LTH Home

Woodman's-Should I make the trip?

Woodman's-Should I make the trip?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Is Woodman's worth the 85 mile drive from Chicago? Poll ended at January 20th, 2011, 2:58 pm
    Yes, of course it's worth the trip!
    36%
    Nah, save the gas & shop locally!
    64%
    Total votes : 11
  • Post #31 - November 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am
    Post #31 - November 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am Post #31 - November 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am
    Like Katie, we make our jaunt across the border a multi-stop journey. We go a bit north east to shop at Tenuta's. Some of their alcohol prices are cheaper than Woodman's and vice a versa. (Point Special is a better deal at Woodman's) IIRC, I recently bought New Glarus Spotted Cow at Tenuta's for $8.29 a six pack. I thought that Woodman's spirits (bourbon, vodka) were priced a bit higher too. I like Tenuta's because I can use a credit card. But service at Tenuta's is a bit gruff.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #32 - November 2nd, 2017, 2:59 pm
    Post #32 - November 2nd, 2017, 2:59 pm Post #32 - November 2nd, 2017, 2:59 pm
    Katie wrote:(3) gas is cheaper in Wisconsin than in Illinois, so I fill up before I head back. Ideally at the Costco just down the road from Woodman's, where gas is even cheaper than at the stations near the highway.

The last two visits, Woodman's gas was cheaper than the Costco, which is located further east on Highway 50.

Some years ago, I read the local Kenosha paper on the special gas tax zone on both sides of the Illinois and Wisconsin border. It was done to keep gas stations on both sides of the border profitable. From my experience, it teeter totters between one side or the other being cheaper or just about the same.

An aside: the last time I visited Cairo, Illinois just about every gas station was out of business, because the price was more favorable on the other side of the state border. The economy is so depressed there, I wonder if this arrangement similar to the IL-WI border would have a chance to work.

Since I now use gasbuddy, I check where to buy gas in advance. I do like my cheap gas.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - August 22nd, 2021, 8:36 pm
    Post #33 - August 22nd, 2021, 8:36 pm Post #33 - August 22nd, 2021, 8:36 pm
    Hi,

Today I was in the Bloomingdale area, which had a new Woodman's open less than two weeks ago. I stopped in to see if there were any newly opened store loss leaders.

This new Woodman's is effectively an anchor store located where Macy's once stood in Stratford Mall. I happened to enter where Sear's was once located, there was no life to be seen. I felt better once I rounded the corner where Kohl's is located, because first impression was of a ghost town.

Woodman's parking lot was packed. I met at least two people in the parking lot who could not remember where they parked. There are three major entrances, so it is possible to get disoriented. If I were leaving, I would have offered to drive around looking.

Once in the store, the look, feel and layout was very similar to the Buffalo Grove location I regularly visit. I have a sense this store is bigger, though I have nothing more than a gut feeling to support it. The Lakemoor Woodman's is definitely larger than Buffalo Grove.

Walking into the store, they had watermelons for $1.99 and bags with five large organic avocados for 99 cents. When I grabbed two bags of avocados, the gentlemen next to me asked if this was really the price. "I expect it is and will return it, if it is not." I love loss leaders!

I was a bit handicapped not having a cooler with me. Plus I have food that needs to be eaten sooner than later, so I did not go overboard.

Woodman's gas station is smaller than Buffalo Grove. Fuel today was $2.99 a gallon, while my location recently was $3.15. When I drove by Buffalo Grove later, it was $1.99, too.

On the outer rim of the mall area where perhaps a Best Buy might have had a stand alone location, there was a retail building repurposed into a church. I did not do a full drive around, though I wondered if I might encounter any medical offices I read have begun to locate in malls.

Today's visit was just as much about the changing face of retail malls. Never expected a grocery store to be an anchor store, though it certainly draws people to the location. It will be interesting to see what creative thinking goes to redefining the Sear's location.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #34 - August 22nd, 2021, 9:57 pm
    Post #34 - August 22nd, 2021, 9:57 pm Post #34 - August 22nd, 2021, 9:57 pm
    Interesting that grocery stores have begun to reappear in malls. My recollection of malls in the 1960's is that they often included supermarkets.

And interesting to read page 1 of this with all the old opinions about Woodman's. Realized that I've been shopping at Woodman's for over 40 years. Somebody here can probably beat that if they lived near Beloit or Janesville in the 1970's.

I think Woodman's produce was better in the 1980's. I recall wonderful fresh bulk pea pods for under $2/lb as an example. They seemed to emphasize produce more at that time, and possibly at the store I shopped at (LaCrosse, WI). Now the produce selection is pretty mundane.
  • Post #35 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:17 am
    Post #35 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:17 am Post #35 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:17 am
    tjr wrote:Interesting that grocery stores have begun to reappear in malls. My recollection of malls in the 1960's is that they often included supermarkets.

Golf Mill had Shop & Save until recently, which was originally a National when the mall opened.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #36 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:52 am
    Post #36 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:52 am Post #36 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:52 am
    JoelF wrote:
    tjr wrote:Interesting that grocery stores have begun to reappear in malls. My recollection of malls in the 1960's is that they often included supermarkets.

Golf Mill had Shop & Save until recently, which was originally a National when the mall opened.

At Stratford Mall, Woodman's is very much a prominent anchor store visible when entering from Gary Avenue. Whereas Shop and Save was hidden in the rear at Golf Mill, which I came to learn about by accident.

My awareness of Woodman's (not Shop and Save .... ugh) was from the Kenosha location. Just from the name, I assumed it was a supersized hardware store. One year when driving up for smelt in Port Washington, surrounding the name was scattered images of fruits and vegetables. On our way home, we stopped by to take a look. Many of my Master Gardner friends who lived closer to the boarder went to Woodman's at least once a month as a stock up store. This was and is especially attractive with zero tax on food. I estimate my shopping adventures began in the late 80s to early 90s.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #37 - August 23rd, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Post #37 - August 23rd, 2021, 1:46 pm Post #37 - August 23rd, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Shop & Save at Golf Mill (and the previous tenants) was a little more prominently visible before some of the additions went up -- the enclosing of the mall didn't do much, but the Circuit City (which became an OTB outlet, now vacant), and AMC theaters do a good job of hiding it. I lived nearby when I was 4-5, it was one of our primary grocery shopping places, along with the Jewel on Dempster, and the Dominick's opposite (where the Toyota dealer is now). The other grocers in the area did not exist (Tony's was built as a replacement Dominick's, Fresh Farms on Golf was a Dominick's too, but much later than when I was a kid, Assi Plaza was something else too, I think, built in the 80's?)
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #38 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:45 pm
    Post #38 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:45 pm Post #38 - August 23rd, 2021, 7:45 pm
    The long shuttered Dixie Square Mall had a Jewel as one of its anchors. You can see it in the classic car chase scene through the mall in The Blues Brothers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIdGxR-aU6o
  • Post #39 - August 23rd, 2021, 10:48 pm
    Post #39 - August 23rd, 2021, 10:48 pm Post #39 - August 23rd, 2021, 10:48 pm
    At Golf Mill, was there ever access from inside the mall to the Shop n Save location? I know there wasn't for its last 5 years or so.

Not having inside access kinda defeats the "family goes to the mall, Dad goes to Sears to look at tools or tires, kids go to the arcade or Sam Goody's, Mom goes to the grocery" thing.
  • Post #40 - August 24th, 2021, 7:08 am
    Post #40 - August 24th, 2021, 7:08 am Post #40 - August 24th, 2021, 7:08 am
    tjr wrote:At Golf Mill, was there ever access from inside the mall to the Shop n Save location? I know there wasn't for its last 5 years or so.

Not having inside access kinda defeats the "family goes to the mall, Dad goes to Sears to look at tools or tires, kids go to the arcade or Sam Goody's, Mom goes to the grocery" thing.

Remember that Golf Mill started as an open-air mall, so everything was available "from the mall". So far as I can recall, the entrance to the grocery was always on its NW corner, never to what is now enclosed mall. Most of it sticks further west than any other part of the enclosed mall anyway.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #41 - August 24th, 2021, 8:34 am
    Post #41 - August 24th, 2021, 8:34 am Post #41 - August 24th, 2021, 8:34 am
    Jim-Bob wrote:The long shuttered Dixie Square Mall had a Jewel as one of its anchors. You can see it in the classic car chase scene through the mall in The Blues Brothers.

This was one the very first thing I thought of when someone mentioned grocery stores in malls. Also strange to see a legit bakery and Olds Mobile dealership in that mall.

And to think of all the weird stores that frequented malls that you don't see too often anymore: pet shops, iron-on emporiums, knife stores (where you could stock up on cutlery and ninja stars), and tobacco by the pound shops.

• Post #42 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:07 am
    Post #42 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:07 am Post #42 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:07 am
    The owners of two Waukesha gas stations have sued Woodman's, saying the grocery chain kept its gas prices too low
    Cathy2

• Post #43 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:20 pm
    Post #43 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:20 pm Post #43 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:20 pm
    Great. I hope Illinois doesn't have the same law. The stations on Milwaukee Av would jump on that, and the Costco is pretty far away.
  • Post #44 - March 23rd, 2022, 3:16 am
    Post #44 - March 23rd, 2022, 3:16 am Post #44 - March 23rd, 2022, 3:16 am
    Gasoline is cheaper than Costco!
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #45 - March 23rd, 2022, 12:16 pm
    Post #45 - March 23rd, 2022, 12:16 pm Post #45 - March 23rd, 2022, 12:16 pm
    Hi,

If I am away from home, I like to read local newspapers.

Once while having breakfast in Racine, WI, there was an article about the special reduction of fuel tax at gas stations near the border. It is why the cost of fuel climbs as you get further into Wisconsin.

The fuel cost relationship at the IL-WI border along I-94 is quite dynamic. Consulting gasbuddy.com. The price along Route 50: Woodmans is $3.89, Costco $3.79 and Speedway $3.79.

In Lake County, Illinois, Costco in Mettawa is $4.37 and Woodman's in Buffalo Grove is $4.19.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #46 - May 4th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Post #46 - May 4th, 2022, 2:14 pm Post #46 - May 4th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    HI,

I visited the Buffalo Grove location today.

In the discounted meat area, there were four pork bellies priced at $1.99 per pound. I settled the issue of whether to buy or not by phoning Park Packing. Their current price was over $3. per pound. The smallest was just over 10 pounds and now rests in my freezer.

There was a seven-pound brisket marked down to $2.99 per pound. It is already in the oven roasting away.*

*I sorta fibbed, I had the oven preheating. It was not a brisket, it was flank steak. I had to call the meat department to verify.

Whipping cream was $5.29 a quart.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #47 - May 4th, 2022, 9:13 pm
    Post #47 - May 4th, 2022, 9:13 pm Post #47 - May 4th, 2022, 9:13 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Once while having breakfast in Racine, WI, there was an article about the special reduction of fuel tax at gas stations near the border. It is why the cost of fuel climbs as you get further into Wisconsin.

Late to the party, but this doesn't sound quite right. I often travel up to the Milwaukee suburbs and, in summer, to the Oshkosh area. Gas in Oak Creek or the area south of the 894 bypass is often slightly cheaper than in Kenosha. Last week, for example, I filled up at College & 19th near the Milwaukee airport for 10 cents cheaper than I could have at Woodmans Kenosha. And gas is often even cheaper in Fond du Lac. There definitely are areas with higher prices, like most of Racine or Milwaukee suburbs north of North Av.
  • Post #48 - May 4th, 2022, 10:08 pm
    Post #48 - May 4th, 2022, 10:08 pm Post #48 - May 4th, 2022, 10:08 pm
    Hi,

I am glad to hear that. I don't travel in Wisconsin as broadly as you.

We can agree on one thing: cheaper than Illinois presently.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #49 - May 5th, 2022, 6:03 am
    Post #49 - May 5th, 2022, 6:03 am Post #49 - May 5th, 2022, 6:03 am
    You guys should travel to St. Louis. Gas is often 50-75 cents cheaper.
  • Post #50 - May 5th, 2022, 8:12 am
    Post #50 - May 5th, 2022, 8:12 am Post #50 - May 5th, 2022, 8:12 am
    lougord99 wrote:You guys should travel to St. Louis. Gas is often 50-75 cents cheaper.

I have been to St. Louis, Iowa and Omaha, NB in the last few weeks. It is always cheaper than Illinois.
    Cathy2

• Post #51 - May 9th, 2022, 7:57 pm
    Post #51 - May 9th, 2022, 7:57 pm Post #51 - May 9th, 2022, 7:57 pm
    There is something about a state line and gas prices, though. On our April trip to Kansas City, the 2 far and away cheapest gas spots were in Hannibal, MO (on the Mississippi and boyhood home of Mark Twain) and on an eastern corner of State Line Road in KC.

Circling back to Woodman's, the Kenosha store has gotten away from the cheese bargains they used to feature. Same at other Woodman's? Or is there still cheap cheese?
  • Post #52 - May 9th, 2022, 9:04 pm
    Post #52 - May 9th, 2022, 9:04 pm Post #52 - May 9th, 2022, 9:04 pm
    tjr wrote:Circling back to Woodman's, the Kenosha store has gotten away from the cheese bargains they used to feature. Same at other Woodman's? Or is there still cheap cheese?

I think the broader question, is there still cheap dairy? Presently, no.

Jewel has butter for $2.99 per pound in the current ads. I have a just-4-u coupon for $2.39 per pound. I will check tomorrow for next week's ads, then decide whether to buy butter. I have a reserve, but at some point will I kick myself for not buying the $2.39 butter?

I also have a 99 cent gallon milk coupon, but it does not include whole milk.

A few months ago, I could buy two gallons milk for $4 and now it is $5.

Whipping cream by the quart was $3.29 around Christmas and last week was $5.25.

I just don't see cheap cheese anytime soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #53 - May 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm
    Post #53 - May 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm Post #53 - May 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm
    FWIW, Valli has had Land O Lakes unsalted butter for $2.99/lb for the past two weeks. We're now fully stocked with butter.
  • Post #54 - May 10th, 2022, 6:27 am
    Post #54 - May 10th, 2022, 6:27 am Post #54 - May 10th, 2022, 6:27 am
    A few recent cheese sales, but for the most part not super interesting stuff:
    99 cent half pound blocks coupon + $2.99 Galbani mozzarella only in 5# blocks at Tony's
    1.49 half pound blocks at the Kroger family
    $2.99 Stella or Battaglia mozzarella at Butera
    $3.19 brick at Montrose - was odd, very salty compared to their usual brick
  • Post #55 - November 27th, 2022, 11:01 pm
    Post #55 - November 27th, 2022, 11:01 pm Post #55 - November 27th, 2022, 11:01 pm
    Today's super deal at Woodman's: Canoe brand wild rice, 6 oz for $1.69 with a buy 3 get a $3 rebate offer. That's pretty good, nice quality cultivated wild rice for under $2/lb, but the shocker is that the box includes a Business Reply envelope to send for the rebate postage-free.
    I cooked a box of the rice to use for soup tomorrow. Very nice wild rice, mostly long clean unbroken grains that cooked up fluffy.
    If you're a real cheapskate, Canoe wild'n'white blend is $1.19 with the same offer.
  • Post #56 - November 28th, 2022, 1:17 pm
    Post #56 - November 28th, 2022, 1:17 pm Post #56 - November 28th, 2022, 1:17 pm
    tjr wrote:Today's super deal at Woodman's: Canoe brand wild rice, 6 oz for $1.69 with a buy 3 get a $3 rebate offer. That's pretty good, nice quality cultivated wild rice for under $2/lb, but the shocker is that the box includes a Business Reply envelope to send for the rebate postage-free.
    I cooked a box of the rice to use for soup tomorrow. Very nice wild rice, mostly long clean unbroken grains that cooked up fluffy.
    If you're a real cheapskate, Canoe wild'n'white blend is $1.19 with the same offer.

Man, the cheapest I'd seen wild rice at the Jewels, Tony's and a couple other places was about $5.99/6oz. Both of those are quire the bargain.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #57 - January 23rd, 2024, 3:55 pm
    Post #57 - January 23rd, 2024, 3:55 pm Post #57 - January 23rd, 2024, 3:55 pm
    Woodman's Food Market Proposes Plainfield Store
    https://patch.com/illinois/plainfield/w ... el-station

This would be right on the border with Naperville so it would do a lot of business and it's far enough away from their North Aurora store where it shouldn't cut into that store's business.
  • Post #58 - January 23rd, 2024, 5:27 pm
    Post #58 - January 23rd, 2024, 5:27 pm Post #58 - January 23rd, 2024, 5:27 pm
    Jim-Bob wrote:Woodman's Food Market Proposes Plainfield Store
    https://patch.com/illinois/plainfield/w ... el-station

This would be right on the border with Naperville so it would do a lot of business and it's far enough away from their North Aurora store where it shouldn't cut into that store's business.

Agreed. It will do well. Busy built up area. Godawful Amazon fresh is no competition. Even with Caputos right in the neighborhood, with superior produce, deli , meat and seafood. Woodmans niche items are tasty and fun.

I’d probably roll in once in a while - 40 minute drive from out west
  • Post #59 - January 24th, 2024, 7:18 am
    Post #59 - January 24th, 2024, 7:18 am Post #59 - January 24th, 2024, 7:18 am
    Jim-Bob wrote:This would be right on the border with Naperville so it would do a lot of business and it's far enough away from their North Aurora store where it shouldn't cut into that store's business.

Almost as if it was planned.
  • Post #60 - January 24th, 2024, 9:39 am
    Post #60 - January 24th, 2024, 9:39 am Post #60 - January 24th, 2024, 9:39 am
    jimswside wrote: Even with Caputos right in the neighborhood, with superior produce, deli , meat and seafood
    This seems like an ideal combo. Woodmans for center-of-the-store, Caputos for around-the-outside. Woodmans used to have better produce and a larger variety of interesting produce, the last several years not so much.

Sounds like the new store will be a big one - the Buffalo Grove and Volo stores seem smaller to me than the Kenosha one with slightly less stuff. Might be my imagination, though.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more