Christmas Baking Trick That Makes Any Cookie Fancy.

I have not yet tried this, though I am itching to do it.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #8 - January 10th, 2022, 12:48 am
    Post #8 - January 10th, 2022, 12:48 am Post #8 - January 10th, 2022, 12:48 am
    I just looked at Cook's Illustrated website, and their favorite cookie sheet is the Vollrath Wear Ever cookie sheet. They are made in Wisconsin. I just looked on Amazon though and they are $25. They are supposed to weigh a ton too.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more