LTH Home

My Curry was Cursed with Bitter Onion

My Curry was Cursed with Bitter Onion
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • My Curry was Cursed with Bitter Onion

Post #1 - February 13th, 2012, 9:11 pm
    Post #1 - February 13th, 2012, 9:11 pm Post #1 - February 13th, 2012, 9:11 pm
    So tonight should have been a great meal, but it was ruined. Luckily there was plenty of homemade naan, honeybell tangerines, and homemade Liege waffles to fill us up.

I pureed my onions & tomatoes and the onions were bitter.

I've googled around and gotten everything from removing the root/center of the onion to always cooking onion prior to pureeing it, microwave or fried in oil doesn't seem to matter.

Now I'm determined to have this dish again, and make sure it's edible.

Your thoughts/experiences, in preventing a tragic recurrence, are welcome.
    Last edited by pairs4life on February 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2 - February 13th, 2012, 10:14 pm
    Post #2 - February 13th, 2012, 10:14 pm Post #2 - February 13th, 2012, 10:14 pm
    I had a chef tell me that the way to go was to rinse diced onions under cold running water to take away bitterness.
  • Post #3 - February 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm
    Post #3 - February 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm Post #3 - February 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm
    Maybe post the recipe so that we can have a look--might help...
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - February 13th, 2012, 10:36 pm
    Post #4 - February 13th, 2012, 10:36 pm Post #4 - February 13th, 2012, 10:36 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Maybe post the recipe so that we can have a look--might help...

Not too happy with this, based on my googling, Bittman should have mentioned it. Makes me wonder if anyone cooked this before putting it in the book. If the onions had been diced or chopped, it appears I would not have had a problem.

You could tell, as we all tried to taste/eat around the bitter, that it really could have been a simple & lovely dish. I will probably try cooking onions prior to puree and then if that fails, I will modify with miced onions, never seeing an electric blade.

Now I sound like a frakking "America's Test Kitchen/CI " Chistopher Kimball wannabe :?

Braised Tofu and Peas in Curried Coconut Milk
    Yield 4 servings
    Time 40 minutes

Serve over rice or with flatbread.
    Ingredients
    3 large onions, quartered
    1 28- or 35-ounce can tomatoes with their liquid
    2 tablespoons neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons garam masala or curry powder, or to taste
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds firm to extra-firm tofu, blotted dry, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
    1 1/2 cups peas (frozen are fine; defrost in cold water and drain)
    1 1/2 cups coconut milk
    Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
    Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
    Method
    1. Combine the onions and tomatoes in a food processor and puree; depending on the size of your machine, you have to do this in two batches. Put the oil in a deep skillet or broad saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion-tomato mixture, along with some salt and pepper and the spice mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it thins and becomes saucelike, about 10 minutes.
    2. Add the tofu and peas and cook for about 5 minutes, until the tofu swells slightly and the peas are tender; stir in the coconut milk and bring just about to a boil, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasoning, garnish with cilantro, and serve as described above.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #5 - February 13th, 2012, 11:02 pm
    Post #5 - February 13th, 2012, 11:02 pm Post #5 - February 13th, 2012, 11:02 pm
    I just don't think it was specifically the raw processing...I do that all the time. Maybe you got a bad onion. Or, perhaps, one of your spices/mixtures was off...I've had curry powder that became bitter over time...try a sweet onion instead of yellow and definitely taste your spices to see if anything is off there.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #6 - February 14th, 2012, 1:08 am
    Post #6 - February 14th, 2012, 1:08 am Post #6 - February 14th, 2012, 1:08 am
    Not sure if this will help.

I've never seen a recipe which asks to cook both the onion and the tomato at the same time. I would cook the onion in a little oil until tender (5, maybe 10 minutes tops depending on heat) and then add the tomato. I think a lot of recipes "cut to the chase" and miss important steps.

I've been making red bean curry with in a pressure cooker based on this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rajma-kidney-bean-curry/ but I take the extra step of separating the onion from the ginger/garlic paste. I process and then cook the onions first and then add the garlic/ginger and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute and then add the tomato and then take it from there. I think the onions need to cook for a longer time and then the other ingredients are added. Otherwise, you get that raw onion taste that I think is throwing you off. On some web sites, I read about true Indian cooking where the onions need to be browned, or maybe golden (not burnt by any means) in order to get that true Indian cooking experience.

In the red bean curry recipe (very delicious if you like spice) I am trying to preserve the ginger/garlic flavor while not overwhelming it with other flavors. As the recipe stands, you stomp all over the ginger by over cooking it. If I added the onion and tomato at the same time, I think it would be a disaster.

Let me know if I am totally crazy on this.
  • Post #7 - February 14th, 2012, 7:02 am
    Post #7 - February 14th, 2012, 7:02 am Post #7 - February 14th, 2012, 7:02 am
    Did you use Garam Masala or another curry powder?
    Most recipes I have, garam masala is a "finishing" spice, added toward the very end of cooking. I don't know if long cooking would have contributed to the bitterness.

Also, how was your salt level? If you skimped on salt, bitter flavors will be more evident.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #8 - February 14th, 2012, 2:02 pm
    Post #8 - February 14th, 2012, 2:02 pm Post #8 - February 14th, 2012, 2:02 pm
    Never had a bitter onion but I guess it could happen. I think it is probably the onion itself. Maybe it was an old onion. I now only buy sweet onions such as vidalia or maui as I do not like a strong onion taste. also keep in mind tumeric can be very bitter if you add too much.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #9 - February 14th, 2012, 2:56 pm
    Post #9 - February 14th, 2012, 2:56 pm Post #9 - February 14th, 2012, 2:56 pm
    toria wrote:Never had a bitter onion but I guess it could happen. I think it is probably the onion itself. Maybe it was an old onion. I now only buy sweet onions such as vidalia or maui as I do not like a strong onion taste. also keep in mind tumeric can be very bitter if you add too much.

I'm not fond of sweet onions for Indian cooking -- they've got too much water and sugar, and can be hard to reduce to a caramelized pulp, which is called for in some (but not all) recipes.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #10 - February 14th, 2012, 6:47 pm
    Post #10 - February 14th, 2012, 6:47 pm Post #10 - February 14th, 2012, 6:47 pm
    I'm not fond of sweet onions for Indian cooking

. . . or any cooking, really. Those supersweet varieties can really throw of the balance of any recipe in any cuisine, unless the recipe specifically calls for that type of onion. They can really mess up a French onion soup, in particular. Trust me on this one. :shock:
  • Post #11 - February 14th, 2012, 6:47 pm
    Post #11 - February 14th, 2012, 6:47 pm Post #11 - February 14th, 2012, 6:47 pm
    If the whole thing was pureed and cooked into a sauce, can you tell that the bitterness was caused by the onion? I've never had a bitter onion, even those where I've cut of moldy outer layers to salvage the innards. That said, with plants anything is possible.

Some of the other posters might be on the right track-- it might be one of your spices.

Jen
  • Post #12 - February 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm
    Post #12 - February 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm Post #12 - February 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm
    Pie-love wrote:If the whole thing was pureed and cooked into a sauce, can you tell that the bitterness was caused by the onion? I've never had a bitter onion, even those where I've cut of moldy outer layers to salvage the innards. That said, with plants anything is possible.

Some of the other posters might be on the right track-- it might be one of your spices.

Jen

Jen, & everyone else,

No garaam masala. When I don't make my own, I didn't last night, I use GNR Spice House's Maharaj Curry Powder. This batch was purchased a few weeks ago,and used on a prior occasion. They turn over their inventory at a rate that makes me think it isn't the spice.

The bigger reasons I still believe it was the onion include 1) that was the dominate taste of bitter, not spice, not tomato, but onion and 2) these articles, http://forumhub.com/southfood/7933.20.35.43.html, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f2 ... ion-paste/, http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/foru ... ge__st__60 suggest others have the same problem when pureeing them. I will try to pre-cook onion and/or not puree in blender.

• Post #13 - February 14th, 2012, 8:56 pm
    Post #13 - February 14th, 2012, 8:56 pm Post #13 - February 14th, 2012, 8:56 pm
    I've been told never to puree garlic in a food processor - it picks up a bitter metallic taste. Perhaps - although onions seem to be less delicate - the long processing time affected it in the same way? Have you ever used this method before? Are you abnormally sensitive to bitter foods?
  • Post #14 - February 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm
    Post #14 - February 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm Post #14 - February 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm
    MincyBits wrote:I've been told never to puree garlic in a food processor - it picks up a bitter metallic taste. Perhaps - although onions seem to be less delicate - the long processing time affected it in the same way? Have you ever used this method before? Are you abnormally sensitive to bitter foods?

David Hammond will tell you I maybe a bit sensitive to too much salt and yes, no one else seemed to cringe like I did last night with each bite, but no one objected when the leftovers were a toss because I knew no one else was going to touch it again. My husband was surprised that it was the onion, before I googled it, from taste alone. :roll:

• Post #15 - February 15th, 2012, 12:54 pm
    Post #15 - February 15th, 2012, 12:54 pm Post #15 - February 15th, 2012, 12:54 pm
    pairs4life wrote:The bigger reasons I still believe it was the onion include 1) that was the dominate taste of bitter, not spice, not tomato, but onion and 2) these articles, http://forumhub.com/southfood/7933.20.35.43.html, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f2 ... ion-paste/, http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/foru ... ge__st__60 suggest others have the same problem when pureeing them. I will try to pre-cook onion and/or not puree in blender.

Interesting! A lot of Indian recipes from Madhur Jaffrey (and likely others) start by cooking a puree of garlic, onion, and ginger-- I've made many curries using this technique and never had a problem. Thus, my question.

Good luck and do report back if you find the root (or maybe bulb) of the problem. Maybe a nice Negroni beforehand would solve the problem of tasting bitter flavors! :shock:

Jen
  • Post #16 - February 15th, 2012, 1:04 pm
    Post #16 - February 15th, 2012, 1:04 pm Post #16 - February 15th, 2012, 1:04 pm
    Pie-love wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:The bigger reasons I still believe it was the onion include 1) that was the dominate taste of bitter, not spice, not tomato, but onion and 2) these articles, http://forumhub.com/southfood/7933.20.35.43.html, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f2 ... ion-paste/, http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/foru ... ge__st__60 suggest others have the same problem when pureeing them. I will try to pre-cook onion and/or not puree in blender.

Interesting! A lot of Indian recipes from Madhur Jaffrey (and likely others) start by cooking a puree of garlic, onion, and ginger-- I've made many curries using this technique and never had a problem. Thus, my question.

Good luck and do report back if you find the root (or maybe bulb) of the problem. Maybe a nice Negroni beforehand would solve the problem of tasting bitter flavors! :shock:

Jen

Funny you mention Jaffrey, when I make my own curry I use her recipe she shared in a Julia Child cookbook featuring other cooks/chefs. It's a lot of work but man it kills in a , dare I say it, cough, Rachel Ray Eggplant Curry in a Hurry. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rach ... index.html

• Post #17 - February 16th, 2012, 10:25 am
    Post #17 - February 16th, 2012, 10:25 am Post #17 - February 16th, 2012, 10:25 am
    pairs4life wrote: Funny you mention Jaffrey, when I make my own curry I use her recipe she shared in a Julia Child cookbook featuring other cooks/chefs. It's a lot of work but man it kills in a , dare I say it, cough, Rachel Ray Eggplant Curry in a Hurry. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rach ... index.html

Hee hee! Yes, a good curry can eat your day. I've been doing more of these Thai curries using pre-made curry paste and coconut milk:
    http://www.finecooking.com/articles/cyo ... curry.aspx

My daughter prefers her curries de-constructed (plain protein and a bowl of sauce so she can dip just the right amount), so the quick curries work well, as long as I remember to save out some tofu or meat!

Jen
  • Post #18 - February 16th, 2012, 5:36 pm
    Post #18 - February 16th, 2012, 5:36 pm Post #18 - February 16th, 2012, 5:36 pm
    Pie-love wrote:I've been doing more of these Thai curries using pre-made curry paste and coconut milk:
    http://www.finecooking.com/articles/cyo ... curry.aspx

Cool. Thanks for the link, Jen.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #19 - April 29th, 2022, 2:27 pm
    Post #19 - April 29th, 2022, 2:27 pm Post #19 - April 29th, 2022, 2:27 pm
    I'd never this encountered phenomenon before but today, I was making a batch of my #1 ~weekly slaw, which starts with a dressing that contains grated sweet onion. I assembled the dressing as I always do and before I poured it over the cabbage and carrot, I stopped, as I always do, to taste it . . . Skreeech! Yikes! Wow, was it bitter!

I went through quick tastes of all the other ingredients and they were fine. Then, I tasted a bit of the unused onion and sure enough, it was the culprit. It had completely ruined the dressing, thus wasting all the ingredients that went into it. I never would have thought to taste the onion on its own before assembling the dressing -- it smelled fine -- but maybe I will in the future. I was glad that at least I caught this before I poured the dressing over the veg. I had one more onion that I'd purchased at the same time, so I cut it open and tasted it. It was as bitter as its companion. Not sure what happened here but I now know about something else that can go wrong in the kitchen.

Fwiw, these onions looked great. They were firm, fully grown with no sprouting on the interior, nice smooth skins and no discernible exterior damage whatsoever. I cook with a lot of onions and do not remember ever encountering this before. What is the cause? Is it common?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #20 - April 29th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Post #20 - April 29th, 2022, 2:54 pm Post #20 - April 29th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:.What is the cause? Is it common

Bad divorce.
    Or
    https://www.mp-engineering.co.uk/why-do ... te-bitter/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #21 - April 29th, 2022, 3:22 pm
    Post #21 - April 29th, 2022, 3:22 pm Post #21 - April 29th, 2022, 3:22 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:.What is the cause? Is it common

Bad divorce.
    Or
    https://www.mp-engineering.co.uk/why-do ... te-bitter/

Haha. Actually quite interesting, and thanks, for the link. Very minimal processing -- only a hand grater -- and only a single slice through the second onion yet both were bitter. Replacment batch, with a newly purchased batch of onions, was completely within normal parameters. Gonna chalk this one up to onion naughtiness! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more