LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 17 of 22
  • Post #481 - May 2nd, 2019, 7:10 pm
    Post #481 - May 2nd, 2019, 7:10 pm Post #481 - May 2nd, 2019, 7:10 pm
    Ronnie,

I would not return the nuts. I know that the money is not the issue, but making a point to the store is the issue. If this was the Mariano’s headed up by Bob Mariano, I would absolutely return the nuts and write them. Bob Mariano cared.

Kroger does not care. Your effort to return the nuts will not accomplish anything.
  • Post #482 - May 5th, 2019, 11:01 am
    Post #482 - May 5th, 2019, 11:01 am Post #482 - May 5th, 2019, 11:01 am
    lougord99 wrote:Ronnie,

I would not return the nuts. I know that the money is not the issue, but making a point to the store is the issue. If this was the Mariano’s headed up by Bob Mariano, I would absolutely return the nuts and write them. Bob Mariano cared.

Kroger does not care. Your effort to return the nuts will not accomplish anything.

I think you're right, Lou. It's not worth the bother. I'll just chalk it up as a relatively inexpensive reinforcement of a lesson I learned a while back: don't shop at Mariano's.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #483 - May 5th, 2019, 11:04 am
    Post #483 - May 5th, 2019, 11:04 am Post #483 - May 5th, 2019, 11:04 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:don't shop at Mariano's.

Then you would miss the matzo sale of the century . . .
    Matoz1.jpg Today is the day to stock up on matzo. #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #marianosskokie
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #484 - May 5th, 2019, 4:41 pm
    Post #484 - May 5th, 2019, 4:41 pm Post #484 - May 5th, 2019, 4:41 pm
    The Kosher Jewel on Howard has a bunch of Passover stuff 75% off including matzo. It is in the back of the store right by the dairy department.

BTW- Mariano's has mostly eliminated their Friday freebies. I've heard that Kroger does not have them that much either.
  • Post #485 - May 6th, 2019, 2:00 am
    Post #485 - May 6th, 2019, 2:00 am Post #485 - May 6th, 2019, 2:00 am
    NFriday wrote:BTW- Mariano's has mostly eliminated their Friday freebies. I've heard that Kroger does not have them that much either.

Wow, I will really miss all of the weird beverages that noone would try and the energy bars. It has been a while since they had anything thjat I really wanted to try.
  • Post #486 - May 17th, 2019, 5:44 am
    Post #486 - May 17th, 2019, 5:44 am Post #486 - May 17th, 2019, 5:44 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:
    NFriday wrote:BTW- Mariano's has mostly eliminated their Friday freebies. I've heard that Kroger does not have them that much either.

Wow, I will really miss all of the weird beverages that noone would try and the energy bars. It has been a while since they had anything thjat I really wanted to try.

For the first time in many weeks they have a Free Friday item today, Lemi Superior Lemonade. I don't see it mentioned in their weekly ad at all, they used to give it a full page in the ad then went to a small banner at the bottom of a page and now nothing at all.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #487 - May 17th, 2019, 5:51 am
    Post #487 - May 17th, 2019, 5:51 am Post #487 - May 17th, 2019, 5:51 am
    Core Hydration water is today’s free Friday download for me.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #488 - August 26th, 2019, 7:41 pm
    Post #488 - August 26th, 2019, 7:41 pm Post #488 - August 26th, 2019, 7:41 pm
    It's not something I'd normally buy but a coworker was quite persuasive in recommending the jalapeno cheddar chicken burgers from the meat case. They have been consistently very good across two stores (harwood & elston) and for five or six trials. Just slap em over the hot lump coals and don't let them overcook. I'll recommend.
  • Post #489 - August 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm
    Post #489 - August 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm Post #489 - August 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm
    Everything my friend (Jewel employee since 1984) said would happen to Mariano's from day one has happened. I am sure most of you have seen the differences from when each Mariano's had their glorious openings and the downhill slide. I was at the Bannockburn location recently just to get a soup around 1 or 2pm on a weekday. All of the quick pay lines by the prepared food area were closed and basically no staff. I was so pissed I ate the soup without paying first. No one cared as expected. I walked over to pay at the main checkout (only 2 lanes open of course) after I ate. Clueless cashier was shocked I was paying for an empty bowl. Then fool me twice, I went there with a friend for lunch. Same thing happened. We had to walk over to the main checkout area and wait in line to pay even though they have 4 or 5 quick pay stations by the prepared foods/Starbucks/wine bar area that were deserted.
  • Post #490 - August 27th, 2019, 5:14 pm
    Post #490 - August 27th, 2019, 5:14 pm Post #490 - August 27th, 2019, 5:14 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    Drover wrote:
    JoelF wrote:The same issue also mentioned that Kroger's is cutting capital funding for Mariano's remodeling, while requesting more $$$ per square foot in sales.

Let the micromanaging into the ground begin...

How long before those areas of quality that have distinguished Mariano's are gone and it becomes "just another supermarket"?

Our experiences with the offerings from their fish counter have been excellent. I hope that won't change. Was also impressed by the sheer size of the cheese room in the Broadway store.

If the continuation of this thread is any indication... about two and a half years.
  • Post #491 - November 7th, 2019, 11:57 am
    Post #491 - November 7th, 2019, 11:57 am Post #491 - November 7th, 2019, 11:57 am
    A recent unwelcome change at Mariano's: they have implemented a 50 cent charge if you want cash back with a debit card purchase.
    -Mary
  • Post #492 - November 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm
    Post #492 - November 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm Post #492 - November 7th, 2019, 12:05 pm
    Edgewater Marianos was always bad but it's just a total dumpster fire these days. At least self checkout is back
  • Post #493 - November 7th, 2019, 8:08 pm
    Post #493 - November 7th, 2019, 8:08 pm Post #493 - November 7th, 2019, 8:08 pm
    The GP wrote: A recent unwelcome change at Mariano's: they have implemented a 50 cent charge if you want cash back with a debit card purchase.
    Uh oh. That sounds like corporate taking charge {literally}. I shopped at Food4Less earlier today, and on the pay stations at its checkout was a {adhesive tape} note of the fees charged for cash back on a debit card purchase.
    People, debit cards are just a really, really ghastly {we're still close to Halloween :wink:} way to pay for items or services. Use cash. Use credit. Don't use a debit card. :cry:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #494 - November 8th, 2019, 10:40 am
    Post #494 - November 8th, 2019, 10:40 am Post #494 - November 8th, 2019, 10:40 am
    pudgym29 wrote:
    The GP wrote: A recent unwelcome change at Mariano's: they have implemented a 50 cent charge if you want cash back with a debit card purchase.
    Uh oh. That sounds like corporate taking charge {literally}. I shopped at Food4Less earlier today, and on the pay stations at its checkout was a {adhesive tape} note of the fees charged for cash back on a debit card purchase.
    People, debit cards are just a really, really ghastly {we're still close to Halloween :wink:} way to pay for items or services. Use cash. Use credit. Don't use a debit card. :cry:

Could you maybe explain why you think this? To me a debit card is the exact same thing as when we used to write checks - the money comes right from your account.
  • Post #495 - November 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm
    Post #495 - November 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm Post #495 - November 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm
    Concerning debit cards, if you order something online, and you never receive it, you can not get your money back like you can with a credit card, and that is why some people hate debit cards. Stores do not get charged a fee though when somebody uses their debit card like they do with a credit card. Until recently Aldi's would not take credit cards, but they were fine with debit cards.

A few months ago in Consumer Reports they reported on the results of a survey they did with their readers concerning grocery stores, and Mariano's scored much higher than Jewel did. As I remember, Wegman's, Trader Joe's, and I believe Publix came out on top, but Mariano's was in the top quarter of all the stores. I don't know how long ago they did the survey though. I was in the Northbrook Mariano's on Tuesday around 3:00, and they had quite a few customers, but they had nobody working in the produce section. They only had two regular lanes open, but they had all of the self checkout lanes open
  • Post #496 - November 12th, 2019, 6:52 am
    Post #496 - November 12th, 2019, 6:52 am Post #496 - November 12th, 2019, 6:52 am
    NFriday wrote:A few months ago in Consumer Reports they reported on the results of a survey they did with their readers concerning grocery stores, and Mariano's scored much higher than Jewel did...I don't know how long ago they did the survey though.

My last couple years experience at various Mariano's has...made me appreciate Jewel. Good old Jewel! They always have what you're looking for, the layout is largely intuitive, and there are actually people to ask who actually have the answer when you have a question. (I should say that I know Jewels can vary, so I'm talking about the one on Ashland near Wellington.)

I think the pastry counter at the Mariano's in New City has some decent offerings, though, based on a cookie I had.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #497 - November 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm
    Post #497 - November 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm Post #497 - November 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm
    Pork & Mindy’s closes locations, files for bankruptcy
    Led by celebrity chef Jeff Mauro, the company had a deal to open stalls in 20 Mariano’s by the end of 2019.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/restaur ... bankruptcy

--------------------------------

It's already gone from the Westmont location of Mariano's. There's a sign saying "Mariano's Smokehouse" will be replacing it soon.

----------------
  • Post #498 - November 19th, 2019, 7:14 am
    Post #498 - November 19th, 2019, 7:14 am Post #498 - November 19th, 2019, 7:14 am
    A buddy of mine who works at Mariano's predicted early on that Pork and Mindy's wouldn't last. Said that after the first few locations opened they were getting lots of complaints from customers about the prices, which were often double what Todd's BBQ had charged for similar items. Chalk it up to yet another bad decision by Kroger.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #499 - November 19th, 2019, 8:20 am
    Post #499 - November 19th, 2019, 8:20 am Post #499 - November 19th, 2019, 8:20 am
    I'm generally pleased with Marianos except for their produce, which is typically hot garbage.

But whenever I go out of town and hit up a Kroger or a Fred Meyer, they seem to be in much better shape than marianos. Maybe it's the novelty of not being in them as frequently, but feels like a common occurrence for me
  • Post #500 - November 19th, 2019, 9:46 am
    Post #500 - November 19th, 2019, 9:46 am Post #500 - November 19th, 2019, 9:46 am
    WCIBN wrote: There's a sign saying "Mariano's Smokehouse" will be replacing it soon.

Same sign in Westchester.
    I'm just hoping for something near same quality and pricepoint of Todd's. For the price, I thought the brisket, spares and chicken parts were better than ok. Never cared for their cutesy rib rub, but for the price of a full slab, I could deal. I loved having the option of very affordable real bbq readily available for a weeknight dinner when the urge struck. I'd also use it for stir fries, ramen night, taco night, etc.

My fingers are crossed for, "Mariano's Smokehouse."
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #501 - November 20th, 2019, 8:28 pm
    Post #501 - November 20th, 2019, 8:28 pm Post #501 - November 20th, 2019, 8:28 pm
    NFriday wrote:Concerning debit cards, if you order something online, and you never receive it, you can not get your money back like you can with a credit card, and that is why some people hate debit cards. Stores do not get charged a fee though when somebody uses their debit card like they do with a credit card.

These are both false. Merchants are charged fees to process debit card transactions, though not as much as a credit card transaction. This is why payment devices default to debit and make you cancel out if you want to process the transaction as a credit charge.

If you process your charge as a credit card transaction, you will receive all the same consumer protections as if you were using a standard credit card. I've had this work to my advantage for a few online retail transactions where the retailer was either uncooperative with merchandise exchange/refunds or just plain fraudulent.
  • Post #502 - January 7th, 2020, 2:38 am
    Post #502 - January 7th, 2020, 2:38 am Post #502 - January 7th, 2020, 2:38 am
    From store remodels to more grab-and-go, Mariano’s under Kroger strives to stay special while adapting to shifting tastes

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #503 - January 7th, 2020, 8:07 am
    Post #503 - January 7th, 2020, 8:07 am Post #503 - January 7th, 2020, 8:07 am
    Dave148 wrote:From store remodels to more grab-and-go, Mariano’s under Kroger strives to stay special while adapting to shifting tastes

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

For the tl;dr crowd: It's basically become a Kroger with a food court, but Kroger is applying some of the "fresh" concepts to other Kroger brands.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #504 - January 7th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    Post #504 - January 7th, 2020, 3:48 pm Post #504 - January 7th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:But whenever I go out of town and hit up a Kroger or a Fred Meyer, they seem to be in much better shape than marianos. Maybe it's the novelty of not being in them as frequently, but feels like a common occurrence for me

Oh, come to my local Fred Meyer, you will be disabused of that notion right quick. (SE Hawthorne and Cezar E Chavez in Portland OR)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #505 - January 9th, 2020, 7:29 am
    Post #505 - January 9th, 2020, 7:29 am Post #505 - January 9th, 2020, 7:29 am
    leek wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:But whenever I go out of town and hit up a Kroger or a Fred Meyer, they seem to be in much better shape than marianos. Maybe it's the novelty of not being in them as frequently, but feels like a common occurrence for me

Oh, come to my local Fred Meyer, you will be disabused of that notion right quick. (SE Hawthorne and Cezar E Chavez in Portland OR)

Hahaha. I know I'm jaded bc me being in Portland is usually vacation and so everything feels incrementally better!
  • Post #506 - January 13th, 2020, 7:01 pm
    Post #506 - January 13th, 2020, 7:01 pm Post #506 - January 13th, 2020, 7:01 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    leek wrote:

Hahaha. I know I'm jaded bc me being in Portland is usually vacation and so everything feels incrementally better!

Freddy was, back in the day, a good store. Now it's trying to become just another Kroger.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #507 - October 1st, 2020, 11:47 am
    Post #507 - October 1st, 2020, 11:47 am Post #507 - October 1st, 2020, 11:47 am
    Contractors have begun construction on a new small-footprint grocery store created by Mariano’s founder Bob Mariano and opening next April in Lincoln Park. Dom’s Kitchen and Market — the first in a chain of neighborhood grocery and takeout stores announced in May — will be located at 2730 N. Halsted St.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/09/29 ... PAPvGpozzE
  • Post #508 - October 14th, 2020, 8:55 am
    Post #508 - October 14th, 2020, 8:55 am Post #508 - October 14th, 2020, 8:55 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Contractors have begun construction on a new small-footprint grocery store created by Mariano’s founder Bob Mariano and opening next April in Lincoln Park. Dom’s Kitchen and Market — the first in a chain of neighborhood grocery and takeout stores announced in May — will be located at 2730 N. Halsted St.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/09/29 ... PAPvGpozzE

We're excited. With the closing of the DePaul Whole Foods (for who knows how long), this will fill a gap for us. (And the old strip mall was ugly.)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #509 - October 22nd, 2020, 8:46 am
    Post #509 - October 22nd, 2020, 8:46 am Post #509 - October 22nd, 2020, 8:46 am
    Hi- Mariano's has some good digital coupons this week. They have La Croix on sale this week for $3.99 with their card, and they have a digital $1 coupon which can be used one time per transaction, and so $2.99. They also have chicken thighs and drumsticks for $.99 a pound, but with the digital coupon, they are only $.39 a pound, and they have 2 pound bags of organic apples on sale for $3.99, and they have a $3 digital coupon you can use once per transaction.

I love AmyLu chicken sausage, and they have it on sale for $3.99, and they have a digital coupon for $2, which you can use three times per transaction, and so $1.99.
  • Post #510 - April 21st, 2021, 2:13 pm
    Post #510 - April 21st, 2021, 2:13 pm Post #510 - April 21st, 2021, 2:13 pm
    Hi- I guess Marianos does not get as many posts as Jewel does. Mariano's right now has King Arthur all purpose flour on sale for $2.99, and it is one of the digital buy 5 get $1 off, and so you can get it for $1.99 if you buy five items in the same group. I know a lot of people here don't shop as much at Mariano's now though. I have not bought anything there since the pandemic started.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more