LTH Home

Blizzard, 2011

Blizzard, 2011
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Blizzard, 2011

Post #1 - February 1st, 2011, 10:18 am
    Post #1 - February 1st, 2011, 10:18 am Post #1 - February 1st, 2011, 10:18 am
    Blizzard, 2011

In yesterday’s Stew, Judy Hevrdejs asked Is your kitchen stocked and snowstorm ready? Her suggestions re: provisions include fluids, canned goods and electric can openers, items that don’t need refrigeration, and other things we used to stock in our fallout shelter circa 1962. I notice she didn't mention a gun; perhaps it won't come to that.

I’m on record as predicting that the much anticipated Blizzard of 2011 (known in the media as Snowpocalypse, Blizzkrieg, etc.) will be this generation’s Kohoutek, but still, it’s oddly comforting to think about being snowed in for a day or so.

Me, I bought some bourbon and figure this is a fine opportunity to eat through some of the stuff I already have in my freezer and pantry that I would probably have ignored for many months more but now have motivation to eat.

You have food plans for the end of the world as we know it?
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #2 - February 1st, 2011, 10:20 am
    Post #2 - February 1st, 2011, 10:20 am Post #2 - February 1st, 2011, 10:20 am
    David Hammond wrote:Blizzard, 2011

In yesterday’s Stew, Judy Hevrdejs asked Is your kitchen stocked and snowstorm ready? . Her suggestions re: ...items that don’t need refrigeration,...

Seems to me that the last thing we need to worry about is a lack of refrigeration.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #3 - February 1st, 2011, 10:24 am
    Post #3 - February 1st, 2011, 10:24 am Post #3 - February 1st, 2011, 10:24 am
    grabbed some stuff on the way home last night, bottle of tequila,& a couple six packs of High Life tall boys.

Didnt need to shop as I have alot of stuff in the freeezer like most folks, but I figured if I get some rare free time during the middle of the week Id take advantage of it. I havent cooked anything from scratch at home since 1/17. :shock:

Also some amish chicken(split bone in breasts & some thighs). Thighs for some gumbo from a gumbo cookbook I bought in NOLA, & the breasts for a recipe from the Galtoire's cookbook. Also grabbed plenty of garlic, sausage, onions, okra, green onions, and rice. Hoping to do the gumbo tonight.

I get to skate out of work before 2 today, and am hoping no work tomorrow, even though my truck cuts through snow like butter & I could make it in if I wanted to.
    Last edited by jimswside on February 1st, 2011, 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #4 - February 1st, 2011, 10:33 am
    Post #4 - February 1st, 2011, 10:33 am Post #4 - February 1st, 2011, 10:33 am
    David Hammond wrote:Blizzard, 2011

Me, I bought some bourbon and figure this is a fine opportunity to eat through some of the stuff I already have in my freezer and pantry that I would probably have ignored for many months more but now have motivation to eat.

You have food plans for the end of the world as we know it?

Like you I intend to clear some space in my freezer. I pulled out an elk chuck roast I got from the elk guy at Green City and plan to braise in my crock pot and serve it with egg noodles, carrots & parsnips. Also, I'm making the Meyer lemon marmalade I was going to do on Sunday. That should keep me busy between bouts of shoveling.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #5 - February 1st, 2011, 10:38 am
    Post #5 - February 1st, 2011, 10:38 am Post #5 - February 1st, 2011, 10:38 am
    David Hammond wrote:Her suggestions re: provisions include fluids, canned goods and electric can openers, items that don’t need refrigeration, and other things we used to stock in our fallout shelter circa 1962.
    I was hoping that she mistakenly recommended this for humour's sake, but alas, non-electric can openers.
  • Post #6 - February 1st, 2011, 10:45 am
    Post #6 - February 1st, 2011, 10:45 am Post #6 - February 1st, 2011, 10:45 am
    As a survivor of the Great Chicago Blizzard of 1967 I remember my Mom stocking up on certain foods in preparation of being snowed in. Her list included the staples of a few steaks, a chicken and hamburger, bread flour, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, cheese, Bisquick, and some fresh fruits and veggies (we had tons of canned veggies). Mom feared that the delivery trucks would not get through to the stores even if she shoveled out her driveway. As a new storm approaches Chicago I find myself stocking up with an extra gallon of milk, bread, cold cuts, and cheese. (I have plenty of the other staples including beer and bourbon). I spoke to my friend and she was stocking up on hot chocolate mix, taco kits and frozen stuff. Are you stocking up? What are you getting?
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #7 - February 1st, 2011, 10:47 am
    Post #7 - February 1st, 2011, 10:47 am Post #7 - February 1st, 2011, 10:47 am
    I'm not in the path of the latest snowmageddon, but I know for sure I could last for days and days subsisting on stuff in my pantry/freezer. Do people really live so close to the edge?
  • Post #8 - February 1st, 2011, 10:51 am
    Post #8 - February 1st, 2011, 10:51 am Post #8 - February 1st, 2011, 10:51 am
    Re: armageddon.

I've been dismissive of the media-hyped impending disaster, but I must say, I feel kind of like I did one morning during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when all us kids were sitting quietly waiting, watching the sky for something big to happen. The analogy is inapposite, perhaps, but the sense of foreboding is similar.
  • Post #9 - February 1st, 2011, 11:03 am
    Post #9 - February 1st, 2011, 11:03 am Post #9 - February 1st, 2011, 11:03 am
    FYI, conversation on same topic is currently going on in Shopping and Cooking.
  • Post #10 - February 1st, 2011, 11:04 am
    Post #10 - February 1st, 2011, 11:04 am Post #10 - February 1st, 2011, 11:04 am
    Normally my panty is stocked well enough that I could go a week or two without much worry -- beans and rice go a long way. I picked up some fresh fruit and vegetables yesterday, so I'm all set. I doubt my cooking will change at all, other than maybe having some extra time at home to do more of it.
  • Post #11 - February 1st, 2011, 11:18 am
    Post #11 - February 1st, 2011, 11:18 am Post #11 - February 1st, 2011, 11:18 am
    jblth wrote:Normally my panty is stocked well enough ...

<Juvenile giggling>

Seriously, I've done exactly no preparation for the oncoming storm except buy coffee yesterday, but I would have done that anyway. Had I not taken advantage of Binny's 15% off sale on Saturday and restocked on booze, I would have done that. I'm getting a little low on firewood - unfortunately, they're not delivering this week. So, I basically did nothing. I'm with Kenny -- the great outdoors is our refrigerator, thus de-necessitating canned goods. The only issue I (somewhat) worry about is a power outage, but in that case, I'll make do with fruit, cheese and crackers until the nearest pizza place is back up and running.
  • Post #12 - February 1st, 2011, 11:20 am
    Post #12 - February 1st, 2011, 11:20 am Post #12 - February 1st, 2011, 11:20 am
    I dunno, I look at those lists in the newspapers, and I feel like we're already pretty well stocked. I stopped by Jewel on the way home yesterday and it had the size of crowd in it that you usually only see pre-Thanksgiving, pre-Christmas, and (doh) pre-Super Bowl. I was surprised to see the refrigerated section with packaged chicken pieces almost entirely cleaned out - do people crave chicken in a crisis, or is that a Super Bowl thing? I bought a package of wings to do some wing recipe experimenting, since it looks like I'll be home from work in a few days. But I really couldn't think of much of anything else we would need to stock up on if we were stuck in the house for a few days. Wine for me, ciggiebutts for Sweet Baboo. Always lots of pasta and rice and beans and canned goods on hand, and a big bag of dry dog food for the Fuzzball. At some point if we are stuck inside too long Sweet Baboo will start craving meat and chocolate and more ciggiebutts, and will tunnel his way out to get some.

But then, a few days ago, before I heard of the gathering storm, I just happened to do a good stock-up on recipe ingredients, because Sunset was advertising quite a lot of sale items at all their stores in honor of the opening of their new store in Long Grove (haven't been yet; now I guess I won't get there til after the snow clears). I am ready to make pizza, jambalaya, char siu, egg rolls, meatballs, French onion soup, lasagna, spaghetti sauce, and pad thai. I figure that will hold us for a while.

I don't quite get the advice on stocking up on water and other liquids. Can't remember when we've ever had a water shutoff or boil order where I live, in any weather situation in my life. Also can't remember when we've ever not had the gas (stove) working, so I'm expecting to be able to cook. I guess if you have an electric stove this could be a worry.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #13 - February 1st, 2011, 11:23 am
    Post #13 - February 1st, 2011, 11:23 am Post #13 - February 1st, 2011, 11:23 am
    aschie30 wrote:
    jblth wrote:Normally my panty is stocked well enough ...

<Juvenile giggling>

<More juvenile giggling :lol: :lol: :lol: >
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #14 - February 1st, 2011, 11:35 am
    Post #14 - February 1st, 2011, 11:35 am Post #14 - February 1st, 2011, 11:35 am
    I've got plenty of whiskey, so I'm good to go...probably until August, if need be. I really can't think of anything else I could possibly need. 8) :mrgreen:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #15 - February 1st, 2011, 11:44 am
    Post #15 - February 1st, 2011, 11:44 am Post #15 - February 1st, 2011, 11:44 am
    I bought taco making supplies last night, and some general munchies. The grocery store is just down the street, so I can always brave the snow if things get dicey.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #16 - February 1st, 2011, 11:49 am
    Post #16 - February 1st, 2011, 11:49 am Post #16 - February 1st, 2011, 11:49 am
    Right - I was talking to friends - I'd bought supplies for the week on Sunday as I always do - but we easily have enough food in our house to last until spring planting. And then I have seeds.
  • Post #17 - February 1st, 2011, 11:52 am
    Post #17 - February 1st, 2011, 11:52 am Post #17 - February 1st, 2011, 11:52 am
    If the storm arrives, I've been toying with the idea of venturing forth to a public place. I remember during a huge snow storm in the 90s (forget which year), I was marooned at Marche, and it was very pleasant, huddling together over good food and drink while weather went crazy outside.
  • Post #18 - February 1st, 2011, 11:58 am
    Post #18 - February 1st, 2011, 11:58 am Post #18 - February 1st, 2011, 11:58 am
    Katie wrote:
    Also can't remember when we've ever not had the gas (stove) working, so I'm expecting to be able to cook. I guess if you have an electric stove this could be a worry.

Your gas stove may have an electric ignition.
  • Post #19 - February 1st, 2011, 11:59 am
    Post #19 - February 1st, 2011, 11:59 am Post #19 - February 1st, 2011, 11:59 am
    We got an large pizza instead of a medium at Lou Malnati's last night so we'd have leftovers. There's plenty of beer, wine and liquor in our house. I feel pretty good that the Chicago water system will continue working. If we run out of salsa for the chips, I figure we can make our way to one of the grocery stores that is within 2 blocks of our place.

I feel like the media has played us to be wimps. We may get a lot of snow. It snows in Chicago. That's reason to empty out the meat and bread aisles? Huh.
    -Mary
  • Post #20 - February 1st, 2011, 12:02 pm
    Post #20 - February 1st, 2011, 12:02 pm Post #20 - February 1st, 2011, 12:02 pm
    Yeah, I agree. Lifetime Chicagoans are not fazed by big snows.
  • Post #21 - February 1st, 2011, 12:04 pm
    Post #21 - February 1st, 2011, 12:04 pm Post #21 - February 1st, 2011, 12:04 pm
    LikestoEatout wrote:
    Katie wrote:
    Also can't remember when we've ever not had the gas (stove) working, so I'm expecting to be able to cook. I guess if you have an electric stove this could be a worry.

Your gas stove may have an electric ignition.

No, it doesn't, nor any electric controls. Glad to say it's the old reliable kind of gas stove. It used to be my mom's. Sweet Baboo considers it hopelessly old-fashioned and would like to replace it, but the one and only time in the last 35 years or more that it needed repair (to the oven pilot light), the repairman (who works for Abt Appliances) advised me to hold on to it as long as possible.
  • Post #22 - February 1st, 2011, 12:08 pm
    Post #22 - February 1st, 2011, 12:08 pm Post #22 - February 1st, 2011, 12:08 pm
    The GP wrote:It snows in Chicago. That's reason to empty out the meat and bread aisles? Huh.

People get anxious, they look to food.
  • Post #23 - February 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm
    Post #23 - February 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm Post #23 - February 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    The GP wrote:It snows in Chicago. That's reason to empty out the meat and bread aisles? Huh.

People get anxious, they look to food.

I get that. I just think there's a bit of over-reaction going on. A coworker shared what she saw at the grocery store last night: a couple with 6 gallons of milk. Someone asked if they had kids and they said no. They planned to freeze the extra. Another woman, estimated to be around 75 years old or so, had a cart filled with frozen foods - pizzas, bagel bites, etc. If this food brings these people comfort, that's great for them. Maybe I'll regret not getting packaged chicken later in the week, but for now, I think we'll be okay. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #24 - February 1st, 2011, 12:36 pm
    Post #24 - February 1st, 2011, 12:36 pm Post #24 - February 1st, 2011, 12:36 pm
    I'm not too worried about this storm, but I am always prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. I think we have enough food and booze to keep us going for at least 6 months, although it would get rough after the first month when we run out of duck fat and guanciale. 2012 is just around the corner people - BE PREPARED!
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #25 - February 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm
    Post #25 - February 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm Post #25 - February 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm
    We picked up extra booze & the normal things we need to get every few days (lemons, limes, herbs, corn tortillas, eggs) yesterday afternoon and no one seemed to be doing any major storm shopping. However, post 5pm, many of my friends posted photos online of decimated grocery store shelves. Yogurt, oddly enough, seemed to be a highly sought after item with several people noting that yogurt, bread, milk and eggs were nowhere to be found. Why yogurt? :?

*Edited to note that I admire Attrill's Zombie Apocalypse diligence
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #26 - February 1st, 2011, 12:42 pm
    Post #26 - February 1st, 2011, 12:42 pm Post #26 - February 1st, 2011, 12:42 pm
    Pretty sure that even those with an electric ignition will work if you light them with a lighter (the long kind :D ). I was informed of this by the GE repair folks who tried to make me purchase a new sensor panel for the SAME PRICE AS A NEW RANGE. When I voiced my displeasure, they said I could always just unplug the thing (it was "beeping" mercilessly) and light it by hand and the stove would work just fine.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #27 - February 1st, 2011, 12:59 pm
    Post #27 - February 1st, 2011, 12:59 pm Post #27 - February 1st, 2011, 12:59 pm
    I picked up some windshield washer fluid, extra fire logs (in case the power goes out) and a box of Goose Island Mild Winter Ale, just to be ironic.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #28 - February 1st, 2011, 1:28 pm
    Post #28 - February 1st, 2011, 1:28 pm Post #28 - February 1st, 2011, 1:28 pm
    Mhays wrote:Right - I was talking to friends - I'd bought supplies for the week on Sunday as I always do - but we easily have enough food in our house to last until spring planting. And then I have seeds.

Same here, although I don't have seeds. I was just looking at my very full pantry shelves and thinking how weird I thought my in-laws were when I first met them nearly 30 years ago for having so many canned goods, bags of potatoes, etc. I used to joke I'd like to be with them if the apocalypse occurs. And now look at me....

Since I will be working from home tomorrow, I can do some cooking that needs time--maybe the short ribs I picked up the other day.
  • Post #29 - February 1st, 2011, 1:36 pm
    Post #29 - February 1st, 2011, 1:36 pm Post #29 - February 1st, 2011, 1:36 pm
    Hi,

I just returned from Sunset Foods which has the feel of pre-any-major-holiday bustle. I was there because they had chickens sale. I already bought four gallons of milk over the weekend, which is one gallon more than I buy normally. It was chocolate milk by special request.

I sent a note to my niece who works by the metra north line. Instead of walking blocks to the L and 3-4 blocks home later, I suggested: elevator => train => two blocks => home. She thinks I'm silly, though she might just change her mind.

I have a 1930's gas range in the basement, which I was told fed the neighborhood during the 1967 blizzard. If our electricity goes out, I'm prepared to braise something or make soup. I will also turn a few faucets to a trickle to keep pipes from freezing.

Since I have a home office, it will be work day for me.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #30 - February 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm
    Post #30 - February 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm Post #30 - February 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm
    Nuthin'. If we can't last for a month (or more) based on what's in the fridge, freezer, and pantry, then we deserve to lose a little weight. Might even discover some things on the backs and in the corners of shelves that had "disappeared" over time.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more