LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 18 of 22
  • Post #511 - April 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm
    Post #511 - April 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm Post #511 - April 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I guess Marianos does not get as many posts as Jewel does.

Hahaha - compared to Mariano's, Jewel is Fauchon! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #512 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:09 am
    Post #512 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:09 am Post #512 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:09 am
    NFriday wrote:Mariano's right now has King Arthur all purpose flour on sale for $2.99, and it is one of the digital buy 5 get $1 off, and so you can get it for $1.99 if you buy five items in the same group.

That's not correct. You can use each coupon in the group up to five times in one transaction.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #513 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:27 am
    Post #513 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:27 am Post #513 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:27 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

For a while there, it was the other way around: A stellar cheese department, pricey but good quality meat counter, bigger deli, lots of exotic stuff in the aisles, but Kroger really did a number on it, while Jewel did up their game a little (may have slid a bit since, hard to measure during the Whathaveyou)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #514 - April 22nd, 2021, 8:42 am
    Post #514 - April 22nd, 2021, 8:42 am Post #514 - April 22nd, 2021, 8:42 am
    Hi, Nancy, I'd welcome more Marianos coupon and sale coverage. I used to shop there more, but we don't get the Marianos sale ads on Wednesday any more. I know I can see them online but it falls off the radar when it's not in the Wednesday pile. Sometimes their deals are quite good, like that KA flour or the 49 cent/lb nice ham I got a while back.

Of course, our Gurnee Marianos will be out of the flour by now or won't have stocked it in the first place. That particular store never gets enough sale items and doesn't carry the full line of many products compared to the larger Vernon Hills or Bannockburn stores.
  • Post #515 - April 22nd, 2021, 8:50 am
    Post #515 - April 22nd, 2021, 8:50 am Post #515 - April 22nd, 2021, 8:50 am
    JoelF wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

For a while there, it was the other way around: A stellar cheese department, pricey but good quality meat counter, bigger deli, lots of exotic stuff in the aisles, but Kroger really did a number on it, while Jewel did up their game a little (may have slid a bit since, hard to measure during the Whathaveyou)

Yep, Kroger's is death. The most abject dumbing down of the grocery industry that exists.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #516 - April 22nd, 2021, 4:31 pm
    Post #516 - April 22nd, 2021, 4:31 pm Post #516 - April 22nd, 2021, 4:31 pm
    I don’t know if this is all locations but my Krogeriano’s at 16th and Clark was dumping a huge quantity of Progresso soup on their clearance shelves for 39 cents. It won’t last long, people were grabbing it as it went onto the shelves. There was a good variety and I enjoyed my $0.39 lunch of tortellini soup today.
    Last edited by chicagojim on April 23rd, 2021, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #517 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:03 pm
    Post #517 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:03 pm Post #517 - April 22nd, 2021, 7:03 pm
    JoelF wrote:For a while there, it was the other way around: A stellar cheese department, pricey but good quality meat counter, bigger deli, lots of exotic stuff in the aisles

Don't forget the tons of samples that they used to give out, including the self-serve cheese samples and the ever-present fresh squeezed orange juice in little cups. Really took the edge off when shopping hungry.
  • Post #518 - April 23rd, 2021, 10:23 am
    Post #518 - April 23rd, 2021, 10:23 am Post #518 - April 23rd, 2021, 10:23 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Yep, Kroger's is death. The most abject dumbing down of the grocery industry that exists.

=R=

I don't think that it's all bad. Mariano's was famous for horrible produce that was unevenly stocked, also the meat. A friend often quipped "never buy anything at Marion's that was formerly alive." Under Kroger, the produce is somewhat better and usually stocked - avoid the stuff right inside the door, that's about to go bad. The employees, I've found to be very willing to search for something for you in in the back and they know the difference between a lime and string beans. The international aisle went bad a long time before Kroger came on the scene, as did the fun stuff like the wall of Roundy's bulk spices, so we can't blame that on Kroger. The international aisle was amazingly stocked with stuff that was otherwise hard to find when Mariano's opened but then when something sold out it seemed like it was never restocked. The olives usually look rotten. I like the Jewel Deli stuff better, maybe because the flavors are what I grew up with. The wine selection at the 16th/Clark location is actually decent, and the floral section is staffed by someone who knows what they're going. If you spend time exploring things like the ice cream section you'll find that interesting things show up - they had Hudsonville for awhile - but then they disappear and never return.
  • Post #519 - April 23rd, 2021, 11:35 am
    Post #519 - April 23rd, 2021, 11:35 am Post #519 - April 23rd, 2021, 11:35 am
    chicagojim wrote:If you spend time exploring things like the ice cream section you'll find that interesting things show up - they had Hudsonville for awhile - but then they disappear and never return.

The problem with a wide selection is that it can be so niche that much goes to waste because it only appeals to a small segment of buyers. Heinen's initially had a far broader selection of ice cream than it currently does. Eventually they figure out what sells and what gets freezer burn.

Back in the day when Byerly's made its brief Chicago appearance I was amazed at their breadth of offerings (for that time). But they clearly never found their target audience.
  • Post #520 - April 23rd, 2021, 1:37 pm
    Post #520 - April 23rd, 2021, 1:37 pm Post #520 - April 23rd, 2021, 1:37 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Back in the day when Byerly's made its brief Chicago appearance I was amazed at their breadth of offerings (for that time). But they clearly never found their target audience.

I had the impression Byerly's was sold to a new owner who did not want to expand their market.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #521 - April 23rd, 2021, 2:02 pm
    Post #521 - April 23rd, 2021, 2:02 pm Post #521 - April 23rd, 2021, 2:02 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:Back in the day when Byerly's made its brief Chicago appearance I was amazed at their breadth of offerings (for that time). But they clearly never found their target audience.

I had the impression Byerly's was sold to a new owner who did not want to expand their market.

Regards,
    CAthy2

If they were profitable they would have made it work.
  • Post #522 - April 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm
    Post #522 - April 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm Post #522 - April 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    CAthy2

Correct. Byerly's longtime Twin Cities competitor, Lund's, bought the chain and put a halt to expansion plans. Lund's maintained both brand names, giving shoppers in that region a choice between the two. Byerly's remains the more boutique oriented of the two. The Lund's stores upped their game somewhat after the buy out. They're classier than a typical Kroger's etc., but remain more of a "value" store in that market.

spinynorman99 wrote:If they were profitable they would have made it work.

Maybe, but it would have needed to be wildly successful for Lund's to maintain the Chicago area locations They have always been a more conservative player than Byerly's. It's not surprising they pulled out of the market.

Buddy
  • Post #523 - April 25th, 2021, 12:15 pm
    Post #523 - April 25th, 2021, 12:15 pm Post #523 - April 25th, 2021, 12:15 pm
    My experience with Mariano's is much different than what I am reading here. My store is the one in Hardwood heights. I have never cared for the produce department and as for me Pete's has the best selection and prices of any of the chains for Produce. I find the Deli counter, bakery and Meat counter at Mariano's to be far superior to my closet Jewel in River Forest.
    At Mariano's Meat counter I can get bulk; breakfast sausage links, ground pork, ground Chorizo, and a variety of burgers including our favorite Mushroom Swiss. I have not seen any of these in Jewel as well as the beautiful Lamb Rib Chops and Veal Chops I get at Mariano's. A couple of weeks ago I bought Choice Hanger Steaks On Sale for $8.99 lb. And not long before picked up some Prime Filets for $26.99 lb. I also like their Dairy products.
    For "specialty" items I am blessed to be surrounded by Italian as well as Polish Delis.
    UPDATE: Just got back from Jewel to pick up a few things for dinner. They did not have Shallots and the only Feta they had was the dry crumbled.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #524 - April 25th, 2021, 2:25 pm
    Post #524 - April 25th, 2021, 2:25 pm Post #524 - April 25th, 2021, 2:25 pm
    I think I have only been to Mariano's once since the pandemic started. I was at the Skokie store, and somebody told me that Mariano's had the Tostito's low fat tortilla chips, and I went in the store and found out they did not. I only buy them when I make my own salsa when I have tomatoes in my garden. I was also going to buy some stuff for pesto, including some walnuts and Parmesan, and I decided to go to Trader Joe's instead. Before the pandemic, when I went to the Northbrook store at 4:00, they would be out of some of the produce I wanted, and there was nobody working in produce to ask if they had it in back. There are always several people working in Jewel's produce department at that time.

Yes there are some things I cannot get at Jewel or don't want to, but then I get them at Whole Foods. Not everybody has a Whole Foods within walking distance of them. I don't eat a lot of meat, but when I do I get it at Whole Foods because it is humanely raised. I do get chicken sausage at Jewel though when it is on sale. I get all of my peanut butter at Whole Foods, and most of my plain yogurt there, and they often have their Amylu's chicken sausage and Cedar's hummus on sale B1G1F.

I have been lured into Jewel by the Monopoly game too, but it is going to end in nine days. When the farmer's market is open, I don't spend as much at Jewel anyway. I liked Mariano's better before Kroger bought them out, but their prices are cheaper since Kroger took them over. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #525 - April 25th, 2021, 11:28 pm
    Post #525 - April 25th, 2021, 11:28 pm Post #525 - April 25th, 2021, 11:28 pm
    I didn't know Byerlys was ever in Chicago. Was that in the late 90's or early 2000's? My impression of Lunds and Byerlys from living in Minneapolis 1989-1998 was that Lunds was somewhat fancier, with less everyday items, and Byerlys was larger with sale items. The New Brighton Lunds was the first supermarket I had ever seen with carpet throughout the store. And it was even kept reasonably clean in salty Twin Cities winters. Many people thought the main reason to go to Lunds was for the cheap and delicious ice cream cones. Byerlys was for the deli soup counter. Wild rice was always one of the choices and beer cheese was usually another.
  • Post #526 - April 26th, 2021, 5:21 am
    Post #526 - April 26th, 2021, 5:21 am Post #526 - April 26th, 2021, 5:21 am
    Byerly's was in Highland Park quite a long time ago. I also lived in the Minneapolis area at the same time you did. I moved back to Chicago in 2003 and Byerly's was here shortly before that. I don't think it even lasted a year. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they decided to open here.
  • Post #527 - April 26th, 2021, 6:04 am
    Post #527 - April 26th, 2021, 6:04 am Post #527 - April 26th, 2021, 6:04 am
    tjr wrote:I didn't know Byerlys was ever in Chicago. Was that in the late 90's or early 2000's?
    1996-ish in Highland Park. I took my then-girlfriend-now-wife there on a date. Am I romantic or what? :D
  • Post #528 - April 26th, 2021, 6:16 am
    Post #528 - April 26th, 2021, 6:16 am Post #528 - April 26th, 2021, 6:16 am
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

This article says they were also in Schaumburg, which I didn't realize.
  • Post #529 - April 26th, 2021, 7:32 am
    Post #529 - April 26th, 2021, 7:32 am Post #529 - April 26th, 2021, 7:32 am
    From the article, Byerlys was at US41 and Park Av in Highland Park. Does anyone remember which spot there? The southeast corner where the Staples and bike shops are? Or the northeast one where the Target is now?

I'm a little surprised that Heinens has survived when and where Byerlys didn't. Possibly Heinens didn't have to compete with Dominicks? Or was Byerlys too early on the scene with what was called at the time "meal replacement" (ready to eat carryouts)? I recall going into the Ford Parkway, St. Paul, Byerlys sometime in the early 2000's and being stunned that it looked like a cafeteria or food hall, even having a few leased spots like Leeann Chin. Later, some Marianos and HyVees did the same thing.
  • Post #530 - April 26th, 2021, 7:42 am
    Post #530 - April 26th, 2021, 7:42 am Post #530 - April 26th, 2021, 7:42 am
    tjr wrote:From the article, Byerlys was at US41 and Park Av in Highland Park. Does anyone remember which spot there? The southeast corner where the Staples and bike shops are? Or the northeast one where the Target is now?

They had the space where Staples and the bike shop and swim school are now. Dominick's was also in that spot.
  • Post #531 - April 26th, 2021, 8:10 am
    Post #531 - April 26th, 2021, 8:10 am Post #531 - April 26th, 2021, 8:10 am
    Dave148 wrote: 1996-ish in Highland Park. I took my then-girlfriend-now-wife there on a date. Am I romantic or what? :D

Well, something apparently worked. :)
    -Mary
  • Post #532 - April 26th, 2021, 9:30 am
    Post #532 - April 26th, 2021, 9:30 am Post #532 - April 26th, 2021, 9:30 am
    I remember that Byerlys well. It was very nice and ahead of its time here I think. Also a pretty bad location for a grocery store. didn't really shop there much until they were closing and marked everything down. I think that I bought about 25 cases of wine at 50%+ off over a 2 week period. I stopped by every day so see what they had put out. Some amazing miss marks, including almost 2 cases of 1991 Dow vintage port that was marked at the ruby port price of $16, so with 50% off was $8 per bottle. A few others where vintage champagne was marked at the non-vintage price. The dominicks that replaced it did not last long (at least I think Dominicks came after).

-Will
  • Post #533 - May 10th, 2021, 10:04 am
    Post #533 - May 10th, 2021, 10:04 am Post #533 - May 10th, 2021, 10:04 am
    The Arlington Cardinal reports that Mariano's in Arlington Heights (the first one we ever went to) has replaced all its shopping carts with all-plastic ones that are more ergonomic (better handle bar, lighter, roll better), and have security features that lock the wheels if driven off the property, or driven out the doors without going through a checkout lane.

Knowing how often shoplifting systems have false positives, I wonder how frustrated shoppers will be when the doorway keeps getting blocked by disabled carts.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #534 - May 10th, 2021, 12:38 pm
    Post #534 - May 10th, 2021, 12:38 pm Post #534 - May 10th, 2021, 12:38 pm
    Wow, I guess Arlington Heights has gotten tougher if people are trying to roll whole carts of stolen food out of Marianos. I thought grocery shoplifters just stuffed lobsters down their pants.
  • Post #535 - August 4th, 2021, 7:22 am
    Post #535 - August 4th, 2021, 7:22 am Post #535 - August 4th, 2021, 7:22 am
    I'd received a card with four sets of coupons for increased gas rewards and $10 off $60 purchase, and the West Glenview (Willow and Sanders) Mariano's was on our way home, so hey, good time to shop.

Well, I probably won't go back:
    1) The shelves are half empty -- lots of stuff just isn't stocked. Yeah this was Sunday, but it looked desolate. There's lots of open space where they had the bulk spices and the "fancy goods" double-aisle when first open, just blank floor space now.
    2) I asked the produce guy about mint, he pointed me to the clamshell herbs, but no mint, not even a label. They should know what they stock.
    3) I was looking for a deep-dish frozen cheese pizza. I'm a little fond (as much as you can for frozen pizza) of the Gino's East ones, and they're discounted to $5 for the 32-oz one... but only sausage, sausage and pepperoni, or sausage, pepperoni and veg (SueF isn't fond of Italian sausage).
    3) They wouldn't take the coupon: in very fine print it indicates it's only for the Des Plaines and Arlington Heights stores. Really? Why'd you mail it to me then, when they're not the closest stores to me? Are those stores hurting even worse that they need the extra advertising?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #536 - August 4th, 2021, 7:47 am
    Post #536 - August 4th, 2021, 7:47 am Post #536 - August 4th, 2021, 7:47 am
    The funny thing is that I use to think Kroger ran a pretty good operation. I have been in a few 'Kroger' stores in different towns over the years and thought they were OK. I don't know if they are just milking the Mariano name or if all Kroger stores have become this bad.
  • Post #537 - August 4th, 2021, 8:36 am
    Post #537 - August 4th, 2021, 8:36 am Post #537 - August 4th, 2021, 8:36 am
    That Willow Rd Marianos used to be one of the best of the lot, and one of the few with a grill-to-order setup. I had a pretty darn good NY strip as a Father's Day dinner there about 5 years ago.

I've found Kroger to be a mixed bag. When we lived in Louisville, Kroger was the main grocer with a couple dozen stores sprinkled throughout the metro area. Some were excellent while some were close to abysmal. Partly this came from Kroger constantly trying out new concepts in stores in affluent neighborhoods, some of which worked well, some less so. Meanwhile, Krogers in less-advantaged areas remained old, run down and lacking in selection.
  • Post #538 - August 4th, 2021, 12:09 pm
    Post #538 - August 4th, 2021, 12:09 pm Post #538 - August 4th, 2021, 12:09 pm
    JoelF wrote:Mariano's was on our way home, so hey, good time to shop.

Well, I probably won't go back:
    1) The shelves are half empty -- lots of stuff just isn't stocked.

Not only Mariano's, the Jewel on Touhy (Village Crossing) has had lots of empty space on shelves as of late. Some products have not been replenished for a few weeks.
  • Post #539 - August 4th, 2021, 1:27 pm
    Post #539 - August 4th, 2021, 1:27 pm Post #539 - August 4th, 2021, 1:27 pm
    As a representative for a major food manufacturer, I can attest to the fact that stock issues still exist. Raw ingredient shortages, packaging issues, transport driver availability and a host of other annoyances are still contributing to the “less than optimal” in stock conditions at your local store…
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #540 - August 4th, 2021, 7:20 pm
    Post #540 - August 4th, 2021, 7:20 pm Post #540 - August 4th, 2021, 7:20 pm
    Kroger partners with Kitchen United for ghost kitchens in its grocery stores.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/04/kroger- ... tores.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more