LTH Home

recommendations for omelette pan

recommendations for omelette pan
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 8
  • Post #121 - July 4th, 2021, 11:21 am
    Post #121 - July 4th, 2021, 11:21 am Post #121 - July 4th, 2021, 11:21 am
    toria wrote:I make a good omelette and they never stick to the pan. I never put more than three eggs in. I use a small T fal "frying pan" and it works perfectly. This is the kind you can get at Target or pick up at home goods or TJ Maxx. Never fails me.

Almost every omelet I make is in a nonstick Scanpan. Occasionally, I'll bust out the cast iron but the nonstick is much easier, produces a great omelet and is way lighter.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #122 - July 4th, 2021, 1:23 pm
    Post #122 - July 4th, 2021, 1:23 pm Post #122 - July 4th, 2021, 1:23 pm
    Sunday/holiday omelet . . .

Multi-Cheese & Bacon Fat Onions
    Cooked this in rendered bacon fat, after the bacon and onions had cooked. Garnished with chives and onion flower.

=R=
  • Post #123 - July 23rd, 2021, 11:44 pm
    Post #123 - July 23rd, 2021, 11:44 pm Post #123 - July 23rd, 2021, 11:44 pm
    Thai Omelet = dinner.

click to enlarge

Thai Omelet, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #124 - July 24th, 2021, 10:32 am
    Post #124 - July 24th, 2021, 10:32 am Post #124 - July 24th, 2021, 10:32 am
    G Wiv wrote:Thai Omelet = dinner.

Beautiful!

Not an omelet per se but I decided to make another big old scramble for the family this morning . . .

Leftover Sausage, Grilled Onion & Cheese Scramble

=R=
  • Post #125 - August 14th, 2021, 12:39 pm
    Post #125 - August 14th, 2021, 12:39 pm Post #125 - August 14th, 2021, 12:39 pm
    A few aging leftovers, omeletized in a Scanpan, "Professional" nonstick (10") . . .

Leftover Grilled Ukrainian Kielbasa, Grilled Onions & Cheeses
    Garnished with chives and served up with some sliced tomato from our garden (variety unknown) and some toasted and buttered country batard from Middlebrow Bungalow.

=R=
  • Post #126 - September 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    Post #126 - September 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm Post #126 - September 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    Labor Day leftovers omelet . . .

Sausage, Onions & Cheese Omelet
    Garnished with scallion tops. With buttered 'harvest grain' toast.

=R=
  • Post #127 - September 12th, 2021, 1:35 pm
    Post #127 - September 12th, 2021, 1:35 pm Post #127 - September 12th, 2021, 1:35 pm
    Once again, with the 10" nonstick Scanpan . . .

Cheese Omelet
    Garnished with chives. Served with some homemade thick-cut bacon and another Rally tomato from our garden.

=R=
  • Post #128 - September 12th, 2021, 4:10 pm
    Post #128 - September 12th, 2021, 4:10 pm Post #128 - September 12th, 2021, 4:10 pm
    American omelette w/cream cheese, chives, parsley and thyme.

click to enlarge

Omelette, count m a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #129 - September 19th, 2021, 1:39 pm
    Post #129 - September 19th, 2021, 1:39 pm Post #129 - September 19th, 2021, 1:39 pm
    Still working with my No. 1, the 10" nonstick Scanpan, to get the family fed and the fridge emptied . . .

Assorted Cheeses, Leftover Sauteed Mushrooms & Onions

Garnished with chives. Served with homegrown Rally tomatoes and some half-decent grocery store breakfast sausage. This was delicious but I feel like if I get any brown on the omelet, it's not a complete success. :(

=R=
  • Post #130 - September 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm
    Post #130 - September 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm Post #130 - September 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This was delicious but I feel like if I get any brown on the omelet, it's not a complete success. :(

I'm not sure that's true. For a French omelet, yes, absolutely, no brown. For an American/country style omelet, a little brown does not equal a frown.

See 2.54 where JP himself shows us a "beautifully browned country omelet."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU&t=188s
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #131 - September 19th, 2021, 2:07 pm
    Post #131 - September 19th, 2021, 2:07 pm Post #131 - September 19th, 2021, 2:07 pm
    Anybody else using the Misen 10" non-stick? I've had it for a year and it's holding up surprisingly well. I *really* like the stuff from Misen.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #132 - September 19th, 2021, 7:03 pm
    Post #132 - September 19th, 2021, 7:03 pm Post #132 - September 19th, 2021, 7:03 pm
    Geo wrote:Anybody else using the Misen 10" non-stick? I've had it for a year and it's holding up surprisingly well. I *really* like the stuff from Misen.

Geo

I have some other Misen pieces but don't think I have any of their nonstick. I'm not a huge fan of their knives but the stainless and carbon steel cookware I have from them is really nice. In fact, the stainless 6-quart rondeau is one of my very favorite and most used pieces.

=R=
  • Post #133 - September 19th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    Post #133 - September 19th, 2021, 7:05 pm Post #133 - September 19th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This was delicious but I feel like if I get any brown on the omelet, it's not a complete success. :(

I'm not sure that's true. For a French omelet, yes, absolutely, no brown. For an American/country style omelet, a little brown does not equal a frown.

See 2.54 where JP himself shows us a "beautifully browned country omelet."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU&t=188s

Oh, yeah. For sure. I'm just talking about my own preferences and objectives. I generally strive for no brown, even though brown's perfectly acceptable and quite delicious. But how many times can I end up with some brown and say "yeah, I meant to do that."? :D

=R=
  • Post #134 - September 20th, 2021, 7:09 am
    Post #134 - September 20th, 2021, 7:09 am Post #134 - September 20th, 2021, 7:09 am
    Ronnie--

I've also got Misen's carbon steel and their SS skillet and saucier. It is all top-notch stuff. I highly recommend their non-stick 10". I use it for sure at least once a day, have done for over a year, and it isn't even *scratched.* Rugged.

If I may go off-topic for a moment: you are obviously the go-to knife guy here. I've tried just about everyone's typical home cook's line of knives--all the usual French, German, Brazilian, etc.--and since about two years ago have settled on the Misen small chef/utility knife for the 90%-of-my-everyday-tasks knife.

But I ask you: if YOU had to choose that one knife for your 90% of everyday kitchen tasks, what would it be?

For skillets/frying pans, that task is performed for me by the Misen 10" non-stick. And the saucier is my pot of the day. I'm thinking about buying the sauté pan.

What do you use the rondeau for? I've never used one.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #135 - September 20th, 2021, 8:06 am
    Post #135 - September 20th, 2021, 8:06 am Post #135 - September 20th, 2021, 8:06 am
    Geo: I, too, use the Misen utility knife as my go-to. I love that thing. For omelettes I use a Tramontina nonstick 10". Maybe a bit too big but my omelette skillz are weak.
  • Post #136 - September 20th, 2021, 12:43 pm
    Post #136 - September 20th, 2021, 12:43 pm Post #136 - September 20th, 2021, 12:43 pm
    Geo wrote:I've also got Misen's carbon steel and their SS skillet and saucier. It is all top-notch stuff. I highly recommend their non-stick 10". I use it for sure at least once a day, have done for over a year, and it isn't even *scratched.* Rugged.

If I may go off-topic for a moment: you are obviously the go-to knife guy here. I've tried just about everyone's typical home cook's line of knives--all the usual French, German, Brazilian, etc.--and since about two years ago have settled on the Misen small chef/utility knife for the 90%-of-my-everyday-tasks knife.

But I ask you: if YOU had to choose that one knife for your 90% of everyday kitchen tasks, what would it be?

No Japanese? I think many people consider them to be the finest knives. In any case, considering everything, including cost, it'd be something like this:

Yahiko VG10 Damascus Custom Gyuto 210mm

Reasonably priced (especially relative to mainstream German brands), excellent, VG10 stainless steel, and 60 HRC, so it will maintain a decent edge while not being overly prone to chipping. And it's a beautiful piece. But it's important to remember that knife preferences are personal and highly subjective. What I don't like about the Misen -- it's relatively thick above the edge -- might be the exact thing someone else loves about it. I think another big thing that drives knife preferences is the belief that durability equals quality. For some people that's entirely true. For others, performance, versatility or aesthetics may be higher priorities.

But even something like this Mac, is a great, reliable performer:

MAC Chef's Series 8" Chef Knife

Geo wrote:For skillets/frying pans, that task is performed for me by the Misen 10" non-stick. And the saucier is my pot of the day. I'm thinking about buying the sauté pan.

What do you use the rondeau for? I've never used one.

I use it for everything from oil frying, to steaming, to simmering, to smaller braises (it does have low clearance). I especially like it for saute/simmering chicken thighs, pork tenderloin, sausages, etc. There's room for about 9-10 pieces of chicken, 2 tenderloins, multiple sausages, plus vegetables, sauce components, etc. I sear and remove the pieces, dump in veg to release the fond/start a sauce, add whatever liquid components I want, add the chicken back, cover it to cook everything, then remove the cover to reduce it all to where I want it. It can also go in the oven if you want to crisp things up. Extremely versatile, durable and easy to clean/maintain.

Talking a step back, I must own at least one Misen nonstick piece because I received the following email just a few moments ago . . .

in an email, Misen wrote:To Our Misen Community,

We wanted to give you a heads-up that tomorrow, 9/21, we’ll be announcing a new Kickstarter campaign for Misen Nonstick Essentials.

Since you previously purchased our Nonstick Pan, we wanted to share the news with you directly — and by signing up for our SMS alerts, you’ll be the first to hear when the campaign goes live.

Our Nonstick Pan is a truly great product at an exceptional value. And its long-lasting nonstick system and compatibility with all stovetops aren’t changing at all.

In the spirit of taking a good thing and making it better, we’ve made some design improvements to our Nonstick Pan to make it even more enjoyable to use (including a highly requested handle improvement).

We’re also introducing five brand-new cookware pieces, all with the same high-quality Nonstick System.

We hope you’ll be as excited about this new chapter of Essential Nonstick Cookware as we are.

As always, we’re deeply grateful for your support — we truly could not have grown to this point without you. If you have any questions, please reach out to our team at hello@misen.com

Thank you,

— Misen Product Team

I guess they're "improving" the product, though, such proclamations are often indicative of something else.

=R=
  • Post #137 - September 20th, 2021, 2:17 pm
    Post #137 - September 20th, 2021, 2:17 pm Post #137 - September 20th, 2021, 2:17 pm
    Tnx Ronnie, much appreciate the recces. I own a small MAC, after seen Jacques PP use it all the time on tv. : ) I don't prefer it, it's just too small for me. But it *is* a nice knife qua knife.

And I take your points about preferences. D'accord.

And yeah, I just got that notice from Misen, too. I wondered... one thing I wish they could improve about the handle is the silicone sleeve: damn thing won't stay in place, slips all about, sometimes a bit dangerously.

I like your points about the rondeau.

Geo
  • Post #138 - September 20th, 2021, 4:34 pm
    Post #138 - September 20th, 2021, 4:34 pm Post #138 - September 20th, 2021, 4:34 pm
    I have owned a 10" Misen 10" non-stick skillet for two years. The performance is excellent unless you use too much heat and the pan warps. That is a result of the exterior which is aluminium. But that exterior brings up another issue. Cleaning the exterior of an aluminium pan is a nightmare if you really want it really clean.

There is one easy solution; buy a Made-In 10" non-stick with a stainless steel exterior. These pans do not warp, have a beautiful blue non-stick surface and clean to a brand new look in a matter of moments.

My Made-In non-stick 10" and 12" skillets are wonderful.
  • Post #139 - September 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm
    Post #139 - September 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm Post #139 - September 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm
    Tim wrote:I have owned a 10" Misen 10" non-stick skillet for two years. The performance is excellent unless you use too much heat and the pan warps. That is a result of the exterior which is aluminium. But that exterior brings up another issue. Cleaning the exterior of an aluminium pan is a nightmare if you really want it really clean.

There is one easy solution; buy a Made-In 10" non-stick with a stainless steel exterior. These pans do not warp, have a beautiful blue non-stick surface and clean to a brand new look in a matter of moments.

My Made-In non-stick 10" and 12" skillets are wonderful.

Except for their very strange wok, which I gave away, I love all my Made In cookware. Just picked up the newly released 10-quart stainless rondeau, for when the 6-quart Misen isn't quite big enough.

=R=
  • Post #140 - September 21st, 2021, 6:55 am
    Post #140 - September 21st, 2021, 6:55 am Post #140 - September 21st, 2021, 6:55 am
    Geo wrote: typical home cook's line of knives--all the usual French, German, Brazilian, etc.--and since about two years ago have settled on the Misen small chef/utility knife for the 90%-of-my-everyday-tasks knife.

Dude, bruh, boychick, Japanese is the way to go. Ronnie mentions two, I have, on more than on occasion, mentioned my go to of Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyuto Buy one of the three today!

Far as the Misen paring knife, I used it for a while, thought it too thick, dulled too easily and was slightly awkward for delicate tasks. I have a few Japanese petty knives I like, one killer old-school carbon steel Sabatier and the highly rated Wusthof Classic, both paring and tourné.

Speaking of Tourne, my current crush is a $9 tourne/birds peak the Victorinox Classic Tourne 2.5" The bird's Beak Paring Knife is a useful counter knife. Sharp as a razor, handy size and off the charts value for price ratio. I've given a bunch as gifts.

You mention of Brazilian knives brings back memories of my youth. In another life, as a teen, I roamed Copacabana with my trusty Wax-on Wax-off blade. Many tourists were in desperate need of a Brazilian and I made real real, especially for a teen. Plus lots of new friends.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #141 - September 21st, 2021, 7:48 am
    Post #141 - September 21st, 2021, 7:48 am Post #141 - September 21st, 2021, 7:48 am
    Tnx Gary for your always welcome advice. I took Ronnie's advice yesterday and bought that Japanese knife. Let's see how it goes. If I'm not thrilled, I'll try yours next!

I've got the Victorinox "Classic Swiss" paring knife. I've never learned to properly use a tourné, but the classic paring is in and out of my hand a zillion times a day.

I stand in awe, waxing thrilled (so to say) contemplating your close shaves (as it were) on the beach at Copa. How you managed to emerge from that adventure with any residual Precious Bodily Essence is beyond my comprehension. Good on ye!

Geo
  • Post #142 - September 21st, 2021, 8:06 am
    Post #142 - September 21st, 2021, 8:06 am Post #142 - September 21st, 2021, 8:06 am
    Geo wrote:Tnx Gary for your always welcome advice. I took Ronnie's advice yesterday and bought that Japanese knife. Let's see how it goes. If I'm not thrilled, I'll try yours next!

I've got the Victorinox "Classic Swiss" paring knife. I've never learned to properly use a tourné, but the classic paring is in and out of my hand a zillion times a day.

I'm sure you will love Ronnie's suggestion. After a certain point in knives, and most any tool, its the screwer not the screwdriver.

I did not mean to imply I am in my home kitchen watching Ratatouille while making traditional tournée cuts with seven sides on a giant pile of spuds. Trimming radishes, mushrooms, fruits etc is where this knife shines, at least for me.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #143 - September 21st, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #143 - September 21st, 2021, 9:53 am Post #143 - September 21st, 2021, 9:53 am
    Heh-heh, I figured something like that, Gary. But let me say that when I read you short list of tourné tasks I had a sudden image of using that tourné sucker to core a tomato and ¡Bingo! it made all the sense in the world. Hell's Bells, I'm going to order one right now, if only for that--I mess up tomato coring all the time... no longer!

Tnx!

Geo
  • Post #144 - September 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm
    Post #144 - September 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm Post #144 - September 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm
    Back at it today, getting rid of some leftovers via use of my 10" nonstick Scanpan . . .

Broccoli, Onion & Cheddar Omelet
    With toasted/buttered buttercrust white bread, leftover sausage and leftover/reheated homemade bacon.

Loved how 'not brown' I got the eggs but they were very pale in color to begin with, so not the most attractive looking omelet. The depth of color on the farm egg yolks has been pretty varied lately. Flavor is consistently excellent, though.

=R=
  • Post #145 - September 26th, 2021, 2:32 pm
    Post #145 - September 26th, 2021, 2:32 pm Post #145 - September 26th, 2021, 2:32 pm
    Omelettes for breakfast. A demure cheese with chive and parsley for the bride. No picture. A glorious unruly mess of an omelette for me.

Sautéed onion, red jalapeño, diced Romanian Kosher salami. Liberal sprinkle of crushed red pepper. Three well whipped eggs. Sprinkle of grated cheddar.

When it started to set I added pico de gallo and Valentina Hot Sauce Black. I'm sure I’m forgetting something.

Delicious. Messy. Gooey. Toasty. Spicy.

Click to enlarge

Romanian Kosher, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #146 - October 2nd, 2021, 1:03 pm
    Post #146 - October 2nd, 2021, 1:03 pm Post #146 - October 2nd, 2021, 1:03 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Delicious. Messy. Gooey. Toasty. Spicy.

And delicious looking, too! :)

Using my 10" nonstick Scanpan, I recycled some of last night's leftover sausage into today's omelet . . .

Leftover Smoked Sausage, Sauteed Onion & Cheese Omelet
    With chive garnish and buttered harvest grain toast.

=R=
  • Post #147 - October 9th, 2021, 12:12 pm
    Post #147 - October 9th, 2021, 12:12 pm Post #147 - October 9th, 2021, 12:12 pm
    Another weekend, another omelet with the trusty 10" nonstick Scanpan . . .

Shallot, Cheeses & Leftover Sausage
    Chive garnish, toasted/buttered baguette. I'd say I was in a rut if they weren't so tasty. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #148 - October 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm
    Post #148 - October 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm Post #148 - October 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm
    Still working the 10" nonstick Scanpan. This one got away from me a bit (far more brown than I prefer) but it was still pretty tasty -- much tastier than I expected it to be. And as usual, I managed to get rid of many leftovers . . .

Leftovers Omelet
    Sauteed puffball, maitake and oyster mushrooms, mung bean sprouts, cotija and Monterey jack. Garnished with scallion tops.

=R=
  • Post #149 - October 17th, 2021, 2:50 pm
    Post #149 - October 17th, 2021, 2:50 pm Post #149 - October 17th, 2021, 2:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:it was still pretty tasty -- much tastier than I expected it to be.

Delightful!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #150 - October 17th, 2021, 3:15 pm
    Post #150 - October 17th, 2021, 3:15 pm Post #150 - October 17th, 2021, 3:15 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:it was still pretty tasty -- much tastier than I expected it to be.

Delightful!

Thanks. Always nice to be rewarded with a result that was better than expected, especially when the primary goal is just to use up stuff in the fridge. 8)

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more