LTH Home

Matzoh balls

Matzoh balls
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 25th, 2020, 8:57 am
    Post #31 - March 25th, 2020, 8:57 am Post #31 - March 25th, 2020, 8:57 am
    Oh my gosh, chicken feet!
    My grandma always used chicken feet and I loved them.
    Haven't seen them in years!
    yum yum
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #32 - March 25th, 2020, 8:59 am
    Post #32 - March 25th, 2020, 8:59 am Post #32 - March 25th, 2020, 8:59 am
    irisarbor wrote:Oh my gosh, chicken feet!
    My grandma always used chicken feet and I loved them.
    Haven't seen them in years!
    yum yum

    My Oma did too. As a little kid, grossed me out.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #33 - March 25th, 2020, 10:58 am
    Post #33 - March 25th, 2020, 10:58 am Post #33 - March 25th, 2020, 10:58 am
    Dave148 and IrisArbor,

    You both live nearby, shall I buy some for you the next I see them?

    Or at least give you a call?

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #34 - March 25th, 2020, 11:15 am
    Post #34 - March 25th, 2020, 11:15 am Post #34 - March 25th, 2020, 11:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Dave148 and IrisArbor,

    You both live nearby, shall I buy some for you the next I see them?

    Or at least give you a call?

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    How kind of you. But no thanks.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #35 - March 25th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Post #35 - March 25th, 2020, 11:29 am Post #35 - March 25th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Dave148 and IrisArbor,

    You both live nearby, shall I buy some for you the next I see them?

    Or at least give you a call?

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    How kind of you. But no thanks.

    They're likely to be the last in-stock item at the store. :lol:

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #36 - March 25th, 2020, 11:34 am
    Post #36 - March 25th, 2020, 11:34 am Post #36 - March 25th, 2020, 11:34 am
    Pancakes =Breakfast! I like em a bit crisp so used a mix of flour, matzo meal and cornmeal, butter/neutral oil in the pan for crisp and flavor. #homecooking #socialdistancingcooking

    PancakesP1.jpg Pancakes =Breakfast!

    Pancakes, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #37 - March 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm
    Post #37 - March 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm Post #37 - March 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Pancakes =Breakfast! I like em a bit crisp so used a mix of flour, matzo meal and cornmeal, butter/neutral oil in the pan for crisp and flavor. #homecooking #socialdistancingcooking

    PancakesP1.jpg

    Pancakes, count me a Fan!

    Care to share your mixture ratio?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #38 - March 25th, 2020, 7:04 pm
    Post #38 - March 25th, 2020, 7:04 pm Post #38 - March 25th, 2020, 7:04 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Care to share your mixture ratio?

    I don't measure when I make pancakes but, I'd estimate, 2/parts AP flour to 1/part matzo meal & 1/part corn meal.

    Mix in baking powder, salt, little sugar, stir well. Eggs, milk, light glug of maple syrup, little neutral oil. Stir well but don't over-mix. If too thick, which this was, I add a little water to thin out to "pancake batter" consistency.

    Butter/neutral oil in pan, flip when bubbles come to surface. Plate, butter, syrup, eat, repeat.
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - March 25th, 2020, 7:32 pm
    Post #39 - March 25th, 2020, 7:32 pm Post #39 - March 25th, 2020, 7:32 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Care to share your mixture ratio?

    I don't measure when I make pancakes but, I'd estimate, 2/parts AP flour to 1/part matzo meal & 1/part corn meal.

    Mix in baking powder, salt, little sugar, stir well. Eggs, milk, light glug of maple syrup, little neutral oil. Stir well but don't over-mix. If too thick, which this was, I add a little water to thin out to "pancake batter" consistency.

    Butter/neutral oil in pan, flip when bubbles come to surface. Plate, butter, syrup, eat, repeat.

    Thanks. I’ll give it a whirl.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #40 - April 6th, 2020, 1:53 pm
    Post #40 - April 6th, 2020, 1:53 pm Post #40 - April 6th, 2020, 1:53 pm
    Hi,

    I guess I am finally getting the hang of making matzoh balls.

    For years, I have bought the matzoh ball mixes. Mix it, chill it, form into balls and boil/simmer for 25 minutes. Fine examples of what I like: fluffy in the middle matzohs.

    Last year, I bought a can of matzoh meal. I followed the recipe on the box, but was surprised by how long it needed to cook: 40 minutes. Why is the mix 25 and back of can recipe is 40 minutes?

    Thinking this really cannot be, I made my first batch timing them to 25 minutes. Leaden matzoh balls were my reward.

    Two more batches with additional time added, though maybe not the full 40 minutes, they were less 'solid' in the middle.

    Finally made today the last batch from this can, I let them cook for just over 40 minutes. Finally got the fluffier middle I wanted.

    I still don't get why the mix is faster than the back of the can recipe. At this point, I know now to screw around with the time as I did before.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #41 - April 6th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    Post #41 - April 6th, 2020, 2:00 pm Post #41 - April 6th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I still don't get why the mix is faster than the back of the can recipe. At this point, I know now to screw around with the time as I did before.

    Just a guess here but did you check the ingredient listings on the packages? It's possible that the formulation differs (e.g. anti-caking agents, etc.) in the different package types due to some specific limitations of each.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #42 - April 6th, 2020, 2:29 pm
    Post #42 - April 6th, 2020, 2:29 pm Post #42 - April 6th, 2020, 2:29 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I still don't get why the mix is faster than the back of the can recipe. At this point, I know now to screw around with the time as I did before.

    Just a guess here but did you check the ingredient listings on the packages? It's possible that the formulation differs (e.g. anti-caking agents, etc.) in the different package types due to some specific limitations of each.

    =R=

    Ok, that may be the situation. I did check some labels to see if any leavening-ish ingredient snuck in. I know it is blaspheme to suggest and none was found.

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #43 - April 6th, 2020, 2:36 pm
    Post #43 - April 6th, 2020, 2:36 pm Post #43 - April 6th, 2020, 2:36 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I still don't get why the mix is faster than the back of the can recipe.

    Matzo ball mix (Manischewitz) contains sodium bicarbonate. Matzo balls made from straight matzo meal does not.

    That said, I often add a bit of baking powder to matzo balls made from matzo meal which tends to lighten them up.

    ManischewitzMix1.jpg Manischewitz Matzo Ball box ingredients

    https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ngrediants
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #44 - April 6th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Post #44 - April 6th, 2020, 4:22 pm Post #44 - April 6th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I still don't get why the mix is faster than the back of the can recipe.

    Matzo ball mix (Manischewitz) contains sodium bicarbonate. Matzo balls made from straight matzo meal does not.

    That said, I often add a bit of baking powder to matzo balls made from matzo meal which tends to lighten them up.

    Not Kosher for Passover, but still good!

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #45 - September 20th, 2020, 6:42 pm
    Post #45 - September 20th, 2020, 6:42 pm Post #45 - September 20th, 2020, 6:42 pm
    Tis the season.

    Click on image to enlarge
    Image

    Chicken soup, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #46 - September 25th, 2020, 10:32 pm
    Post #46 - September 25th, 2020, 10:32 pm Post #46 - September 25th, 2020, 10:32 pm
    Absolutely. I can vouch for kosher chickens in soup . Phyllis goes even further and always makes stock from kosher chicken bones which you can usually get at the jewels w a kosher section. Kosher chicken feet are hard to find, so usually gets those in Chinatown
    If not making mballs from scratch, streits mix rules!
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

    Jewish haiku.
  • Post #47 - September 26th, 2020, 7:10 am
    Post #47 - September 26th, 2020, 7:10 am Post #47 - September 26th, 2020, 7:10 am
    I have seen chicken feet at HMart (on Oakton- uncertain about Milwaukee Ave. in Glenview) and Marketplace Produce, also on Oakton near Skokie Blvd.) I thought they made my broth bitter; perhaps it was psychological.
  • Post #48 - September 26th, 2020, 11:14 am
    Post #48 - September 26th, 2020, 11:14 am Post #48 - September 26th, 2020, 11:14 am
    Suspect it may have been something else. Never seen them do that . I think they add a depth and viscosity impossible to get any other way
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

    Jewish haiku.
  • Post #49 - September 26th, 2020, 3:16 pm
    Post #49 - September 26th, 2020, 3:16 pm Post #49 - September 26th, 2020, 3:16 pm
    kuhdo wrote: I think they add a depth and viscosity impossible to get any other way

    Second that. I get them at the West Loop H Mart and they deliver a soup that's very close to my grandma's, if taste memory serves. I discovered one year that she used the feet--when I was old enough to not be grossed out or tell my younger brothers!

    Manischewitz mix and a light hand produce the soft, airy balls we like. I couldn't get them light enough from scratch, but hadn't thought to cook them longer, so thanks, Cathy2.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more