LTH Home

The Spice House

The Spice House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - September 1st, 2020, 8:37 am
    Post #121 - September 1st, 2020, 8:37 am Post #121 - September 1st, 2020, 8:37 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I also bought some of the Chicago Fire rub which is the successor to the Wiviott blend. Seems pretty darn similar to me.....Gary, I hope you are getting royalties.

Royalties, ha, they didn't even invite me to their post-fire reopening party on Wells St. :)

The two blends are the same and, when I mentioned the name change to Patty, she said they also name changed two, or maybe it was more, of the blends her mom named.

I'm friends with a couple of the employees, I interacted with them often as I bought 95% of the spices for Barn & Co from Spice House, plus they did custom blends, from my gram-based rub/wing recipes, for us on an almost weekly basis.

As an aside Spice House does, or at least did, custom chef/restaurant blends for many (many) restaurants. Not available to the public, only to the specific chef/restaurant whose developed the proprietary blend.

In the brief conversations I've had on the subject consensus seems working at Spice House has gone from feeling like one big family to just another job.

That wasn't me. I think you quoted incorrectly. ;)

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #122 - September 1st, 2020, 8:52 am
    Post #122 - September 1st, 2020, 8:52 am Post #122 - September 1st, 2020, 8:52 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:That wasn't me. I think you quoted incorrectly. ;)

You are correct Sir! That was Will G.
    Though, you have to admit, you are pretty darn quotable.

Either way, while not quite a dry peeling peppercorn husk of itself, Spice House changes do not seem to be going in a positive direction for the conscientious consumer.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #123 - September 1st, 2020, 9:19 am
    Post #123 - September 1st, 2020, 9:19 am Post #123 - September 1st, 2020, 9:19 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:That wasn't me. I think you quoted incorrectly. ;)

You are correct Sir! That was Will G.
    Though, you have to admit, you are pretty darn quotable.

Either way, while not quite a dry peeling peppercorn husk of itself, Spice House changes do not seem to be going in a positive direction for the conscientious consumer.

And I really appreciate you sharing your perspective with us since you had a professional relationship with the Erds when they owned the shop.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #124 - September 1st, 2020, 9:21 am
    Post #124 - September 1st, 2020, 9:21 am Post #124 - September 1st, 2020, 9:21 am
    The GP wrote:
    Christopher Gordon wrote:Granulated garlic is in the air! Too bad about The Spice House, that was, once upon a time my Candyland, the one in Old Town. I am broadcasting from The South Tower; we just moved from Manhattan to "very" rural Southern Il. After my lovely visit with ms. corona and the inevitable collapse of urban society...I am still recovering since mid-April. Back to granulated garlic! I went on a scavenger hunt in Charleston and found some a week ago. Granulated garlic, you beautiful beast, certainly not the powder or salt shit your mother spills on homemade sourdough and calls it garlic bread. Feh. I was looking for granulated garlic to recreate Wick Fowlers basic basic basic chile, for the nonce. I ran across it in a 2 oz. packet(in date!) at County Market. That, some cubed chuck(les sigh)...people can't cut their own chuck? In farm country? And, my spices in a masala/slurry. Granulated garlic: thumbs up!

Welcome back to the Midwest, Christopher. Glad you're on the mend.

Thumbs up to that! :)

=R=

• Post #125 - September 1st, 2020, 10:11 am
    Post #125 - September 1st, 2020, 10:11 am Post #125 - September 1st, 2020, 10:11 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:Granulated garlic is in the air! Too bad about The Spice House, that was, once upon a time my Candyland, the one in Old Town. I am broadcasting from The South Tower; we just moved from Manhattan to "very" rural Southern Il. After my lovely visit with ms. corona and the inevitable collapse of urban society...I am still recovering since mid-April.

Welcome Back! And I am glad you are recovering.

Be Well.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #126 - September 1st, 2020, 10:28 am
    Post #126 - September 1st, 2020, 10:28 am Post #126 - September 1st, 2020, 10:28 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:we just moved from Manhattan to "very" rural Southern Il.

Very cool! Welcome back.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #127 - September 1st, 2020, 10:39 am
    Post #127 - September 1st, 2020, 10:39 am Post #127 - September 1st, 2020, 10:39 am
    Altho' I must admit that I (for one) will miss Christopher Gordon's cleverly waspish remarks from The Big City.

But perhaps he will be just as cleverly waspish re: way far downstate Illinois. We can hope!

And glad to hear you're recovering, CG!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #128 - September 1st, 2020, 3:49 pm
    Post #128 - September 1st, 2020, 3:49 pm Post #128 - September 1st, 2020, 3:49 pm
    not to derail, mods move if required: my partner and I are still being f'd by the moving company, if, they arrive on the new date it will be post two weeks...in the meantime I source the family farm garden: making wild lacto fermentation bhut jolokia cucumber pickles and confit grape tomatoes...Fowler's chili...I killed the gigantes cantaloupe ever: back to spices, so, I thought our moving truck would be here a week ago(most of my spices are packed in there somewhere)...I needed to make something of home(chili) and sourced okay stuff including granulated garlic from a Charleston grocery store(the IGA in our town closed down)...ya want anything edible, there's Dollar General. Granulated garlic, smooch.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #129 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am
    Post #129 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am Post #129 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote: I am broadcasting from The South Tower; we just moved from Manhattan to "very" rural Southern Il. After my lovely visit with ms. corona and the inevitable collapse of urban society...I am still recovering since mid-April.

Welcome back Christopher, I have always enjoyed your posts no matter where you were living. I'll be excited to read your spins on rural S. Illinois. I am glad to hear you are on the mend.
  • Post #130 - September 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm
    Post #130 - September 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm Post #130 - September 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm
    thank you...Illinois is a home even as my family homesteaded Texas and I grew up in Houston...

the 70's and 80's

In the near oughts I moved to Uptown next to Essanay Studios, met my fiancee', found LTH after a falling out with Jim Leff of Chowhound, we fought like cats

eventually we moved to The Gold Coast, just off LSD, near the building where they filmed the exteriors for The Omen 2

And, I would walk over to my Candyland, the Chicago Old Town The Spice House.

I would palm from the jars, toss the rest on the floor. The scent. The bags of cinnamon stacked against the walls. The scent.

One oz. bags for when I needed a tiny amount.

For fucking fuck's sake they turned into Penzey's?
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #131 - September 3rd, 2020, 12:42 pm
    Post #131 - September 3rd, 2020, 12:42 pm Post #131 - September 3rd, 2020, 12:42 pm
    Welcome back to Illinois, Christopher, and I hope you continue to recover well.

For now, your best bet for bulk granulated garlic would seem to be to order it online from Costco, but you may be pleased to know that pretty soon you should be able to browse around a real brick-and-mortar Costco not too terribly far from where you are now. A Costco is scheduled to open in Champaign, about 50 miles north of Charleston, in October 2020. (Word on the web is that a Trader Joe's will be opening in Champaign soon too, but that's for another thread).
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #132 - September 27th, 2020, 10:17 pm
    Post #132 - September 27th, 2020, 10:17 pm Post #132 - September 27th, 2020, 10:17 pm
    I walked past Penzey's Evanston store, and there is an opening soon sign, and it looks like the shelves have been stocked, and so hopefully they will open up in the next few weeks.
  • Post #133 - September 28th, 2020, 9:41 am
    Post #133 - September 28th, 2020, 9:41 am Post #133 - September 28th, 2020, 9:41 am
    NFriday wrote:I walked past Penzey's Evanston store, and there is an opening soon sign, and it looks like the shelves have been stocked, and so hopefully they will open up in the next few weeks.

Cannot wait!!
    So long Spice House
  • Post #134 - October 22nd, 2020, 1:21 pm
    Post #134 - October 22nd, 2020, 1:21 pm Post #134 - October 22nd, 2020, 1:21 pm
    Penzey's is still not open yet in Evanston. Does anybody here know if I can get a one ounce bag of any of their spices at their store, or if Spice House has one ounce bags available? I just looked on Spice House's website, and it sounds like you can go into the store now, but they limit the number of customers, and they would prefer that you order online and pick up at the Evanston store. It looks like all of the flat packs are 2 ounces. It would take me forever to use two ounces of rosemary.

It looks like Penzey's stores are still contactless, and I see .1 ounce packages that you can order on line, but I would use up that much in 2 dishes, and it is $1.69 for that much basil.

Also I can also go to the Evanston Farmer's Market, and get dried herbs from Teresa Brockman this Saturday, but I am afraid how much she is going to charge. She will also have goats milk soap, honey, jam, frozen aronea berries, and herb tea. I have bought her soap, and it is good, but I have never bought any of her dried herbs or herb tea. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #135 - October 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm
    Post #135 - October 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm Post #135 - October 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm
    There’s no problem ordering at the Central St. store now. They don’t really let you walk into the store — you order at a counter. At worst, you may have to wait a couple of minutes for the person in front of you to order; it’s never been terribly busy, in my experience. There are more sizes available than on the website, but I can’t remember if 1oz. is one of them.

The downtown Whole Foods used to have spices in the bulk aisle, pre-pandemic — maybe they do again?
  • Post #136 - October 22nd, 2020, 3:14 pm
    Post #136 - October 22nd, 2020, 3:14 pm Post #136 - October 22nd, 2020, 3:14 pm
    The last time I needed some nutmeg a few weeks ago, I went to the downtown Whole Foods store, and yes they had ground nutmeg, no whole nutmeg, and I got .1 ounces and it cost me $2.50. All they had was a total of 7 different spices to choose from, and basil which I am out of, they did not have. The Green Bay Whole Foods does not have a bulk spice section anymore. I get the impression that once they run out of the spices they have right now, they are not planning on ordering any more.

At least on the Spice House's website, they do mention the name of the two new owners. It is not hidden like it was before.

I have been using fresh basil for most of the summer, but pretty soon my basil plants on my balcony aren't going to be viable any more. I might check and see how much Teresa's basil is on Saturday. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #137 - October 22nd, 2020, 6:14 pm
    Post #137 - October 22nd, 2020, 6:14 pm Post #137 - October 22nd, 2020, 6:14 pm
    I'm just tickled everyone seems to think Chucktown is in "Southern" Illinois. We all know the South starts at I70. :lol:
    D.G. Sullivan's, "we're a little bit Irish, and a whole lot of fun"!
  • Post #138 - October 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm
    Post #138 - October 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm Post #138 - October 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm
    D.G.Sullivan wrote:I'm just tickled everyone seems to think Chucktown is in "Southern" Illinois. We all know the South starts at I70. :lol:

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you did ... :lol:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more