LTH Home

Country Village Meats, Inc. - Sublette, IL.

Country Village Meats, Inc. - Sublette, IL.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Country Village Meats, Inc. - Sublette, IL.

Post #1 - December 16th, 2011, 9:27 am
    Post #1 - December 16th, 2011, 9:27 am Post #1 - December 16th, 2011, 9:27 am
    I really love when I stumble upon a new butcher shop, especially one that processes local animals. Just north of Peru, IL., about 1/2 way to Dixon, on Route 52 I spied the sign for COuntry Village Meats, and quickly pulled into their lot. Nondescript white building with some animal pens on one end.

Once inside I found a clean butcher shop with a processing room out front as well as a stocked meat case with prices ona chalk board. Chatting up the guy at the counter I learned they make all their sausages in house, and source meat from local farmers. Some spare ribs looked fantastic, so I grabbed a couple cryo packs. I buy enough heritage breed pork to see that these ribs were going to be good, the meat was almost as red as beef, and there was magnificent marbling. To my eye and later taste, these ribs had some duroc or berky in them. Price was defientely right, I grabbed up 2 cryos of spares(which were trimmed into skirt, tip and rib sections), a pack of dogs(as beefy and garlicky as any I have had), and a few snack sticks, $17....

As a local processor they do pigs, cows, deer, etc. and offer whole and half animals for sale, 1/2 pig(115 lbs) = $242.... Im going to be doing one of these very soon for my freezer.

Glad I could share this one.

Not sure what that glare is from on this first photo(perhaps a spirit has posessed my camera as I have visited an indian burial ground and cemetary site lately):

Nondescript, easy to miss, but those animal pens are a calling card for sure:

prices on the board:

man at work:

yield(yeah thats right.. $1.29/lb..... :P ):

rubbed:

schmoked(magnificent..buttery, juicy, smokey, porky.. mercy...:

Country Village Meats
    401 N. Pennsylvania(Route 52)
    Sublette, IL.
    Last edited by jimswside on December 16th, 2011, 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • Post #2 - December 16th, 2011, 9:35 am
    Post #2 - December 16th, 2011, 9:35 am Post #2 - December 16th, 2011, 9:35 am
    HI,

I have friends in Sublette who founded the windfarm there. I have passed that market and never went in. I will stop in next time. These same people brought me to Ladd for my first visit to Rip's.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - December 16th, 2011, 9:48 am
    Post #3 - December 16th, 2011, 9:48 am Post #3 - December 16th, 2011, 9:48 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I have friends in Sublette who founded the windfarm there. These same people brought me to Ladd for my first visit to Rip's.

sounds like good friends to have. :D

I bet you would find a few things you like @ the market.
  • Post #4 - December 16th, 2011, 10:17 am
    Post #4 - December 16th, 2011, 10:17 am Post #4 - December 16th, 2011, 10:17 am
    Fantastic looking stuff Jim! A great find!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more