LTH Home

Blizzard, 2011

Blizzard, 2011
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - February 1st, 2011, 11:56 pm
    Post #61 - February 1st, 2011, 11:56 pm Post #61 - February 1st, 2011, 11:56 pm
    toria wrote:Note to all that are thinking of drinking bourbon or whiskey. Dr. Oz was on today and said you will get the worst hangovers from that and to drink either vodka or gin to avoid that hungover feeling. I know this does not help if you really like bourbon. Just sayin.

Oz (really?) has clearly never had vodka or gin, as hangovers can be had from both of those. But then again, I never listen to doctors for advice on what to drink.
  • Post #62 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:01 am
    Post #62 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:01 am Post #62 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:01 am
    aschie30 wrote:Oz (really?) has clearly never had enough vodka or gin, as hangovers can be had from both of those.
    -Dan
  • Post #63 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:21 am
    Post #63 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:21 am Post #63 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:21 am
    razbry wrote:This is the first day of my retirement, which I have to say seems to be well timed and memorable.

Congratulations! :)

pairs4life wrote:Keep Calm & Carry On.

David Hammond wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:I'm typically not one to stay inside in these conditions

PS. Snowball fight might be tough; this does not seem to be good-packing snow.

Indeed, snowball fight didn't quite work out but quickly evolved into silly running back and forth and dancing in the snow sans snowballs and laughing hysterically. And now I may be very pleasantly tipsy. Mission accomplished, I think.
  • Post #64 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:29 am
    Post #64 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:29 am Post #64 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:29 am
    I don't think Oz was saying you could not get a hangover but he said bourbon and whiskey have chemical congeners that make the headache worse.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #65 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:40 am
    Post #65 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:40 am Post #65 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:40 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I took my first stab at toum
    Didn't you make toum for a long ago basturma party?

Had a recent conversation with a Lebanese fellow about toum, tabbouleh and skhug. He shuns potato/bread and mayo in his toum, preferring only garlic/lemon juice/oil/salt.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #66 - February 2nd, 2011, 2:40 am
    Post #66 - February 2nd, 2011, 2:40 am Post #66 - February 2nd, 2011, 2:40 am
    dansch wrote:
    aschie30 wrote:Oz (really?) has clearly never had enough vodka or gin, as hangovers can be had from both of those.
    -Dan

Half hot buttered rum, half Penzey's cocoa with hot whole milk. That is allzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz <snore>.
  • Post #67 - February 2nd, 2011, 5:53 am
    Post #67 - February 2nd, 2011, 5:53 am Post #67 - February 2nd, 2011, 5:53 am
    I've heard the same as what Dr. Oz says about dark-colored spirits versus clear spirits, hangoverwise. Haven't tested it, though.

The power went out here about 11:30 pm, which was quite an annoyance to Sweet Baboo, as he was only 15 minutes or so from the end of the movie he was watching. Personally, I thought, no better time for the power to go out than when you ought to go to bed anyway. It came back on about 3 hours later.

Two friends stuck here are crashed on our couches downstairs, watching I Love Lucy reruns.

I've been up since about 3 am, since the Fuzzball, who is completely unfazed by thunder and lightning, turns out to suffer anxiety attacks in blizzards. Thank goodness that'll only be every 10 years or so at most. Nothing but going OUTSIDE would settle her down - the only creature, I suspect, within hundreds of miles of here that actually wants more than anything else to be wading around in the snowdrifts and blinding wind and snow outside right now, in the middle of the night. But then, she's a collie, her heart's in the highlands, her heart is not here.

Back to the food: oven working, thinking, Tostitos Pizza Bites would be good right now.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #68 - February 2nd, 2011, 6:41 am
    Post #68 - February 2nd, 2011, 6:41 am Post #68 - February 2nd, 2011, 6:41 am
    I had breakfast-for-dinner last night. Did a twist on eggs benedict: English muffins topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions, C&D Farms bacon (my first time buying from them. Holy porcine, Batman--that's good stuff!), poached eggs, microwave hollandaise. Some diced potatoes, some asparagus, a little more of the hollandaise drizzled on everything for good measure.

There was something satisfying about standing before the indefatigable force of Mother Nature and saying 'Oh yeah? I can be unpredictable, too! I'm having eggs....for dinner.' Take that, blizzard.
    "People sometimes attribute quotes to the wrong person"--Mark Twain
  • Post #69 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:26 am
    Post #69 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:26 am Post #69 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:26 am
    I made a snowball and tossed it into their bed.

Cathy2....really?
  • Post #70 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am
    Post #70 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am Post #70 - February 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am
    JoelF wrote:Squirrels always get to mine before they're ready.
    No worries, I cut a deal with the leader. Pound of Brazil nuts a month and they leave my salami alone.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #71 - February 2nd, 2011, 10:15 am
    Post #71 - February 2nd, 2011, 10:15 am Post #71 - February 2nd, 2011, 10:15 am
    toria wrote:I don't think Oz was saying you could not get a hangover but he said bourbon and whiskey have chemical congeners that make the headache worse.

The issue is that alcohols aged in wood barrels accumulate chemicals that have a very small effect on increasing your hangover. That anyone would choose their type of beverage based on this is pretty silly, though. The differences are small and are easily avoided by drinking in, wait for it, moderation.
  • Post #72 - February 2nd, 2011, 10:51 am
    Post #72 - February 2nd, 2011, 10:51 am Post #72 - February 2nd, 2011, 10:51 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I took my first stab at toum
    Didn't you make toum for a long ago basturma party?

Had a recent conversation with a Lebanese fellow about toum, tabbouleh and skhug. He shuns potato/bread and mayo in his toum, preferring only garlic/lemon juice/oil/salt.

I was on the hunt last night to replicate the ethereal garlic sauce from Al Bawadi Grill called Motawma. I recalled people suggesting there was mayo and mashed potatoes present. When I searched for Motawma, I quickly found I was directed to toum recipes with its regional variations.

I did bump into Erik's basturma party garlic paste, which I now realize was a purest form of toum. Until yesterday I still thought of it as garlic paste.

"I made a snowball and tossed it into their bed." "Cathy2....really?"

Yes, though it was only two inches diameter. A few minutes later, I did manage to get Dad out of bed. I found a window in the guest room window unlocked and swinging with the elements. I ran for tools, while he did the heavy thinking.

My Mom watches Dr. Oz. I hear a lot about what he thinks all the time. I try to escape the room when his recommendations of the day pop into the conversation.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #73 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am
    Post #73 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am Post #73 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am
    THIS was the day for the summer peach pie puck. Perfect.
  • Post #74 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am
    Post #74 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am Post #74 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am
    I'm totally jealous of everyone who is at home today. Our heart of the storm dinner was steak salad made with leftover C&D Farms flank steak accompanied by a Cabernet I had opened the night before. We sat on the couch in the living room with the lights off (by choice) watching the snow accumulate and blow. I did not get the call saying my office was closed today, so I left Mr. X at home while I slogged through the snow to the L. I would much rather be home baking, braising, anything but working!
    -Mary
  • Post #75 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:25 am
    Post #75 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:25 am Post #75 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:25 am
    The top edge hit Montréal a couple of hours ago, but y'awl took most of its energy--we're
    Predicted to get only 15cm, max. The U won't close, of course, so I'm off on the metro to give a quiz. :twisted:

Lamb curry for din!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #76 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm
    Post #76 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm Post #76 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm
    I'm in the office today, thanks to my shoeshoes. The security guard and I are the only ones here since the place is officially closed, and now he want snowshoes too. I shoveled the snow that had drifted against my back door/fire escape. Tonight I'm planning to make black bean soup, spinach salad, and chocolate chip cookies.
  • Post #77 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
    Post #77 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:31 pm Post #77 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
    HI,

I once saw a show where they boiled maple syrup until it reached candy stage. They went outside to spoon it onto fresh snow making designs, then ate it. This might a good day to give this a try.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #78 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:33 pm
    Post #78 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:33 pm Post #78 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:33 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I once saw a show where they boiled maple syrup until it reached candy stage. They went outside to spoon it onto fresh snow making designs, then ate it. This might a good day to give this a try.

Regards,

I remember reading about that when I was a kid, and I wanted to do it but my mom said it was bad to eat snow because of the Strongium 90 (and other pollutants) in the atmosphere. Still sounds llike a cool idea to me.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #79 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm
    Post #79 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm Post #79 - February 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm
    We do it fer shure up here in Québec—look at my last couple of pix here.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #80 - February 2nd, 2011, 3:00 pm
    Post #80 - February 2nd, 2011, 3:00 pm Post #80 - February 2nd, 2011, 3:00 pm
    Sudden onset Queso Fundido cravings led me to leave my well provisioned house to seek out some Queso Chihuahua and corn tortillas (used them all up yesterday on tacos and huevos rancheros). Really amazing trek through Logan Square, total strangers out helping each other & clearing the sidestreets, very jolly vibe overall. In any case, I made my way down to Armitage produce and they were open & well stocked. Managed to snag a bag of flour tortillas, alas, as I suspected, corn tortillas not available. I'm guessing only people living near where they are made will enjoy them today.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #81 - February 2nd, 2011, 3:40 pm
    Post #81 - February 2nd, 2011, 3:40 pm Post #81 - February 2nd, 2011, 3:40 pm
    David Hammond wrote:

Regards,

I remember reading about that when I was a kid, and I wanted to do it but my mom said it was bad to eat snow because of the Strongium 90 (and other pollutants) in the atmosphere. Still sounds llike a cool idea to me.

My mom's family was from Toronto, and mom said when she was growing up, they did this all the time. I always felt she should have introduced us to the tradition, but she's not quite as fond of maple syrup as I am, or of snow, for that matter. So it's still on the "someday" list. I'll just have to make sure I have some maple syrup i the house next year, and then when it snows, boil it and then pour it on the snow. It just sounds too good to miss.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #82 - February 2nd, 2011, 7:14 pm
    Post #82 - February 2nd, 2011, 7:14 pm Post #82 - February 2nd, 2011, 7:14 pm
    I ended up grilling a couple steaks last night. Not a good idea. I take a certain amount of pride in doing stupid things, but that was really beyond the pale stupid. Steaks came out fine, although I did not fare so well myself. I tried taking photos, but was afraid I broke my camera just by bringing out in the storm (it came back to life after recharging/drying out overnight).

My wife and I had a snow day (working from home) and went to Revolution Brewing for lunch. Things started to really pick up there around 1:30-2 and I think they're in for a very busy night. They obviously had a reduced staff but did a good job of keeping things moving and kept the quality up. I may have broken a personal tipping record just to thank the staff that actually showed up to work there today.

Darren72 wrote:The differences are small and are easily avoided by drinking in, wait for it, moderation.

What is this Mahd-er-ay-shun (?) of which you speak? Is it some sort of new agey thing?
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #83 - February 2nd, 2011, 7:20 pm
    Post #83 - February 2nd, 2011, 7:20 pm Post #83 - February 2nd, 2011, 7:20 pm

This is a big thing in Vermont (and a few other parts of northern New England). I love Maple Syrup, and to be honest I never understood why people do it. It tastes OK, but after a short period of time the snow starts to melt and the candied syrup hardens and the whole thing is just a mess. It has a two minute life span at most. Overall I think Candied Maple Syrup is a great thing (to put on anything other than snow).
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #84 - February 3rd, 2011, 7:37 am
    Post #84 - February 3rd, 2011, 7:37 am Post #84 - February 3rd, 2011, 7:37 am
    Mrs. riddlemay, a photographer who posts on Flickr a lot, pointed me to the Flickr page of this guy named Viewminder--who may be an LTHer under a different user name, for all I know--who clearly knows how to make the best of a blizzardy situation, food-wise.
  • Post #85 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:19 am
    Post #85 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:19 am Post #85 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:19 am
    I did nothing really interesting yesterday except use it as an excuse to have two different hot chocolates. One made with water and a shitload of marshmallows (lunch, after 90 minutes of digging out and playing in the snow like a toddler) and the other a Sipping Chocolate (can't remember the brand) with milk and no marshmallows. I didn't buy enough cream cheese so I couldn't make my cheesecake, and I was so pissed. And if only Mother Nature could have made this snow shower for today, I could have been baking for Chocolate Sunday. :x
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #86 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:49 am
    Post #86 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:49 am Post #86 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:49 am
    I missed yesterday's food section since no newspaper was found. Wrapped in today's newspaper was yesterday's, so the hunt for the missing newspaper has been suspended.
    Cathy2

• Post #87 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:54 am
    Post #87 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:54 am Post #87 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:54 am
    I think my Wednesday tribune is buried, as today's looks mighty thin.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #88 - February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm
    Post #88 - February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm Post #88 - February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I missed yesterday's food section since no newspaper was found. Wrapped in today's newspaper was yesterday's, so the hunt for the missing newspaper has been suspended.

Mine too. I was glad because I like the Wednesday paper for the food ads.
    -Mary
  • Post #89 - February 3rd, 2011, 12:03 pm
    Post #89 - February 3rd, 2011, 12:03 pm Post #89 - February 3rd, 2011, 12:03 pm
    Geo wrote:We do it fer shure up here in Québec—look at my last couple of pix here.
    Geo

Gosh, Geo, thanks for linking to your cabanes a sucre post. It is one of my all-time LTH favorites. And it reminds me of my day at the Maple Syrup fest in Hebron, CT. There, they make maple syrup cotton candy- truly delicious! I post this now, thinking that there may be time for those who are interested to plan a getaway to Quebec or Connecticut in time for maple syrup season, though perhaps we have all had enough of snow. Hawaii, anyone?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more