LTH Home

Tonkotsu Ramen At Home

Tonkotsu Ramen At Home
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 27th, 2020, 8:02 am
    Post #31 - January 27th, 2020, 8:02 am Post #31 - January 27th, 2020, 8:02 am
    HI,

This is outstanding and yes, perfect project for a day stuck at home day.

You did not comment on the pork slice. Did you roast pork while cooking everything else?

At Mitsuwa, I really like the supple piece of pork.

Very inspiring, thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - January 27th, 2020, 8:37 am
    Post #32 - January 27th, 2020, 8:37 am Post #32 - January 27th, 2020, 8:37 am
    I did a version the other day too -- I had homemade chicken broth made from a whole bunch of Costco rotisserie carcasses (solid at fridge temp, lots of gelatin), which I supplemented with a little lard also in the freezer. A vigorous boil while steeping with a piece of kombu and a few slices of ginger helped emulsify the extra fat.

Leftover pork loin, bean sprouts, egg, shredded rainbow carrot, nori, fish cake, pickled shiitake (momofuku recipe that should be on everyone's radar), scallions. Noodles were dried "chicken noodles" I picked up at Assi Plaza. They had fresh noodles, none with any alkaline ingredients, these had both egg and sodium hydroxide making for a nicely chewy noodle even after sitting in the broth for a while. Nice 220-calorie nests for portioning.

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #33 - January 27th, 2020, 10:16 am
    Post #33 - January 27th, 2020, 10:16 am Post #33 - January 27th, 2020, 10:16 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

This is outstanding and yes, perfect project for a day stuck at home day.

You did not comment on the pork slice. Did you roast pork while cooking everything else?

At Mitsuwa, I really like the supple piece of pork.

Very inspiring, thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2

I think this was meant for alek, but I'll chime in too. I always do the pork a day or two in advance so that it can chill and make it easier to slice. But that's definitely not necessary
  • Post #34 - January 27th, 2020, 10:33 am
    Post #34 - January 27th, 2020, 10:33 am Post #34 - January 27th, 2020, 10:33 am
    Same^, pork was done on day one and left to cool for slicing. Squares of skin on pork belly were seared off and braised for a couple hours in what I think is a pretty standard chasu base. Leftover chasu braising liquid was used for the eggs.
  • Post #35 - June 27th, 2022, 8:43 pm
    Post #35 - June 27th, 2022, 8:43 pm Post #35 - June 27th, 2022, 8:43 pm
    for silly reasons, i need to embark on a seasonally inappropriate cooking project: tonkatsu ramen. i think i'll follow the plan at serious eats, unless forumites have some alternative recommendations? trotter sources? thanks as always!
  • Post #36 - June 27th, 2022, 8:49 pm
    Post #36 - June 27th, 2022, 8:49 pm Post #36 - June 27th, 2022, 8:49 pm
    You might find some useful information here.

A search just for ramen comes up with scattered tidbits.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #37 - June 27th, 2022, 9:25 pm
    Post #37 - June 27th, 2022, 9:25 pm Post #37 - June 27th, 2022, 9:25 pm
    annak wrote:for silly reasons, i need to embark on a seasonally inappropriate cooking project: tonkatsu ramen. i think i'll follow the plan at serious eats, unless forumites have some alternative recommendations? trotter sources? thanks as always!

Mike Satinover (ramenlord online) is modest but he makes some of the best ramen I've had. And he's always sharing his recipes as he refines. This one's a few years old so it might have been updated, but its a damn good one. I recall using a blender post cooking seemed to be something I would've never thought of.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments ... um=ios_app
  • Post #38 - June 28th, 2022, 6:12 am
    Post #38 - June 28th, 2022, 6:12 am Post #38 - June 28th, 2022, 6:12 am
    annak wrote:for silly reasons, i need to embark on a seasonally inappropriate cooking project: tonkatsu ramen. i think i'll follow the plan at serious eats, unless forumites have some alternative recommendations? trotter sources? thanks as always!

Momofuku dedicates a good portion of the book to all the parts and pieces for good pork ramen. Make sure you look for info on tonkotsu, which is the milky-textured broth, not tonkatsu, which is a fried cutlet.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #39 - June 28th, 2022, 12:21 pm
    Post #39 - June 28th, 2022, 12:21 pm Post #39 - June 28th, 2022, 12:21 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:

Mike Satinover (ramenlord online) is modest but he makes some of the best ramen I've had. And he's always sharing his recipes as he refines. This one's a few years old so it might have been updated, but its a damn good one. I recall using a blender post cooking seemed to be something I would've never thought of.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments ... um=ios_app

I'd agree - I'd follow ramenlord since, at least until relatively recently, all his ramen exploits occurred in his very modest apartment kitchen in Chicago. Although, he does express that he doesn't find tonkatsu very interesting and devotes relatively little of his posting and writing to this style of ramen, so that may end up being an issue.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more