LTH Home

Replacing my Le Creuset pot?

Replacing my Le Creuset pot?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Replacing my Le Creuset pot?

    Post #1 - July 10th, 2011, 11:48 am
    Post #1 - July 10th, 2011, 11:48 am Post #1 - July 10th, 2011, 11:48 am
    Well, after eight hours of stirring a sauce Bolognese yesterday, my 40-yr-old orange 7-qt Le Creuset
    dutch oven bit the dust: 3 new chips, one of them huge—size of a quarter. RIP. So now the eternal question: do I spend the $280 to get the new Le Creuset? or go with the Lodge? I know that Lodge is an olde American company, and I've used their cast iron stuff lots of times. But I've never had any experience with their porcelined cast iron. Does anyone out there in LTH-land have some relevant experience they can share with me? I'd be much obliged.

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #2 - July 10th, 2011, 12:27 pm
    Post #2 - July 10th, 2011, 12:27 pm Post #2 - July 10th, 2011, 12:27 pm
    Pretty sure Le Creuset will replace it due to their lifetime guarantee. You should get in touch with them before shopping.
  • Post #3 - July 10th, 2011, 12:34 pm
    Post #3 - July 10th, 2011, 12:34 pm Post #3 - July 10th, 2011, 12:34 pm
    Tnx Double-g, I didn't know about that... I'll check it out immediately.

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #4 - July 10th, 2011, 1:22 pm
    Post #4 - July 10th, 2011, 1:22 pm Post #4 - July 10th, 2011, 1:22 pm
    ...if le creuset won't replace it, i'd check on ebay for a used, chipless pot. i've bought some that way, very reasonably priced. justjoan
  • Post #5 - July 11th, 2011, 7:13 am
    Post #5 - July 11th, 2011, 7:13 am Post #5 - July 11th, 2011, 7:13 am
    There is also an outlet store in Kenosha.

    But I'd go with Staub over Le Creuset. In addition to the reasons I listed in that post, people claim that the black interior of Staubs promotes browning better than the LC.

    I haven't tried enamanel cast iron pans from Lodge, though I have about 6 of their raw cast iron pans.
  • Post #6 - July 11th, 2011, 2:43 pm
    Post #6 - July 11th, 2011, 2:43 pm Post #6 - July 11th, 2011, 2:43 pm
    I don't believe LeCreuset are worth the price. I have a Mario Batali 6qt and it works awesome and was 140 less than a comprable LC verson. A Lodge would be even cheaper than that. Unless you really use it a lot, I'd buy a cheaper one and use the extra money on some other kitchen equipment.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #7 - November 23rd, 2019, 6:50 pm
    Post #7 - November 23rd, 2019, 6:50 pm Post #7 - November 23rd, 2019, 6:50 pm
    My Le Creuset pieces perform great and they've held up extremely well over the 2+ decades I've owned (most of) them. On that basis alone, I'd say they are worth the money. I've added to my collection when sale opportunities have come up over the years. But in the end, 2 or 3 of my LC pieces get heavy use, while most of the others get occasional use at the most. And I've never had to replace or repair one.

    I also have a few Staub pieces (also bought at a deep discount) but I prefer LC. If I had to replace any pieces, I wouldn't switch from Le Creuset to Staub. The main area in which I feel Staub is superior is in the aesthetics. Their colors are more attractive. Their glossier finishes are stunning and the metallic knobs add a very cool accent. The more engineered interiors of their lids are definitely more functional but that doesn't really move the needle for me because the LC lids have never seemed deficient.

    Where I think LC is clearly superior is inside the pot. The lighter color is leaps and bounds ahead of Staub, and makes it much easier to see what's going on in the vessel. I find it almost impossible to know what's going on in the bottom of a Staub, especially when trying to develop a fond. In a Staub, you simply cannot see how dark what you're cooking is getting because the inside of the pot is black. I also think the smoother surface of the LC interiors provides a more favorable non-stick environment. The slightly rough surface of the Staubs is problematic. Perhaps for a straight liquid cook with no preliminary sear, the Staub might be as good. But I mainly use these pieces to braise and braising almost always starts with a sear. For that reason alone, I cannot envision ever consistently choosing Staub over Le Creuset.

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #8 - November 24th, 2019, 9:41 pm
    Post #8 - November 24th, 2019, 9:41 pm Post #8 - November 24th, 2019, 9:41 pm
    Great review, Ronnie! You really rounded up the reasons. Thanks!
    --Joy
  • Post #9 - November 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm
    Post #9 - November 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm Post #9 - November 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My Le Creuset pieces perform great and they've held up extremely well over the 2+ decades I've owned (most of) them. On that basis alone, I'd say they are worth the money. I've added to my collection when sale opportunities have come up over the years. But in the end, 2 or 3 of my LC pieces get heavy use, while most of the others get occasional use at the most. And I've never had to replace or repair one.

    I also have a few Staub pieces (also bought at a deep discount) but I prefer LC. If I had to replace any pieces, I wouldn't switch from Le Creuset to Staub. The main area in which I feel Staub is superior is in the aesthetics. Their colors are more attractive. Their glossier finishes are stunning and the metallic knobs add a very cool accent. The more engineered interiors of their lids are definitely more functional but that doesn't really move the needle for me because the LC lids have never seemed deficient.

    Where I think LC is clearly superior is inside the pot. The lighter color is leaps and bounds ahead of Staub, and makes it much easier to see what's going on in the vessel. I find it almost impossible to know what's going on in the bottom of a Staub, especially when trying to develop a fond. In a Staub, you simply cannot see how dark what you're cooking is getting because the inside of the pot is black. I also think the smoother surface of the LC interiors provides a more favorable non-stick environment. The slightly rough surface of the Staubs is problematic. Perhaps for a straight liquid cook with no preliminary sear, the Staub might be as good. But I mainly use these pieces to braise and braising almost always starts with a sear. For that reason alone, I cannot envision ever consistently choosing Staub over Le Creuset.

    =R=


    Ronnie, agree with Joy. Very thoughtful comparison. I had been leaning towards Staub, if recommending one over the other, but you make some good points regarding LC.

    The casting of the Staub pot and lid is nicer (seems more substantial than LC), the metal knob is more appropriate for a pan of this price and quality), and I do like the design of the interior of the lid. In recent years LC has created a lot more colors which would be a nice option that Staub doesn't have.

    For me, pros and cons to the interiors. I like the smooth LC interior but over the years those light color interiors have become permanently darkened and really look cruddy. I prefer Staub's black interior, even though it isn't a smooth finish. We mainly use old cast iron (with smooth finishes) skillets for stove top and oven roasting, so I guess the black interior doesn't bug me. I will admit the only Staub I have is a 4 quart, so I didn't use that pan for searing, would have used one of our larger LC's. Agree, the pebbled interior isn't ideal for searing, but we aren't searing meat anymore. If one of them made a smooth black interior it may be the deciding factor.

    I've lusted after a 13 quart LC (think the 13 qt Staub is a recent addition to their line) for many years, but never able to pull the trigger for a pan I wouldn't use that often.
  • Post #10 - November 26th, 2019, 1:36 pm
    Post #10 - November 26th, 2019, 1:36 pm Post #10 - November 26th, 2019, 1:36 pm
    Hi,

    I have a 6.5 quart Dutch oven made in France and purchased at Costco. It cost less than $70 when I bought it.

    I especially like the interior lid with the ribs to help redirect moisture back into the pot. I will often take wax paper to create a barrier at the surface, too, sometimes.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #11 - November 26th, 2019, 2:18 pm
    Post #11 - November 26th, 2019, 2:18 pm Post #11 - November 26th, 2019, 2:18 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:I like the smooth LC interior but over the years those light color interiors have become permanently darkened and really look cruddy.

    A true cook's badge of honor (as long as there's no damage). :D

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #12 - November 30th, 2019, 12:56 pm
    Post #12 - November 30th, 2019, 12:56 pm Post #12 - November 30th, 2019, 12:56 pm
    It's on backorder, but the 7qt Staub round dutch oven in black is currently only 119. That seems to be a huge bargain

    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/staub-7- ... te/s258861
  • Post #13 - December 1st, 2019, 12:08 pm
    Post #13 - December 1st, 2019, 12:08 pm Post #13 - December 1st, 2019, 12:08 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:It's on backorder, but the 7qt Staub round dutch oven in black is currently only 119. That seems to be a huge bargain

    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/staub-7- ... te/s258861


    Thanks for the tip! Not sure I needed this, but couldn't pass at this price.

    C&B now changed their message from backordered to no longer available online, but I found it from another source for $116.99 with free shipping!

    https://www.houzz.com/products/dutch-ovens-and-casseroles/?productId=52403985&redirect=-1&m_refid=PLA_HZ_52403985_1588487270&device=c&nw=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-JygtoCV5gIVw__jBx3i-A9dEAkYCSABEgI-4_D_BwE
  • Post #14 - December 1st, 2019, 4:53 pm
    Post #14 - December 1st, 2019, 4:53 pm Post #14 - December 1st, 2019, 4:53 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:Thanks for the tip! Not sure I needed this, but couldn't pass at this price.


    Ditto. Would've preferred a le creuset, but at this price, it was too good not to order
  • Post #15 - December 1st, 2019, 6:55 pm
    Post #15 - December 1st, 2019, 6:55 pm Post #15 - December 1st, 2019, 6:55 pm
    Al, when I click on that houzz link what I see is a pot that looks like a Staub pot, but is marked with a different name. Is that actually a Staub pot?
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #16 - December 2nd, 2019, 4:49 pm
    Post #16 - December 2nd, 2019, 4:49 pm Post #16 - December 2nd, 2019, 4:49 pm
    Not sure how significant the savings really are but Sur La Table is currently running a Cyber Monday sale on Le Creuset. Their website says you can "save up to 50% off" but with brands like these, it's often difficult to know what that really means.

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #17 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm
    Post #17 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm Post #17 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm
    I've found best prices/deals on Le Creuset at Le Creuset Outlet Stores. I've picked up some amazing deals including a 13.25 quart, after bundling different discounts, for substantial savings. Still expensive* but if I ever want to slow simmer a baby hippo I have the correct tool for the job.

    *No longer remember actual price it was 20-years ago, just that comparatively it was an excellent deal. This was at the Le Creuset outlet in Pleasant Prairie, WI.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm
    Post #18 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm Post #18 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I've found best prices/deals on Le Creuset at Le Creuset Outlet Stores. I've picked up some amazing deals including a 13.25 quart, after bundling different discounts, for substantial savings. Still expensive* but if I ever want to slow simmer a baby hippo I have the correct tool for the job.

    *No longer remember actual price it was 20-years ago, just that comparatively it was an excellent deal. This was at the Le Creuset outlet in Pleasant Prairie, WI.

    LOL, yes. Very effing expensive. Even with this current SLT "sale," the 7.25-quart, round dutch oven comes in at $384.95. I don't remember exactly what I paid for mine because it was a long time ago but it wasn't on sale and it was definitely way cheaper than that. Harrumph! :x

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #19 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:41 pm
    Post #19 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:41 pm Post #19 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:41 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:LOL, yes. Very effing expensive. Even with this current SLT "sale," the 7.25-quart, round dutch oven comes in at $384.95. I don't remember exactly what I paid for mine because it was a long time ago but it wasn't on sale and it was definitely way cheaper than that. Harrumph! :x

    I bought a 7.25-quart about 5-6 years ago at the Rosemont Le Creuset Outlet Store. Don't remember the exact price but I'm pretty sure it was well under $200. Only downside was putting up with the insane pushy chattering personal space oblivious crowds as I was dumb enough to go on a weekend.

    As an aside, a 5.5-quart round dutch oven lived on my stove top for years, used it often, it was replaced by the 7.25-quart the day I brought it home. The 13.25 lives in the basement but I just brought it upstairs to use for chili oil tomorrow morning for the LTH Holiday party on Thursday.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm
    Post #20 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm Post #20 - December 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm
    G Wiv wrote:As an aside, a 5.5-quart round dutch oven lived on my stove top for years, used it often, it was replaced by the 7.25-quart the day I brought it home. The 13.25 lives in the basement but I just brought it upstairs to use for chili oil tomorrow morning for the LTH Holiday party on Thursday.

    Very nice! That's got to be the ideal vessel for chili oil. And if one were so outfitted, it could also be used on an induction cooktop, which is especially convenient when maintaining a steady temperature is a priority.

    I also have a 13.25-quart LC and it gets very little use. As you mentioned, it's spectacularly heavy even when it's empty. I used to braise briskets in it but I have a significantly lighter cheapo oval roaster that does as good a job, without the extra bodily distress. One time, many years ago, I used the 13.25 on my 22.5" Weber kettle to cook something, though I cannot for the life of me remember what exactly it was. :?

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #21 - December 2nd, 2019, 6:06 pm
    Post #21 - December 2nd, 2019, 6:06 pm Post #21 - December 2nd, 2019, 6:06 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:One time, many years ago, I used the 13.25 on my 22.5" Weber kettle to cook something, though I cannot for the life of me remember what exactly it was. :?

    Baby hippo?
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - December 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm
    Post #22 - December 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm Post #22 - December 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:One time, many years ago, I used the 13.25 on my 22.5" Weber kettle to cook something, though I cannot for the life of me remember what exactly it was. :?

    Baby hippo?

    LOL, I think you have me confused with nr706! :D

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #23 - December 2nd, 2019, 8:41 pm
    Post #23 - December 2nd, 2019, 8:41 pm Post #23 - December 2nd, 2019, 8:41 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I've found best prices/deals on Le Creuset at Le Creuset Outlet Stores. I've picked up some amazing deals including a 13.25 quart, after bundling different discounts, for substantial savings. Still expensive* but if I ever want to slow simmer a baby hippo I have the correct tool for the job.

    *No longer remember actual price it was 20-years ago, just that comparatively it was an excellent deal. This was at the Le Creuset outlet in Pleasant Prairie, WI.


    Another fan of the Le Creuset outlet here. Like other high quality cookware companies that offer seconds (All-Clad also come to mind), I can't find a flaw in the dutch oven I purchased at the Rosemont outlet. The salesperson sold me on the 9 qt over the 7.25 for not much more money. I've never regretted it. I get a lot more surface area on the bottom and it doesn't take up a ton more storage space. I can't remember what the price was exactly but it was probably $210 or so (I bought some other accessory so I can't recall what % of the purchase was the oven). I went during some after-Christmas sale. I'm sure there were other offers that might have been more savings, but whatever it was plus their already discount made for a savings of some 40-50% off retail (and I expect this oven to last a long time).

    I did buy a Staub for a 4 qt dutch oven that was on some super-sale somewhere before the holidays. I use it occasionally - not enough to have the surface make me feel much of one way or another. It's well-made, though.
  • Post #24 - December 3rd, 2019, 10:06 am
    Post #24 - December 3rd, 2019, 10:06 am Post #24 - December 3rd, 2019, 10:06 am
    I bought an 8 quart Le Creuset year ago at the outlet in Michigan City. It was a close-out color and was steeply discounted. I don't remember how much I paid though. We also have a Cuisinart enameled cast iron pan (10 quart?) that we got for around $90 at Homegoods. Very happy with both of these pans. I can't imagine getting a bigger one -- I have a hard enough time moving these around.
    -Mary
  • Post #25 - December 3rd, 2019, 10:52 am
    Post #25 - December 3rd, 2019, 10:52 am Post #25 - December 3rd, 2019, 10:52 am
    I will not go to the outlet store!
    I will not go to the outlet store!
    I will not go to the outlet store?! :D

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #26 - December 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am
    Post #26 - December 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am Post #26 - December 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I will not go to the outlet store!
    I will not go to the outlet store!
    I will not go to the outlet store?! :D

    =R=

    Let us know what you buy, when you go.
    And of course, your chant didn't include which outlet store you are avoiding.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more