LTH Home

Root beer floats

Root beer floats
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Root beer floats

Post #1 - July 2nd, 2012, 7:46 pm
    Post #1 - July 2nd, 2012, 7:46 pm Post #1 - July 2nd, 2012, 7:46 pm
    One of my earliest childhood memories was going to the A and W rootbeer stand in Maywood with my mom and having a rootbeer float. A Rootbeer float is my idea of a refreshing summer dessert. What is your favorite rootbeer and ice cream to make a float with. I would have to say any good vanilla icecream and I do like Dog and Suds rootbeer but there are others. What about soft serve? What makes the best rootbeer float. One good thing diet wise is you can cut down on calories and sugar by using diet root beer and frozen yogurt or carb smart ice cream. Not as good but still a good dessert.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #2 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm
    Post #2 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm Post #2 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm
    I haven't had a root beer float in a million years, but now that the topic has been brought up--- I think that I will get one before the week is over!

A typical childhood day for me consisted of playing "fastpitch" at Budlong School and then making the two block walk with my friends to Tastee-Freez at Lincoln and Winona. The float was made with some no-name root beer and soft serve ice cream, yet I thought it was the greatest.
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #3 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:36 pm
    Post #3 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:36 pm Post #3 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:36 pm
    We put vanilla ice cream in Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout Vanilla it was GREAT
  • Post #4 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:53 pm
    Post #4 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:53 pm Post #4 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:53 pm
    I like the root beer floats at Scooter's, which are made with Sprecher's Root Beer IIRC.
  • Post #5 - July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm
    Post #5 - July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm Post #5 - July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm
    toria wrote:One of my earliest childhood memories was going to the A and W rootbeer stand in Maywood with my mom and having a rootbeer float. A Rootbeer float is my idea of a refreshing summer dessert. What is your favorite rootbeer and ice cream to make a float with. I would have to say any good vanilla icecream and I do like Dog and Suds rootbeer but there are others. What about soft serve? What makes the best rootbeer float. One good thing diet wise is you can cut down on calories and sugar by using diet root beer and frozen yogurt or carb smart ice cream. Not as good but still a good dessert.

Real vanilla ice cream and a STRONG root beer like Barqs. Custard or soft serve does NOT but it as it melts too quickly.

Personally, I rather do it at home as I can have a huge bottle of root beer to finish off the ice cream.
  • Post #6 - July 2nd, 2012, 11:29 pm
    Post #6 - July 2nd, 2012, 11:29 pm Post #6 - July 2nd, 2012, 11:29 pm
    Before we opened up the Pub we taste-tested a lot of root beer labels...Fitz's from St. Louis won hands down. Some nice hard frozen ice cream and a couple of bottles of Fitz is maybe just this side of heaven.
    D.G. Sullivan's, "we're a little bit Irish, and a whole lot of fun"!
  • Post #7 - July 3rd, 2012, 12:25 pm
    Post #7 - July 3rd, 2012, 12:25 pm Post #7 - July 3rd, 2012, 12:25 pm
    Okay I will try barqs. I also like the dog and suds too but will do a comparison. I plan on using breyers ice cream because that is what I have at the moment.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #8 - July 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm
    Post #8 - July 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm Post #8 - July 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm
    Yeah, we can get Fitz's root beer in KC and it's a genuine winner.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #9 - July 6th, 2012, 7:55 pm
    Post #9 - July 6th, 2012, 7:55 pm Post #9 - July 6th, 2012, 7:55 pm
    [Rant]

Root beer floats must be made with cheap-ass generic vanilla ice cream and A&W root beer. This is not an opinion, it is a scientific fact (I just pulled out of my ass).

You must serve them in a tall glass - plastic is verboten.

They must be served with a straw AND an ice tea spoon.

You must NEVER limit your children to just one - unlimited root beer floats are a God given right of every child during the summer break.

Anyone who asks must be given a root beer float - ESPECIALLY the neighbor's kids - floats FOR everyone!

At least once a month in the summer (June - August) you MUST make your children root beer floats - this is the law (look it up).

If you run out and someone has not gotten a float you MUST immediately go get more fixins.

During the floatathon there may by NO talk of spoiling dinner - WTF do you think we're doing here?!

Cola, while good, is NOT a float - it is a Brown Cow!

[/Rant]
  • Post #10 - July 6th, 2012, 8:45 pm
    Post #10 - July 6th, 2012, 8:45 pm Post #10 - July 6th, 2012, 8:45 pm
    Zoid:

No, that's a Coke Float. A Brown Cow is root beer and CHOCOLATE ice cream. #Fact
  • Post #11 - July 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm
    Post #11 - July 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm Post #11 - July 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm
    sundevilpeg wrote:Zoid:

No, that's a Coke Float. A Brown Cow is root beer and CHOCOLATE ice cream. #Fact

#fail
    :mrgreen:

You my friend are F*&%de if the head.
    No one, and I mean NO ONE, puts chocolate ice cream in anything other than a shake.
    :mrgreen:

Tell you what - I'll bring the ice cream, you bring the pop and we'll figure it out? :wink:
  • Post #12 - July 6th, 2012, 9:22 pm
    Post #12 - July 6th, 2012, 9:22 pm Post #12 - July 6th, 2012, 9:22 pm
    Well, I'm with zoid: no float is made with chocolate ice cream. But these folks sanction "brown cow" as both root beer + chocolate AND/OR coke + vanilla. Me, I sanction only the latter, which is what we had in my kidhood in Sacramento.

The Summer I turned 21, a best bud and I thought we'd try a Coors Float (you youngsters won't remember that, back in the Day, Coors was a Mythical Beer, since it basically wasn't available east of NV. So, anyway, we had some excellent French Vanilla ice cream, which we spooned into a frappé glass full of Coors. It was remarkably good: the malt and the hops both stood out in grand exhibition, and the richness of the ice cream really played well against the acidity and slight bitterness of the beer. Try it, eh?!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #13 - July 7th, 2012, 9:39 am
    Post #13 - July 7th, 2012, 9:39 am Post #13 - July 7th, 2012, 9:39 am
    Scott's home brewed milk stout with chocolate nibs begged for float treatment. Cappacino gelato made for a very tasty combo.
  • Post #14 - July 7th, 2012, 10:38 am
    Post #14 - July 7th, 2012, 10:38 am Post #14 - July 7th, 2012, 10:38 am
    Don't laugh! Culvers makes a nice rb float, using their frozen custard. Get the large. Its not homemade, but it is close.
  • Post #15 - July 7th, 2012, 11:26 am
    Post #15 - July 7th, 2012, 11:26 am Post #15 - July 7th, 2012, 11:26 am
    10 years ago or so, when the Roundhouse in Aurora was still Walter Payton's Roundhouse, they brewed their own beers as well as a good root beer too. A ice cream float was served in the restaurant with Oberweis Ice Cream, very good! Growing up in Algonquin and Crystal Lake area, we would call a float, a brown cow and I called it that for many years. One summer we were camping somewhere in Tennessee on a rafting trip, we took a trip to a small local drive up and I ordered a brown cow. They just stared at me for the longest time while I repeated myself. The clerk finally asked me "you want to buy a cow?" The differences in our accents didn't help.
  • Post #16 - September 13th, 2021, 5:53 am
    Post #16 - September 13th, 2021, 5:53 am Post #16 - September 13th, 2021, 5:53 am
    A new A&W restaurant is set to replace a former Burger King in Addison at 1012 N. Rohlwing Road.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more