LTH Home

Jewel-ry

Jewel-ry
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 49 of 49 
  • Post #1441 - January 5th, 2022, 3:24 pm
    Post #1441 - January 5th, 2022, 3:24 pm Post #1441 - January 5th, 2022, 3:24 pm
    Artie wrote:Miss me yet? :)

No Monopoly this year :(

Miss you and really miss Monopoly, it is stupidly amusing.

Happy New Year!

CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1442 - January 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm
    Post #1442 - January 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm Post #1442 - January 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Have I been replaced?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #1443 - January 7th, 2022, 8:14 am
    Post #1443 - January 7th, 2022, 8:14 am Post #1443 - January 7th, 2022, 8:14 am
    Dave148 wrote:

Have I been replaced?

Your job is secure
  • Post #1444 - January 10th, 2022, 1:09 am
    Post #1444 - January 10th, 2022, 1:09 am Post #1444 - January 10th, 2022, 1:09 am
    I am going to miss the Monopoly game this year, but every year I ask myself why I am playing this game. It is a lot of work, and I think the most I have won is $10. I think last year they got a lot of complaints about the revisions to the game because of the pandemic. You had to belong to J4U in order to play the game, and you had to get online. I think a lot of the older customers were used to attaching the game pieces to the board, and just redeeming the coupons they got. With the new game, you had to attach the coupon to your J4U account in order to redeem it. There was also no game board, which a lot of people did not like. I personally did not miss the game board.
  • Post #1445 - January 15th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Post #1445 - January 15th, 2022, 1:38 pm Post #1445 - January 15th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Pssst.

Chicken Wing Fridays at Jewel. Their wing buckets are 9.99 on Fridays. I have a feeling that they are going to bump the price up. We like their "Honey Wings" and none of the other ones. My brain thing works well when it comes to food, music theory, and computer programming. Not much else. It nudged me to try something, and it worked out quite well.

Three Chili Chicken Wings:
    Jewel Honey Wings
    Sesame oil
    Szechwan Chili Oil

Toss a little sesame oil with some Szechwan Chili oil, and some water to thin it out in the nuke to get them mixed together. If you work with sesame oil, you know how strong it is, so, a lil dab will do ya.

Toss the honey wings in it.
    You're welcome.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #1446 - January 22nd, 2022, 2:30 pm
    Post #1446 - January 22nd, 2022, 2:30 pm Post #1446 - January 22nd, 2022, 2:30 pm
    I'd forgotten about seebee's post above but did buy the $9.99 bucket of honey wings for the first time yesterday, so thanks for the tip.

Jewel had pork shoulders on sale for 99 cents a pound again, so I bought one, 9+ pounds, and broke it down into large pieces, gaining a renewed appreciation for butchers in the process.

3.5 pounds is in the IP Mini right now, smelling great already, after being rubbed all over with 2 Gringos Chupacabra rub that I bought at an HEB in San Antonio last month. I though maybe I bought too much Chubacabra rub, but I can see and smell already that I'm going to need more.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #1447 - January 22nd, 2022, 3:40 pm
    Post #1447 - January 22nd, 2022, 3:40 pm Post #1447 - January 22nd, 2022, 3:40 pm
    Katie wrote:Jewel had pork shoulders on sale for 99 cents a pound again, so I bought one, 9+ pounds, and broke it down into large pieces, gaining a renewed appreciation for butchers in the process.

I'm not shooting the messenger here but I simply want to remind people who don't know that unless something has changed, the $0.99/pound pork shoulder sold at Jewel is not 100% pork. It's injected with a solution that increases its weight, extends its shelf life and impedes browning (due to excessive moisture loss during cooking).

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1448 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:29 pm
    Post #1448 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:29 pm Post #1448 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:29 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Katie wrote:Jewel had pork shoulders on sale for 99 cents a pound again, so I bought one, 9+ pounds, and broke it down into large pieces, gaining a renewed appreciation for butchers in the process.

I'm not shooting the messenger here but I simply want to remind people who don't know that unless something has changed, the $0.99/pound pork shoulder sold at Jewel is not 100% pork. It's injected with a solution that increases its weight, extends its shelf life and impedes browning (due to excessive moisture loss during cooking).

=R=

It is a statement so often repeated, why not just link to the last time you stated this? I think I could find at least a dozen citations.

I have also bought pork shoulder at Peoria Packing House and Park Packing, which is fresh and not injected. My Mom loves to go with me to watch the workers walk around with a freshly slaughtered pig on their backs. Once we came on the day when choice bits were to be carted away. Can you imagine a 50-gallon barrel filled with eyes? When you get your pig there, you are getting it fresh, fresh, fresh!

A friend in South Dakota had offices next door to slaughter house. She once sent a picture of a sheep walking past her office, it had escaped death for a little bit longer.

I'd love to see a picture of pig taking off on Lake Street or Ashland Avenue with all these guys chasing it!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1449 - Yesterday, 10:57 pm
    Post #1449 - Yesterday, 10:57 pm Post #1449 - Yesterday, 10:57 pm
    The chile oil+sesame oil on chicken wings trick might still be a good one, but I won't be falling for that bucket of wings from Jewel trick again. Way too bready and gummy, way too little actual chicken meat, way too many broken bones.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #1450 - Today, 6:09 am
    Post #1450 - Today, 6:09 am Post #1450 - Today, 6:09 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I'd love to see a picture of pig taking off on Lake Street or Ashland Avenue with all these guys chasing it!

99.99% sure no live kill still exists* anywhere near Lake/Ashland. Though I remember sitting outdoors on Fulton with a group of younger people a decade or so ago and one of the group almost fainted when a butcher in a bloody white coat casually strolled by with a large dead pig slung over his shoulder.

Park Packing is the last, or second last with Halsted Packing for live kill within city limits.

*unless one includes Chicago's soaring murder rate.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more