LTH Home

Spice Advice

Spice Advice
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - November 20th, 2020, 11:06 am
    Post #31 - November 20th, 2020, 11:06 am Post #31 - November 20th, 2020, 11:06 am
    Hi- Thanks Ronnie. I just got an order from them, and so I am on their email list, but I did not get that one about the Evanston store opening. Apparently all of his stores have been touchless for a while. He said that none of his employees have gotten the virus. He is trying to promote his stores to take pressure off of his mail order business. He is afraid he will not be able to keep up with his mail order business. He also has nutmeg, poultry stuffing seasoning, and one other Thanksgiving seasoning on sale for $1, but only at one of his stores, and he has some gift box coupons that can also only be used at one of his stores.

When I ordered a gift card from him a few weeks ago, I was supposed to get a free mug, but then they ran out, and so now I can just pick it up at the Evanston store when they get more in.

He is also encouraging people to not travel for Thanksgiving. I was not planning on doing it, but I am sure a lot of people will go somewhere. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #32 - December 27th, 2020, 4:52 pm
    Post #32 - December 27th, 2020, 4:52 pm Post #32 - December 27th, 2020, 4:52 pm
    Hi- I just got an email from Penzey's. Through 12/28 if you order $5 worth of spices from them, you get your choice of a 1/2 cup jar of one of their spices. I assume you can get the free jar if you order online, and then pick it up at one of their stores too. They are currently lowering the amount needed for free shipping to $25. They seem to have a lot more deals than Spice House, although Spice House has free shipping if you order everything in one of their flat packs. Last week Penzey's had a deal where you could get any of their small bags for $1.

Does anybody use any of Penzey's salt free seasoning? I got three different salt free seasonings for free including Revolution, Justice and Mural of Flavor which I have not used yet. I am still waiting for my free mug too.
  • Post #33 - December 27th, 2020, 6:41 pm
    Post #33 - December 27th, 2020, 6:41 pm Post #33 - December 27th, 2020, 6:41 pm
    NFriday wrote:Does anybody use any of Penzey's salt free seasoning? I got three different salt free seasonings for free including Revolution, Justice and Mural of Flavor which I have not used yet.

I received free packets of Justice in a couple recent orders. It's mainly dried alliums and I like it a lot but I definitely use it in combination with salt. Not sure if I'd actually purchase it though, because premixed seasoning blends are not usually my thing.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #34 - December 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm
    Post #34 - December 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm Post #34 - December 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm
    Apparently Penzey's throws something extra in all of their orders. With my order I also got a love magnet, but I am still waiting on my mug which they ran out of. I think Justice is the one that is supposed to be good with pork and turkey.
  • Post #35 - January 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm
    Post #35 - January 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm Post #35 - January 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm
    Hi- I receive regular emails from Bill Penzey now. He reports that he has lost quite a few customers because of his political leanings, but it sounds like he has gained more customers. He was super busy over the holidays. Right now he has a free shipping with any $25 order deal, and he has a get the fifth item for free. He also has garlic, cinnamon, cumin and black pepper on sale. He is also giving every person a V is for victory pin. Last week he gave everyone some commemorative coins. They are still doing the contactless sales at their stores. You order online and then somebody from the store calls you up and schedules a time for you to pick up your purchase at the store. I am still waiting for my love mug which they ran out of in November. The coins and the pin I don't want, and hopefully I can tell them not to include that type of stuff in my order.

They do have one ounce bags of spices which they have put on sale for $1 occasionally. Does anybody know if I place an order online, and then pick it up at one of their stores, if they still include the free spice sample, or if that is only for mail order purchases? Right now I have three different spice blends that I got for free, and I have not used any of them yet, although I might use the mural of flavor in some root soup I am going to make this weekend. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #36 - June 12th, 2021, 1:05 am
    Post #36 - June 12th, 2021, 1:05 am Post #36 - June 12th, 2021, 1:05 am
    Both the Evanston and Naperville Penzeys store are open for business. I get emails from them all the time about whatever deal they are having. For instance right now they have cinnamon on sale for $1 a jar. When you go to the store, will they also have the deals, or do you have to order online and then do store pickup to get the deals?
  • Post #37 - July 10th, 2021, 1:26 pm
    Post #37 - July 10th, 2021, 1:26 pm Post #37 - July 10th, 2021, 1:26 pm
    Hi- I got an email from Penzey's today. Through tomorrow they are giving away a 1/4 cup jar of granulated garlic and a 1/4 cup jar of curry, or a 1/4 cup jar of thyme, and a 1/4 cup jar of smoked paprika. You can go to their website and print the coupon to get it free at one of their stores, or you can show them the email they sent you on your phone. This offer is good only through 7/11. You can also get it for free online with the code ONE but then you have to pay for shipping.
  • Post #38 - July 10th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    Post #38 - July 10th, 2021, 9:29 pm Post #38 - July 10th, 2021, 9:29 pm
    Looks like the Penzey's free spices offer doesn't work correctly online. I tried to do an in-store pickup order and the codes don't add anything to the cart. YMMV, but I suspect that going to their store is the only way to get the free spices. It's a good deal if you are near a store and can go tomorrow.
  • Post #39 - July 11th, 2021, 11:19 am
    Post #39 - July 11th, 2021, 11:19 am Post #39 - July 11th, 2021, 11:19 am
    tjr wrote:Looks like the Penzey's free spices offer doesn't work correctly online. I tried to do an in-store pickup order and the codes don't add anything to the cart. YMMV, but I suspect that going to their store is the only way to get the free spices. It's a good deal if you are near a store and can go tomorrow.

Yes, the offer is for in-store only . . .

=R=
  • Post #40 - July 11th, 2021, 7:03 pm
    Post #40 - July 11th, 2021, 7:03 pm Post #40 - July 11th, 2021, 7:03 pm
    Thanks, Ron, I didn't decode the fine print carefully enough. Hope someone here was able to pick up some of these. It's a good deal and I rarely feel bad about taking full advantage of Penzey's offers since the prices are now high compared to the good old days.
  • Post #41 - July 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    Post #41 - July 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm Post #41 - July 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    tjr wrote:Thanks, Ron, I didn't decode the fine print carefully enough. Hope someone here was able to pick up some of these. It's a good deal and I rarely feel bad about taking full advantage of Penzey's offers since the prices are now high compared to the good old days.

They really buried it and it was worded confusingly. That said, I'm on their email list and they run decent specials all the time. And yes, I agree. Spice prices are high these days, so it's always good to take advantage of a special offer.

=R=
  • Post #42 - July 11th, 2021, 8:23 pm
    Post #42 - July 11th, 2021, 8:23 pm Post #42 - July 11th, 2021, 8:23 pm
    The offer should work online, but you will have to pay for shipping if you're ordering less than $40 worth of stuff. The code does lower shipping to $4.95, though.

So we are to the point in our no purchase needed, flat-out-free-if-you-can-get-to-one-of-our-stores spice offer where our stores are all closed, but don’t fret. We have the free shipping at $40, but through midnight we’ve also temporarily dropped the price for shipping small orders by $4 to just $4.95.

If you want to get just a few items, or even nothing more than your choice of the free $7.90 really good Garlic/Ginger combo or free really good Thyme/Smoked Paprika combo, now is the time.

Just visit us online at penzeys.com and enter One in the apply code box at checkout for the Granulated Garlic and Powdered Ginger 1/4-cup jars, enter Two for the 1/4-cup Jars of French Thyme and Smoked Paprika. And no need for you to place the jars in your cart. Your choice of the codes will do that for you and for free. It really is easy.
  • Post #43 - August 14th, 2021, 2:29 pm
    Post #43 - August 14th, 2021, 2:29 pm Post #43 - August 14th, 2021, 2:29 pm
    Hi- I received an email from Penzey today, about a deal where you can get a free bottle of their Mexican vanilla if you buy anything else from them. The deal ends tomorrow. If you go into one of their stores, you either have to print the coupon for the bottle of vanilla and bring the coupon into the store, or show the email on your phone. This means you have to sign up to receive their emails if you are not already. Once you sign up to receive emails from them though you usually get at least one email a day from them, and Bill Penzey often gets into politics in his emails, and that might turn some people off.

They also have a code you can use to get the free vanilla online, but there is a minimum amount you have to purchase to get free shipping. I think it is $40. They also have some deals on some spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg, and I believe you can walk into one of their stores and purchase a bottle of nutmeg for $1, and get the bottle of vanilla which is worth $13.95 for free.

The Evanston store is now open for shopping, and this weekend there is an art fair through tomorrow in downtown Evanston. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #44 - August 26th, 2021, 2:12 pm
    Post #44 - August 26th, 2021, 2:12 pm Post #44 - August 26th, 2021, 2:12 pm
    12 days from order placed until delivery, only 3 of which were transit time. As much as I appreciate their quality and the frequent specials they offer, Penzey's is not the place to order from online if you're in any sort of a hurry (or even if you have a week to spare).

=R=
  • Post #45 - August 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm
    Post #45 - August 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm Post #45 - August 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:12 days from order placed until delivery, only 3 of which were transit time. As much as I appreciate their quality and the frequent specials they offer, Penzey's is not the place to order from online if you're in any sort of a hurry (or even if you have a week to spare).

Penzey's is not alone with delayed shipping. Pretty much every online order I've placed recently comes with a disclaimer that there are shipping delays.
    -Mary
  • Post #46 - August 26th, 2021, 3:30 pm
    Post #46 - August 26th, 2021, 3:30 pm Post #46 - August 26th, 2021, 3:30 pm
    The GP wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:12 days from order placed until delivery, only 3 of which were transit time. As much as I appreciate their quality and the frequent specials they offer, Penzey's is not the place to order from online if you're in any sort of a hurry (or even if you have a week to spare).

Penzey's is not alone with delayed shipping. Pretty much every online order I've placed recently comes with a disclaimer that there are shipping delays.

Understood and I'm sympathetic but this seemed particularly lengthy.

=R=
  • Post #47 - August 26th, 2021, 10:50 pm
    Post #47 - August 26th, 2021, 10:50 pm Post #47 - August 26th, 2021, 10:50 pm
    Ron, did your order come by one of the services that use the post office for the last-mile delivery? Like SmartPost or DHL? These seem to drag on f..o..r..e..v..e..r before the packages show up.
  • Post #48 - August 26th, 2021, 11:32 pm
    Post #48 - August 26th, 2021, 11:32 pm Post #48 - August 26th, 2021, 11:32 pm
    I was just on Penzey's website, and they say that they are really busy right now, and they estimate that it will take 5-7 business days to get the order out the door.

Has anybody been to the Evanston store of Spice House lately? I was wondering what the minimum is you have to buy at their store. Is it 2 ounces, or do they allow sales of one ounce? I still have a $30 GC that I got from Penzey's 3-4 months ago that I have not used yet, and their store is closer for me, and so I might just go there to get spices. Most of my spices are getting old, and I need to replace them.
  • Post #49 - August 27th, 2021, 4:56 am
    Post #49 - August 27th, 2021, 4:56 am Post #49 - August 27th, 2021, 4:56 am
    NFriday wrote:Has anybody been to the Evanston store of Spice House lately?

Yes, last week and they are/were open for walk-in customers. Not sure on minimums, I call in my order and its ready when I arrive. I typically add a few impromptu items, no problems. I don't buy in small quantities so would not encounter minimums if in force.

As a side note, simply walking into the Spice House makes me smile. I love the scent/aroma of the spices.

Spice House remains my number one pick for spices.

Spice House, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #50 - September 20th, 2021, 2:45 pm
    Post #50 - September 20th, 2021, 2:45 pm Post #50 - September 20th, 2021, 2:45 pm
    Does anyone know why The Spice House and Penzeys don't put the "Nutritional Facts" disclosure (aka the nutritional label) on their products? When I look at other spice blends I've got in my cabinet (ex: Urban Accents, Magic Seasonings) they all have that disclosure. But I don't find them on either the Spice House or Penzeys products.

I like the blends; I use them often as rubs or as a base for a paste-style marinade. But it sure seems like the sodium levels of these long-standing blends keep going up. Maybe I'm becoming salt-sensitive. I know the ingredient list is a hint, and there are salt-free alternatives, but am curious why they don't have to disclose it. Not big enough for federal labeling laws maybe?

Curious if anyone else know.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Post #51 - September 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Post #51 - September 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm Post #51 - September 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    It is probably because they do not generate enough sales to require it. Maybe post on both SH and Penzey's Facebook page, and see what they say.
  • Post #52 - September 20th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    Post #52 - September 20th, 2021, 6:50 pm Post #52 - September 20th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    BadgerDave wrote:Does anyone know why The Spice House and Penzeys don't put the "Nutritional Facts" disclosure (aka the nutritional label) on their products? When I look at other spice blends I've got in my cabinet (ex: Urban Accents, Magic Seasonings) they all have that disclosure. But I don't find them on either the Spice House or Penzeys products.

I like the blends; I use them often as rubs or as a base for a paste-style marinade. But it sure seems like the sodium levels of these long-standing blends keep going up. Maybe I'm becoming salt-sensitive. I know the ingredient list is a hint, and there are salt-free alternatives, but am curious why they don't have to disclose it. Not big enough for federal labeling laws maybe?

Curious if anyone else know.

Thanks,
    Dave

Sodium content is listed at https://www.thespicehouse.com/pages/sodium-contents-1

I would contact them directly if you want specific information.
  • Post #53 - September 21st, 2021, 10:10 am
    Post #53 - September 21st, 2021, 10:10 am Post #53 - September 21st, 2021, 10:10 am
    G Wiv wrote:As a side note, simply walking into the Spice House makes me smile. I love the scent/aroma of the spices.

Does the Spice House still have jars and containers of spices on the shelves? I haven't been there since spring 2020. Got the impression that the new owners were moving to all prepackaged products from some of their posts.
  • Post #54 - November 12th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Post #54 - November 12th, 2022, 2:29 pm Post #54 - November 12th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Hi- I got an email from Penzey's. They have a deal right now where you can get a 1/2 cup container of any spice of your choice for free. You have to either go to the store, and show them the email on your phone, or print the coupon and hand it to them. You can also do this online, but to get free shipping online, you have to purchase $40 worth of spices. This offer is only good through midnight 11/13. The coupon code to enter if you order online, is GOOD. The Evanston store is open until 600pm tonight, and is open 1100-6:00pm, tomorrow.
  • Post #55 - November 14th, 2022, 9:23 am
    Post #55 - November 14th, 2022, 9:23 am Post #55 - November 14th, 2022, 9:23 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I got an email from Penzey's. They have a deal right now where you can get a 1/2 cup container of any spice of your choice for free. You have to either go to the store, and show them the email on your phone, or print the coupon and hand it to them. You can also do this online, but to get free shipping online, you have to purchase $40 worth of spices. This offer is only good through midnight 11/13. The coupon code to enter if you order online, is GOOD. The Evanston store is open until 600pm tonight, and is open 1100-6:00pm, tomorrow.

They extended this deal through today, November 14.
    -Mary
  • Post #56 - November 14th, 2022, 10:22 am
    Post #56 - November 14th, 2022, 10:22 am Post #56 - November 14th, 2022, 10:22 am
    NFriday wrote:you can get a 1/2 cup container of any spice of your choice for free.

I was hoping for saffron, but, no ...
  • Post #57 - November 14th, 2022, 10:42 am
    Post #57 - November 14th, 2022, 10:42 am Post #57 - November 14th, 2022, 10:42 am
    nr706 wrote:
    NFriday wrote:you can get a 1/2 cup container of any spice of your choice for free.

I was hoping for saffron, but, no ...

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this originally. :D
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #58 - November 14th, 2022, 2:25 pm
    Post #58 - November 14th, 2022, 2:25 pm Post #58 - November 14th, 2022, 2:25 pm
    There is a limit of $12.95 for the Penzey's free coupon. I went in there Saturday, and got a free bottle of Vietnamese cinnamon. I almost considered mulling spices. A half ounce of saffron is $95.00. When I went to the Evanston store, I was the only customer there at 5:30. I am surprised that there weren't more people redeeming the coupon.
  • Post #59 - November 14th, 2022, 2:34 pm
    Post #59 - November 14th, 2022, 2:34 pm Post #59 - November 14th, 2022, 2:34 pm
    Hi- I just realized that Penzey's sells most of their spices in glass containers, and so you do not get the wonderful smell you get when you go into Spice House. Penzey's is closer for me though, and they have much better sales than the Spice House does.
  • Post #60 - November 14th, 2022, 4:10 pm
    Post #60 - November 14th, 2022, 4:10 pm Post #60 - November 14th, 2022, 4:10 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I just realized that Penzey's sells most of their spices in glass containers, and so you do not get the wonderful smell you get when you go into Spice House. Penzey's is closer for me though, and they have much better sales than the Spice House does.

Agreed. Spice House has gone way down. Plus knowing behind the scenes stuff at their former Skokie warehouse. Eh.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more