LTH Home

Tuna fish sandwich, what is your best recipe?

Tuna fish sandwich, what is your best recipe?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - September 2nd, 2020, 10:33 am
    Post #61 - September 2nd, 2020, 10:33 am Post #61 - September 2nd, 2020, 10:33 am
    We made homemade tuna conserva recently that was outstanding. Dead simple too - method courtesy of Modernist Cuisine. A pound of fresh tuna, cubed. Brined overnight in salt water. Next day, put in a mason jar and cover with oil (we used a mixture of olive and canola to tamp down on the olive oil flavor). Sous vide for an hour at 124 (if I recall). It can be cooked traditionally without a sous vide, of course. Can be eaten immediately, though we let it sit overnight and ate tuna sandwiches and Nicoise-like salads over the next two days.
  • Post #62 - September 2nd, 2020, 11:07 am
    Post #62 - September 2nd, 2020, 11:07 am Post #62 - September 2nd, 2020, 11:07 am
    lougord99 wrote:I had never thought to use Kewpie in my tuna fish. I have it in the fridge. Will definitely try next time.

Kewpie's all I use. I've been eyeing the larger containers at Lawrence Fish Market on my last few visits.
  • Post #63 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:11 pm
    Post #63 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:11 pm Post #63 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:11 pm
    paddleboard wrote:When my office was still open I was a prolific recipe developer in the genre of lunches that came in under $2 with heavy supplementation from the communal items in our breakroom kitchen. Probably my favorite was the Open-Faced Mock Tuna Salad Shitpile: $0.99 tuna packet, free slice of Kirkland Signature Multigrain toast, free binding slurry of whipped cream cheese and whole grain mustard, free bag of chips on the side (Pirate's Booty in moments of temperance, Cheddar Jalapeno Crunch Cheetos on days when I was feeling DANGEROUSLY CHEESY®), and you're refueled and ready to go for another 5 hours of bleary-eyed keyboard touching.

When we were sent to work from home in mid-March I spent about two weeks dutifully preparing modern ploughman's platters and clean-out-the-fridge stir-fries for lunch before getting an awful craving for another Tuna Shitpile. I bought my own whipped cream cheese and mustard, upgraded(?) the toast to Pepperidge Farm Butter Bread and the chips to Great Lakes, and now eat this garbage literally every day. You can take the animal out of the cage but you can't take the cage out of the animal

My dog is wondering why I'm laughing here. Great stuff.
    -Mary
  • Post #64 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm
    Post #64 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm Post #64 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm
    Darren72 wrote:method courtesy of Modernist Cuisine. A pound of fresh tuna, cubed.

Modernist, cubed, ha, good one.

The GP wrote:My dog is wondering why I'm laughing here. Great stuff.

Long as his name isn't Harvey you're good. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more