LTH Home

recommendations for omelette pan

recommendations for omelette pan
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 8
  • Post #181 - April 16th, 2022, 3:36 pm
    Post #181 - April 16th, 2022, 3:36 pm Post #181 - April 16th, 2022, 3:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:8" nonstick Scanpan helped create a great accompaniment for a leftover/reheated piece of potato kugel .

Kugel looked terrific fresh made. I bet it was glorious crisped up in a pan.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #182 - April 16th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Post #182 - April 16th, 2022, 4:16 pm Post #182 - April 16th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:8" nonstick Scanpan helped create a great accompaniment for a leftover/reheated piece of potato kugel .

Thanks. I was giddy when we came home with a few pieces that hadn't been eaten last night. Potato kugel is sublime (in general, not necessarily mine) and I think it should be served at every meal! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #183 - April 17th, 2022, 10:42 am
    Post #183 - April 17th, 2022, 10:42 am Post #183 - April 17th, 2022, 10:42 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

Thanks. I was giddy when we came home with a few pieces that hadn't been eaten last night. Potato kugel is sublime (in general, not necessarily mine) and I think it should be served at every meal! :D

=R=
    Never had kugel, potato or otherwise, so I'll take your word for it being sublime. It sure looks good.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #184 - April 24th, 2022, 2:07 pm
    Post #184 - April 24th, 2022, 2:07 pm Post #184 - April 24th, 2022, 2:07 pm
    Took the 10" nonstick Scanpan back to Omelet Town this morning . . .

Leftovers Omelet
    2 kinds of leftover grilled sausages, cheeses, onions, red hot finger chiles and broccoli. Toasted/buttered French country loaf. Managed to empty out quite a few baggies in the process, which felt great (and was more or less the point).

=R=
  • Post #185 - May 7th, 2022, 12:57 pm
    Post #185 - May 7th, 2022, 12:57 pm Post #185 - May 7th, 2022, 12:57 pm
    Another quickie leftovers omelet earlier today using the Scanpan 10" nonstick . . .

Leftovers Omelet
    This one -- with leftover charcoal-grilled cevaps, some sauteed peppers & onions from who knows when and some assorted cheeses -- did more to clean out the fridge than it did to satisfy. The flavors were kind of weird together, especially the peppers & onions, which I'd originally cooked with some vinegar. That was definitely a discordant note. :roll:

The highlight was the toasted/buttered boule that was baked by a friend.

=R=
  • Post #186 - May 14th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    Post #186 - May 14th, 2022, 12:25 pm Post #186 - May 14th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    Once again, firing up the 10" nonstick Scanpan to RID myself of some old and fading ingredients . . .

Fried Bologna, Scallion & Cheese Omelet

Toasted/buttered aging baguette. Garnished with chives.

=R=
  • Post #187 - May 26th, 2022, 7:12 pm
    Post #187 - May 26th, 2022, 7:12 pm Post #187 - May 26th, 2022, 7:12 pm
    Twee cheese American omelette. Goat, triple cream Brie and Philly cream cheese cause it was there. Nicely browned. Thumbs up from the bride.

click to enlarge

Omelette, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #188 - May 26th, 2022, 11:33 pm
    Post #188 - May 26th, 2022, 11:33 pm Post #188 - May 26th, 2022, 11:33 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Twee cheese American omelette. Goat, triple cream Brie and Philly cream cheese cause it was there. Nicely browned. Thumbs up from the bride.

Well, it looks effing brilliant! What pan did you use? I've yet to have much success with anything but nonsticks when it comes to omelets.

=R=
  • Post #189 - May 27th, 2022, 7:47 am
    Post #189 - May 27th, 2022, 7:47 am Post #189 - May 27th, 2022, 7:47 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What pan did you use? I've yet to have much success with anything but nonsticks when it comes to omelets.

For Frittata, Spanish tortillas and American omelettes I typically use my Matfer Bourgeat 9" or 12 depending on number of eggs. 3-egg French omelettes almost always my Calphalon Classic Nonstick 8-inch.

Pictured omelette, a 4-egg, and was made in my Calphalon Classic Nonstick 10-inch.

When my Calphalon wears out I'm going to try one or two of your beloved Scanpans.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #190 - May 27th, 2022, 12:18 pm
    Post #190 - May 27th, 2022, 12:18 pm Post #190 - May 27th, 2022, 12:18 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What pan did you use? I've yet to have much success with anything but nonsticks when it comes to omelets.

For Frittata, Spanish tortillas and American omelettes I typically use my Matfer Bourgeat 9" or 12 depending on number of eggs. 3-egg French omelettes almost always my Calphalon Classic Nonstick 8-inch.

Pictured omelette, a 4-egg, and was made in my Calphalon Classic Nonstick 10-inch.

When my Calphalon wears out I'm going to try one or two of your beloved Scanpans.

Okay, thanks. Don't know if I'd refer to them as 'beloved' but I do like the Scanpan nonsticks, mainly because they have endured. That attribute has come to justify their price. My most recently purchased unit was the 12.5" Pro, which is currently going for about $130 at Amazon. That's actually less than I paid back in 2016. :shock: Not much around these days that's actually cheaper than it was 6 years ago.

=R=
  • Post #191 - May 28th, 2022, 5:11 am
    Post #191 - May 28th, 2022, 5:11 am Post #191 - May 28th, 2022, 5:11 am
    Blue flower ( Chives ) omelette ( I like scrambled eggs better than omelettes).
  • Post #192 - May 30th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    Post #192 - May 30th, 2022, 1:24 pm Post #192 - May 30th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    lougord99 wrote:( I like scrambled eggs better than omelettes).

I sometimes do, too but since I often take leftovers for weekday lunches, I've steered toward omelets lately, since they travel much better/easier than scrambles.

To that end, I used up some of our weekend bbq leftovers earlier today . . .

Leftover BBQ Bologna, Fried Onions & American Cheese
    With toasted/buttered baguette.

=R=
  • Post #193 - May 31st, 2022, 9:41 am
    Post #193 - May 31st, 2022, 9:41 am Post #193 - May 31st, 2022, 9:41 am
    A T-fal pan has always worked for me. Cheap and widely available.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #194 - June 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm
    Post #194 - June 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm Post #194 - June 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Blue flower ( Chives ) omelette ( I like scrambled eggs better than omelettes).

Breakfast today in Lou's honor . . . :)

Cheesy Scramble, garnished with Chive Blossoms
    With chicken sausage and toasted/buttered harvest grain bread.

=R=
  • Post #195 - June 12th, 2022, 8:07 am
    Post #195 - June 12th, 2022, 8:07 am Post #195 - June 12th, 2022, 8:07 am
    Not an omelet or a bachelor chow, not an imaginary story: eggs poached in flowers.
    I was trying to figure out what I could do with all the bolting mustard green rabe in my garden (the first batch of flowers I tried to make a mustard flower goma ae using tahini instead of grinding sesame seeds and I snipped too much stem, it came out stringy and bitter). I figured eggs would work, originally thinking omelet/scramble, but an online recipe suggested poaching in creamed greens.

So I grabbed most of the flowers off the two plants, found the least-bedraggled chive blossoms left (plus some chives), chopped those up. A little sour cream (original recipe had heavy cream) diluted with water (wasn't worth opening stock or even mixing up some Better Than Boullion), while I sauteed some sweet onion and garlic in butter.

Mise

Sautee

Added the flowers and chives, cooked a minute, then the sour cream mix plus some salt and pepper, let that come to a simmer and cracked the eggs into it and covered. Finished with a squeeze of lemon. The eggs could have gone 20 seconds less -- I like jammy but these were almost hard. Sopped up with some of SueF's potato bread. Delicious. Very little bite to the mustard when it was done, I'd add some greens next time.

Finished

Obligatory: Pan is MadeIn carbon steel
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #196 - June 12th, 2022, 8:25 am
    Post #196 - June 12th, 2022, 8:25 am Post #196 - June 12th, 2022, 8:25 am
    Very creative and looks outstanding.
  • Post #197 - June 18th, 2022, 5:13 pm
    Post #197 - June 18th, 2022, 5:13 pm Post #197 - June 18th, 2022, 5:13 pm
    This morning, it was leftovers omelet time again with the Scanpan 10" nonstick . . .

Plated Up
    An overfilled but delicious mess . . . leftover kielbasa, steamed broccoli, stir-fried wine caps, grilled onions and a few cheeses, none of which melted very well. Toasted/buttered baguette.

=R=
  • Post #198 - June 18th, 2022, 7:20 pm
    Post #198 - June 18th, 2022, 7:20 pm Post #198 - June 18th, 2022, 7:20 pm
    I have never figured out how to know if the cheese that I hold in my hand will easily melt. Some do and some don't.
  • Post #199 - July 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm
    Post #199 - July 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm Post #199 - July 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm
    Moving some leftovers, wrapped in egg, via the Scanpan 10" nonstick. After 9+ years of fairly heavy use, the nonstick coating on this pan *might* finally be failing. Will be monitoring it closely . . .

Leftovers Omelet & Breakfast Sausage
    Broccoli, fried onions cheddar and provolone. Flanked by a couple of just-okay breakfast sausages from Meat People in Monona, WI.

=R=
  • Post #200 - July 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Post #200 - July 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm Post #200 - July 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Interesting that the breakfast sausages were 'just ok' and the other sausages that you got from them were better.
  • Post #201 - July 17th, 2022, 3:56 pm
    Post #201 - July 17th, 2022, 3:56 pm Post #201 - July 17th, 2022, 3:56 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Interesting that the breakfast sausages were 'just ok' and the other sausages that you got from them were better.

The range was wider than I'd hoped for. Tried 6. 3 were great, 2 were okay 1, I'd describe as a work in progress.

=R=
  • Post #202 - July 23rd, 2022, 1:50 pm
    Post #202 - July 23rd, 2022, 1:50 pm Post #202 - July 23rd, 2022, 1:50 pm
    Using my 10" nonstick Scanpan, I made an omelet for myself and The Mrs. this morning . . .

Scallion, (leftover) Fried Onion & American Cheese Omelet
    Toasted/buttered Polish rye, chicken-breakfast sausage.

=R=
  • Post #203 - July 31st, 2022, 1:46 pm
    Post #203 - July 31st, 2022, 1:46 pm Post #203 - July 31st, 2022, 1:46 pm
    While I contemplate replacing my 10" nonstick Scanpan, using copious amounts of butter seems to be enough to work-around any potential issues that might be brewing . . .

Leftover Grill Sausages, Onions, Scallions & Cheeses
    With toasted/buttered Country French bread.

=R=
  • Post #204 - August 7th, 2022, 1:18 pm
    Post #204 - August 7th, 2022, 1:18 pm Post #204 - August 7th, 2022, 1:18 pm
    Took the advice of some chums on another board when considering replacements for my 10" Scanpan nonstick and ended up with this . . .

Demeyere 5-Plus Stainless Steel Nonstick Skillet, 9.5"

Initial impression is that I still prefer the Scanpan but this Demeyere pan does offer some advantages (that aren't necessarily great for omelet-making). The build is insane. The pan is way overbuilt. It's heavy and clearly is designed to retain even heat during longer cooks. But with omelets, which cook pretty fast, that's not necessarily a top priority. Also, the pan does not have rivets. Again, that's probably a big advantage in some applications but largely irrelevant when it comes to omelet-making.

Also, this being a skillet (as opposed to a saute or frying pan), it's relatively high-sided. Again, probably great for other applications but those sides make flipping food without a utensil -- or even getting in there with a utensil -- relatively difficult. On a more personal note, the handle on the Demeyere is squared off and narrower than on the Scanpan, which has a robust, tubular handle. For me, that one's much easier to grip.

In any case, I put the Demeyere to use earlier today . . .

Chourico, Sauteed Onions & Assorted Cheeses Omelet
    Toasted/buttered country French bread.

The omelet was fine and it cooked fine but for me, the logistics of moving various materials around the pan were definitely impeded by its design. Like a lot of things in cooking, personal preferences can often come down to some specific details. At some point, I'll probably figure out some best uses for this pan but given that it's nonstick, they're not immediately jumping out for me.

=R=
  • Post #205 - August 20th, 2022, 1:32 pm
    Post #205 - August 20th, 2022, 1:32 pm Post #205 - August 20th, 2022, 1:32 pm
    As this picture shows, I'm still getting used to my new 9.5" Demeyere nonstick frying pan . . .

Leftovers Omelet with Toasted/Buttered Baguette
    Really tried my best to clean out the fridge with this one, filling it with innumerable leftovers -- hot dogs, roasted cauliflower, fried onions, sauteed chanterelles, chives -- plus a few cheeses.

The high sides of the pan are definitely forcing me to adjust my omelet-cooking style. Flipping is harder, as is getting a utensil into a workable position in the pan (without possibly damaging the nonstick coating). I think I'll eventually get there. But there are additional attributes of this pan that will also take some getting used to. It takes longer to heat up than my Scanpan and also requires a higher flame to deliver the same amount of surface heat.

The build of this pan is no joke but I'm still not sure it's the best fit for me, especially when making omelets. Happily, what I made today was entirely edible (tasty, even), so there's no reason not to keep using the Demeyere and hopefully, getting more acclimated to it. When/if I get to the point where I can turn out an omelet with this pan as automatically as I can with my Scanpan, I'll feel like I've accomplished something useful.

=R=
  • Post #206 - August 28th, 2022, 1:50 pm
    Post #206 - August 28th, 2022, 1:50 pm Post #206 - August 28th, 2022, 1:50 pm
    This morning, it was time for some more practice on my new Demeyere 5-Plus nonstick frying pan. I'd sauteed a mixture of various leftover sausages, scallions and hot peppers for a savory baking project and had a little bit leftover, which I decided to omeletize . . .

Kitchen Sink Omelet
    Leftover chourico, cevap, 'grill' sausage & hot dog, plus scallions, red jalapeno, long hot peppers, swiss, cheddar and parmesan cheeses. Toasted/buttered country French loaf. Garnished with chives.

I'm getting the hang of this pan and have added a long, thin soft-silicone offset spatula to help me navigate its high sides and nonstick cooking surface. It needs more flame under it than my Scanpan does but I'm beginning to dial that in, as well. In any case, this omelet at least stayed intact and was tasty.

=R=
  • Post #207 - September 3rd, 2022, 1:58 pm
    Post #207 - September 3rd, 2022, 1:58 pm Post #207 - September 3rd, 2022, 1:58 pm
    Still banging away (carefully and only with soft utensils, lol) on the Demeyere 5-Plus nonstick. This time, with an onslaught of tomatoes coming in from our garden, I was inspired by this recent video at Pailin's youtube channel for a Thai-style tomato & egg scramble . . .

Thai-Style Tomato & Egg Scramble
    A delicious, juicy scramble. The run-off was an intoxicating combination of tomato juice, soy sauce and fish sauce. Wow! I'll definitely be making this again.

=R=
  • Post #208 - September 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Post #208 - September 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm Post #208 - September 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Still getting to know my 8" Demeyere 5-Plus nonstick . . .

Leftovers Omelet
    Sauteed maitakes, broccoli and onions with swiss cheese. Toasted/buttered French country loaf.

Really happy with the pan and am beginning to dial it in. At first, the higher sides impeded me but now that I'm getting used them, I actually find them a bit easier to leverage than the lower sides of my Scanpan.

Omelet-wise, this was the third deployment of the maitakes & broccoli (originally cooked separately), and they were never better than they were in this omelet today. And now they're gone, which is an added bonus.

=R=
  • Post #209 - September 25th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    Post #209 - September 25th, 2022, 1:24 pm Post #209 - September 25th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    Getting another rep on my Demeyere 5-Plus nonstick, this time with a bunch of cipollini onions from our CSA box that I wasn't sure what else to do with . . .

Sauteed Cipollini Onion & Cheddar Frittata
    Garnished with chives. This was 6 eggs, so it was a communal breakfast.

The pan was a breeze here. The onions browned nicely, the eggs cooked evenly and once they were set, the whole dealio slid onto the plate with ease. I didn't feel comfortable putting the nonstick pan under the broiler, so I 'finished' this on the stove top by reducing the heat and lidding it for a couple of minutes.

=R=
  • Post #210 - September 25th, 2022, 1:57 pm
    Post #210 - September 25th, 2022, 1:57 pm Post #210 - September 25th, 2022, 1:57 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Getting another rep on my Demeyere 5-Plus nonstick, this time with a bunch of cipollini onions from our CSA box that I wasn't sure what else to do with . . .

Sauteed Cipollini Onion & Cheddar Frittata
    Garnished with chives. This was 6 eggs, so it was a communal breakfast.

The pan was a breeze here. The onions browned nicely, the eggs cooked evenly and once they were set, the whole dealio slid onto the plate with ease. I didn't feel comfortable putting the nonstick pan under the broiler, so I 'finished' this on the stove top by reducing the heat and lidding it for a couple of minutes.

=R=
    Looks good Mr. Suburban. You keep hitting them out of the park. :mrgreen:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more